Stag | Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Brewing Company

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by winomark on 11-02-2003

Reviews: 63 | Ratings: 162

One of the little delights in my life: driving around the Belleville area, the original home of Stag, and seeing the large billboards that exclaim Stag is 'not for beginners'. And being one of the more diabetic-friendly beers, it certainly is for people who spent their entire lives drinking and eating midwestern food.

Pours a faint yellow with lots of fizz- a 3 finger white head that recedes about as quickly as it forms. Nose gives off that typical adjunct character- stale malt, touch of lemon and touch of booze- while the light-bodied palate showcases a flavorless interplay of dry grain and bread crust flavors. There's a faint corn-like sweetness and a big carbonation, while the bitterness comes in on the finish bring a bit of booziness and leaving a bit of dryness and juiciness.

There are beers out there that, no matter how bad, still leave you with the impressions of your first few years drinking, forming friendships that last a lifetime yada yada blah blah. For some people, its Bud. Could be PBR. I don't give a shit. For me, it's Stag. This is a matter of hometown pride, and this beer can't get any better.

4.76/5  rDev +54.5%

I have had this beer many, many times, and I am going to review it for what it is - probably the best macro or adjunct lager you will ever find. I have had it on tap, from can, and from bottle. Tap is definitely the best, although none are bad. This beer is unbeatable for drinking with any outdoor activity or during hot weather. It's also very inexpensive, with a case running $11-12. It's a simple, straightforward, easy drinking beer that's great for any purpose other than connoisseur-like critiquing.

A - Pale golden, standard lager color. Not much head, what there is fades pretty quickly.

S - It's a little grainy with a tinge of hops - the aroma is not overpowering at all.

T - Standard lager, somewhat robust but very dry. Almost no aftertaste. Smooth, with no offensive flavors.

M - Crisp and light, without being weak or transparent...as the style should be.

D - In my opinion, there is no beer with better drinkability than Stag. It's refreshing, tastes great, and leaves you feeling fine the next day.

4.45/5  rDev +44.5%

I used to think this beer was a joke, until drinking it at the bowling alley. I tried it along with budweiser, and realized it was much much better. usually I like the craft beers,but this beer holds its own. Its also one of the cheapest.

I poured it into a pilsner glass from a bottle. It had a 1 finger head that dissapeared after about 25 seconds leaving nearly no trace on the edge.

the smell at first was very distintive, a slightly fermented apple smell followed by an earthy grape. the smell only lasted the first min.

the taste is slightly fruity at first followed by seltzer with a pleasant very light tangy desert after taste

has a pleasant tingly feel especialy after (it goes down way too fast to notice during!!)

excelent drinkablity sometimes even quenching

4.36/5  rDev +41.6%

A really good beer but nothing fancy. It's a thirst quencher perfect for hot days or for watching a game. Beer snobs may not appreciate it but I'd be willing to bet that in a blind test against other lagers it would do quite well. It's shame it's only available in three states these days - MO, IL, and AR. Closest place I can it is in Joplin, MO so I always bring a case back when go through there to see relatives.

4.2/5  rDev +36.4%

Can't add anything to prior reviews. For what it is, it's very good - not merely drinkable/tolerable but actually enjoyable. I moved from Illinois some years back and always grab a few cases on my way back east. Because that never lasts long, I welcome any recommendations from those who enjoy Stag of of nationwide beers that are comparable.

4.1/5  rDev +33.1%

Tried this on tap at a dive-ish bar in Edwardsville, IL. After learning that we had never tried it before, the waitress warned us it is "an acquired taste." We daringly proceeded.

Served in a frosted glass, this beer resembled any other macro lager though the bartender thankfully put a little head on the beer.

I was curious to learn just what this "acquired taste" was... I mean, we're not talking a Rauchbier or a sour here. How acquired can a macro lager be? One whiff of the nose told me what it was: sulfur. Whatever lager yeast they use is quite sulfury, particularly for a macro lager. Personally, I enjoy a slight sulfur bite out of my lagers, and any character from a macro is welcomed by me.

The taste confirmed the smell. It was quite clean up front, with some malt flavor but slightly watered down in the grand tradition of the macro lager. I didn't really pick up any adjuncts, but at the same time it was pretty cold. I did notice a nice malt presence for an adjunct lager and, again, a slight sulfury bite which gave it a nice mineral edge. It almost reminded me of a watered down Dortmunder.

While it had just enough hops to keep it from being sweet, it had a wonderfully smooth finish. You know how most macros leave that slightly skunky bitter taste in your mouth? This one was nice and clean. Between the slight sulfur character and the crisp finish, I found this to really stand out from most macros. Sadly, I've never seen it here in Chicago. However, along with Schlitz Gusto, I think this is a great example of how adjunct lagers don't have to suck. I'm not saying they'll compete with a Bamberger Kellerbier or anything, but this would be infinitely more refreshing after a softball game than a Bud Select or a Miller Lite.

3.98/5  rDev +29.2%

A- Very pale, very clear beer. Three inch white fizzy head with quite a bit of effervescence. Hey, there's even some lacing and a little head retention.

S- Smells "clean".

T- Crisp, clean...no off putting flavors. Hint of pale malt sweetness...hops are hard to find.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Mid to low carbonation.

D/O- Damn, this is easily the best AAL I've ever had. Nothing offensive, just easy drinking. I'd take this any day over the common lager swill that's everywhere. Graded to style.

3.73/5  rDev +21.1%

I traveled to the wonderful city of St. Louis over the 4th of July weekend for a wedding and upon arriving me and some buddies decided to hit up a gas station in search of some local brews. We found this incredible gem for only $7 a 12 pack. You can even get a 4 pack of tallboys for only $2.97.

Needless to say this became the beer of the weekend and a hit at the bachelor party. It doesn't try to be anything more than it needs to be. A simple label that describes just what this is: Beer.

3.71/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had this in a bottle, poured into a pilsner glass awhile back and enjoyed it.

Stag used to have a bad reputation around these parts when I was a kid. But I needed a cheap lawnmower beer, and this caught my eye. Glad it did !!!

Appearance is exactly what you expect from an AAL. Pale yellow, with little lacing on my glass.

Smell was not as offensive as most AALs. Lacked the chemical smell, for one. Pleasant.

Suprisingly fresh taste. Not as corny as PBR or Schlitz. Nice finish, as long as it stayed cool. Very clean for the style.

Mouthfeel fits the style. Not too fizzy. Not too slick. It didn't get lost in the carbonation like so many other AALs. Bud comes to mind... By the time the fizz leaves, there's nothing left to enjoy.

Over all, this and PBR make the top of my lawnmower list. Not my favorite by any means, but when rated to style, it holds its own very well. $7.00 for 12 bottles doesn't hurt much either !!!!

3.68/5  rDev +19.5%

Stag has a thick, white head and a very clear, yellow to golden color. Carbonation is very high. Aroma is faint, but typical for an American-style adjunct lager. The taste is nice, with a tad more hop character than one normally gets with these types of beers. Mouth-feel is light and watery, and Stag finishes crisp and refreshing. Overall, this is a good, solid lager, and I recommend giving it a try. It is not sold in Louisiana.

3.67/5  rDev +19.2%

For Me this beer is a blast from the past. Stag dissappered from our area about 30 years ago. Found it on a recent road trip to the STL MO. area; just had to buy some and bring it home. I found that it pours with small head of foam that rapidly dissappers. Goes down real good and seems be a great thirst quencher; something that would be great to enjoy after a hot afternoon of yard work or ect. It does have a slight metallic taste that lingers but not unlike that I have experianced in other like beers. Would love to try Stag in a bottle Over-all I enjoyed the case I brought home and look forward to my next trip to STL.MO. I will indeed buy more.

3.65/5  rDev +18.5%

A friend from work brought this back for me from Nashville, Illinois as he said it was one of the best american macros he'd had. I eagerly went home ahd put the 12-pk of stag in my fridge.

apperanace = drank from a bottle but I'm imagining it's the typical pale color with heavy carbonation

smell = very pleasant with a little bit og hops aroma

taste = surprisingly crisp and refreshing with some definite hops undertones. very inoffensive and very similar to pbr and lone star

mouthfeel = somwhere between light bodied and medium bodied

drinkability = very high. this beer goes down easy and isn't too filling. also, I drank one of these before it was very cold and it was still very drinkable. In my opinion that speaks well of any beer.

3.65/5  rDev +18.5%

A: On tap, in a mug. In a dive bar. Golden, yellow, fizzy macro-ish.

S: Corn, malts.

T: Follows smell. No aftertaste.

M: Light, not offensive. Needs to stay COLD.

D: Big time. Better than normal BMC. This brewery was located just a mile or so away, until they closed up in the 1980's. Back then, it was pretty much known a crap beer.

3.63/5  rDev +17.9%

A-pale straw yellow with thin white head and no lacing

S-hardly a trace of anything,just a tiny hint of grassy hops

T-grains and malts upfront with good hops not far behind,nice blend of sweetness(not sugary)and earthy dry goodness

M-a bit thin,but good body for a light macro(diabetics beer of choice"as sugar free as beer can be")

D-I will choose this over a BMC anyday

3.62/5  rDev +17.5%

Can to glass stein that holds 24 ounces.

A - Appearance is a golden color like the can. Even says on the can Golden Quality since 1851. This has to be a champion.

S - Strange corn quality. And a unique bile smell. Im not knocking on it just saying what comes to the nostrils.

T - Wow. Taste nothing like the smell. Its bubbly and watery. But it doesnt have any after taste, or any weird burping or belching effects like some really high carbonated beers. Surprized to say the least. Im glad I reviewed it and that the PBR I was looking for was gone.

M - Like I said. Medium carbonation. Watery. Thin. As expected.

D - Extremely high. Im thinking im going to quit drinking water. Just drink stag from now on. Plus I like the way the cans look sitting in random flat surfaces around my house.

Final result. Its easy to drink. Its cheap. And its an alternative to the other beers in its class. PBR is a new favorite of mine stacking in at under $12 bucks a case. Same goes for Stag.

I know now that PBR and Stag are new "Utility" beers as stated by another advocate member and I fully agree.

This beer gets what is deserved. Not because its a great tasting or unique beer. It does what its intended for. College beer if you will.

I will buy it again.

3.57/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed in a can, you're not supposed to pour Stag into a glass. Best by 07/22/2013.

A: Awesome gold can with a retro feel. "Golden quality since 1851" Retro in a manly way.

S: Malt, corn, grassy hops.

T: Very malt forward for an AAL. Much more of a malt presence than just about any I've had. No metallic or corny off-flavors. Clean malt flavor with a bit of corn syrup and a light, grassy hops finish. Great for the style.

M: Light-bodied but not watery. A tang of carbonation and just a slight hops bitterness.

O: A very solid AAL. This was going to be my new go-to 'cheap' beer, but I'm being told it's not going to be distributed in my area much longer. Will have to pick some up whenever I'm in St. Louis or pay a premium to get it from someone who may still be stocking it here in KC.

3.51/5  rDev +14%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Look: It took a very hard pour to produce a decent head, and it didn't last for very long. Negligible lacing left behind. The color is a clear, pale gold- pretty much what you expect with this style.

Smell: Lightly sweet grain aroma, with a very slight touch of grassy hops.

Taste: Middle of the road grain and corn flavors, not overly sweet or dry. Finishes with a tight dryness. A very slight hint of grassy hop flavor lingers on the tongue. I started drinking it nearly ice cold, but it actually tastes better as it warms a bit. The sweetness of the grain and the dryness of the finish seem to be more balanced at higher temperatures.

Feel: Medium-bodied, with a bright and tingly carbonated bite.

Verdict: A fine enough no-frills lager. It doesn't leave a lasting impression, but it gets the job done- and I really like that you don't have to drink it at ice cold temperatures to enjoy it. It'd be perfect for a summer cookout.

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

This beer brings back memories of living in St. Louis in my younger years with my dad having some Stag in the fridge most of the time. I used to consider Stag as a lower class or trashy bitter beer. My palate has certainly changed since then.

My can of Stag poured a lemony yellow into my pint glass with a big 1 inch white head that quicky left. Lots of carbonation in this one.

Not a lot of smell which is a plus for me in an adjunct lager. Maybe a faint whiff of corn or cereal grains. The taste is dominated by corn and some hops bringing a crisp dry flavor. Maybe a touch of alcohol as well. I do like this better than BMC.

It has a typical thin mouthfeel but this is refreshing when cold and goes down easy. And at $7 for a 12 pack (even cheaper on sale) this makes for a good cheap beer to have on these hot summer days. The distribution is rather limited so I will have to buy some more Stag the next time I am in the St. Louis area.

3.49/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is a clear golden color with a medium sized white head. The aroma is big on grain and rice(?). The flavor is your basic AAL with grass, grain and some mild hops. Overall, a fair AAL.

3.42/5  rDev +11%

This is by far the best domestic pale lager out there. Grabbed a 12 pack while passing through St Louis. Worth the stop, shudda picked up more.

Would take a warm Stag over a cold BMC any day.

Pour is pale, slight head and lace. Crisp and refreshing, kinda hoppy.

This is something to add to the Hamms, PBR, Old Style summer outdoor beer rotation - just have to get near St Louis to retrieve.

3.42/5  rDev +11%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

There is a substance to this beer.

It's the kind of thing that could be easily overlooked, if you're used to drinking other, more substantial beers. But when held against other American Adjuncts... this one has something going on.

It's thicker, for one. The pour is weak but the body is creamy.

And it's got a more pronounced cereal grain taste. The flavor is of thickness. And so's the smell.

But here's the thing: this don't taste like an especially good adjunct, cus there's not enough hops. And it don't taste like a good all-malt, because the malt ain't that complex. As a matter of fact, all I can taste is smoothness, like I'm drinking exceptionally pleasant air.

It's nice, but bizarrely unclassifiable. What original Coors is to Bud, this is to PBR. Neither beers cares that much about anything that most BA's care about, but at least Stag pays attention to mouthfeel. And, well, when mouthfeel is the only thing you pay attention to, you wind up with a completely drinkable, oddly pleasant retro brew.

3.4/5  rDev +10.4%

This was first brewed in my hometown of Belleville, Illinois i live right close to the old brewery. This stuff is decent it's not as watered down as most mass produced macro lagers. Appearance is yellowish hue smells sorta like corn with a very very little hop presence. More taste then you would expect. No sugar at all The Diabetic Beer! It goes down pretty smooth no bad after taste. It isn't the best beer in the world but its worth a try its not hard to go down so very easy to drink a couple. STAG ! GOLDEN Quality.

3.38/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours clear pale yellowish gold with a big 2 finger head that left spotted lacing down the glass

smells of sweet cereal/corn and light grassy hops

taste is ok - sweet corn/cereal some hops some sulfur

mouthfeel is a little watery but who cares it tastes good - nice and crisp dry finish - maybe a bit over carbonated

drinkability is ok- this will now be my cheap brew staple in my fridge

3.35/5  rDev +8.8%

Sometimes we get so caught up in looking for the next great beer we forget to slow down and smell the roses. Sometimes its OK to drink an "ordinary" beer.

Can poured into a pint glass. Best by Aug, 6th of 2012.

A- Pours an extremely clear light colored straw yellow with 2 fingers of fizzy white head that quickly goes away leaving no lacing whatsoever.

S- Very litte in the aroma dept. Kinda yeasty, bready, some canned corn.

T- Taste is crisp, probably from the adjuncts in it, but theres something about it that is refreshing on hot summer days.

M- Thicker than most American Adjunct Lagers. Not near as high carbonation as some either.

O- If you want an easy drinker that is around 8 bucks for a 12 pack, and not the Macro Light Lagers that everybody else buys. Pick this up. Like I said before, sometimes it's OK to drink "ordinary" or "regular" beer.

3.33/5  rDev +8.1%

as sugar free as beer can be, stag around here is still viewed as a lowely poor mans beer, but isn't bad. has a decent dark lager color with an average smell. above average taste, for a macro lager. it is a decent go to beer. and being as cheap as it is, a real bargain

Stag from Pabst Brewing Company