Old Style | Pabst Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Old StyleOld Style

Pabst Brewing Company
pabstbrewingco.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Originally called Golden Leaf Lager in the 1890’s, Old Style first appeared in local stores in 1902 and quickly became one of the region’s most widely enjoyed beers. It’s heritage and popularity are proudly displayed throughout Wisconsin and Illinois — one can’t go far without seeing a historically protected Old Style sign hanging on the side of a barn or in a tavern window.

Old Style first crossed state lines into Illinois to capitalize nationwide bottlers strike and subsequent product rationing by the competition. It wasn’t long before Old Style became Chicago’s beer – served from the North Side to the South Side and everywhere in between. Being accepted as a true local, Old Style began sponsoring the Chicago Cubs in 1950. With Old Style still being served at Wrigley Field today, the partnership is one of longest standing in the country.

In 2009, Old Style revived the centuries-old German brewing tradition called “Kraeusening.” This double fermentation process increases carbonation and richness, ultimately leading to a better tasting beer that has since been won medals at the Great American Beer Festival and World Beer Cup.

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 09-11-2001

Reviews: 203 | Ratings: 682
3.63/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Very light straw appearance. Crystal clear. Thin, white head. Shows very good carbonation. Bready aroma with some grassy hops. Mild taste with a little bitterness from the hops. Watery mouthfeel. Semi-dry finish. Smooth. Refreshing. Overall, a decent beer. Nothing special about it, but at the same time there is nothing off-putting about it either. Enjoyable. Good one for hot weather.

12 oz can
Best by: May 11 15
Served in a Pilsner glass

2.29/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I was raised on the Southside of Chicago. In high school, in the 80s, this was THE brew. I didn't know any better and I loved it. Nothing tastier on a hot summer day than one of those ice cold little round bottles. Dare to dream. Now I'm old and can afford better beer and I buy better beer. Every now and then I have an Old Style and I'm young and stupid again.

3.41/5  rDev +14%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The look of the beer is pretty good for the style(no pun intended). The main reason I enjoy this beer is the location and circumstance under which I am drinking it. It is almost always in Chicago at Wrigley Field. How could you not enjoy almost any beer on a nice day at Wrigley? So, yeah, the beer isn't that great, but the beer and the experience together take it up a couple notches!

3.87/5  rDev +29.4%

I remember being introduced to this beer at a friend's house. Said friend said, "this beer is the beer I keep telling my friends to try, but they just won't. And the ones that do, they're converts." Well, so was I. So I finally found it again in my area and here we are.

Just so we're clear - this beer is a fantastic brew, but it feels weird reviewing it. One should honestly just drink it without thought...but I digress.

Serving style : 12 oz bottle poured into glass

Appearance (3) : A pale blonde color with a fluffy one finger head, receding quickly to a ring. Bubbles line the surface of the glass.

Smell (4) : A hint of maple syrup, some sweet roasted corn, some oats, fresh grass, and a little orange. I'm serious, this is a pretty knock-out-of-the-park smell for this type of beer.

Taste (4.25) : Carbonation hits first with a smooth oat lager taste. Within the body are soft corn notes, some wheat, dried and toasted grain, and an orange sweetness. A damp, soft blanket of smooth and fruity grain lies underneath. The finish is simply sweet and refreshing. A top notch taste in an American adjunct lager.

Mouthfeel (3.5) : Heavily carbonated, which is normal for the style. Finishes almost perfectly semi-dry.

Overall : I didn't think pouring this one would help much, but it actually did. I can't speak for others but Old Style is one of my top favorite lagers bar none. It's miles above PBR, and rivals my current favorite Hauenstein. These beers are both cheap (Hauenstein and Old Style), and I can't imagine finding a better lager for the price. Do yourself a favor and try this beer - if you can find it.

3.75/5  rDev +25.4%

With my father condemning Old Style as "the worst beer ever made" and referring to it as "Dog Style" since I was a kid, I was skeptical about the quality of the beer. However, my father - who holds Miller Lite and Coors Light as his go-to brews - and I drastically differ with our beer tastes, so I was considering that as I popped the tab on the can of Old Style.

Given the price and the ubiquity of this brand, you can't expect the style and complexity of craft beers. Yet Old Style is a healthier, heavier-body brew, not too watery, not too grainy, and not too reliant on one particular bitter or unappetizing flavor. It has a light drinkability to it and favorable qualities that make it a solid beer all around.

3.25/5  rDev +8.7%

Serving: 24oz can into pint
Served: 19 August 2014

Appearance: 3.25/5. Pours a crystal clear light yellow color with massive carbonation streaming up from the bottom constantly. Head kind of looks like dish soap, and dies pretty quickly. No lacing.

Smell: 3.25/5. Sweet and grainy, with no off flavors or notable notes to speak of. Smells like 'beer'.

Taste: 3.25/5. Again, very standard American beer flavor- lots of sweet grains, no bitterness to speak of, no hop or assertive malt notes.

Mouthfeel: 3.75/5. Lively, high carbonation makes this one extremely quaffable, as you would desire for this style.

Overall: 3/5. I tried this because it was one of my grandpa's favorites and I grew up new Chicago so I figured I had to by mere association. Glad I tried it, but I probably won't feel the need to ever have one again.

Old style beer is a Chicago staple and basic lager. The price for 6 pack of pounders is 4.50. For inexpensive lager a 5 !

Appearance: light yellow with small carbonation.

Smell : like a American style like corn and grains.

Taste: old style has a taste of light grains with some small malt to it.The end of the taste you get a small bit at the end. Nice crisp dry finish makes you want to drank more . For the price is a great beer !

Mouthfeel: light to medium mouthfeel

Overall : Old style is good lager with more taste then 85 percent of lagers on market. Old style beats out High life, modello , Bud ice, Busch , Natural Ice and all of light beers on the market.

Pours a light golden color with white head. Cereal grains on the nose; follows onto the palate. Light bodied. Finishes with more cereal grains. One dimensional.

2.99/5  rDev 0%

Old Style derives its named from the original brewing process of this classic beer. Heileman's, the creator of Old Style, took an "old style" manufacturing approach to their beer, a process that took 30 days and used natural "krausening." Under Stroh's (and later Pabst), Heileman's pulled out of Eau Claire, Wisconsin and Old Style became a contracted beer. Krausening and much of the "old style" process was tossed aside in the interest of cost-cutting.

To add insult to injury, the current owners of Pabst, taunted Old Style drinkers by announcing that they were going to return Old Style to a more flavorful brew in line with the earlier recipe utilized by Heileman's, and in the process move the brand more up market. They kept good on the promise of moving the brand up market (only in terms of pricing!), but there was no change to the product other than some revised, moderately retro packaging.

Today Old Style is not krausened and has an oddly stale, faintly chemical taste to the brew. It's aroma and overall taste, however, still conjure up images of classic brews and times gone by. It's a trip down memory lane and for Chicago Cubs fans, it will always be a staple!

The good news is that Pabst has been recently floated on the market (March 2014) and it is hoped that a new buyer will bring better stewardship to Old Style and the dozens of other brands that fall under the Pabst banner.

3.48/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I have had this one several times. The first time was majestic due to the milieu in which I found myself in. It was hot and music was playing in myriad directions of all genres. This beer fit the surroundings perfectly. It has been nearly a decade since that first discovery of this Chicago staple and that memory has never left. I tried it again a few years later but it wasn't the same experience. I tell you today that this experience has had somewhat of a renaissance, when should I find in a local store a 12 pack of this tasty stuff. It is nothing spectacular but the memories that come with it were, so I give it points just for that. However, it is tasty and very enjoyable for what it is. I am a bit disappointed in that the store may have kept this stuff a bit too long. I think it may have an expiration date rather than a born on date and if that is the case this one went in the waning days of summer 2013. Nevertheless, it still tasted pretty damn good. This is a perfect beer for outside on warm days and I hope this place gets a refreshed batch soon, so that I can compare. But for what it is its a great beer. Better than many of the "legacy" brews I have tried and I wish it was more readily available in my area.

The color was the standard pale straw, the smell was pretty standard as well, it didn't smell bad, it just smelled like your granddad's beer he kept out in the garage. Grainy, malty, ah, brings me back on so many levels. The taste was great, I like this style of beer and I wish that other companies could get this down. It tastes like a beer should taste like. This is beer, not an ale. I know we can discuss semantics all you want, but this is what reminds me of what I was introduced to as "beer".

3.42/5  rDev +14.4%

Can into pint glass.

Very clear and golden.

Clean and grassy.

Good flavor. Light malts and cereal flavor. Not sweet and syrupy.

Exceptionally crisp. Refreshing finish that doesn't coat.

This is a good beer. Much better than Highlife and beers like that. For the price tho would rather drink Yuengling.

Yep the best beer to me is Old Style beer. I keep it in the family, my grandfather on my moms side use to drink Old Style when I was growing up.My uncles to.Then as I got old enough to drink beer I've always new I would be drinking this great beer. It's funny when I started hanging out with new friends when I moved to my grandparents neighborhood, those friends were drinking Old Style to.Reach for The best beer old style beer, I was mainly brewed in La Cross, Wisconsin and then Semi loads to Chicago and the Suburbs outside Chicago. Old Style every where back then! And now I live in Southern Illinois right outside of St . Louis, Missouri and it's very hard to find it anywhere. And then when you do find it, your paying an arm an a leg,, crazyly high price! Is there any where in the St. Louis area I can by it cheapter then Dierbergs grocery store in Edwardsville, Illinois? So damn high there for a 12 pack of bottle's. They higherd the 12 pack price 3x this year??

3.06/5  rDev +2.3%

im a big fan of craft beers, wheat beers are my favorite and like to grab an IPA on occasion. when im on a tight budget i turn to old style or rolling rock, only macro beers i remotely respect. lot of my friends like coors lite bud lite busch lite, idk how they enjoy them. anyway old style is smooth crisp far from unpleasant and the only beer i can drink out a can, it smell and appearence are nothing special but it got a smooth mouthfeel n nice taste, ur ever low on finances check it out, not bad and it gives u your money's worth.

2.61/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bottle at ORD Terminal C, Chicago, IL

A: The beer is clear yellow in color and has no visible carbonation. It poured with a short bright white head that died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles on the surface.
S: Light to moderate aromas of adjunct malts are present in the nose—corn seems to stand out in particular.
T: The taste mostly follows the smell and has flavors of corn adjuncts but there is no associated sweetness.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer goes down easily and seems to be a slight cut above the common adjunct lagers.

3.2/5  rDev +7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a pilsner glass

A - This beer is straw colored and crystal clear. It is topped with an inch of white head.

S - I get malt aroma. It's kind of like milled grain.

T - The taste has a boiled corn flavor.

M - Thin

O - The one good thing about the rust belt breweries is that they actually have a little flavor. This one didn't taste as good as the last one, but my last one was at Wrigley watching the Reds shutout the Cubs. That one tasted sweet!

2.79/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Well, hell. Raulsky was up at Wrigley and he just had to have an Old Style (or 3). And that is not because he liked them, it was just to make the Cubs watchable.

It was bad, but it wasn't "that" bad. Kind of like this floozy Raul once dated; the first two times were nice, but after the third go around, Raul knew that he should stop before all hell would break loose.

And Old Style is just that: one or two is ok, but beware of three and beyond.

2.98/5  rDev -0.3%

At a Cubs game, there was a certain obligation to try this beer.

Appearance: AAL all the way. Yellow. Pretty large head. Surprisingly nice lacing, though. Actually, this looks a bit better than some AALs.

Smell: Vanilla and corn. How does that work? Traces of grain in there as well, but sweet/buttered/corn with vanilla are the main notes.

Taste: Like the smell. Truthfully, this tastes like a super sweetened Budweiser. Massive corn, and then vanilla. Sort of like a Gennessee Cream Ale might taste when blended with a Bud.

This actually doesn't suck. The problem I have with this is that it may be *too* sweet for my tastes... I could see me not wanting much more after a few of these.

2.46/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours to a thin white head that lasts and straw yellow color. Aroma is stale popcorn. Flavor is pale malt, corn, muddy water and a touch of grassy hops. Mouthfeel light, salty and fizzy. Overall, it is easy to quaff but not too special. Give me me a 312.

2.38/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. bottle, with a best by date of May 27, 2013. "New and improved" or the "original recipe" I don't know and I guess I don't really care. Shameful that I wasn't around to try this beer when it was first released, when it was probably brewed with some heart, soul, and better quality ingredients. Either way, I needed to break a ten dollar bill, so I was united with a $5.39 six pack of Pabst Old Style. The biggest revelation to me was probably that Old Style is actually a Pabst product, which I didn't know until last night. Without further ado...

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a half finger of quickly dissipating white fizz. Clear, pale, golden lager color. Pretty typical of the style. No lacing, but tons of thin streams of bubbles rushing to the top.

S - Smell is grainy. Corn. Wheat. Straw. Yeast. Some alcohol astringency.

T - Corn. Cereal grains. Kind of a corn syrupy sweetness, I guess it would be. Very crisp, clean, and light bodied. Light carbonation.

M - Feel is light, crisp, and clean. Slight sweetness lingering, but it doesn't taste offensive or harsh in any way.

Overall, a cheap, light bodied, easy sipping beer with a low 4.72% abv. Nothing remarkable, but nowhere near as offensive as some lesser examples of this style like Bud Light and Miller Lite. Haven't drank a Pabst Blue Ribbon in a while (waiting until I can buy it in bottles to review it) so I can't say how it compares, but I imagine they are around the same, Pabst Old Style being less hipster and less likely to be chosen as the alcohol delivery vehicle. Probably one of the more inoffensive of the cheap American adjunct lagers.

Pabst Old Style ---2.5/5

3.28/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a clean, golden-yellow. Filtered. Not a whole lot of head. What little bit there is sticks around for just about 15-30 secs before dissipating. Great lacing

S- not a lot going on here. Typical of an AAL. Grainy aroma comes through. Some corn possibly. Some light malt.

T- Grain comes through much better on the taste than the smell. A medium amount of bitterness that doesn't last too long. A slightly dry, but smooth finish. No harsh tones like you normally have with adjunct lagers. Crisp and flavorful.

M- Very drinkable and refreshing. Light bodied.

O- One of the best macro brews on the market. Another good one by Pabst. There is a reason this is a classic "ballpark" beer. I guess they recently implemented a krausening process the last few years that helps the flavor. I can't speak for that since i did not try this beer prior to that process, but others seem to think it has made a big difference. Very enjoyable beer on a warm day. If you like adjunct american lagers (not my style but they serve their purpose), don't waste your time with bud, miller, or coors. Go with this bad boy.

4.62/5  rDev +54.5%

This was my grandpa's favorite beer and now it's my favorite beer.

Poured into a mug, it has a pale, yellow, straw color. Light carbonation, mostly natural carbonation. A short head, that appears for about 15 seconds.

Not a lot of smell, but has a grainy smell and a little bit metallic. The alcohol kind of burns your nose, which I love.

You can taste grains, hops and some malt. A nice bitterness at the end.

Light Carbonation, one of the heavier American Adjunct Lagers in my opinion.

Very drinkable and it's my favorite. Tastes great and there's a lot of history behind this beer. I am definately bias when it comes to where the beer is made, because all the best beer is made in Wisconsin. "Think local. Drink local."

4.05/5  rDev +35.5%

This was "dad's Beer" when I was growing up. I tried it in 08 I think, and Preferred Blatz it was crap. I recently started watching the show "Shameless" on Showtime where the family Drinks Old Style and researched it. Apparently Pabst is now "Krausening" the beer so I wanted to try it again.

I picked up a 6 pack of 12 oz. cans for $3.59 the first drink I knew this was something different. I am a Budweiser drinker and this instantly reminded me of Bud. it has great mouthfeel and no nasty aftertaste like the old cheap beer did. the cost has increased (18 pack was $7.99 in 08 and now it's $10) but still a good price for a good beer!

2.62/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Serving type: 12-ounce can. Freshness date printed on the bottom is “SEPT 1712.”

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass. The color is light straw. Two fingers of fluffy, buttery, white head, dissipated quickly to leave a thin skim and ring around the edge.

Smell: Sake-like rice and maybe a little corn. There is light grassiness, husky funk, and some lemon zest. It is an adjunct — no doubt about that.

Taste: Not as sweet as I was expecting. It also lacks a lot of bite. (I should probably be drinking it out of the can, actually. I bet that would help a lot.) Frankly, it is very watered down and tastes a lot like a light adjunct. Rice, a little grass, and a tiny bit of lemon. As it warms it starts to pucker the cheeks with a little sweetness.

Drinkability: Instead of being cursed by a goat, I think the Cubs are cursed by Old Style. I am pretty disappointed. It does the job, but it lacks a lot of the bite and flavor I associate with classic beers like this.

2.74/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured into a Pint Glass. Seeing as how this beer is found on every corner in Chicago, I took it upon myself to try it.

Appearance - Clear pale gold with surprisingly little carbonation. Pours a 2 finger head that quickly fizzes away.

Smell - Barley, Slight Hops, Cereal Grains, Malts, and a faint Veggie scent. For this style of lager, it's not half bad.

Taste - Grains, Over-Cooked Veggies, Yeasts, Malts with a bitter hoppy finish

Mouthfeel - Light Bodied with a strong carbonated feel to it. The best thing I can say about it is that it feels very crisp.

Overall - About what I was expecting for the $1.70 I got for this, and it's fairly non-offensive for this style of beer.

3.46/5  rDev +15.7%

There's a lot of malty sweetness on this one. And even though it reminds me of Harar (from Ethiopia), I still feel like it's a bit too much when it comes down to it, but it's a just barely kinda thing. But still it's smooth, overall. Very little grain tones hit you, and when they do, it's much later on. For an adjunct, this isn't all that bad really. I mean, I doubt I'm going to run out and make it my standard, but for the experience and price, it's not too shabby.

Old Style from Pabst Brewing Company