Old Milwaukee Light | Pabst Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-12-2001

Liked:
2.49/5
Alströms:

Old Milwaukee Light, winner of the 2008 World Beer Cup gold medal, American Light Lager category.

Appearance: Beautiful, like a supermodel.

Smell: Crisp and clean, no funky smells, everything is OK.

Taste: Crisp, clean, no off-flavors. I can't detect the heavy cheap corn ingredients of regular Old Milwaukee. This tastes better than ANY of the light beers made by Bud, Coors, or Miller. The good folks at Old Milwaukee Inc. really nailed the light brew recipe here.

Mouthfeel: Brisk and fizzy, high carbonation, like an ice-cold can of Hamm's.

Drinkability: Five points, that's for sure.

Overall: Old Milwaukee Light is the best light brew on the market. Why pay more, when you can get the best for less?

4.88/5  rDev +96%

this beer i have known since I was a child. I grew up with ti=his beer and I will die with tis beer. the taste is very good compares with other lagers in this field the drinkability is as always quick to down in an instant. The taste is very good in a premium lager. I reammend this beer to many others to try.

4.79/5  rDev +92.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +90.8%

4.57/5  rDev +83.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Im embarrassed to say this, but this beer is actually a great tasting light beer. Who knew? It's got a clean taste with no tinny or weird aftertaste. I'm going to start buying this beer for the warmer months because i think it'll be a great lawn mowing beer. Don't be embarrassed like I've been, pick some of this up, it's actually better than most of the more expensive mass produced light beers. True Story!

4.45/5  rDev +78.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Old Milwaukee Light brewed by Pabst Brewing Company with an ABV 3.88. This brew pours out a nice light amber color with a small white head. This is a filtered brew you can see right though it. The smell is nice with some grains and malt. The taste is light, but rich. There is a lot going on in this brew. For being a light brew it has a lot of flavor and body. There is nothing overpowering in this brew. Old Milwaukee Light has a real nice balance it. The mouthfeel is nice, clean, and refreshing. Pabst Brewing Company did a nice job with this one. I would buy this brew again. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4.75 out 5.

4.4/5  rDev +76.7%

Nothing like a can of fresh toilet water to make your day shine but to be serious I have had many great times hanging with friends while drinking this beer so out of respect for old mil light and all the great times and memories I have been given I wanted to give this beer a good review.

4.38/5  rDev +75.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in: a black foam MGD coozie
Temperature: cold but not ice cold.
Appearance: the can is understated yet complex. Simple, classic, timeless.
Smell: subtle hint of aluminum but not an unpleasant amount. Overall smell is similar to a brewery leading me to believe that this beer is fresh.
Taste: excellent. Grains, malted barley, hops, spring water. When I burp I get a hint of Arbys roast beef.
Mouthfeel: good. I was thirsty before drinking this beer. Now my mouth feels much less dry. Slight lingering carbonation.
Overall: this is a great beer for drinking during almost any activity. I enjoyed it while watching baseball and grilling hot dogs. It will be the perfect addition to my July 4th weekend. I would also recommend drinking several of these while replacing your brakes or changing oil.

4.25/5  rDev +70.7%

4.08/5  rDev +63.9%

I tasted this beer and the flavor and taste are just awesome. But I search for light beer for my grandfather. I like its smell. Hope you can help me in my search "lists":http://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/the-best-tasting-light-beers .

It's a great water beer. Smooth for a light beer. Drink a hundred and still drive home.

3.95/5  rDev +58.6%

Drank straight out of the can. FIRST REVIEW!!!

A: I've poured it before and the beer is very piss yellow with a decent short lasting head.

S: My beer smell abilities are not great but to me this smells like opening a can of sweet corn and taking a big whiff.

T: The first thing I taste is the familiar macro brew corn taste with a hint club soda. The middle of the taste has a bit of caramel and hops but it's very low key. The beer finishes with a clean trip back to the club soda and corn flavors.

M: Very clean and crisp. Perfect for humid summer nights and consumed in mass quantities.

D: This beer is one of my go-to lazy night on the couch beers. It's no craft beer and is priced as such, but it is great at giving you what you expect to get in a light, cheap macro brew. It goes down easy and leaves little to no after taste. I do prefer a nice craft beer but when the funds are low and the mouth just wants old fashioned dad-type lawnmowing beer, Old Mud will do the trick!

Serving type: can

3.89/5  rDev +56.2%

Drank straight out of the can.

No appearance this time but I've poured this beer before and it is a light yellow typical of light lagers.

The smell is light corn and grain and I swear I smell a little bit of hops in there.

Taste is much like the smell. A light cereal grain with just a hint of corn on the back end. There is very little hop presence but it is there a tiny bit. The finish is completely clean and leaves you wanting another drink.

A friend turned me onto this beer and I'm very glad he did. It is a step above other mass produced light lagers and is one of the best values out there.

3.88/5  rDev +55.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Old Milwaukee Light - Pabst Brewing Company. Poured from the can into a glass mug, this brew's got a 2 finger thick soapy white head, no lacing, and a pale golden body.

I smell earthy, grassy grains. A decent malt characteristic shows up right at the end. No adjunct sweetness.

Ok, now for the taste. I'm picking up light malt tastes with a general light grain thing going on. You know, for an adjunct, this is pretty damned good!

Mouthfeel is clean as water. I mean, this brew is very refreshing *takes another hearty swig*

Overall a 4 for the underdog known as Old Milwaukee Light - Pabst Brewing Company. Wish I woulda known ya sooner, you will be missed...

3.85/5  rDev +54.6%

Old Milwaukee Light has a thick, stark-white head, a clear, bubbly, straw appearance, and a surprisingly good amount of residual lacing. The aroma is faint sweetness and grain, and the flavor is the same, and it has almost no hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Old Milwaukee Light finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, dry, and ultra drinkable. Overall, for what it is, it's a very good beer.

RJT

3.82/5  rDev +53.4%

Consumed from the can on 5/2/2011

My dad use to drink regular Old Milwaukee back in the 90s when I was but a young lad. I stopped at my local distributor; Armstrong Distributors in Kittanning, PA to pick up a case. I had it over the summer but did not remember much about it. When I got there, I decided to just go ahead for the Old Milwaukee Light.

Appearance: It's a light beer, you know? I didn't really pour too much out, just enough to get a color and good smell. This is a can beer, made to be consumed by the can. It's just one of those beers.

Smell: Not too shabby. The smooth smell of malts, creamed corn, a whiff of alcohol and a bit of lemony hops.

Taste: A little bit of malt up front with a quick shot of creamed corn and other adjunct...rice? Follows through with a bit of a lemony hop twang and finished very, very clean and a bit dry. I like it. Very good for a light beer.

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated, but not so much a bad thing. can burn the tongue a bit. A very light beer, crisp going down.

Overall this is THE best light beer I have ever had. I am not going to just rate this as a premium, or craft beer because it's unfair and fails the test. I reviewed this compared to others for what it is, a light beer. I can say that If I am ever in a light beer mood I will gladly seek and buy this one again.

3.79/5  rDev +52.2%

3.78/5  rDev +51.8%

12oz can into pint glass.

Pours a pale straw color with an almost perfectly white one finger head. No particulates, clear as crystal.

Not going to take a typical review format with this one because there's not much to it... adjuncts, a light amount of hops, and some malted barley. In a great combination though. This is my go-to light beer. It's well balanced and actually offers hints of flavor compared to its competitors. Not tinny or metallic like lots of other beers of this caliber. Enjoyable for what it is.

3.75/5  rDev +50.6%

3.75/5  rDev +50.6%

3.73/5  rDev +49.8%

Presentation: 12 oz can, no freshness date. I love the boasting on the can; 1999 GABF Gold medal winner … America’s Best Tasting Light Beer.

Appearance: Translucent very pale yellow, perfect clarity with a minimal yet sticky lace on top.

Smell: Very clean nose with hints of grain and a smidgen of hops.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Super smooth with a spot on crispness, watery malt and cereal grain flavour. Very little hops at all, just a small amount of bitterness and not flavour. Very clean on the palate with little to no off flavours … I could not detect any. Clean and dry.

Notes: This is what a light beer is supposed to be, If I was a light beer drinker this is the one I would go for time and time again.

3.71/5  rDev +49%

This Beer has a good rating by the bro's , and there right!

3.6/5  rDev +44.6%

My new domestic light lager of choice. Why spend a few bucks more a 12-er when Old Milwaukee tastes just as good? Like most macro drinkers, I had to overcome a certain stereotypical view of Old Milwaukee (and its association to Milwaukee's Best, which I've always cowered at the thought of), but have come around to see that this beer is every bit as good as the light beers from Bud, Miller and Coors.
Most light beer drinkers don't particularly care about mouthfeel and appearance, although Old Mil is at the top of the class in all these categories. It's light, crisp and minus the skunky taste which permeates some cheaper lagers.
If you go into a can of it expecting it to taste like your favorite pale ale, well, you're not gonna like it. If you just want a refreshing, easy-drinking light lager that is light on the billfold, I think you've found your new beer.

Old Milwaukee Light from Pabst Brewing Company