Lone Star Beer | Pabst Brewing Company

Lone Star BeerLone Star Beer

Pabst Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

- Lone Star Beer uses the finest hops from the Pacific Northwest with hearty grains from the Central and Northern Plains. Malted barley and corn extract combine to provide Lone Star with nature's finest ingredients for brewing. Lone Star's ingredients give this beer its full natural flavor. The choicest hops lend complexity and aroma to this beer, and its proprietary mashing regimen creates the perfect balance of alcohol, body, and character.
- ABV% 4.65
- Calories 136

Added by pezoids on 10-19-2001

51%

Reviews: 220 | Ratings: 750
3.15/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

So I'm at a Crawfish Boil/Rehearsal Dinner in Orange Texas where the only beers left were Miller and Bud Light. However, I found a case on a bench with this brew. After "borrowing" one, I thought this was the best choice of the night. Nothing real special, other than a nice after taste. Would not have had a chance to try this otherwise.

2.97/5  rDev +19.3%

After reading quite a few reviews, not to many people apparently like this beer. I personally thought it was great. I'd never heard of Lone Star before, especially in the state of Virginia. I bought one not too log ago, served in a bottle, and I gotta tell ya, I really liked it a lot. I think its a perfectly substitute for a Budweiser any day.

2.56/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

As I was driving home from work I heard that the State of the Union Address was to be on TV. Ah, back in the college days we used to play drinking games to this speech (take one drink every time the presidents party gives him a standing ovation, etc.). An inidvidual could get plowed in an hour sometimes. I decided I needed something approporiate for the occasion. Then I remembered, the local grocery has six packs of Lone Star. Macro (or regional?), Texan, much like the Pres., perfect.

Appearance: Your typical American macro lager. Clear, light gold/yellow. Thin white head, disapeared in about a minute. Plenty of carbonation.

Smell: Little smell, hint of grain, sweet adjuncts (corn?).

Taste: I laste had this while in Ft. Worth last summer. I thought it was better. Slightly grainy, limited sweetness, not much else. My memory must be bad, cause this used to taste like Pabst.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, lively, yet watery.

Drinkability: Not quite what I remember, and at $6.99 a six-pack, definitely a rip off here. I thought this was a little better than this, but I could only stomach two, and half of a third is in front of me and I may just forget to finsh it. It may be that this is old. In Nebraska we have a pretty strong dislike for all things, Texan, and the three sixers that were on the shelf may be part of the original case the store got in stock.

2.8/5  rDev +12.4%

A typcial American lager. A smooth, light aroma of corn that is not unsimilar to Pabst, but a bit less overpowering. Pours out with medium light carbonation and a short lived head. Mildly rich golden colour. Refreshing flavor of a straight forward lager - a touch on the watery side, but none the less tolerable. This is supposed to be THE beer of Texas, and if that is so, I wouldn't mind living there all that much. Recommended for those who like macro-regional brews.

3.34/5  rDev +34.1%

Straw colored with a lumpy white head of tight bubbles. Aroma is corny, a little sweet. Mouthfeel is a bit watery, but bubbles tingle the tongue. Flavor is also corny, a little biscuity, but not so far as to say malty (probably because there is little or no malt). Difficult to tell if there is a fine hop presence, or if it's just the tingle of the carbonation. Finishes pretty clean. Not too complex, but not offensive.

3.55/5  rDev +42.6%

This beer was cheap! I like that when I buy some beer. It tasted alot like Budweiser. Cheap beer is usually terrible, but this wasn't that bad. I drank a 6pack tonight and I'm glad that I did. I found out my girlfriend was ex-girlfriend had been f---ing me over with some metal-head kid, and i was depressed. The Lone Star solved my problems at least for a short period of time. I will buy it again when I am depressed and feeling suicidal. Thank you Lone Star.

2.42/5  rDev -2.8%

Eye Candy: Clear light golden-yellow. Thin head upon pour that gave way to some thin lacing.

The Nose Knows: Slight sweetness there, but mostly adjunct corn and what I would describe as flour (wheat). Nothing offensive.

Tongueland: Crisp lager-like feel without the typical cheap ass brew taste. Slight corn, light malt, clean and crisp. No gagging aftertaste. Refreshing in the summer heat of El Paso.

Bender Factor: This was cheap as hell on post. I would try it agin, just for S and G.

2.85/5  rDev +14.5%

Bottle. The stuff on the side which says "Don’t Mess With Texas!" That’s so cool. The beer, unfortunately, is slightly unpleasant. Lots of stewed corn flavours. Yellowish appearance. Normal smell. A cheap lager. Fizz. Pasteurised. Mostly pointless.

1.75/5  rDev -29.7%

The label on Lone Star contains the following: 'Texas: Born and Brewed', 'don't mess with Texas', 'the National Beer of Texas', 'Pure Texas Beer', 'Pure Texan', 'serve Texas-cold', the star from the Texas state flag (two on the labels, one on the cap), two depictions of the state itself and a row of longhorn logos atop the main label. Excuse me while I check to see where it was brewed. Says right here 'Lone Star Brewing Co., Ft. Worth, Texas'. Why do they make it so hard to discern this beer's state of origin?

Transparent light gold with a moderate amount of big-bubbled carbonation. The head is dirty white, soft, and insubstantial. In other words, it looks cheap. To add insult to injury, it falls to a thin film in minutes and leaves almost no lace. The nose is of slightly sour grain, cooked veggies and a hint of (admittedly decent) lemon peel. Like attempting to smell good by dousing oneself in cologne rather than bathing?

Lone Star is yet another substandard adjunct lager. Or is that a redundancy? A serious shortage of malt leads to a thin, watery mouthfeel and a harsh, metallic flavor that's all kinds of unpleasant, but stops just short of spit-it-out bad. Like many macro lagers, there's a certain corny sweetness, and like a few others, there's a chemical flavor that is unlikely to impress anyone who knows what good beer tastes like. My drinkability rating assumes that it's consumed ice cold. Subtract 0.5 for every 5 degrees of warming.

Lone Star (where is it brewed again?) is lackluster at best. I would hope that its brewers would either go back to the drawing board and come back with some decent beer or make every attempt to hide its origins, not trumpet them from the highest mountaintop.

1.68/5  rDev -32.5%

I need to thank Hard Target for this one. He tried to give me a primer on many of the finely crafted Texas brews. Although this hails from Texas, I don't classify it in the same arena as the other quality brews that he sent me.

Appearance: Pours golden yellow with a clear white head.

Smell: None.

Taste: carbonated water. Almost like a perrier. A bitter aftertaste with acidic bite to it. Not much going on here.

Mouthfeel: thin and very watered down.

Drinkability: I'm sure it would quench your thirst on a hot Texas day.

I'm thankful for the Texas primer but seriously, "you shouldn't have".

Stick to the summary of the beer at the top of the page and "AVOID".

2.83/5  rDev +13.7%

Appearance - pours a decent light gold color, though void of any serious character. One finger of fizzy white head which disappears fairly quickly.

Aroma - grainy, plain, not much to write about.

Taste - very macro-like, slightly sweet, rather grainy. Nothing great, but decent, nothing wrong either. Spritzy, salty (soda water) finish.

Mouthfeel - thin, crisp, highly carbonated, clean.

Drinkability - a good thirst quencher that offers nothing outside of a plain, easy-drinking beer, which is sometimes just what ya' need.

2.7/5  rDev +8.4%

I certainly have to give Pabst credit for remaining totally invisible with regard to this beer. The label is a monument to hyperbole of Texas mystique (not that I don't think Texas is a fine state, but enough is enough). The only brewery identification is "Lone Star Brewing." The beer - well, it's your basic, old-style slightly grainy yellow lager. Solid body, workmanlike in a rough around the edges sort of way. An okay thirst quencher. I had this in the airport at Dallas (waiting for a connection, I did what I could to spend the time), perhaps if the setting had been a bit more pleasant, I would have appreciated the beer more.

1.71/5  rDev -31.3%

It pours a pale straw yellow with a quick, epemeral white head that leaves virtually no legacy of itself.

The aroma is dry, and more vegetal than malty. It comes off as flat, and has no hop character that I could note.

The flavor brings cooked corn to mind, with a fleeting sharp sweetness that promptly drops off and lets a shallow and featureless bitterness come through at the finish. There is virtually nothing here to recommend it.

It's light bodied, and just short of water. What does come across as notable is the dry bitter glow on the tongue.

My aunt sent me this from San Antonio. Had I known what I was facing, I'd have sent it right back. Thin, flat of flavor, and pretty much devoid of any real identity, the vegetal notes played too strong a role to allow the otherwise crisp emptiness to make this drinkable. It'd been in the back of the DBF for about a month, and I just kept putting off trying it. But she spent the shipping costs, so I was guilted into it. Silly me and my conscience.

Lone Star, much like it's Pabst stablemate Pearl, is no longer brewed in San Antonio at the old Pearl Brewery. It is now contract brewed in Dallas by Miller. So much like Pearl, we have a beer that was never great to begin with, but now it's lost whatever charm it might have possessed due to it's connection with a historical brewery. Maybe it's the change in water, maybe there are other factors, but Lone Star has become yet another faceless, remarkably tasteless, tourist-trap brew. Out-of-towners come to Texas, drink this, and believe that this is all that we have to offer. Sad, sad days.

The Dallas-brewed Lone Star pours like a sodapop, small head, fizzy yellow coloring. Smells corny and slightly off.

Tastes weak and sour. It's smooth, but that's from a lack of flavor and character. Much more malty than hoppy, it settles poorly on the tummy. Overcarbonated and bland, it never lets taste get in the way of the easy, uncomplicated drinkability. Lack of a distinctive finish and poor mouthfeel make this version of the Lone Star beer one to pass up.

This irritates me. Lone Star was drinkable back in the day. It wasn't the greatest beer ever by a long shot, but it carried the state's nickname with some semblance of pride. No longer. Tip to visitors: put the Lone Star down and try something else. The state of Texas has plenty of better beers to offer.

1.94/5  rDev -22.1%

Not really terrible, just the same standard megabrew. Corny taste, some malt, very little hops. Slightly more complex than, say, a Coors, but otherwise just another cheap beer. I started undoing the screw tops to drop in a dried chile to test my chile beer recipes.

2.05/5  rDev -17.7%

had one of these for the first time last night. I was seeing Captured! by Robots last night & thought I would give it a try. drank right out of the bottle in the bar, its wasn’t the ideal tasting saturation, but one I imagine the PBR people are fine with.

Ice cold, crisp fizzy malt sourness. ever so slight hop presence, just enough so you guess there might be some there. feels like flat stale club soda in your mouth, & what flavor there is gone almost immediately upon swallowing.

is inoffensive enough to be palpable. is bland enough to be forgotten.

would pair well with camels & NASCAR.

ave

3.35/5  rDev +34.5%

A crystal clear, straw gold body is capped by a frothy head of bright white foam that holds well and leaves some limited, but nice, lace. The aroma is welcoming with a sweet, grainy and lightly floral nose. The body is light-medium and it's quite crisp in the mouth. The flavor delivers a combination of sweet, semi-grainy malt and floral hops balanced by a low-key bitterness that's bolstered by it's crisp carbonation. Some sweet malt lingers in the aftertaste, but it's basically crisp and dry.

3.16/5  rDev +26.9%

I didn't have a bad experience with this brew, its just its like alot of others in the macro market. Brewed by the same folks that bring us pabst & stroh's, there isn't much more to expect. Its a straw colored lager that for me poured clear gold with a nice white head that laced all glass long. I thought the body was alittle fuller than the pabst. The aroma was grassy, the taste grainy and malt with very little hop to balance. It is drinkable because there isn't nothing big about this Texan. Picked it up vacation because it had that Texas only thing going for it.

2.1/5  rDev -15.7%

This beer pours an ultra-clear pale straw color with nearly no head to speak of. There is a massive amount of carb action racing to the top, but still no head. It has a sweet corn and a fresh-cut grass smell to it. The top of the taste is a carb bite that nearly burns like a Coke product and has a twangy lemon and earthy grain taste with hops nearly being uninvited to this ill-fated party. It is thin and watery and aside from that carb bite, it has no character. Could have been an easier drinking swill, but the bite burns so it takes away from the only thing this beer could have had going for it. I’m embarrassed that this is called what it is. Cheers anyways!

2.55/5  rDev +2.4%

Cheap beer meant to cool you down on a hot day. But, for it's price, I like it. In University, their was a roommate who watched ths weid show called Hot Springs Hotel. Mainly, Baywatch with nudity. Anyways, all the girls were drinking this. Funny how the mind works. I tasted this beer and thought of that stupid show. Now for the actual rating, instead of rambling. As a note, this is the Sleeman brew. Poured out a very faint, yellow colour. Kind of like sand. The head was about 1/2 and lasted, but was grey. A grey head is a turn off, especially considering I've never seen beer foam that shade of grey before. Light barley husk smell. That's it. Tasted a little sweet, malt and corn adjunct evident. But, it wasn't too artificial. Little mouthfeel and drinkable for what it is. Basically, swill. Tolerable swill, perhaps even good swill, but swill nonetheless. A lawnmower beer.

2.51/5  rDev +0.8%

The national beer of Texas as brewed under licence by Stroh Canada and purchased by Sleeman Breweries in '99 which marks their entry into the value priced category.
This may be an economically sound product but the brew itself is very weak.
Appearance is OK, medium golden hue, one finger head when poured disapating to a large island lace.
Nose is lightly of yeast.
Carbonation is full as is the body.
The taste is semi sweet but not lingering. Not overly impressive but worth the price the day before payday.
Nuff said...hohum

2.2/5  rDev -11.6%

Round up yer little doggies and bring 'em on over to the trough for some corn water. One of the great fizzy yellows so successful at the bank and not so successful in the tasting room, this is one of the pale yellow, white-headed beers that we admired in our youth. Typical macro lager with not much to offer but price and great advertising. Watch out for the corn silks!

1.63/5  rDev -34.5%

This is the Budweiser of Texas...in fact it was founded by Adolphus Busch in 1883. Light straw yellow and light flavorless body. The seltzery texture is hardly distinguishable from the hop taste. Am I tasting hops or seltzer? Weak, dry and stale tasting with an odd stale aroma. The head disappears as quickly as the flavor. I don't think the defenders of the Alamo would approve. Prime example of Cheap Beer!

3.15/5  rDev +26.5%

I like this stuff. Sure, it's not Olympia, but it's not bad. I thought I would try it, because I've had bros suggest it for a cheap thrill. Cheap? Kind of. $5 a sixer. It was the usual yellow color with a white head. The taste was very hoppy! No, not like a rabbit. Har har! The smell was hoppy too. Not much out of the ordinary for mouthfeel. I may come back to this rhinestone cowboy.

1.65/5  rDev -33.7%

I'm sure Texas has its strong points but beer sure doesn't seem to be one of them. On a recent visit to the northern suburbs of Houston I was forced to drink many a bad beer, this one included. The choices were the usual national macro swill and local macro swill. I went local but gained nothing for the experience. The same yellow fizzy crap that I associate with AB, Miller and Coors. Utterly lacking in taste and character. Texans apparently think of themselves as rugged individualists but their beer is wimpy.

Lone Star Beer from Pabst Brewing Company