Lone Star Beer

Gots
SCORE
Poor
Lone Star BeerLone Star Beer
Notes: - Lone Star Beer uses the finest hops from the Pacific Northwest with hearty grains from the Central and Northern Plains. Malted barley and corn extract combine to provide Lone Star with nature's finest ingredients for brewing. Lone Star's ingredients give this beer its full natural flavor. The choicest hops lend complexity and aroma to this beer, and its proprietary mashing regimen creates the perfect balance of alcohol, body, and character.
- ABV% 4.65
- Calories 136
View: Beers
Reviews: 261 | Ratings: 892 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by MCMASTERSANCHEZ:
MCMASTERSANCHEZ from Indiana

Jun 12, 2014
eolson from Texas

I've never me a beer I didn't like (except those bearing a Lite or Light in their name). Some are better than others, and some are really good, depending on what your definition of good is. I've had the good fortune of spending 22 years in Uncle Sam's Navy so kind of got to try a lot of brews in their local environs. Lone Star is not that bad. At it's price point it's pretty darned good. I'm not much for smell, look, all the flavors etc. Like Tom T. Hall, "I Like Beer." Asked a friend of mine, a brew master in a micro brewery, what sort of glass or stein was best to drink from. His reply was "The bottle it came in." So that's how I drink it. From the bottle it came in so don't ask me what it looks like. I don't have any idea how to rate it other than spend three hours digging in the dirt in the hot Texas sun and you'll love it. Goes good with BBQ, beans, and good music.

I don't know where anybody got the idea it was brewed in California. They obviously have never read the label or been to Fort Worth, Texas. Head north on I35E through Fort Worth and the brewery is on your right.

Lone Star Beer and Bob Wills Music:

Sep 16, 2015
Ranch-Hand

2.82/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I will start by saying I'm a Hefe, Bock, and Porter guy. Hefe's being my go to, and I grew up on Shiner Bock. I am not a snob when it comes to my beer, or what another person likes or prefers. You will get no judgement from me. Everyone has their taste and budget. Now, that said, Lone Star is a good drinking beer for these hot summer days in Texas. It carries a better taste than most of the other "American" beers and has a refreshing, clean finish. Lone Star is my go to "Economy Beer" for those hot afternoons and evenings after a long day of working outside at my ranch. It has a decent alcohol content and a balanced flavor...not too bitter. A friend (bar owner) turned me back on to Line Star a few years back, and I've been stocking Lone Star in my fridge at my ranch ever since. When I have guests, they always go to the Lone Star over all the other beers and liquor I have.

There is a way I sometimes drink it that adds a little more refreshment...some call it a "Redneck Bloody Mary", others may say it's a "Chelada". I make my Bloody Mary mix and mix it in a tall glass with Lone Star. Sometimes I get lazy and buy Zing Zang BM Mix. I will even mix up a sixer in a jug and take it with me fishing around the ponds. Not a bad way to kick back and enjoy the late Deep East Texas afternoon after a hard days work. No shame in enjoying a decent "Economy Beer".

Jul 28, 2015
nfatoots from Massachusetts

4.7/5  rDev +86.5%

Served in a can. Consumed from said can.

I was being grilled by a couple of company men, and I decided to at least get a beer run out of it. Finally, the sixer of tall boys was placed in front of me. These brews are best enjoyed in dreams that happen in a locked box inside of your head.

Lone Star may also be enjoyed alongside one Reginald Ledoux, on your porch in Carcosa, or in pursuit of the King in Yellow.

Be warned - at the end of every sixer, there's a monster.

Feb 21, 2014
Ike_Potter from Louisiana

1.84/5  rDev -27%

Pretty bad, but I didn't really expect it to be good. We tasted it in a blind taste test with 5 other cheap beers. This was the worst beer we tasted. No smell, weak color, off putting taste, overall pretty poor, but again you get what you pay for with this beer.

Aug 07, 2015
JustinPStewart from Texas

1.72/5  rDev -31.7%

Lone Star, its name and also its rating

Jan 31, 2015
Tarzan1 from California

1.8/5  rDev -28.6%

Lets not kid anybody. This isn't very good beer. It used to be back in the early 70's but a lot of things have changed since then. When I can find it, and that's not very often, I drink it because of the nostalgia effect. I put on some Jerry Jeff , close my eyes and imagine myself 40 years younger driving my 56 Chevy Sedan Delivery around Texas listening to AM radio and going into Austin on occasion to hear some good music at the Armadillo. For that alone its worth the price and the hangover.

Feb 06, 2015
Spikester from Oregon

3.5/5  rDev +38.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

My daughter brought me an 18 pack of cans from Texas. Brewed in Fort Worth, TX.
Poured clear gold with not quite two fingers of white head. Recedes to a ring of white in less than five minutes.
Some spots of lace, not much.
Smell is some bread and a whiff of hops.
Taste is pretty good for the style. Mostly barley malt upfront with a good amount of grassy herbal hops at the end. More hop flavor than I expected.
Mouthfeel was smooth and well carbonated. Finish is sweet then light bitterness. Not overly dry.
Overall a surprisingly tasty main stream American lager. The best by date is only 30 days from expiration too. This would be a fine hot weather beer. "The National beer of Texas."

Nov 01, 2015
wethorseblanket from California

2.38/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Jan 04, 2016
TX-Badger from Texas

2.25/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Pours a clear light golden yellow color with white head. Cereal grains on the nose; follows onto the palate. Light bodied. Finishes with cereal grainy notes.

Jun 08, 2014

3.25/5  rDev +29%

Jun 26, 2012
McAfee85 from Kansas

2.65/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Aug 21, 2014
ruckus232 from Illinois

2.57/5  rDev +2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Apr 17, 2015

2.75/5  rDev +9.1%

Dec 13, 2014
CHickman from New York

2.7/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours clear gold in color with a foamy/fizzy 1 finger white head that dissipates very quickly and leaves zero lacing.

Smells of corn, malt, grains, faint hops and light lemon. Pretty weak overall nose, consistent with a US macro lager aroma.

Tastes like it smells, of corn, malt, grains, light lemon and some very light citrus hops. Pretty much a standard US lager through and through, bringing with it that very basic beer taste that has a grainy aftertaste but no real distinctive flavor. It's beer that seems to be made for mass consumption that disregards taste.

Mouthfeel is very light and crisp with very high and champagne-like carbonation, and an extremely light body. Refreshing and easy to drink, it's watery and kind of boring, and overall an OK beer that's just very dull.

Aug 15, 2010

2.16/5  rDev -14.3%

Sep 02, 2014
ColdPoncho from Ohio

3.37/5  rDev +33.7%

Looking to get to 500 Beer Karma...so close. This is the only thing in my fridge to review right now...Lame.

The neck of the bottle says something about April 04 2011...like it really matters.

The cap twists off quite easily with a quiet and quick fizz.

A - The pour yields a very loose white head that dissipates almost immediately. There is some depth to this fizzy yellow beer, but only the smallest amount.

S - a light smell, malty, touch of green apple - do they use Budweiser's yeast for this?

T - Very light again, no lingering effects on the palate to speak of, enters with a lightly tart apple flavor and leaves with a light malty finish.

M - light and smooth, a touch dry on the swallow.

O (D) - well It's better than I expected. I don't think it's very good. Attempting to review to style.

Jun 04, 2011

1.96/5  rDev -22.2%

Sep 28, 2015
Dajtai007 from Texas

3.62/5  rDev +43.7%

Being a avid craft beer drinker, you need to have a beer that you just have everyday. This is my beer just for that purpose. I've probably had every top notch beer made in the world, but this always sits in my fridge. Its a good cheap beer that does its job well, quenching my thirst after a long day of work. Then I will dig deeper into the fridge and pull out something else to sip on. Its good for what its worth.

Sep 26, 2012