Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Colt 45 Malt LiquorColt 45 Malt Liquor

Pabst Brewing Company
pabstbrewingco.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Introduced in 1963 by the Baltimore, Maryland-based National Brewing Company, Colt 45 was named in honor of running back Jerry Hill, who was #45 on the 1963 Baltimore Colts football team. Through high-profile partnerships with actor Billy Dee Williams and comedian Redd Foxx — who both appeared in radio, print, and TV advertisements – Colt 45 established itself as the premier malt liquor beverage by the early 1970s.

It was also during this time that the iconic slogan, “Works Every Time,” became synonymous with the brand. The Williams relationship lasted for nearly four decades, until he passed the torch to music mogul, Snoop Dogg in 2010.

With Snoop at the helm, we’ve entered an exciting new Colt 45 era.

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 08-24-2001

2.7

4.75/5  rDev +114%

3.75/5  rDev +68.9%

2.94/5  rDev +32.4%

2012 Colt 45 - Reviewed 11/11/2012

Appearance: Looks like beer, I really can’t think of any more adjectives that I haven't already used in describing every other 40 I've reviewed thusfar. Not as beer colored as regular beer. Not as day-glo orange as hurricane.

Smell: Citrusy and piney on the nose, slight hints of vanilla and bourbon caress the senses. Also smells a bit like soap. or actually more like hand moisturizer.

Taste: Billy Dee Williams wasn't bullsh*tting when he exclaimed that Colt 45, "works every time." I think he means that Colt 45 tastes like the ghetto man's chloroform. By my estimation, it would take 1.35 Colt 45's to incapacitate even the most portly of ladies... but I digress. Colt flows smooth and sweet with cornyness on par with the fact that they made Lando Calrissian their spokesperson. Light hints of the aforementioned moisturizer come through right after the astringent alcohol burn.

Mouthfeel: Slimy, like owls boogers. I think they make it that way so that once you put it in your mouth, it slips into your belly before you have a chance to spit it out. On the plus side, this does make Colt 45 one of the most drinkable malt liquors to date, assuming drinkability is measured by 40's per hour. [Mental note: invent a vehicle in which its speed measured in 40's per hour.]

Overall: Afroman didn't write a song about Olde English, because there is no better way to enjoy a night of easy livin' like a Colt 45 and a couple of spliffs. [Now legal for recreational us in Colorado and Washington.] Weighing in at 6.1% alcohol by volume, Colt is the second most boozy beer we've tasted this year. Want to get ghetto girl wasted without having to sacrifice your taste buds? Look no further than Colt 45. It works every time.

2.5/5  rDev +12.6%

1.25/5  rDev -43.7%

2.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Was broke and wanted a beer. Not my proudest moment buying this stuff but for a couple bucks for a 40 who cares. It was expired a few months and came with a free one. Smells like old Budweiser that's been left in a red solo cup all night. I took a swig and damn it was so bad I spit it on my windshield. Tasted like old gym socks and pig feed corn. I threw that bottle out the window of my car. Nasty terrible stuff. Afroman lied to us

1.75/5  rDev -21.2%