Blatz Beer | Pabst Brewing Company

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-11-2002

2.25/5  rDev -6.6%

3.06/5  rDev +27%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Three "pint" mugs in rapid succession at Miller's Pub.

Crystal clear, pale yellow, feeble head, visible carbonation.

Skunky aroma at first, sulfur, corn... ehhh. Nothing too exciting going on here. At least it's reined in and somewhat passable...as long as it's super cold. The skunk seemed to fade after a little while.

Flavor is similarly average, dry with the barest indication of bready malt and some minimal white grape. Sort of crisp, not that offensive really. Not getting much in the way of hops, but that seems to lend to the whole "inoffensive" thing. Somewhat watery and gassy, yet it dries up on the palate quickly. Pretty bland, but it gets the job done. I'd proudly drink this over Old Style. There, I said it.

2.9/5  rDev +20.3%

CAN you dig it? I pulled off a major trade in the Heinz Field parking lot a couple of weeks ago before watching Pitt lose (by a missed PAT!) to Cincy. I think that I developed a slight head cold during the snowy weather and so my reviews got put on hold until my sinuses cleared. Let the CAN Quest continue!

Well, well, well. If this does not transport me back to my misspent teenage years, I don't know what will. My best friend's dad used to buy this by the case in returnable bottles. We would sneak several at a time up to his room to consume while listening to Zep, Aerosmith, whatever was spinning on the turntable. Ah, memories. Bill Hull, this one is for you. R.I.P.

I got a finger-and-a-half of bubbling, rocky, bone-white that was falling like Wile E. Coyote to the canyon floor. The lacing was nice, though. The color was a straw-yellow with NE-quality clarity. The nose was very sweet with obvious cereal qualities. Mouthfeel was medium with the standard lager/cereal sweetness on the tongue that seems to present itself in so many of these throwbacks. Is this true to the 1970's/'80's recipe? I cannot remember, but I am not impressed. The finish was standard, middle-of-the-road, ho-hum fare.

I'll stick with my memories. Reality is too depressing.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

1.5/5  rDev -37.8%

2.73/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a medium straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a sweet husky grain with hints of cooked corn.

The taste consisted of a light grainy malt, some sweet corn and a smattering of flowery hop. Overall clean and light.

The mouthfeel was light with a slight slickness.

Overall a good and drinkable macro. Nothing great here, but a nice alternative to the big boys. Thanks to czoch75.

1.5/5  rDev -37.8%

2.75/5  rDev +14.1%

2.8/5  rDev +16.2%

Brought this one back from a trip to Columbus Ohio.

Pours a clear yellow brew that says "American Macrobrew" as no other color can.

Smell is light and mild lemon traces, light but detectable hops scent.

Taste light and mild grain sweetness. Mild tartness to the flavor, no strong corn flavor like most macros. Mild clean flavor without any off tastes, suspect a lot of wheat is used in making this brew.

Mouthfeel is light.

Non offensive thirst quencher beats Budweiser for the price.

3.16/5  rDev +31.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Sometimes you just have sentimental favorites even though you know that it objectively isn't the greatest thing in the world. With that said, welcome to applicability, my Blatz review.

You get that macro yellow, small 1/3" white head. Aroma smells like mass production and grains.

Super carbonated, long boil high alpha acid non proprietary Cascade and noble hops? This is my party beer. Good in so many situations, reliable, cheap. Its not my go to for hops, malt or yeast (which is kinda fruity here, that or its the corn adjunct).

Good for camping, fishing, shooting, golf, partying, palate cleanser, whatever floats your boat.

1.92/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

3.3/5  rDev +36.9%

Hey Blatz beer, all super clear and super straw yellow. Aroma of the faintest degree of downtown Milwaukee.

Taste, no hops, malt was warmed, nowhere near roasted, but a yummy sweet presence with the corn does the trick in this guy. Great fishing beer in Northern Wisconsin. Goes down super easy, nothing more to think about, decent price, though slightly rising.

2.03/5  rDev -15.8%

Update 4/14...Had another of these....this really is kind of bad....an off taste and a bad after taste...kind of tough to drink...dropped some numbers slightly...I'd now say this is a step below Busch, Old Mil, etc...

I got this for nostalgic sakes...I remember this at a lot of family gatherings in South Milwaukee, and Cudahy Wisconsin when I was a kid...my uncles used to always have this and Pabst and Schlitz....Back when they were all seperate regional breweries out of Milwaukee...now I'm not sure who is really brewing what and I doubt this is the same beer as back then but I'm rating it none-the-less.

Pours clear, light yellow...nose smells like Beer smelled like when you are a kid....then a sweeter adjunct laced aroma eminates from the glass...body is about medium for this style...starts a little fizzy and then settles down into a flatter mouthfeel...the taste is not bad...I expected worse....considerably better than something called "Blue Diamond" I found last year...this is definitely drinkable and would be worth a shot for the right price (say $8 a case)....Up here it's priced at about $13 a case which is too high...I finally found a place that sold sixers so I finally bought it...

Back to the taste....If Schlitz was the hoppier beer out of Milwaukee back then I'm guessing this was more of a sweeter, but lighter style beer...seems to slide down real easy...There are many beers worse than this..I was worried I was going to have to dumpo the rest of the sixer to rate this but I just poured a second...

This does have an "off "after taste but really this isn't bad, and like I said for the right price this would be appropriate in the right situation....Schlitz, High Life, and Pabst are better but this rates in there with Busch...Old Mil....etc....

If you've never had it, and you are into beer history you really should give it a try...

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.43/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.99/5  rDev +24.1%

12 ounce can
Served in a pilsner glass

A - It is light straw colored with plenty of carbonation rising from the laser etchings in the bottom of the glass. It is capped with about three inches of white head.

S - The aroma is sweet grain and lemon grass.

T - I used to think this beer tasted like shit. Now I find it lacking in flavor. It has slightly more taste than a Bud. It almost reminds me of a PBR.

M - Thin

O - This is a cheap beer with little taste. The only reason it is unpopular with college kids is marketing.

3.73/5  rDev +54.8%

Blatz has a thick, white head and a clear, bubbly, straw appearance, with minimal associated lacing. The aroma is of sweet, musty grains, and the flavor is of grass, sweet grain, and a touch of hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Blatz finishes crisp and dry. Overall, this is very good, and I recommend giving it a try.

RJT

3.5/5  rDev +45.2%

As a blast from the past, this was really a lot better than I expected.
Straight lager malt aroma that's less sweet than many others.
Pretty standard appearance, but the way it's suppose to be. Big full sturdy white head, gold-yellow and clear.
Light over all flavor, of course, but better balance of malt and hops than most, therefore less bitter with some pleasing dryness.
Feel is thin, smooth and thirst quenching. Somewhat soft and carbonation isn't excessive.
This is better than most from a macro brewery. Better balanced than most. Drink cold!

2.59/5  rDev +7.5%

Yellow colored with a foamy white head that shows some longevity.
Nose is generally vacant, with some grain alcohol and vegetable fumes.
Taste is all honey-touched creamed corn, raw grain, and the fizzy bitterness of seltzer-water. Clearly heavily adjuncted, but there seems to be a bit of bargain-basement harmony here. Not oversweet, and not entirely bland either, despite the general lack of malt or hops. It's thin and fizzy, and style-wise exactly what you'd expect.
For a lower-rung macro brew, it's fair enough.

Blatz Beer from Pabst Brewing Company