Old Style | Pabst Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Old StyleOld Style

Pabst Brewing Company
pabstbrewingco.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Originally called Golden Leaf Lager in the 1890’s, Old Style first appeared in local stores in 1902 and quickly became one of the region’s most widely enjoyed beers. It’s heritage and popularity are proudly displayed throughout Wisconsin and Illinois — one can’t go far without seeing a historically protected Old Style sign hanging on the side of a barn or in a tavern window.

Old Style first crossed state lines into Illinois to capitalize nationwide bottlers strike and subsequent product rationing by the competition. It wasn’t long before Old Style became Chicago’s beer – served from the North Side to the South Side and everywhere in between. Being accepted as a true local, Old Style began sponsoring the Chicago Cubs in 1950. With Old Style still being served at Wrigley Field today, the partnership is one of longest standing in the country.

In 2009, Old Style revived the centuries-old German brewing tradition called “Kraeusening.” This double fermentation process increases carbonation and richness, ultimately leading to a better tasting beer that has since been won medals at the Great American Beer Festival and World Beer Cup.

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 09-11-2001

1.75/5  rDev -41.5%

4.5/5  rDev +50.5%

2.75/5  rDev -8%

3.48/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I have had this one several times. The first time was majestic due to the milieu in which I found myself in. It was hot and music was playing in myriad directions of all genres. This beer fit the surroundings perfectly. It has been nearly a decade since that first discovery of this Chicago staple and that memory has never left. I tried it again a few years later but it wasn't the same experience. I tell you today that this experience has had somewhat of a renaissance, when should I find in a local store a 12 pack of this tasty stuff. It is nothing spectacular but the memories that come with it were, so I give it points just for that. However, it is tasty and very enjoyable for what it is. I am a bit disappointed in that the store may have kept this stuff a bit too long. I think it may have an expiration date rather than a born on date and if that is the case this one went in the waning days of summer 2013. Nevertheless, it still tasted pretty damn good. This is a perfect beer for outside on warm days and I hope this place gets a refreshed batch soon, so that I can compare. But for what it is its a great beer. Better than many of the "legacy" brews I have tried and I wish it was more readily available in my area.

The color was the standard pale straw, the smell was pretty standard as well, it didn't smell bad, it just smelled like your granddad's beer he kept out in the garage. Grainy, malty, ah, brings me back on so many levels. The taste was great, I like this style of beer and I wish that other companies could get this down. It tastes like a beer should taste like. This is beer, not an ale. I know we can discuss semantics all you want, but this is what reminds me of what I was introduced to as "beer".

3.5/5  rDev +17.1%

1.5/5  rDev -49.8%

3.25/5  rDev +8.7%

3.42/5  rDev +14.4%

Can into pint glass.

Very clear and golden.

Clean and grassy.

Good flavor. Light malts and cereal flavor. Not sweet and syrupy.

Exceptionally crisp. Refreshing finish that doesn't coat.

This is a good beer. Much better than Highlife and beers like that. For the price tho would rather drink Yuengling.

3.5/5  rDev +17.1%