Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Blatz Beer | Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Brewing Company
pabstbrewingco.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-11-2002

Yummy. Mouth feel is smooth.

4.44/5  rDev +83.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Blatz is quite good. It is refreshing and it also comes in an exceptionally sturdy cardboard box that can be repurposed for many years to come. The 24 pack of bottles generally runs about 15 dollars and the beer is quite good, several bottles can be drunk with no major problems. Many of the craft/special beers, which are good in their own right, can contain lots of alcohol and other chemicals that cause the drinker to become drunk and sick after only drinking one or two beers. Blatz is so well balanced that the enjoyment can be prolonged well into the 4th or 5th beer making the total experience on par with or exceeding that of some of the very rich and chemical laden craft-type beers.

4.14/5  rDev +71.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

This is a really good beer for the price.

Light, pale straw color, plenty of carbonation. Quickly dissipating head.

Smells mostly of malts, but also you can really smell the hops.

It has a very malty taste and some delicious hops follow. Very carbonated, but that gives it a crisp taste.

Crisply carbonated, light and tingly. Refreshing.

This is a good beer. A lot of people might pass it up by looking at the price and the name and even review it based on that, but don't turn your nose to this stuff and give it an honest taste. You can't judge a book by it's cover.

3.95/5  rDev +63.2%

12 oz can poured into a glass. This beer pours a straw like color with a fizzy white head that quickly disappears. The taste is a little better than your typical macro. By far my favorite "cheap beer" I'll take this over a Bud or Miller anyday.

3.75/5  rDev +55%

3.73/5  rDev +54.1%

Blatz has a thick, white head and a clear, bubbly, straw appearance, with minimal associated lacing. The aroma is of sweet, musty grains, and the flavor is of grass, sweet grain, and a touch of hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Blatz finishes crisp and dry. Overall, this is very good, and I recommend giving it a try.

RJT

3.67/5  rDev +51.7%

Found a place in Rhinelander Wisconsin that sells Blatz cases in Bottles. Decided to buy this retro in give it a try. I was very surprised at how good it was out of the bottle. In fact we still had some of the Schlitz 60's that everyone is raving about (myself included)formula beer so we decided to do a blind taste test. To our surprise the 2 beers were almost identical, with the Blatz a little smoother, in the end the Blatz beat out the Schlitz, will keep this on my summer beer list.

3.65/5  rDev +50.8%

3/21/2011

Served from a can into a pilsener glass.

I happen to love the can design.

Says: Established Milwaukee 1851
Brewed by G.Heileman Brewing Co.

Appearance: a light golden hue. Very little head is produced and what is, sticks around for only a minute.

Smell: Grainy. A little adjunct, almost no malt, and a tad bit of spicy hops.

Taste: Not too shabby actually. A little malt up front. A quick taste of cereal graininess and then the hops come in for a quick hit. The longer I let it sit and warm the more the floral hops show their presence. I'm quite impressed on the hops note. I'm a huge fan of hops and i'm glad to get a pretty mild hint of them in a cheap beer.

Mouthfeel: Mildly carbonated. Kind of like a light soda. Goes down very easy.

Overall I do enjoy Blatz. I can only compare it to Schlitz at this point. Better than any other macro out there.
I would recommend it if you were on a budget and truthfully I am. I will probably pick this up some time down the road again.

Schlitz may give you the shits. But i'm sure that Blatz will probably give me the shats.

3.6/5  rDev +48.8%

One of the better AALs I've ever had. Not bad at all.

3.6/5  rDev +48.8%

small head, gone rather quickly.

light amber color, cystal clear.

very light nose, some grain/corn.

light taste, smooth and dry. finished with minimal bitterness.

thinner than ice water in the mouth.

overall i would say for the price it was above average beer. i would buy it again and not be afraid to share it with friends.

3.53/5  rDev +45.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Blatz Beer is a great drinking beer. This brew has an ABV of 4.90% The brew pours out a nice amber color with a small white head. Blatz is brew I get ,when I want something old school. The smell is rich with flavor, you pick up on, grains and malts. There is hit of hops in this brew. Blatz is your typical American Style lager beer. Not saying that is a bad thing. The taste is light , but bold with flavor. This brew has a nice balance to it, there is nothing overpowering about Blatz. This beer in my opinion this brew has fallen off the wagon if you will. Blatz is hard to find in stores. Has the taste and smell is an american classic, the way brew should taste. The mouthfeel is nice, smooth and bold. Overall I'm giving Blatz a 3.50 out of 5. I would buy this brew again.

3.53/5  rDev +45.9%

Pours a golden yellow typical macro lager color. Full white head with good retention and nice lacing.

Smells again like a typical macro lager. Grainy and a bit metallically.

Good taste. One of the finest macro lagers. Clean, crisp with sweet corn flavors.

Smooth in the mouth, light and well carbonated.

If you want something light this is a great beer. Nice flavor. I'll admit I have a soft spot for this beer and it may not be everyone's cup of tea but give it a shot. Especially if you can find the long necks with the real bottle top before they move to the twist-off type (which is rumored to be soon).

3.5/5  rDev +44.6%

As a blast from the past, this was really a lot better than I expected.
Straight lager malt aroma that's less sweet than many others.
Pretty standard appearance, but the way it's suppose to be. Big full sturdy white head, gold-yellow and clear.
Light over all flavor, of course, but better balance of malt and hops than most, therefore less bitter with some pleasing dryness.
Feel is thin, smooth and thirst quenching. Somewhat soft and carbonation isn't excessive.
This is better than most from a macro brewery. Better balanced than most. Drink cold!

3.5/5  rDev +44.6%

Blatz. The official beer of Vintage Snowmobile riding. When its 10 below and you screaming across the lake at 30mph on a 40 year old snowmobile, Blatz is the beer for you. Another great throwback from G. Heilmann, keeping the memory of a bygone era where clear yellow lager was the ONLY choice alive. An american tradition and not a bad beer.

3.49/5  rDev +44.2%

Poured from a can into my favorite PBR goblet.

A= Very pale yellow pour, looks a little more reasonable in the glass. 1 finger head that dissapates within a minute. Very few carbination bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass

S= All I can smell is corn in this one, corn smell is stronger as the beer warms.

T= Tasted better than I expected from the name. goes down fairly smooth without the offensive finish i've discovered in so many modern macros brews. slightly dry finish, that doesn't linger on the palatte.

M= I found this brew pleasantly fizzy. seems to have the density of a light beer without a heavy feel.

D= I'm on the 5th one out of the 6 pack I picked up and I've enjoyed every one. I would drink this beer again.

3.48/5  rDev +43.8%

Until recently I did not think they still brewed this beer. Over the years I've collected Blatz momorbila for our rec room bar. When I discovered the beer was still brewed, I was disapointed it is not available in the Buffalo area. A friend from Wisconson sent me a six pack. Pours a very light golden, thin head,with moderate lace,and lots of bubbles. Smell is of light malt and yeast. Body is light, and carbonated. Taste is smooth and creamy,with a dry finish. This is a decent beer, though light. I would take it over Bud. Try one if you can find it.

3.43/5  rDev +41.7%

Whilst drinking some admittedly fantastic beer (Double Trouble, Panzer Wolf, Port Mongo) at Haymarket in Chicago, I suddenly spied this long-time 'want' of mine; jubilation ensued.

I used to have a Blatz t-shirt, and was also a fan of the East Bay punk band of the same name. I had never had a Blatz beer, however, until now.

The beer is basic fizzy adjunct lager, really. It has a bit more grainy sweetness than most, akin to Old Milwaukee in that regard, and is expectedly light and watery. There is an unusual creaminess to the feel, as if the bubbles are smaller than normal. For what it is, it is pretty good. I am crushing the whole can as an (effective) palate cleanser between hop-bomb DIPAs.

3.42/5  rDev +41.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Good Ol' Blatz. Blatz was the 1st beer I had ever purchased at drinking age. My dad said the family tavern carried 2 beers, Blatz, and Schlitz. Blatz was my hands down choice for many years, and many returnable bottles in the early 90's.

Bought a 24 pack of cans. Poured into my usual small lager stein. Light straw color, quickly dissipating head.

Aroma, peppery slightly sweet easy drinking classic beer smell.

Taste light, slightly bitter hint of hops, actually more hoppy than most big name American style lagers. Even as the beer warms the taste stays consistent, light, grassy, little sweetness, hops present.

Light on the tip of the tongue, then carbonation comes through on the back of the tongue.

This is my go to beer at my local go to bar. I love the old Blatz brown triangle label, wish they would go back to the white background. This is truly one of the best working class brews.

3.4/5  rDev +40.5%

3.4/5  rDev +40.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Look: Decent head with the classic beer color. Ask most people to point to what they think of as beer and they will point to this. Pleasant, sweet, aroma. Tastes like what most people would recognize as beer. Yes, it is an adjunct but it hides the fact reasonably well.

Beer snobs like to rip on basic lagers, especially when they're relatively cheap. The bottom line is, this isn't a bad beer, especially for the price. No obvious corn or rice flavor to it, no unpleasant smell or taste. On a warm summer day, I can think of a lot worse beers to be drinking, even highly rated craft beers. If I went to someone's house and offered me one, I'd gladly accept it. If they were good company and I didn't have to worry about driving home, I'd have a few more.

Blatz Beer from Pabst Brewing Company