Old Milwaukee Light | Pabst Brewing Company

poor
good
Read the review

Pabst Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-12-2001

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 62 | Ratings: 215

It's not that bad, but it's also not that good. It's just there. There was nothing that stood out about this one, except the fact that it tastes like regular Bud, which is ok for a light beer. I'm definately not a Bud fan, but I would choose this over it, because it is the same thing at a fraction of the cost. It's a major beer here at Crabford... I mean Radford University. It's cheap and freshman chicks don't know the difference, so it's a frat boys best friend.

3.73/5  rDev +37.6%

Presentation: 12 oz can, no freshness date. I love the boasting on the can; 1999 GABF Gold medal winner … America’s Best Tasting Light Beer.

Appearance: Translucent very pale yellow, perfect clarity with a minimal yet sticky lace on top.

Smell: Very clean nose with hints of grain and a smidgen of hops.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Super smooth with a spot on crispness, watery malt and cereal grain flavour. Very little hops at all, just a small amount of bitterness and not flavour. Very clean on the palate with little to no off flavours … I could not detect any. Clean and dry.

Notes: This is what a light beer is supposed to be, If I was a light beer drinker this is the one I would go for time and time again.

3.35/5  rDev +23.6%

Brought to me during my BAd Beer Festival as one of the bad beers, I had to try it. The can states outright that it won the Best American light Beer in 1999. So this was not going to be any PBR (best beer of 1889 or something.)
Anyway, I hate can beer but when cracked, it smelled average..Nothing bad. Served extra cold it is a smooth light, light beer. It isn't as weak as Bud Lite and leaves a very clean after-taste
. I liked this but I am sure if it sits too long, it must taste a bit rank.
Not bad for a "BAd Beer"

2.35/5  rDev -13.3%

Very thin, pale straw, a thin sheet of a soapy head, that evaporates quickly. Some light malty aroma, tough to pick up much on the nose. Thin, weak and a watery body, noted consistently through a few of these. Some delicate malts detected throughout. Nothing offensive, yet nothing to reel you in for more.

2.53/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

For a light brew, this is pretty fair...not good but fair.
Nice colour of medium gold with a fast acting head, disapates quickly. The body is medium as well the carbonation.
Well balanced taste with a crisp and clear nose.
However, as well balanced it seems, it quickly stops. No lingering here..no personality either.

2.15/5  rDev -20.7%

This is a light version of a very cheap beer, so I wasn't expecting much. Pours with almost no head when ice cold. Taste is very weak and watered down. What taste you get is slight malted grain and only a very shadow of hops. A very poor example of a light beer.

2.17/5  rDev -19.9%

Old Milwaukee Light is simply a very average light beer. It's more tolerable than the regular version, and is actually quite easy to drink, however it contains the tastelessness that we all expect from a light beer.

OM Light pours a very pale straw color that doesn't look like beer all that much. A one finger foam disappears in about 30 seconds. The smell is grainy/adjuncty, maybe a little on the sweet side, mixed with some of that "cheap beer huskiness" smell. Watery mouthfeel. The initial taste is a little sweet, with hints of corn in there. Tastes adjuncty. Watery elsewhere on the palette. Miniscule amount of hop flavor is present. The aftertaste is clean, save for some grain taste. The beer concludes with no alcoholic warmth.

In conclusion, this beer actually reminds me of Schaefer Light, perhaps with a little less flavor. This beer is not outstanding in any way, but at the same time it doesn't offend my taste buds either.

The last time I tasted this beer, it wasn't to bad. It had an average flavor and the taste was also average. Although, I was drinking this beer as I was playing horseshoes in 100 degree weather. At that time, I would say anything would have tasted good. Before then, I tried it once and have tasted worst.

2.2/5  rDev -18.8%

Poured can into my glass to see a beer about as pale as I could possibly imagine. Very pale yellow and almost gray around the edges, like a burnt, dying lawn in the summertime. Head was forced, coarse, and very white, and it only hung in there long enough so the makers could claim it has a head. Terrible aroma, at least when first poured. It wreaked of rotten eggs. After that, odor dissipated the beer only had a slight sweet corn smell. It didn’t taste awful, just boring. It was very light tasting. A slight sweetness I couldn’t pin to any ingredient, I assume it was corn. I think I may have tasted a miniscule hoppiness on the third sip of the second can, but I can’t be sure. The beer had a mild husky finish.

This actually wasn’t a bad beer. If the folks who produce it could get rid of the egg smell and give it some color it would be a decent light beer. As it is right now it’s better than some because it is completely inoffensive.

2.94/5  rDev +8.5%

i have to admit to drinking this a lot in my college days....it was our house beer of choice and was priced right for a case of returnable bottles. after all these years, after sampling it again, i see it wasn't such a bad choice. of course it has the usual adjunct aroma and taste, but it's not obnoxious or offending. it actually tastes good and goes down smooth and easy. for light macro swill, one could do a lot worse. ah...the memories! but don't worry....i won't be drinking this again anytime soon! age and wisdom have taken over, and the beer world has opened up to me in ways i never dreamed of ten years ago.

1.4/5  rDev -48.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Tastes like regular Old Milwaukee after some ice cubes melted in it. Very clear color, absent of any hops that I could detect. I don't think they use any barley either. It is drinkable, but so is anti-freeze.

Light pleasant malt aroma. Full bubbly head that leaves rather quickly. Pale straw color. Very light on flavor from start through the finish. No hop qualities. Light and quick dry finish, that lacks crispness. Mouthfeel very thin despite the full carbonation.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last