Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Old Milwaukee Light | Pabst Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
poor
good
Read the review

Pabst Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-12-2001

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Reviews: 62 | Ratings: 214
3.26/5  rDev +20.3%

Pale yellow appearance with fizzy white head that quickly disappears. Smell is very light, some hops and grain, but nonetheless clean.

For the taste, I picked up some malt, grain and hops, but overall hard to pick up. Light bodied with medium-high carbonation. Aftertaste is almost nonexistent, slightly bitter.

In conclusion, this makes you realize that light beer is not about an exotic blend of tastes, but clean and refreshing taste. This beer accomplishes that, for a light beer it's not bad. Still, it's a little to watery. I can foresee this being chugged at American frat houses.

3.44/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Picked up a case at Meijer in Brighton, MI on the road trip back to Brooklyn. We enjoyed many a can on New Year's Eve 2010.

A - Very, very pale yellow...to be expected
S - Nice hoppy-wheat smell.
T - Stale grain taste up front that slowly dissipates into nothingness.
M - Not much.
D - Had about four in really fast succession.

2.64/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some grains. Taste is very mild, really nothing here at all, a slight bitterness at the finish. Feels light in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall this is a low quality beer.

Old Milwaukee Light, winner of the 2008 World Beer Cup gold medal, American Light Lager category.

Appearance: Beautiful, like a supermodel.

Smell: Crisp and clean, no funky smells, everything is OK.

Taste: Crisp, clean, no off-flavors. I can't detect the heavy cheap corn ingredients of regular Old Milwaukee. This tastes better than ANY of the light beers made by Bud, Coors, or Miller. The good folks at Old Milwaukee Inc. really nailed the light brew recipe here.

Mouthfeel: Brisk and fizzy, high carbonation, like an ice-cold can of Hamm's.

Drinkability: Five points, that's for sure.

Overall: Old Milwaukee Light is the best light brew on the market. Why pay more, when you can get the best for less?

1.9/5  rDev -29.9%

I CAN't believe that I have not reviewed this before. Well, here goes!

A finger of bone-white head that fell like the housing market. Color was a light straw-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was lightly malty sweet with a cereal quality. Mouthfeel was thin with a light sweetness along with a slight cereal quality. Finish was thin, bland, unassuming. Fizzy yellow beer sucks (and a lot of it is in CANs)!

2.8/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, pale yellow. 1/4inch head of a clear color with poor retention and no lacing. Smells of adjunct in a clean lager. Fits the style of a light lager. Has a smooth and crisp mouth feel. There's a high carbonation level present. Tastes of adjunct mostly with a strong lager characteristic. Slight malt background is noticeable in the aftertaste. Overall, another light lager which is definitely not my favorite style.

2.58/5  rDev -4.8%

This came from a 16 fl. oz. can with a lot number on the bottom of the can of 03099-C50616 and it was sampled on the day of this rating.

The pour is pale yellow with little to no head but considerable carbonation that bubbles all through the session. The aroma is grassy and corny but if you take a deep enough whiff you might catch a little bit of hops. The mouthfeel is about average for a light macros but it doesn't seem quite as watered down. The taste also has some vague hops but little to no alcohol sensation. Actually it is not quite as bad as some of the previous reviewers have claimed.

3.6/5  rDev +32.8%

My new domestic light lager of choice. Why spend a few bucks more a 12-er when Old Milwaukee tastes just as good? Like most macro drinkers, I had to overcome a certain stereotypical view of Old Milwaukee (and its association to Milwaukee's Best, which I've always cowered at the thought of), but have come around to see that this beer is every bit as good as the light beers from Bud, Miller and Coors.
Most light beer drinkers don't particularly care about mouthfeel and appearance, although Old Mil is at the top of the class in all these categories. It's light, crisp and minus the skunky taste which permeates some cheaper lagers.
If you go into a can of it expecting it to taste like your favorite pale ale, well, you're not gonna like it. If you just want a refreshing, easy-drinking light lager that is light on the billfold, I think you've found your new beer.

1.43/5  rDev -47.2%

I went into this review not expecting much. Guess what I got in return... not much. A yellowish color under some fizzy river suds. Smells and taste like a hybrid between rice, corn and garbage water. Watery but fizzy body. Maybe someday I will find a light lager that does not give me bad dreams.

4.88/5  rDev +80.1%

this beer i have known since I was a child. I grew up with ti=his beer and I will die with tis beer. the taste is very good compares with other lagers in this field the drinkability is as always quick to down in an instant. The taste is very good in a premium lager. I reammend this beer to many others to try.

I was given an Old Milwaukee Light at a get together when nothing else was available. This beer is pale in color, no foamy head, skunky and green both in taste and aroma. I don't think I got a bad can, I think this beer just flat out sucks. Who drinks this shit? This was so bad it gave me a headache. Cheaply made, by far the worst beer I have ever drank in my life.

2.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Pale gold with a head that goes away right away. This beer smells like Cheerios! It smells just like when you open a box of Cheerios and take a wiff. So I guess I could say OM Light has a cereal grain odor. It tastes OK for a cheap crappy light beer. Not too bitter or rancid. It's pretty easy to drink. It watery and thin and doesn't taste completely crappy therefore I say it's pretty drinkable. No terrible aftertaste either. I don't much care for this style of beer but for this style of beer, it's a pretty decent one. $5.99 12 pack... MSU football tailgater's friend.

2.71/5  rDev 0%

Old Milwaukee Light pours a light yellow color with a huge white head from a twelve ounce can. The aroma is sweet, and a bit of cereal grain, and if you take a big whiff you get musty which almost gives it an industrial like quality. This is a light, sweet flavored beer, tasting mostly of cereal grains but it finishes very clean. Better than I expected, and not bad for a beer in its style. The can says "America's Best Tasting Beer" I wouldn't go quite that far.

2.95/5  rDev +8.9%

Nothing special here. Its a light beer that looks, smells, and tastes like a light beer. There are better versions out there, but I'd take this over a Bud Light any day.

Fairly refreshing, but nothing remarkable about the taste. Good for a warm day.

2.13/5  rDev -21.4%

A - Poured out a straw yellow color with a foamy, white, two-finger head. No lace.

S - Smelled of some light malt and corn.

T - It tasted of light sweet malt with some bitter bite from hops.

M - Better than expected from a light beer. It is crisp, sharp and light bodied. Not thin and watery like some other light beers.

D - Not great tasting, but easy drinking. Makes a good lawnmower beer.

2.47/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

well i am surprised. it was a hot humid day and i was thirsty. my daddy in law brought over a 12 of this and i thought - greaaat! well it sat for a week. i was low on beer so i poured one of these into my glass. more carbonation and good smell than i expected. the flavor was quite light but pretty decent. (it is a light beer)

drinkable especially in summer. better than anticipated.

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

1.94/5  rDev -28.4%

Appearance - Light golden/yellow. Clear and bubbly. Tall white soapy head quickly dissipates. Pretty average for style.

Smell - Faint sweet malt. Something else kind of unpleasant.

Taste - Quite light. Begins candy sweet and finishes with just a hint of hoppiness. Pretty standard for a macro light - the finished product, though, its a little off-tasting.

Mouthfeel - Light and tingly.

Drinkability - A little more character than many macro lights, but not a flavor I would return for. Gets a bump for being reeealll cheap and for referring to that queen of cities - Milwaukee.

3.45/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured a pale golden color with moderate white puffy head.
Smell is light with some faint sweet notes.
Taste is also light with litlle taste , but very refreshing when ice cold. Less so as it warms.
Light finish with litlle taste retention.
A refreshing light beer. With the low alcohol you could pound a number of these.

2.65/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours golden/corny looking into beer glass. Foams up a bit and recedes completely and no lace remains as does with OM Regular. Taste is mildly watered down, not as bad as a lot of light beers, tastes corny and has a very pleasant sweet taste and aftertaste unlike any other light macro's I'm familiar with.

With the pleasant aftertaste you may find yourself wanting more than 1 can of this stuff. Definately one of my top 3 light macro's if nothing else for lack of unpleasant aftertaste and presence of some flavor throughout. Go with OM regular if not calorie conscious for more flavor.

2.05/5  rDev -24.4%

Was given one of these by a buddy last night after he criticized the Schneider Weisse I was drinking.

Pours a thin, piss yellow body with zero head. Smells literally like musty sweat. Somehow, some way there is a decent amount of lacing. Taste is surprisingly not bad, a bit of bite at the start and no apparent aftertaste, but nothing special. Mouthfeel is what all light macros feel like: watery. Definitely easy to drink if you're looking for a beer with almost no taste or alcohol content, or something to funnel at a party.

2.5/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Usually hot day out here in Michigan. Time for a lighter beer. Might as well finish off this 30 pack I "enjoyed" while camping last weekend. Very light in color, slight head, nicely carbonated. Aroma is almost nothing, slightly grainy but rather clean. Taste is very clean, almost too clean. No off flavors, nice long smooth body but not much else. Great camping beer, not too good of a tasting beer. Not as flavorful as the Miller Lite I had before this one. Well made, just weak and unflavorful in the end.

2.15/5  rDev -20.7%

My inlaws came this last weekend and bought a new used Lexus SUV. They cleaned out their old vehicle in our garage. One of the items removed was an old Coleman cooler. Within this Coleman cooler were a can of Keystone Light, a Busch Light and three of these, Old Mud Light. They took home the Lexus, but forgot these gems, I guess they don't think they'll fit the image of a Lexus driver.
So I'm sitting down doing some reviews late tonight, as I don;t work tommorrow and I think what the hell, I'll toss those bad boys down. Not a good idea.

Appearance & Smell: Macro in every way, light golden, bubbly, sweet adjunct smelling.

Taste: Not totally foul, just not really there.

Mouthfeel: Light and watery.

Drinkability: NO! I'm going to pour the other two down the drain.

Final Thoughts: I remember when I was a senior in high school and got a job in the spring & summer in 1992 at the Husker CO-OP in Columbus, NE. (Anyone who has spent time on the farm will know what I'm talking about.) Every Friday was payday, and someone would run over to this little grocery store and pick up a case of this. The guys who worked there were all farmers or retired from farming, and in our area this is what the farmers drank (at the time, now its Busch Light). I would head up to the office to clock out and grab my paycheck and they'd always offer me a couple. I always said yeah, even though I didn't really like this stuff, but it always made me feel good, like the old guys repsected me enough to share their beer with. Aah good times, when things were simple. Just a random old beer memory.

2.58/5  rDev -4.8%

Not a bad light beer...pours a light gold....clear..highly carbonated appearance with a big ass fizzy white head...nose is light cooked cornbody is light but with a little substance...flavor is moderately sweet...slight maltiness evident....there is more to this than say Coors Light....No bad off flavors....finishes with a little dryness to it...really not bad at all...won a few honors as best tasting light beer and it doesn't shock me...I like a few others better but it's splitting hairs sometimes with the light beers and this one does not offend and actually has a small whiff of character..

2.38/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A straight forward light version of it's full flavored brother. Watery taste with medium / light carbonation, and weak flavor of corn and hops. Not bad on a hot day, but there are many other brews i'd much rather have first. Overall not bad, but once again, nothing special.

2.41/5  rDev -11.1%

It was an old milwaukee that was my first beer when I was 15 years old, so when my buddy was drinking it last night, I asked him for a trip down memory lane. I drank it right out of the 12 oz. can. Smells was a little stale, with some corn and malt noticable. Taste was pretty watered down, not much in the hops department, or flavor department in general. This sample made me realize why I didn't make a point of having one of these in the past 6 years. Not that bad, but not many redeeming qualities, except it's price.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast