Lone Star Beer

Gots
SCORE
Poor
Lone Star BeerLone Star Beer
Notes: - Lone Star Beer uses the finest hops from the Pacific Northwest with hearty grains from the Central and Northern Plains. Malted barley and corn extract combine to provide Lone Star with nature's finest ingredients for brewing. Lone Star's ingredients give this beer its full natural flavor. The choicest hops lend complexity and aroma to this beer, and its proprietary mashing regimen creates the perfect balance of alcohol, body, and character.
- ABV% 4.65
- Calories 136
Reviews: 257 | Ratings: 873
2.79/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours golden yellow with a small white head. Smells of corny grain, not much else. Tastes of grainy malt, not much else. Beer is heavily carbonated and easy drinking. Overall, a slightly below average beer.

3.72/5  rDev +48.2%

A: Crystal clear golden straw color, 1/2 inch white head, little lacing
S: Smells malty but the hops are present as well
T: Sweet malts, hops there to balance, really malty aftertaste. Can definitely get the sweet adjuncts in there.
M: Light
O: Classic american lager, great for the warm weather. Love this beer, Ill have it every chance I get.

3.42/5  rDev +36.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass
Appearance - The beer pours a golden color with a one finger head of white foam. The head fades fast leaving a tiny bit of lace on the sides of the glass.
Smell - The aroma of the beer is a bready and grainy nature with a little bit of herbal and grassy hop.
Taste - The taste begins with a clean malt flavor that is composed of a bready and light grainy taste. As the taste advances it seems to sweeten a little bit with some caramel coming to the tongue. Toward the end a little bit of herbal hop meets the flavors to create a slightly sweet (for a lager) but crisp taste to linger on the tongue.
Mouthfeel - The body of the brew is on the slightly lighter and thinner side with a carbonation level that is average. The feel is good overall and creates a very easy drinking summer style feel.
Overall - A rather easy drinking american lager. Nothing out of the ordinary, but pleasant none the less. A good summer style sessioning brew.

I think the picture of a Lone Star in a can prejudices the reviews. Bottled Lone Star, or any beer for that matter, isn't the same canned Lone Star, For the life of me I don't know why anyone would drink beer from a can unless that was all that was available and you were dying from thirst. Then, yeah, I can see looking past the metallic taste of aluminum.

Lone Star is a decent American Lager and the only American beer I buy on occasion from what I normally consume which is pretty much any Mexican beer. Well, I'll have Shiner every now and then and a Celis White on tap whenever I run into it, but at the convenience store and if Im a little short on cash, Lone Star is the go to beer. Drink it ice cold especially on hot Texas summer days....like right now. *Ahhhh* hits the spot mi amigos.

2.43/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 3

Don't miss the point of this beer. It's cheap ( < 10 bucks a 12 pack bottles), and its from Texas, which means it has mojo. This is the beer you wanna drink Ice cold ( actually, it's much better closer to freezing point) while trying to bag some old wreck at a South Texas ice house while an out of tune crummy band plays "Amarillo by morning".
But drink it in bottles as close to freezing as you can..I think QC isn't get so it's hit or miss, I think it's a dregs beer they use as factory run out for other beers..sometimes you get a good batch,other times not so much, but thats a guess.
I like the musky charahter as a change of pace when you can't taste other beers like Bud or Coors( which sometimes really have a very clean crisp ricey taste on a hot day). I give it a 3.5 as far as american macro lagers go.
Side note, they used to brew Lonestar from time immemorial in San Antonio Texas ( anyone rememeber Pearl beer brewery San Antonio, Tx?). I'm sure Lone Star was much better then back 75 years ago, and that the formulae has changed to to cost economics. The stuff I get is brewed in Ft. Worth Tx., and shippd to south centl Tx. where I stay, and is relatively fresh according to the date label. It may taste better in winter not having to sit on the broiling hot texas trucks for distibution.

2.7/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

473 mL can from the LCBO; dated Mar 28 2019 and served well chilled. Picked a few cans of this up (on sale) a while back for a mere $2 each, which is as cheap as tallboys get around here. Listed at 4.9%, brewed by Sleeman (in Guelph) for "Stroh Canada", so this one's in a similar boat as PBR and the other Pabst-owned labels that are sold in the Great White North.

Pours clear, effervescent and straw-yellow, producing one finger of foamy white head that evaporates within the next minute or so. A filmy cap and frothy collar remain in place; looks fine to me. It smells of grainy, cereal malts, cardboard and corny sweetness, more or less nailing my expectations for the lower end of this style.

A proper cheapskate adjunct lager, in that it's bland and very nearly inoffensive. Grainy malts, corn husk and wet cardboard come to mind, with some corn sugar sweetness and hay towards the finish. More corn husk and hay in the aftertaste. Light-ish in body, with below average carbonation levels that gently prickle the palate, providing a bit of frothiness to the mouthfeel. Not very crisp, and I wouldn't want another one after this, but it's just inoffensive enough to be tolerable when served cold as intended.

Final Grade: 2.7, a C minus. I've got just over a dozen lagers queued up for review, and I sincerely hope the rest aren't as lame as Lone Star, because this is one of the least impressive beers I've had in a while. Don't get me wrong - there's nothing astoundingly bad about this beer, at least as far as macro lagers go... and if it were always $2 a can, I think it would actually sell quite well in this market. As it stands, this is basically interchangeable with PBR, or any number of similar so-called "value" brands - yeah, you could do worse, but that's not much of an endorsement.

3.2/5  rDev +27.5%

It is basic beer meant for drinking for a decent price...therefore the highish rate... If you got a batch that was temperature abused then it may have sour taste. Just basic beer no more no less...if you are a fan of Pabst products or Heilman this fits right into that stable.

1.63/5  rDev -35.1%

My 473ml can says Stroh Canada, Guelph Ontario. Is this brewed under license by the Sapporo owned Sleeman Brewery in Guelph?? I decided to try it again because we drank it when my brother got his Masters degree (in engineering) in Austin Texas and when we visited Chicago's Blues Festival in the mid to late '80s and because It cost $1.45 per can for the May 24 weekend, it hasn't improved.
Pale piss yellow, with a quick diminishing white head that leaves no lacing.
Smells like the inside of a cheap tavern, simply stale beer and tastes like every other cheap American beer. No true malt, no discernible hops
Like Brazilian swill beer, it should be drunk as cold as possible, at about-3C if possible for the best flavour!.
I won't be buying this again.

3.16/5  rDev +25.9%

Crystal clear medium gold color with an average white head. Smell is a little sweet but faint. Taste is what you expect beer to taste like. This taste like what your dad and uncles drank. It’s not pretentious or uppity, it’s a good bargain as well, a sixer of pints for $4.65. I must also say that this beer needs to be drank as cold as possible. It starts to taste pretty bad after it starts to warm a little. The notes above says it’s from Los Angeles but the cans I have say brewed in Fort Worth. I remember when it was brewed in San Antonio. I went on the brewery tour several times.

2.5/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Drank a fair bit of this on while I was working in the TX, OK, AR area. Wasn't the best beer. Was kind of sweet and bitter at the same time. Did have some body to it also. About halfway between poor and average.

3.18/5  rDev +26.7%

12oz bottle coded JUN1019 poured into a pilsner glass at fridge temp, no ABV listed on bottle. The beer pours bright light straw yellow with off white head. The head recedes to a thin cap and leaves a little lacing. The aroma is faint with slight yeasty sweetness and an occasional whisper of grassy hops. The taste is watery grain, partially sweet while also giving a hint of tart. The finish is undry and only has the slightest bitterness (not that much is needed to offset the miniscule malt bill). The mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied with above average carbonation. There is a slight aftertaste, but it's not overly soapy or oily. Overall, ok. This is a run of the mill average AAL. I would drink it in Texas or with food if offered, otherwise there are better options.

3.8/5  rDev +51.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Clear golden color with lots of carbonation bubbles. Finger and a half of a crackling white head that is slowly sinking into the beer.

Smells like grains and barley with some sweet corn. Smell is just a bit on the grainy side.

Beer has some of that sweet corn taste. Flavor seems just a bit grainy as well. Really tastes like several other adjunct lagers I could name.

Mouth feel is light and finishes crisp.

Wow! What an inexpensive beer! Not cheap beer just inexpensive. I bought a six pack of long necks at my local Total wine for about $6.50. I could easily see picking up a six or two every now and than at that price. If you like a decent adjunct lager you might give this a try. The low ratings here seem a bit offensive to this beer. It is really not trying to be some pretetious craft beer. Just a good cold refreshing beer. I like it!

I’m reviewing it on draft, 36f in the glass

Crystal-clear bright gold color, plenty of little bubble racing to the top of the glass. 1 inch white pillowy head at the top of this tasting glass gone within a minute and leaves a bit of lacing.

It smells like exactly what it is. Beer. I can’t get anything else out of it. The aroma isn’t overpowering but it isn’t so weak that I have to hunt for it. I can’t detect anything other than just plain ol’ beer. No extra note of anything, just beer.

Mouthfeel is the lightest I’ve had on draft, and I don’t drink light beer. So far in the kegerator I’ve had Shiner Bock, Coors, Shiner Premium/Blonde, Coors again, and now this. Lone Star goes down like water compared to Coors, (which is my personal favorite AAL). Shiner Premium was really light on the mouthfeel as well but not as light as this. This feels like the perfect guzzling beer. If I was trying to race a friend chugging a pitcher this is the beer I’d choose.

Tastewise it just tastes like beer to me. I can’t pick out any yeastiness or breadiness like I can in other AALs but I can’t detect any off notes like butteriness or apple flavor or anything like that either. If I had to describe this beer in one word it would be “simple”. It’s beer. Like water is water. This is an AAL. When an average person says “beer” this is it.

The finish is crisp and clean, there’s nothing left behind afterwards. It doesn’t even feel like I just drank a beer. Maybe there’s just the slightest taste of just having eaten bread. Not unpleasant at all if you like bread, (and I do), EXTREMELY slight, but that’s it.

Overall this is an incredibly simple AAL and that’s actually a compliment. My review of Shiner was a bit more negative because I felt it lacked flavor. Lone Star doesn’t lack flavor, per se, it’s just that it’s flavor profile is incredibly simple to me. I don’t even smell or taste the adjunct that I know is in there, it’s just what I would have considered back in my youth as a stereotypical beer. For $105 out the door for a 1/2 barrel keg I HIGHLY RECOMMEND it if a crushable AAL is what you’re looking for. Bottoms up!

From the super big can, it pours a light golden color with a modest, soon to dissipate head. In the nose, light fresh scent of adjunct, not unpleasant. In the mouth, it is a light lager. Decent, respectable beer for a hot afternoon!

3.04/5  rDev +21.1%

On tap. Yellow color with thin white head that quickly dissipates. Sweet corn smell. Light feel. Sweet malt body with a grassy/floral hop finish. Better than I was expecting.

4.84/5  rDev +92.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great tasting excellent bitter finish that beer should have! Lone Star does not disappoint.
Moved to Austin in January of 19 and was very pleased with the true texas taste!

2.84/5  rDev +13.1%

Many reviews on here have a snooty tone, ripping this regional macrobrew for not being a craft beer. If you bought this expecting something on the order of a Stone or Dogfish Head product, you are an imbecile. If, however, you want a solid cheap microbrew to drink with friends, this is a good choice. Typical yellow American microbrew that goes down smooth with noticeable rice and some corn, but a little more barley than most and only a slightly bitter note on the finish and a modest 4.7 abv. It's tastes like Budweiser used to taste like during its heyday, back before InBev cut corners and turned that beer into undrinkable metallic swill.

3.04/5  rDev +21.1%

Look: Crystal clear pale yellow. Virtually no head.

Smell: Sweet and somewhat spicy corn malt.

Taste: Sweet corn malt with a Diet Coke hollowness, followed by a little dry biscuit flavor.

Mouthfeel: Thin and highly carbonated.

Overall: Basically like any other adjunct lager.

This is an ALL so it what it is . This one is not one of the better one's Like Hamm's or PBR,Old Style Pours pale yellow and clear, malts,rice and corn wit some faint hops. A sweey and crisp moy feel with a watery finish. Drinkable on a 90 degree day at best.

2.2/5  rDev -12.4%

The beer is what you expect. Had it from a bottle in a honky tonk name the Western Club trying out my new two steppin’ skills.

Smell and taste of corn, watery. However, I had a great time while drinking it. Hence the high overall score. You got to give some points for ambiance!

2.57/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

i cant believe i have never reviewed this beer, i feel like i have consumed plenty of it over the years. it truly is one of the worst beers in the game, even in the macro adjunct lager game, there are very few beers out there i would choose this over, but folks in texas sure seem to like it, its all over the place! another pale yellow fizzy brew that cant hold a head but has nice clarity and carbonation visible. it has a very metallic adjunct sort of aroma and flavor, tin and copper and even plastic to me, definitely some corn in this, as its got that thin sweetness in the middle, but i get no lager yeast or hops at all here, so there really isnt much depth or character, and it seems so cheap and metallic to me, i just cant get into it. when its ice cold and i pound it i can get through it, but this warms up with the worst of them, sharp and just totally artificial to me, less refreshing than it should be and really watered down in feel despite nice high carbonation. it6s just a beer, but its near the bottom of this class for me...

2.28/5  rDev -9.2%

Drank from a 12 ounce bottle. Scores are based on the style.

Look - Standard boring brown bottle with some simple labels. It's simplicity speaks to me and looks pretty alright.

Smell - Very corny. Like incredibly strong corn smell. Like cracking into a can of Del Monte corn.

Taste - Really sweet, which isn't surprising from the intense corn smell. The slightest bit of a sour tinge on the end. Flavor comes and goes pretty quickly.

Feel - A medium body with an appropriate amount of carbonation.

Overall - An unexciting beer that I probably won't go for again. Fun to take to a party though, it really stands out visually from other macro brews.

3.39/5  rDev +35.1%

12 oz can poured into pint glass (after half hour in the freezer)

L - Pours a clear, straw yellow with a finger of sudsy white head that dissipates quick and leaves a thin lacing. Lots of bubbles throughout. Comparable to a Miller Lite or, fittingly, PBR.

S - Metallic, grass, cereal grain, corn, typical macro smell, slightly skunky but not terribly offensive.

T - Surprisingly more taste than most other macros. Strong taste of sweet corn up front, grass, citrus, slightly peppery, barley malt, a little astringent alcoholic bite.

F - Light, thin, crisp, very drinkable with lots of carbonation. I can see this being a go-to poolside/BBQ beer somewhere like Texas.

O - Probably a beer best drank ice cold straight out the can. Not the best, not the worst, but it has some character that makes it better than a Bud or Coors Light. Very crisp and drinkable, would pick up again if I spot it.

2.41/5  rDev -4%

Faint cooked hop scent and amber color. The flavor is of sweet grain with a touch of bitter hops. Really not much to it. A medium carbination and thin body. Your typical American macro brew.

2.61/5  rDev +4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Texan here. I used to get this stuff back when they did dollar beers at my local Cefco. I miss that tbh.

Compared to most American lagers, it definitely tastes darker, bolder, and heavier, but generally speaking it's nothing special despite having nothing inherently wrong with it. Try Tarantula Hawk if you want a real taste of Texas.

Lone Star Beer from Pabst Brewing Company