Lone Star Beer | Pabst Brewing Company

Lone Star BeerLone Star Beer

Pabst Brewing Company
pabstbrewingco.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

- Lone Star Beer uses the finest hops from the Pacific Northwest with hearty grains from the Central and Northern Plains. Malted barley and corn extract combine to provide Lone Star with nature's finest ingredients for brewing. Lone Star's ingredients give this beer its full natural flavor. The choicest hops lend complexity and aroma to this beer, and its proprietary mashing regimen creates the perfect balance of alcohol, body, and character.
- ABV% 4.65
- Calories 136

Added by pezoids on 10-19-2001

2.5

Reviews: 222 | Ratings: 762
3.71/5  rDev +48.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This beer has a straw yellow color with a thin white head. It didn't have much of a smell aside from weak hints of wheat. The taste was pretty solid and it had a nice smooth hoppy finish. The carbonation was light but it went down nicely.

2.45/5  rDev -2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color with almost no head and no lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains grain, adjuncts and light malts.

T: The taste starts out with a malt and adjunct sweetness. Then some grain breadiness comes in. There is hops presence is extremely mild and there’s a decent balance for the style. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly bready.

M: Crisp and a little smooth but kind of watery, light body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Not very flavorful, goes down easily and not too filling only because there isn’t much to the beer, mild kick, decent representation of style, even within the style there are better beers available.

4.03/5  rDev +61.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into pilsener
(Oct. 31, 2016 best by date)

L: small head off light pour, 1 finger of white foam, no sticking or lacing; lots of activity in glass

S: grain, sour grain, light sweetness ... almost fruity

T: grain, corn, good amount of malt sweetness ... cracker malt ... no hop presence but a good mix of grain and light-malt flavor

F: crispy clean, easy as it gets

O: Lone Star's been in my life to one degree another for almost all of my 44 years on this rock, so it's hard to cut the bias out here, but I love it ... hadn't had a Lone Star in about four years, and I'm shocked how much malt flavor is in it; for an AAL, it's the best I've tried, and I do actually like a few; this beer is going back in my rotation to stay

Poured into a shaker pint glass but I drank the other 11 were consumed from the can and tasted even better than the score in this review.

Look: Crystal clear light golden waves of grain. Slowly rising bubbles create and hold a white cap. Little or no lacing.

Aroma: Metallic brew tanks. Aluminum. Sweet rice adjuncts. Cereal grains.

Taste: Watery and metallic with beautiful grainy sweetness that makes it taste just like BEER.

Mouthfeel: Slightly carbonated and light.

Overall: The best cheap adjunct of all cheap beers I've consumed. And the fact that someone had to mule this to me two states away makes it even better. Love it.

1.61/5  rDev -35.6%

My nephew bought a six pack of this for me after drinking it following the first season of True Detective. It's not bad as lagers go, but I probably would never have bought it on my own.

2.25/5  rDev -10%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Another one resurrected for the name.

Having spent some time in Texas I remember this from way long ago. Yes, I've tried it somewhat recently, one of those hope triumphs experience moments, and other than marketing can't see why they bothered. Fizzy, light color AAL with some malt, some hops (and I mean some as in little) in an undistinguished package that drinks well enough in the chasing food sense.

Not really bad, not really good, cool label, useful for a theme cookout.

2.06/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

One of those super weak looking super watery pro clarity straw yellow beers with a soapy white head that fades into oblivion like nothing at all in a rushed manner. Aroma was sweetener, corn syrup, rice plain-ness.

Taste was metallic bitter, but otherwise relatively easy to drink. It is what it is.

2.73/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

American adjunct lager. Just had my first one and it's not a bad beer and not a great beer. Looks, smells and tastes like an domestic lager. My impression - good beer with a burger, or just to have one or two after work...

Now if it had a colorful label and unique name like 'muskrat spit IPA' and it cost $9 a six pack, well then the rating would be higher ;) and I could go on about 'feel', 'aroma', etc, but alas it was 5 bucks :(..

2.4/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass, "best by" date 11-30-15.

APPEARANCE: pours a clear, yellow color with less than one-finger white head that quickly dissipated until a thin, broken layer of small bubbles remained, there is moderate lacing, medium carbonation.

SMELL: corn, grass and bread.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, initially sweet and then the taste of corn and a very mild hop presence.

PALATE: medium body and carbonation, a little watery.

OVERALL: this is a low grade lawnmower beer, not much going on here at all, there are much better choices in this style so I will not seek this one out again.

1.49/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

Appearance - The beer poured as clear as yellow tinted water.

Smell - There really was not a distinct smell. Perhaps there were light cereal grains.

Taste - I did not really get a taste. I tried the beer both warm and cold. When cold, there was nothing. When warm, I think I detected a little corn. It is impossible to describe an aftertaste, when there is no initial taste.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation is fairly active, perhaps like carbonated water.

Overall - I will not say it is the worst AAL, but it definitely has the least taste.

1.58/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

This is just another light beer. It's decent, I suppose, but it didn't surprise me and certainly didn't impress me in any area. I just feel like they could do more with it.

3.5/5  rDev +40%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

My daughter brought me an 18 pack of cans from Texas. Brewed in Fort Worth, TX.
Poured clear gold with not quite two fingers of white head. Recedes to a ring of white in less than five minutes.
Some spots of lace, not much.
Smell is some bread and a whiff of hops.
Taste is pretty good for the style. Mostly barley malt upfront with a good amount of grassy herbal hops at the end. More hop flavor than I expected.
Mouthfeel was smooth and well carbonated. Finish is sweet then light bitterness. Not overly dry.
Overall a surprisingly tasty main stream American lager. The best by date is only 30 days from expiration too. This would be a fine hot weather beer. "The National beer of Texas."

I've never me a beer I didn't like (except those bearing a Lite or Light in their name). Some are better than others, and some are really good, depending on what your definition of good is. I've had the good fortune of spending 22 years in Uncle Sam's Navy so kind of got to try a lot of brews in their local environs. Lone Star is not that bad. At it's price point it's pretty darned good. I'm not much for smell, look, all the flavors etc. Like Tom T. Hall, "I Like Beer." Asked a friend of mine, a brew master in a micro brewery, what sort of glass or stein was best to drink from. His reply was "The bottle it came in." So that's how I drink it. From the bottle it came in so don't ask me what it looks like. I don't have any idea how to rate it other than spend three hours digging in the dirt in the hot Texas sun and you'll love it. Goes good with BBQ, beans, and good music.

I don't know where anybody got the idea it was brewed in California. They obviously have never read the label or been to Fort Worth, Texas. Head north on I35E through Fort Worth and the brewery is on your right.

Lone Star Beer and Bob Wills Music:

2.5/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle (dated 02Mar15) into a pilsner glass.
LOOK: Pours with a half finger's worth of white foam that shrivels down to a line after 45 seconds. Gold in color with a high amount of rising bubbles. Lacing is thick and moderate.
SMELL: Difficult to get an aroma... Honestly smells like water that was had white rice sitting in it for a couple of hours. Throw in hints bitter and spicy hops along with subtle wood aromas, and you have the smell of Lone Star.
TASTE: Initial taste is of mild wood and corn grain flavors (weird because it smelled like rice). Mild boiled cabbage flavors along with subtle spicy and bitter hops enter right after as initial flavors continue.
FEEL: Medium-bodied with high amounts of carbonation that feel like my tongue is gonna burn off. Not smooth nor creamy, but does finish with a subtle cripness.
NOTE: This beer isn't even brewed in Texas nor is the parent company from Texas. This beer is an insult to the great country of Texas.

1.84/5  rDev -26.4%

Pretty bad, but I didn't really expect it to be good. We tasted it in a blind taste test with 5 other cheap beers. This was the worst beer we tasted. No smell, weak color, off putting taste, overall pretty poor, but again you get what you pay for with this beer.

2.82/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I will start by saying I'm a Hefe, Bock, and Porter guy. Hefe's being my go to, and I grew up on Shiner Bock. I am not a snob when it comes to my beer, or what another person likes or prefers. You will get no judgement from me. Everyone has their taste and budget. Now, that said, Lone Star is a good drinking beer for these hot summer days in Texas. It carries a better taste than most of the other "American" beers and has a refreshing, clean finish. Lone Star is my go to "Economy Beer" for those hot afternoons and evenings after a long day of working outside at my ranch. It has a decent alcohol content and a balanced flavor...not too bitter. A friend (bar owner) turned me back on to Line Star a few years back, and I've been stocking Lone Star in my fridge at my ranch ever since. When I have guests, they always go to the Lone Star over all the other beers and liquor I have.

There is a way I sometimes drink it that adds a little more refreshment...some call it a "Redneck Bloody Mary", others may say it's a "Chelada". I make my Bloody Mary mix and mix it in a tall glass with Lone Star. Sometimes I get lazy and buy Zing Zang BM Mix. I will even mix up a sixer in a jug and take it with me fishing around the ponds. Not a bad way to kick back and enjoy the late Deep East Texas afternoon after a hard days work. No shame in enjoying a decent "Economy Beer".

1.86/5  rDev -25.6%

Pours a lighter yellow with minimal head and no lacing.
Smells slightly bitter with no other discernable aroma.
Taste is off putting to say the least, no real flavor except bitter.

2.77/5  rDev +10.8%

Say what you want. It's exactly what it claims. A decent honest adjunct beer. I drink lonestar far more than i would like to admit. It's cheap, tasty when cold, and gets the job done in the killer Texas sun. Next to a well crafted beer of just about any style, yes, it falls short. But I almost religiously take a 6er of tall boys with me anytime I play disc golf, fish, hunt, or do anything outside. Its been my go to cheap beer for years and you will be hard pressed to convince me otherwise.

3.31/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A surprisingly drinkable beer from the Lone Star State. One could easily knock down a six-pack in a sitting without batting an eye. All my exes are from Texas.

2.53/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pilsner glass.

Appearance: pours a thick foamy white head that drops slowly with some mild lacing. Color is pale straw with abundant streaming carbonation.
Aroma: mild aroma of corn and a bit of lightly toasted malt.
Mouthfeel: light, crisp with a refreshing dry finish.
Flavor: corn sweetness dominates with the barley sweetness taking a back seat and just a hint of hop presence.
Overall: pedestrian but not offensive. A good lawnmower beer.

2.14/5  rDev -14.4%

Gave it a 2.5 based on nostalgia only. Probably a 2.0 beer. Nothing at all stands out. Kinda musty, almost spoiled tasting. It's like buying Ocean Pacific brand at Walmart. Not real. You are paying for the label only.

1.8/5  rDev -28%

Lets not kid anybody. This isn't very good beer. It used to be back in the early 70's but a lot of things have changed since then. When I can find it, and that's not very often, I drink it because of the nostalgia effect. I put on some Jerry Jeff , close my eyes and imagine myself 40 years younger driving my 56 Chevy Sedan Delivery around Texas listening to AM radio and going into Austin on occasion to hear some good music at the Armadillo. For that alone its worth the price and the hangover.

1.37/5  rDev -45.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Piss beer, I had to try just because. PBR bottled with a different label. This is the kind of beer my grandpa might have liked In boot camp back in the 40s. That being said, it's easy drinking for guys that don't require much out of their brew.

4.92/5  rDev +96.8%

For a basic, go-to American-style lager, Lone Star stands alone at the top of the list. Easily drinkable with a good taste and mouthfeel that pairs perfectly with brisket, steak, hunting, tailgating, etc. Lone Star won't be found at the top of most beer snobs' lists, but it remains an excellent American-style lager and holds a proud place as a staple of this Texan's fridge.

3.31/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. Aroma- Has a strong grain and wheat smell Appearance - A nice murky yellow color that had a small white head. Taste - A grain driven brew, not bad, but I do remember it tasting better 25 years ago. I did notice it is made by a different brewer. Palate- Light-bodied with light carbonation and a semi-dry finish Overall - Not a bad AAL, I preferred the older version but not a bad beer to quaff down

Lone Star Beer from Pabst Brewing Company