Stag | Pabst Brewing Company

Smell |5| Like a spring-fed river
Taste |5| Golden delicious
Feel |5| Like a real man, finally
Overall |5| The perfect Stag

I love me some Steak Taters And Gravy!!

One of the little delights in my life: driving around the Belleville area, the original home of Stag, and seeing the large billboards that exclaim Stag is 'not for beginners'. And being one of the more diabetic-friendly beers, it certainly is for people who spent their entire lives drinking and eating midwestern food.

Pours a faint yellow with lots of fizz- a 3 finger white head that recedes about as quickly as it forms. Nose gives off that typical adjunct character- stale malt, touch of lemon and touch of booze- while the light-bodied palate showcases a flavorless interplay of dry grain and bread crust flavors. There's a faint corn-like sweetness and a big carbonation, while the bitterness comes in on the finish bring a bit of booziness and leaving a bit of dryness and juiciness.

There are beers out there that, no matter how bad, still leave you with the impressions of your first few years drinking, forming friendships that last a lifetime yada yada blah blah. For some people, its Bud. Could be PBR. I don't give a shit. For me, it's Stag. This is a matter of hometown pride, and this beer can't get any better.

4.76/5  rDev +57.1%

I have had this beer many, many times, and I am going to review it for what it is - probably the best macro or adjunct lager you will ever find. I have had it on tap, from can, and from bottle. Tap is definitely the best, although none are bad. This beer is unbeatable for drinking with any outdoor activity or during hot weather. It's also very inexpensive, with a case running $11-12. It's a simple, straightforward, easy drinking beer that's great for any purpose other than connoisseur-like critiquing.

A - Pale golden, standard lager color. Not much head, what there is fades pretty quickly.

S - It's a little grainy with a tinge of hops - the aroma is not overpowering at all.

T - Standard lager, somewhat robust but very dry. Almost no aftertaste. Smooth, with no offensive flavors.

M - Crisp and light, without being weak or transparent...as the style should be.

D - In my opinion, there is no beer with better drinkability than Stag. It's refreshing, tastes great, and leaves you feeling fine the next day.

4.65/5  rDev +53.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Excellent lager. A lot of people will turn their nose up to a cheap beer but Stag really is great.

4.53/5  rDev +49.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I have been lurking on this site for years and never have rated a beer, so I figured my home town beer would be the most fitting beer to use to post my first review.

Look-Golden, this beer looks like Friday night family movie night watching my father slam them back because he worked all week in the strip mines and he deserved this golden easy drinking beer.

Smell- Nothing over powering, some cereal, a hint of sweetness even if this is one the most diabetic friendly beer out there.

Taste- This is an easy drinking beer that actually has flavor. It is certainly not an IBU 90 but it isn't the typical cheap tasteless water down adjunct beer either.

Overall- This is the beer of our fathers where I am from. It is available on tap in every bar, you can buy a 12 pack for $8 or less at every gas station so when I go home to the St Louis area this is always my go to beer.

4.5/5  rDev +48.5%

4.45/5  rDev +46.9%

I used to think this beer was a joke, until drinking it at the bowling alley. I tried it along with budweiser, and realized it was much much better. usually I like the craft beers,but this beer holds its own. Its also one of the cheapest.

I poured it into a pilsner glass from a bottle. It had a 1 finger head that dissapeared after about 25 seconds leaving nearly no trace on the edge.

the smell at first was very distintive, a slightly fermented apple smell followed by an earthy grape. the smell only lasted the first min.

the taste is slightly fruity at first followed by seltzer with a pleasant very light tangy desert after taste

has a pleasant tingly feel especialy after (it goes down way too fast to notice during!!)

excelent drinkablity sometimes even quenching

4.36/5  rDev +43.9%

A really good beer but nothing fancy. It's a thirst quencher perfect for hot days or for watching a game. Beer snobs may not appreciate it but I'd be willing to bet that in a blind test against other lagers it would do quite well. It's shame it's only available in three states these days - MO, IL, and AR. Closest place I can it is in Joplin, MO so I always bring a case back when go through there to see relatives.

4.25/5  rDev +40.3%

4.2/5  rDev +38.6%

Can't add anything to prior reviews. For what it is, it's very good - not merely drinkable/tolerable but actually enjoyable. I moved from Illinois some years back and always grab a few cases on my way back east. Because that never lasts long, I welcome any recommendations from those who enjoy Stag of of nationwide beers that are comparable.

4.1/5  rDev +35.3%

Tried this on tap at a dive-ish bar in Edwardsville, IL. After learning that we had never tried it before, the waitress warned us it is "an acquired taste." We daringly proceeded.

Served in a frosted glass, this beer resembled any other macro lager though the bartender thankfully put a little head on the beer.

I was curious to learn just what this "acquired taste" was... I mean, we're not talking a Rauchbier or a sour here. How acquired can a macro lager be? One whiff of the nose told me what it was: sulfur. Whatever lager yeast they use is quite sulfury, particularly for a macro lager. Personally, I enjoy a slight sulfur bite out of my lagers, and any character from a macro is welcomed by me.

The taste confirmed the smell. It was quite clean up front, with some malt flavor but slightly watered down in the grand tradition of the macro lager. I didn't really pick up any adjuncts, but at the same time it was pretty cold. I did notice a nice malt presence for an adjunct lager and, again, a slight sulfury bite which gave it a nice mineral edge. It almost reminded me of a watered down Dortmunder.

While it had just enough hops to keep it from being sweet, it had a wonderfully smooth finish. You know how most macros leave that slightly skunky bitter taste in your mouth? This one was nice and clean. Between the slight sulfur character and the crisp finish, I found this to really stand out from most macros. Sadly, I've never seen it here in Chicago. However, along with Schlitz Gusto, I think this is a great example of how adjunct lagers don't have to suck. I'm not saying they'll compete with a Bamberger Kellerbier or anything, but this would be infinitely more refreshing after a softball game than a Bud Select or a Miller Lite.

4.01/5  rDev +32.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.98/5  rDev +31.4%

A- Very pale, very clear beer. Three inch white fizzy head with quite a bit of effervescence. Hey, there's even some lacing and a little head retention.

S- Smells "clean".

T- Crisp, clean...no off putting flavors. Hint of pale malt sweetness...hops are hard to find.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Mid to low carbonation.

D/O- Damn, this is easily the best AAL I've ever had. Nothing offensive, just easy drinking. I'd take this any day over the common lager swill that's everywhere. Graded to style.

3.75/5  rDev +23.8%

3.75/5  rDev +23.8%

3.73/5  rDev +23.1%

I traveled to the wonderful city of St. Louis over the 4th of July weekend for a wedding and upon arriving me and some buddies decided to hit up a gas station in search of some local brews. We found this incredible gem for only $7 a 12 pack. You can even get a 4 pack of tallboys for only $2.97.

Needless to say this became the beer of the weekend and a hit at the bachelor party. It doesn't try to be anything more than it needs to be. A simple label that describes just what this is: Beer.

3.71/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had this in a bottle, poured into a pilsner glass awhile back and enjoyed it.

Stag used to have a bad reputation around these parts when I was a kid. But I needed a cheap lawnmower beer, and this caught my eye. Glad it did !!!

Appearance is exactly what you expect from an AAL. Pale yellow, with little lacing on my glass.

Smell was not as offensive as most AALs. Lacked the chemical smell, for one. Pleasant.

Suprisingly fresh taste. Not as corny as PBR or Schlitz. Nice finish, as long as it stayed cool. Very clean for the style.

Mouthfeel fits the style. Not too fizzy. Not too slick. It didn't get lost in the carbonation like so many other AALs. Bud comes to mind... By the time the fizz leaves, there's nothing left to enjoy.

Over all, this and PBR make the top of my lawnmower list. Not my favorite by any means, but when rated to style, it holds its own very well. $7.00 for 12 bottles doesn't hurt much either !!!!

Stag from Pabst Brewing Company