Old Style

Gots
SCORE
Poor
Old StyleOld Style
Notes: Originally called Golden Leaf Lager in the 1890’s, Old Style first appeared in local stores in 1902 and quickly became one of the region’s most widely enjoyed beers. It’s heritage and popularity are proudly displayed throughout Wisconsin and Illinois — one can’t go far without seeing a historically protected Old Style sign hanging on the side of a barn or in a tavern window.

Old Style first crossed state lines into Illinois to capitalize nationwide bottlers strike and subsequent product rationing by the competition. It wasn’t long before Old Style became Chicago’s beer – served from the North Side to the South Side and everywhere in between. Being accepted as a true local, Old Style began sponsoring the Chicago Cubs in 1950. With Old Style still being served at Wrigley Field today, the partnership is one of longest standing in the country.

In 2009, Old Style revived the centuries-old German brewing tradition called “Kraeusening.” This double fermentation process increases carbonation and richness, ultimately leading to a better tasting beer that has since been won medals at the Great American Beer Festival and World Beer Cup.
View: Beers
Reviews: 235 | Ratings: 781 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by ChainGangGuy:
ChainGangGuy from Georgia

2.87/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

16 ounce can - Charlie's Beer & Wine in Marietta, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear, light yellow-hued body with a fizzy, white head that steadily recedes to near nil.

Smell: Lightly grainy cereal nose with some scattered corny hints. With some warmth, a faroff hint of loose change retrieved from a car cupholder.

Taste: A light lingering graininess throughout, it never gets particularly sweet, though there's a slight corny muskiness about it. Minute bitterness. As it warms, it picks up some metallic, industrial-type tastes, so don't fiddle around with drinking this thing, people - cold and fast - don't do what I did and lose focus, goofing around with Spotify, playing with (Ohio) the dog and scoping out online recipes to determine the viability of making your own pickles. Again, cold and fast! Thinning, watery finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Overall: All told, it's pretty bland (and once it warms, starts to become a bit bleagh), it does not beat my cheap-o beep-o option, Hamm's.

Jan 28, 2018
Bito24 from Pennsylvania

3.68/5  rDev +28.7%

I just retired and have been going back to my roots and trying beers from "back in the day". Pabst, Black Label, Genny Cream, Gansett etc. With all the new rages in brewing, lager get treated like poor second cousins to the IPA's, Micros and the like. Well ladies, a good lager can stand toe to toe with any other. And Old Style is near the top of the list. Nice fall feel, great taste and nice finish. So you wheat drinking snobs, take off you skirt, put your jeans on and reintroduce yourself to a real beer

Aug 04, 2016
Blahster from Illinois

Yep the best beer to me is Old Style beer. I keep it in the family, my grandfather on my moms side use to drink Old Style when I was growing up.My uncles to.Then as I got old enough to drink beer I've always new I would be drinking this great beer. It's funny when I started hanging out with new friends when I moved to my grandparents neighborhood, those friends were drinking Old Style to.Reach for The best beer old style beer, I was mainly brewed in La Cross, Wisconsin and then Semi loads to Chicago and the Suburbs outside Chicago. Old Style every where back then! And now I live in Southern Illinois right outside of St . Louis, Missouri and it's very hard to find it anywhere. And then when you do find it, your paying an arm an a leg,, crazyly high price! Is there any where in the St. Louis area I can by it cheapter then Dierbergs grocery store in Edwardsville, Illinois? So damn high there for a 12 pack of bottle's. They higherd the 12 pack price 3x this year??

Dec 02, 2013
Walter12590 from Illinois

3.06/5  rDev +7%

im a big fan of craft beers, wheat beers are my favorite and like to grab an IPA on occasion. when im on a tight budget i turn to old style or rolling rock, only macro beers i remotely respect. lot of my friends like coors lite bud lite busch lite, idk how they enjoy them. anyway old style is smooth crisp far from unpleasant and the only beer i can drink out a can, it smell and appearence are nothing special but it got a smooth mouthfeel n nice taste, ur ever low on finances check it out, not bad and it gives u your money's worth.

Nov 13, 2013
Jon_G from Illinois

3.93/5  rDev +37.4%

As Old Style recently switched back to their "Classic Can", I feel they've earned a review (as if it matters to them whether or not I review them).

I may be a little bit biased, as Old Style was always my grandpa's beer, and for a while my dad's. I always always a little bummed after they (hopefully it was a temporary thing) switched their can to the somewhat more "modern" look that Old Style was sporting for 7 or 8 years there, but it's back to the classic can which brings a touch of that nostalgia back -- but out of fairness, I'm trying to leave all bias at the door and review this beer for what it is -- an inexpensive macro beer.

A: 4.0/5 -- A pale to medium yellow beer. Healthy carbonation. Pearl white 1.5 finger foamy head that dissipates rather quickly. Very little lacing, what remains is soapy. Not a bad looking beer when comparing it to other beers of this variety.

S: 3.5/5 -- Sweet corn, maybe slightly roasted. Has a bit of rice to it. Actually does have some faint hop notes to it. This beer also does have a couple tinges of your standard adjunct scents -- a little tinny, a sweetness that's hard to pinpoint. Overall, fairly pleasant.

T: 4.0/5 -- Comparatively speaking, the taste really quite nice. Very bright initial flavor, strong rice punch that quickly fades into a small hop snappiness and finishes with a buttered corn taste. Very mellow lingering aftertaste, just a corn/rice/sweetness.

M: 4.5/5 -- This is what truly sets the beer apart, in my opinion. It's crazy refreshing. They actually found something of a yin-yang in this beer -- it has almost a watery like quenching feel to it lead by very subtle/light carbonation, but fades into a moderate dryness that makes you want another sip... like right now. It's super drinkable.

O: 4.0/5 -- This is the ultimate "working" beer. I almost can't imagine working on the car, mowing the lawn, working around the house without a few Old Styles. This beer probably is earning higher points than it may deserve, because I'm reviewing it compared to it's direct competition, the budget beer. I don't know if it's because I'm a Chicago native, or because it's something my pops and grandpa drank as I grew up, but for what this beer is, it's a front runner for me. If I had to choose between Old Style, High Life, Bud, Busch, and PBR -- the choice is extremely easy, and I don't think nostalgia has brainwashed me into making the easy choice.

Dec 27, 2016
Stonebreaker from Illinois

3.6/5  rDev +25.9%

I'm trying to review this beer for what it is, American fizzy yellow piss. That said for the uniniated(into the world of good beer) it is still held in contempt by some , I was out drinking with some buddies and I was flabbergasted how these MGD drinkers were shitting on this beer, I have a sentimental soft spot for this beer as it was and still is in spirit, a chicago beer. I was raised on this stuff and I can remember many a day when I came home from a hard day at work, thirsty and it did the job. I came to the bar with a nasty case of cotton mouth and the beer was like water to a man coming out of the desert. It reminded me of being at the ballpark, and I dipped my nose in that foamy head, fizzy yellow piss yes... but good for what it is.

Jul 13, 2008
cardfan212 from Minnesota

4.28/5  rDev +49.7%

Drank from a 12 ounce can. Scores based on the style.

Look - I love the Old Style crest, it just looks great. Also, unlike other AALs, the can isn't cluttered with a bunch of words. Instead, some nice etching drawing things are spread across the can and look really nice. I love this can.

Smell - A strong malt sweetness with some resiny hops hidden in there. For once, an AAL doesn't just smell like the adjuncts.

Taste - Sweet malts with a bit of corn bolstering in the beginning, a nicely bitter finish. Doesn't stick around too long, it's a quick taste. Rather balanced and enjoyable.

Feel - The usual thin body with an appropriately moderate carbonation. Drinks nice and easily.

Overall - My personal favorite macro lager. It's just a well-rounded beer that really has no bad aspects. Can sometimes be tough to find, but when you do find it, it is usually pretty cheap.

May 20, 2018
bbluemzbeer from California

Old style beer is a Chicago staple and basic lager. The price for 6 pack of pounders is 4.50. For inexpensive lager a 5 !

Appearance: light yellow with small carbonation.

Smell : like a American style like corn and grains.

Taste: old style has a taste of light grains with some small malt to it.The end of the taste you get a small bit at the end. Nice crisp dry finish makes you want to drank more . For the price is a great beer !

Mouthfeel: light to medium mouthfeel

Overall : Old style is good lager with more taste then 85 percent of lagers on market. Old style beats out High life, modello , Bud ice, Busch , Natural Ice and all of light beers on the market.

Aug 02, 2014
BeerAdvocate from Massachusetts

3.65/5  rDev +27.6%

From BeerAdvocate Magazine Volume III, Issue II:

Retooled, reinvented, resurrected. Call it what you want, but this Retro Lager has been revived.

Fluffy two fingers of head stands hard for a while; filtered, pale golden-yellow color. A duo of DMS (cooked corn) and cereal graininess in the aroma--to be more specific, creamed corn. Big smoothness with a quick bite from the hop bitterness. Light bodied. Cooked corn on the palate with a clean graininess throughout. Thin but pleasant layer of dry maltiness from middle to end. Finishes dry with some residual cereal graininess.

Tasty and clean for a Retro Lager. Great for when you are not looking for something exotic or extreme and just want a plain beer. A perfect beer for that greasy slice of pepperoni pizza or that ballpark dog slathered with chili.

Sep 10, 2010
SteveJeremy from Connecticut

3.75/5  rDev +31.1%

With my father condemning Old Style as "the worst beer ever made" and referring to it as "Dog Style" since I was a kid, I was skeptical about the quality of the beer. However, my father - who holds Miller Lite and Coors Light as his go-to brews - and I drastically differ with our beer tastes, so I was considering that as I popped the tab on the can of Old Style.

Given the price and the ubiquity of this brand, you can't expect the style and complexity of craft beers. Yet Old Style is a healthier, heavier-body brew, not too watery, not too grainy, and not too reliant on one particular bitter or unappetizing flavor. It has a light drinkability to it and favorable qualities that make it a solid beer all around.

Aug 26, 2014
98green from Michigan

It's Old Style. When you are in Chicago and you want the local version of Bud, they got you covered.

It is no better or worse than you will expect.

Jan 11, 2015
gatornation from Minnesota

3.55/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Had a pour of this today at soon to be closed Vadnais Inn, pours are only $1 here Typical AAL clear yellow color with corn and barley. mouth fell had slight crispness . For the style it good its an AAL would have again for sure.

Jun 03, 2018
GoBearsWalter34 from Illinois

3.53/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A classic that is a throwback favorite of mine. Its tough to beat this served on a hot day at Wrigley Field. Actually, one of the best macros up there with PBR and Moosehead for me.

Feb 02, 2017
PhilHeinricke from Virginia

3.66/5  rDev +28%

Surprisingly Good

This is being marketed as Chicago's Beer since 1902. After a long day of crunching numbers and reviewing financial reports, I knew I needed something to take the edge off. On the way back to the hotel I slipped into a 7-11. They had the standard Bud, Miller, Corona and a couple of IPAs which I love, but I saw this. I figured when in Chicago, drink as Chicagoans drink. Plus it's pretty cheap.

I didn't expect much. I thought it might taste like tin. It's cheap. It's made by Pabst. I mean, come on. But it's great. I'm drinking the second can right now. It's has that beautiful uriny color. The smell is not too fabulous. But it has a great lager taste not too strong. So I'm going to cut this review short and relax, watch the daily news and drink this surprisingly tasty beer.

Cheers.

Jul 22, 2015
mlockman from Indiana

3.46/5  rDev +21%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Infinitely better than the alternative macro beers on draft; light enough to be refreshing but much more flavorful than Bud Light and preferable in flavor to even 312 wheat in my opinion. Then again, I might be slightly biased by the fact that the first time I had this beer was at Wrigley Field.

Apr 17, 2016
losthusker from Nebraska

3.43/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sick of the Bud miller coors bs, but not in the craft mood either? This stuff right here is the antidote. Smells and tastes like the end of a long day, and a dimly lit neighborhood dive bar. Thankfully, this does not have the sickly sweet taste of PBR (which is kind of a concern because they do brew this) but rather leans toward bitter which is sort of how beer should be in my world anyway. Oh and it's savor-able cold, and poundable before it gets to warm. The quintessential working mans libation. Cheers!

Mar 03, 2018
tucson_brewson from Arizona

3.46/5  rDev +21%

12-pack for $8.99, decided to try something other than PBR and Rolling Rock.

L - Pours a clear-as-day yellow with about an inch of head that remains. Very typical lager appearance.

S - Corn, wet grains, light malt, fresh cut grass, a little metallic, skunky sulfur, and slightly hoppy at the end.

T - Much like the smell, this has a classic bready malt flavor with a nice bitter bite of hops at the end. For what it's worth, it's actually a great-tasting beer, comparable or better than Miller Lite and PBR. Out of the can, you get more of the skunky hop flavor with a metallic tinge.

F - Light, crisp, high carbonation partially in thanks to their so-called "krausening" process, which adds more carbonation by adding beer to beer (huh?). I guess the beer that's added to the finished batch is fermented beer and then CO2 is captured into the liquid producing more bubbles. In other words, very drinkable, expect the beer belches. There's something to that special process that hits the spot.

O - Very impressed by this cheap lager. Best drank ice cold during a game. I like that they label it "Union made" and actually produce a halfway decent AAL. Good for you, Wisconsin/midwest.

Nov 13, 2016
robert812

3.84/5  rDev +34.3%

How can you beat anything Chicago! Can drink a lot.

Jun 09, 2015
NorthernMichiganLogan from Michigan

3.43/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got a canned 12 pack of this at my local grocery store in my quest to try all the "old school" beer brands that Pabst now owns. I'm a big fan of lagers, so I figured this was going to be at least drinkable. Poured into a pint style beer mug. Pours with a big thick soppy looking head. The beer itself is a dark yellow color. Maybe a little bit darker than most other lagers but still very typical. Left a little bit of lacing in the glass. The beer smells very very sweet. I can smell sweet fruit, corn, sugar, light hops, and mash. It's a very pleasant smell overall. The taste of the beer is nothing special. It's very typical of other lagers. Lots of corn, malt, bitterness with a light touch of hops. The first one I drank I thought the ending was a bit like a corn whisky taste. As I drank the second beer that feeling went away. I realized that the beer had a very sweet and smooth finish. Overall, this is an easy drinking beer that goes down very smooth. Very typical of these style of lagers. Nothing special, but very poundable on a hot summer day, and thats what it's all about.

Nov 28, 2017
ValpoExpo from Ohio

3.73/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A very solid "cheap" beer from Pabst. I live in Ohio and Old Style is not regularly distributed here, so whenever I can get my hands on an Old Style I am more than pumped. Great flavor, awesome can and reasonable price. $6.99 for sixer of pint cans

Apr 22, 2015
garymuchow from Minnesota

3.64/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Tastes like 1979. Grainy aroma and taste with a sharp carbonic bite. Fully cabonated with a very white cap and clear gold hay color. Light feel except for all the damn carbonation. Head settled down rather quickly.
Tastes very close to a Grain Belt Big Friendly (as this sample was also a 16oz can), but less sweet, which is a good thing overall. Hints of hops with a slightly green/grassy aroma and taste, but well into the background. Corn is rather subdued.
This is actually a pretty damn drinkable Am. lager.

Feb 18, 2017
kmpitz2 from Tennessee

3.5/5  rDev +22.4%

I know this is sort of agaist the grain, but I have been saving this beer for a review for a little while, and tonight is the night I chose to go ahead with it. The beer pours a very light straw color. Not far from what I expect for an American pilsner. The head is about a finger high, but falls quickly. The nose is sweet and rich in corn. Definately better than others I've had. This is an above average beer for the style. It is sweet and definately not offensive as other macros have been in my opinion. The beer is thin in my mouth, as it would be expected. There is a very good drinkability on this brew. I could sit down to a 6-er of this one almost any summer night. The only better Old Style I ever had was out of a waxed paper cup at Wrigley Field. Nothing can beat your first Old Style at a Cubs game.

Aug 10, 2004
dugly2ugly from Maryland

2.75/5  rDev -3.8%

Jul 07, 2013
Booner818 from California

Nov 17, 2013
thydarkprevails from Illinois

1.78/5  rDev -37.8%

one of my favorite local brews, old style is most easily compared to pabst, old milwaukee, and maybe lacrosse. this is my number one beer if i need something on a very hot summer day, with time to kill, and a burger on the grill. the big appeal, besides it's new found yuppie following, it cost. like said beers above, it is easy to obtain a 30 pack for 10-11 dollers, or if you budget, you can get a 15 pack for 6-7 dollers, now that's savings...overall, this is one of chicago's, "old man beers", yet one of the better ones out here.

Jun 18, 2004