Pabst Blue Ribbon Light | Pabst Brewing Company

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-29-2001

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 50 | Ratings: 123

This is ridicuolous, I hope the russians can sleep well knowing they took over and ruined the last good thing we had. I have one, and have not drank it out of principle.

I am ashamed I drank this. No beer should be $10 for a thirty rack. I knew this when I bought it but was a poor college student so I held my breath and did it anyways.

I am not severely opposed to the occasional light tasteless beer such as PBR but this beer was literally painful to drink. My thirty rack quickly became a doorstop and I was begging people to take it out of my sight.

Sorry but my only constructive criticism is pour it down the drain.

1.36/5  rDev -48.1%

Very light malt aroma. Very light to pale gold color. Medium head, with average retention. Light on taste, no dryness, no crispness, really not much to it. Heavily carbonated, yet very thin mouthfeel. Beer flavored water is probably most apt.

1.7/5  rDev -35.1%

This is a really cheap light beer that compares to most others in the category. Usual light yellow color has a fizzy white head. The nose and taste are quite hard to decipher. If anything, some rice/corn water. Light body leads to below average drinkablility.

1.8/5  rDev -31.3%

Throw back brews, trendy hipster canned PBR does well. But why do they have to make every varietal of the same beer? Fizzy yellow beer, pale pissy golden or apple juice if you wanna be PG about it. Minimal specks of lacing left after the bright egg shell white head fades, oh so quickly. Aroma has cooked veggies and cereal notes going down efficiently enough to be classified as an industrial lager. No reason to go for this brew but for 5.99 a 12 pack of cans I had to grab it. Now I have something in my fridge to offer the folks who couldn't give a shit about my beloved micros. Don't get me wrong I still try to convert but this is a better alternative then them clearing out my DBF. Flavor is pretty much a watered down slightly metallic cooked veggies in this case corn and rice show up hard core. No real hop flow but I wasn't expecting one, I still can enjoy a PBR with the best of 'em but this one leaves much to be desired. Mouthfeel is carbonated water, carbonation levels a bit much will bring the Barney belches in no time. Drinkability overall could be pretty wreckless, but I'm not in the mood for a White Trash Wednesday party like I would have been back in college.

1.88/5  rDev -28.2%

This beer sucks in every facet of sucking.

Looks like dishwater.

Smells like nothing

At least it is 10$ for 30 cans.

Everything else about is not worth reviewing.

On par with Natty light but cheaper.

Tastes like beer was mixed water, soaked up by a rag, and then wrung into a glass.

Easy to drink because it is so light and thin.

1.95/5  rDev -25.6%

1000th review.
~18 year old can stored in warnerry's grandparent's refrigerator. Thanks to warnerry for sharing!

Appearance- Pours a slightly hazy yellow with tons of tiny floaters. The thin white head settles to a ring and is kept alive by a few streams of carbonation rising from the middle of the glass(?).

Smell- Surprisingly fruity with notes of apples and pears. There is something a little astringent in here as well. Definitely different.

Taste- Kind of nice right up front- almost a little champagne-like. Things quickly go south from there. The sweet fruity flavors quickly turn astringent and metallic.

Mouthfeel- Nicely carbonated up front but it becomes a bit messy on the finish. There is a very odd and dry finish to it. Weird and itchy.

Overall- Definitely a different beast than it once was. It isn't really drinkable considering the odd mouthfeel and flavors, but it was fun to try.

Usual light beer characteristics: light colored, not overly hopped, faint hint of malt, too much carbonation. Not worth drinking, or peeing. Stick to the full bodied Pabst. This is just a watered down version.

2.1/5  rDev -19.8%

This beer was poured from a can into a pint glass. I poured it violently to create a head. It was white with big soap-bubble consistancy and disappeared quickly. As the head retreated to meet the surface of the beer level none of it stuck to the side of the glass. The beer stinks of musty wet hay and metal. The taste is only marginally better. Grainy yet watery as if brewed from inferior ingredients, as to be expected. Mediocre as hell. Actually, it tastes like all other cheap light beers around. I'm convinced they're all the same beer.

2.18/5  rDev -16.8%

Found a can in a friends fridge last night, figured I'd give it a go since I had never had it before. The pour was actually kind of impressive there was a big white foamy head on it white the liquid remained a very pale looking yellow. The smell was of sweet corn and a touch of malts. The taste was light of course but had an ok flavor for being a generic light lager. The mouthfeel was carbonated and a little tingly nothing over the top at all here. Probably won't ever drink it again but I enjoyed trying it.

2.21/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured from a 12oz. can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very light gold color with a large white head that fades quickly and leaves a decent lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light malts, adjuncts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste is bready, watery and a little sweet with the flavors of adjuncts, grain and barley. There's a very mild hops presence that brings a little balance. The after-taste is faint but slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, very light body, medium-to-high carbonation, clean finish.

D: Not very flavorful, goes down easily because there isn't much to it, not filling at all, mild kick, this is your stereo-typical light beer, it's very poundable but only because there's so little substance.

2.21/5  rDev -15.6%

PBR LIght - 2 for 99C at the 99C store. Worth it? I don't know. I just got a sixer of Rheingold for 1.50. Thats half the price and a better beer. Oh well, The 99C store is a good place to pick up strays I haven't rated yet; a place to buy singles of beers I wouldn't dream of buying a sixer of. So it goes.

Light crystal-clear gold with hardly any sight of carb activity, with the exception of one or two stray bubbles here and there.

Nose: Hollow
Taste: Same

This beer is very chic - but, not a pleasurable experience.

2.25/5  rDev -14.1%

This beer pours a clear golden color. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes quickly into sparse lacing. The aroma is of weak biscuty malt with a significant amount of corny spiciness. The taste is like the aroma, but without the malt tones. Really all I taste is the adjunct. The mouthfeel is watery thin, and over carbonated. Overall, this isn't the worst light lager I've tasted, but it is still tough to drink

2.35/5  rDev -10.3%

I'd never had PBR light. And then I volunteered for the company softball team....

Anyway, PBR Light is pretty much regular PBR, only lighter. My sense is that they simply take the regular beer and dilute it, but maybe I'm wrong. It pours the same pale straw color with the same short-lived head, while leaving no lace behind. It smells and tastes like your basic macro. Cooked veggies, straw and a bit of metal from the can are pretty much it. Overall, the flavor and aroma experience is more pronounced than most light beers, which I think is a good thing. The super light body and seltzer carbonation make PBR Light go down quick.

PBR Light is better than Bud Light, et al, but that doesn't mean it's a good beer. It's simply one of the better examples from a mediocre field.

2.53/5  rDev -3.4%

It is okay. I hated the metallic smell that creped out of my glass. The metal did cover up the corn (and unfortunately the subtle hops and malt smell as well). The taste is simple, there is some “beer” flavor, and it didn’t taste half-bad. As Light beer goes it is drinkable without losing much. Maybe the fact it is heavily carbonated hides some of the flavor flaws.

Better than the more popular light beers. You know which ones I’m talking about…

2.53/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Here we go again - take a good beer, or a bad one for that matter, and add water. Presto, Chango, lite beer. Lighter taste, smell, and calories. The thing I wonder is if I drink beer for the goodness of taste and smell, why would I want to not get those qualities. It is, of course, BTBL, but that's not much, is it?

2.54/5  rDev -3.1%

A - 12 oz can poured into a pint glass. Golden yellow color, highly carbonated with a small head.

S - Smelled of corn and grains. No skunk!

T - Had a faint hop-like quality to it. It wasn't watery like most light lagers.

M - It was crisp and light bodied.

D - I wouldn't get it every time but given a choice over a BMC or PBR, I'll grab the less expensive/better tasting PBR Light.

2.58/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can.

Smells like the original. PBR.

Taste is of light grains. Cooked corn. Nothing really astringent, or out of place. Then again, not much there in the first place.

Mouthfeel is slick and fizzy.

Drinks like water. A bit better than water, since it contains beer like ingrediants. Drank side by side with Pabst Ice. This one drinks easier.

2.6/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Appearance - Nice size head but leaves quick. Clear yellow color.

Smell - Lots of hop smell but not in a very good way.

Taste - Thin watery with a minor hop flavor. Crisp and clean.

Mouthfeel - Thin and light on the tongue.

Drinkability - Pabst light is not as good as Pabst. Not it is great beer but my uncle was a Pabst truck driver in Minnesota. So i am a fan since the first 10 years of my life it was the smell of daddy's kisses he he he

2.6/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Reached into my brother in law's beer fridge thinking I was grabbing a PBR, and I'm not ashamed to admit I don't mind PBR. What I found in my hand was the light version, so I figured, okay let's review this....

Poured from a 12 oz can into a pint glass. This was served quite cold. (Thankfully)

A) Pale straw yellow, with a two finger head that doesn't stick around. This is not much to look at, and frankly, I think I would have enjoyed it more right out of the can.

S) Weak aroma of grains, husk, light corn, and a hint of white grape.

T) Follows the nose pretty closely, with exception of a slight metallic taste, and very light grass, otherwise see above...

M) Pretty light and highly carbonated. You could pound this stuff if you felt like it. I did not feel like it.

O) I'm not claiming that PBR is the most flavorful lager you can find, but my goodness, is shaving off a few calories really worth it? I cannot recommend the light version. I guess ice cold it's a decent lawn mower beer, but if this warms up, well friend, you are just out of luck. Stick to regular PBR...

2.63/5  rDev +0.4%

For Macro Smackdown XIII I've decided to compare the light lager versions of two pretty decent standard lagers. Several things make this head-to-head interesting. One is that I gave Pabst Blue Ribbon and Heineken Lager identical scores of straight 3.0s. Another is that this beer is the light version of an American macro lager and its competitor is the light version of a Euro pale lager. I hope the beers themselves are at least semi-interesting.

Pale gold with a few fine flecks that indicate a lack of filtering. It's difficult to tell for certain, but I believe this beer is a fraction less pale. The cap can only be described as dingy white, almost light gray. It looks pretty decent otherwise. An acceptable amount of splotchy lace finds its way to the glass.

I smelled skunk of crown cracking, although I'm pretty sure it was emanating from the green-bottled Euro. PBR Light's nose is simple and grain-like with almost no appreciable hoppiness. Its less assertive nature makes this category a draw since the more aromatic HPLL doesn't use that advantage to its... uh... advantage.

This is amazing. The two flavor profiles are clearly different, yet there's no real difference in quality as I see it. This beer is very slightly more grain-like and its competitor has a touch more hop flavor. Otherwise, they might as well be the same beer. With no dating available it's hard to tell for sure, but I get the sense the Heineken product is a little fresher.

The mouthfeels are indistinguishable from one another. They're both light, as befits the style, and they're both moderately carbonated. Did Pabst and Heineken Nederland collaborate prior to releasing their respective products? I'm pretty sure that PRB Light has been around for a while and that HPLL is a fairly new release.

At this point it looks as though the scores will be the same all the way down the line; a first for any of the 22 head-to-head matchups that I've done so far. I need to break the tie, though, because I've just decided on a new rule that says there has to be a winner. And the winner is... the other beer (see that review for the reasons). Pabst Blue Ribbon Light is a decent light lager that I could drink if I had to. Obviously, that puts it comfortably ahead of any of the light lagers from BMC.

2.69/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours a pale straw gold, with lots of quickly-subsiding white foam. There's actually some attractive and detailed lacing here on my glass, too, believe it or not.

Aroma is adjunct corn and grainy malts. Nothing more, nothing less. Standard.

Taste is light, as expected, and even watery. The overall notes I get are rice and corn malts, though there seems to be a slight (ever-so-slight) touch of citrus hops near the finish.

Solid enough for the style, and this is one I can knock back easily. Don't go in expecting a world-class craft beer, and PBR Light works just fine.

2.75/5  rDev +5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Somehow I guy that I've tailgated with has his tailgate sponsered by Pabst.

A- Pours a bright, clear goldish color. Thin white head pretty much no retention or lacing.

S- Smells of grains, maybe a touch of a sour fruit but thats very faint if at all there.

T- Grain and corn not too much else.

M- Crisp and clean, lighter in body and carbonation is pretty much every where.

D- Nothing to write home to at all. I'd say its better than most other lighter marco beers...but that's not saying much either.

2.75/5  rDev +5%

Haven't seen the light version of PBR around to often but it showed up at a party I was at. Tastes very similar to PBR regular, which is good because I find that better than the usual Bud/Coors/Miller. It's easy to drink, cheap, and not awful tasting.. what else can you want when its $12 a 30?

2.77/5  rDev +5.7%

A: The pour is an extremely light yellow/gold color with an initially fluffy white head. That head dies down quickly.

S: The smell is sweet, mostly of corn and grain. There isn't much in the way of hops, if anything. There's still something "off" about it, though.

T: The taste is quite similar to the nose. The beer is sweet, light, and crisp. The flavor is still lacking in hops, but also is missing the off-putting qualities of the nose.

M: Light, thing bodied, and highly carbonated.

D: Not quite as good as "regular" PBR, but certainly not the worst light lager I've ever had. It's something you'd consider on a hot summer day when you're out and about, but definitely not something I'd reach for routinely.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast