Olympia Beer | Pabst Brewing Company

pabstbrewingco.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-28-2002

3.85/5  rDev +42.1%

Definately the best cheap beers I've personally ever had. It' definately better than Icehouse, Natty, Beast, and other cheap ones. I've only gotten it in 12 packs, but that doesn't matter, because it's that good. It has a nice and average smell to it and average lok to it. The taste is somewhat similar to a nutty taste and a nutty finish. Goes down smooth and is light on the ole stomach. I would call it the Newcastle of cheap beers. Can you go wrong with a beer that's moto is "It's In the Water" and costs $4.50 a 12? I think not!!!!!!

3.82/5  rDev +41%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a very pale golden color with a thick foamy white head that actually stuck around. Not a lot of visible carbonation.
Smell was sweet, bready and corn like.
Taste is similar to the nose with a very light white bread flavor. There is a bit of sweetness in the flavor as well with some corn flavors.
Mouth feel is actually very light and has a somewhat wet finish in the back of the mouth.
This beer actually was leaving some lacing on my glass! I liked this one for one of those beers that would be served ice cold on a hot day. I can really see this as being quite refreshing.

3.79/5  rDev +39.9%

3.74/5  rDev +38%

I've always wanted to try Olympia Beer. When I was a kid it was my dad's second choice (along with Burgie) if he couldn't get his hands on some Brew 102, the Los Angeles-area regional favorite. I haven't seen Olympia for years, so I bought it when I saw it at my local beverage chainstore. The price was $6.99 for a 12-pack.

Appearance: The can has the vintage Olympia emblem and artwork, very retro. The beer poured a beery-yellow with an almost non-existent head.

Smell: There was hardly any smell at all, good or bad. It's probably the mildest-smelling beer on the market. At least it's not offensive.

Taste: The taste was typical macrobrew, with extra amounts of water. The finish is slightly sweet and nutty. Again, it's inoffensive.

Mouthfeel: Like I said, it's a watery beer. So the mouthfeel is a lot like drinking a glass of ice water: Refreshing, but flat. I would have preferred a higher amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Drinkable and reasonably smooth, good for a hot day or a long (six to 12 beers) drinking session.

Overall: Olympia is an OK beer at a good price.

3.65/5  rDev +34.7%

Thought this beer was no longer with us. Saw it at the sto' for about 10 bucks, felt kinda nostalgic so I bought it.
Now, I always considered this one to be middle-of-the road when it came to AAL's. It was actually one of my friend's favorite beer, I thought it was OK, but certainly not the best of it's style.
See that Pabst owns the label now.
You know what? This is pretty good for what it is. Clean, refreshing, tasty with no off-putting flavors.
I like it, and will probably buy it again, if it doesn't go extinct.

3.65/5  rDev +34.7%

Olympia is one of the first beers I drank at home, my dad's friend brought a 12 pack over, and as my dad doesn't drink beer, I helped myself to all of them over the course of a few weeks when I was an 18 year old car salesman. Obviously not a craft/microbrew beer, but Olympia is the kind of affordable beer I think (positively) of when I think American macro lager. Olympia isn't out there to be the best, but damned sure it's the averagest, and sometimes, isn't that best?

3.64/5  rDev +34.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This beer really captures the taste of the original Olympia. I'm glad it's back on the market.
Packing 11 plus carbs, it is full bodied and flavorful. Alcohol content is right up there and so I feel as though I'm being treated properly in this regard.
If the water is as pure and natural as the artisian well at Tumwater's, then I'm very happy.
Pabst has brought back an oldie-but-goodie. They know how to make excellent beer that's priced right for the every day drinker.
One might argue it has too many carbs and we're getting too big around the waist...
Oh, and I'm growing tired of reading about those folks abroad who claim that our American beer is tasteless, has too much carbon dioxide content, and is of poor quality. It just ain't so.
Pour it from a higher altitude, get rid of the gas you're complaining about and try to be more honest about the taste.

3.61/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 FLUID OUNCE can
Served in a Busch goblet

This beer pours a brilliant golden color and is topped with an inch of white head that settles quickly to a thin layer leaving little lacing.

It doesn't have a lot of aroma. It has typical sweet grain aromas albeit subtle.

It has a mild sweetness with some grain and floral hops.

Thin to moderate

This is an easy drinker. Does Pabst just can all these regional rust belt beers and slap different labels on the same beer? They all taste pretty much the same.

3.53/5  rDev +30.3%

Glass - Pint

A - Classic BMC appearance, clear yellow with ample Co2 rapidly rising to the top, and a fizzy 1-finger head that dissipates in a snap. A thin ring stuck around the top of the beer but no lacing here.

S - Typical sweet corny aroma with some other grainy notes underlying, a bit of fruity grape or apple as well. Some cracker, mild hop when swirled.

T - Mildly sweet corn & grain flavor dominate, around the middle I get a bit of soft citric hop character, it's very soft but helps balance this beer well. Finishes with just a bit more bitterness than your average for the style.

M - Moderately crisp & pretty thin feel. Goes down fast.

D - Hmm, not bad at all. Most of it is average but the taste is a little better to me, as it doesn't have an intense grainy flavor like Budweiser, and drinkability is through the roof as it should be for the style. I'd buy this again over Most other BMC brews, but competes against my favorite for the style, Schlitz! Recommended.

3.53/5  rDev +30.3%

Ahh, Olympia Beer. I remember witnessing my father's scary grizzled friends sucking back a few of these in the summers when I was a little kid. I also recall it's many appearances in the film Every Which Way But Loose. Olympia is one of those beers that you know deep down inside sucks but you keep coming back to it. Probably because your job sucks worse than Olympia and you hate your life. To me it symbolizes a simpler time in the Pacific Northwest, when little breweries like the one in pleasant Tumwater were king. I never had a chance to experience real Olympia (note: this Pabst/Miller version is not the same, I'm told), so unfortunately I'll never know if it really was indeed the water. But today, I hold a can of Olympia in my hand as a time warp back to 1977. Here we go.

It pours what all standard cheap American Lagers pour - a dense, golden color with a head that disappears almost instantly. I cannot smell too much aroma from the glass. When you smell from the can it smells like beer, cheap beer, which is exactly what it is. Go figure.

The taste has that tinny, corn-syrup taste that good bad beer is known for. It's light-bodied and crisp and there is a slight (very slight, probably tin and corn syrup) kick to it once it goes down the throat, but when it's cold and the sun is ablaze, this is the beer that I want to have. It was made for mowing the lawn on hot summer days, sitting by the pool on hot summer days, having a barbecue with loved ones on hot summer nights...there's a reoccurring theme here. Hint: think hot summer. Now think wet hot America summer and go drink some bad beer.

Overall, this is my favorite cheap American Macro Lager. I've had many sessions with it in the past and I do believe I shall have many more in the future. For the cost and the taste it's better than the big three, and it's always fun to support the little man, even if he was swallowed up by the machine decades ago.

The can is pleasing to the eye as well. Good luck! Good luck indeed.

3.48/5  rDev +28.4%

Don't know if this is 95% malt any more but they are using a can similar to it. No 95% malt label though. From a 24 ounce can labeled as "The Bigfoot" 24 oz.
Pours clear gold with a huge long lasting white head and plentiful lacing.
Smell is pungent spicey earthy hops with more than enough bready malt.
Taste is a bit too sweet for the OLY of memory but a tasty but less crisp than the beer of old. I think the older version used more of a Cascade hop flavor where this has some type of euro hop character now. More malt or malt + corn syrup than I like in a macro style beer.
Mouthfeel is medium and a slightly wet finish. Carbonation is robust or flaccid depending on how it is poured.
Over all if you want a good tasting malty macro beer for the hot weather give it a try. It was $1.79 for the 24 oz. can at a local gas station. Plus it has a shaded Bigfoot walking through the fir trees!

3.43/5  rDev +26.6%

This was a beer that I remember my Granpa drinking in California in the late 70's. It was also a cheaper and tasty alternative to BMC in my college days as well. I hadn't seen this brand around in a long time but had to buy the 12 pack for $7 when I saw it in a grocery store in Missouri recently.

The beer poured a golden yellow into my pint glass with a well carbonated 1 inch white head that left in no time flat. Minimal lacing on my glass.

Not much smell at all here which is okay for me when it comes to adjunct lagers in my book. Maybe some slight corn or tart apple perhaps.

The taste was of some corn, a hint of malt and a little lemony tart hop flavor to balance this. No nasty bitter aftertaste here, pretty smooth and clean. I like this better than BMC.

The mouthfeel was pretty watery but that helps this go down pretty easy. A good thist quencher on another miserable hot summer day. It is decent for what it is. The price is nice and it is a suitable lawnmower beer for a hot day.

3.35/5  rDev +23.6%

Had to give this oldie but goodie (maybe?) a try after seeing it's strong silver place finish at the 05 GABF.

Light straw color....initial head fades quickly...nose is sweet cooked corn, just a hint of cheapness to it....medium bodied....I expected a lighter bodied beer from it's old reputation, (or at least that's what I thought it was supposed to be like.)

Nothing offensive at all about the taste...sweet...almost sugary sweet....adjunct notes abound but there is nothing wrong with the taste.

Overall I could drink this easily after playing hockey...I think this beer could surprise some people (particularly macro drinkers with an open mind)..no bad off flavors or bad finish...nice sweeter taste....not bad at all for the style...

3.32/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Dark urine color but with a good carbonation.

Smells of steel and copper mineral. Also there is a sweetness of wheat and juicy fresh oats.

Taste like white bread and rice crackers up front. A sweetness builds but doesn't bring much flavor, just a small amount of candy sugar. There is also a hint of cream from the Malt. Ends tangy, tingly and crisp with a minor aluminum can aftertaste. The crisp carbonation makes up for the lack of hops.

Finishes both sweet and sour. A little wide one the palate.

Of all the adjunct beers, this is one of my favorites. It finishes cleaner and sharper than most. It doesn't have too much through the midsection, but this is an adjunct and that's all it is. I'm a sucker for higher carbonated beers too.

3.28/5  rDev +21%

Poured this from a what looked like a faded labeled can, into a standard pint glass. Color is the typical straw, about the same as any other light lager. Lots of carbonation bubbles floating to the top. One finger of fizzy white head that dissipated within 20 seconds.

The smell is of sweet malt, tart grape or apple and some graininess.

The taste is surprisingly clean. A little grain followed by some tartness and finishing with just a little hops.

The mouthfeel is watery through and through and the carbonation is lighter than one would expect out of a adjunct, light lager.

This beer is extremely simple, clean and refreshing. A bud has more flavor but this doesn't have anything undesirable in my opinion. It's nice, for what it is.

3.28/5  rDev +21%

I guess since I live were this used to be made, I want to give it a try.

A- The beer itself looks like a pale straw yellow, with a good amount of activity in the glass itself. The head is very white, came to about a finger and a half width and is disappearing quickly now.

S- There is a sweet clove smell coming through the beer. A good amount of grain smells, almost as if you were grinding up wheat. I'm also getting that traditional adjunct lager smell.

T- This is different from other AALs out there. This has a darker nuttier taste. The more I drink it the more I want to say corn, but its hard to tell. The taste isn't too bad for a AAL.

M- Feels like a beer, but a little thin.

D- Easy to drink for sure. I could see this being a great hot day, working hard type beer.

Olympia Beer from Pabst Brewing Company