Olympia Beer | Pabst Brewing Company

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-28-2002

View: Beers
3.93/5  rDev +51.7%

This is a great American lager. I just picked some up today as Pabst is now marketing it more widely. I remember drinking this in the 80's and it seems to have the same great taste now as it did then. I wonder where this is brewed now since Miller-Coors owns this label after buying Pabst a few years back. There should be a lager beer drinking forum because it is obvious the beer snob crowd of micro-brews will not like this no matter how good and refreshing it is. Seriously it tastes good and is on par with Budweiser, Coors banquet, Pabst, and the like. Now I'm waiting for Hamms to make a comeback. Ill buy this again, but just so you know my favorite beer for the money now is Miller High Life.

3.9/5  rDev +50.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I could get this around here, back in the day, though even then, I had to hunt it out. Better than average AAl for a decent price. I wish to find it again, hello, Pabst!

3.86/5  rDev +49%

Olympia is a classic macro beer, looks like beer, smells like beer and tastes like beer with a crisp thirst quenching satisfaction, all the key ingredients of a good American Macro. This is another one of those beer drinkers beer. It's pretty much on par with Schmidt beer which in my book is a compliment. The can says "it's the water" but Milwaukee, Wisc is not exactly Tumwater, Washington anymore, at the same time the beer does not possess a bad flavor (ie milwaukee special reserve)

3.85/5  rDev +48.6%

Definately the best cheap beers I've personally ever had. It' definately better than Icehouse, Natty, Beast, and other cheap ones. I've only gotten it in 12 packs, but that doesn't matter, because it's that good. It has a nice and average smell to it and average lok to it. The taste is somewhat similar to a nutty taste and a nutty finish. Goes down smooth and is light on the ole stomach. I would call it the Newcastle of cheap beers. Can you go wrong with a beer that's moto is "It's In the Water" and costs $4.50 a 12? I think not!!!!!!

3.82/5  rDev +47.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a very pale golden color with a thick foamy white head that actually stuck around. Not a lot of visible carbonation.
Smell was sweet, bready and corn like.
Taste is similar to the nose with a very light white bread flavor. There is a bit of sweetness in the flavor as well with some corn flavors.
Mouth feel is actually very light and has a somewhat wet finish in the back of the mouth.
This beer actually was leaving some lacing on my glass! I liked this one for one of those beers that would be served ice cold on a hot day. I can really see this as being quite refreshing.

3.79/5  rDev +46.3%

3.74/5  rDev +44.4%

I've always wanted to try Olympia Beer. When I was a kid it was my dad's second choice (along with Burgie) if he couldn't get his hands on some Brew 102, the Los Angeles-area regional favorite. I haven't seen Olympia for years, so I bought it when I saw it at my local beverage chainstore. The price was $6.99 for a 12-pack.

Appearance: The can has the vintage Olympia emblem and artwork, very retro. The beer poured a beery-yellow with an almost non-existent head.

Smell: There was hardly any smell at all, good or bad. It's probably the mildest-smelling beer on the market. At least it's not offensive.

Taste: The taste was typical macrobrew, with extra amounts of water. The finish is slightly sweet and nutty. Again, it's inoffensive.

Mouthfeel: Like I said, it's a watery beer. So the mouthfeel is a lot like drinking a glass of ice water: Refreshing, but flat. I would have preferred a higher amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Drinkable and reasonably smooth, good for a hot day or a long (six to 12 beers) drinking session.

Overall: Olympia is an OK beer at a good price.

3.65/5  rDev +40.9%

Thought this beer was no longer with us. Saw it at the sto' for about 10 bucks, felt kinda nostalgic so I bought it.
Now, I always considered this one to be middle-of-the road when it came to AAL's. It was actually one of my friend's favorite beer, I thought it was OK, but certainly not the best of it's style.
See that Pabst owns the label now.
You know what? This is pretty good for what it is. Clean, refreshing, tasty with no off-putting flavors.
I like it, and will probably buy it again, if it doesn't go extinct.

3.65/5  rDev +40.9%

Olympia is one of the first beers I drank at home, my dad's friend brought a 12 pack over, and as my dad doesn't drink beer, I helped myself to all of them over the course of a few weeks when I was an 18 year old car salesman. Obviously not a craft/microbrew beer, but Olympia is the kind of affordable beer I think (positively) of when I think American macro lager. Olympia isn't out there to be the best, but damned sure it's the averagest, and sometimes, isn't that best?

3.64/5  rDev +40.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This beer really captures the taste of the original Olympia. I'm glad it's back on the market.
Packing 11 plus carbs, it is full bodied and flavorful. Alcohol content is right up there and so I feel as though I'm being treated properly in this regard.
If the water is as pure and natural as the artisian well at Tumwater's, then I'm very happy.
Pabst has brought back an oldie-but-goodie. They know how to make excellent beer that's priced right for the every day drinker.
One might argue it has too many carbs and we're getting too big around the waist...
Oh, and I'm growing tired of reading about those folks abroad who claim that our American beer is tasteless, has too much carbon dioxide content, and is of poor quality. It just ain't so.
Pour it from a higher altitude, get rid of the gas you're complaining about and try to be more honest about the taste.

3.61/5  rDev +39.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 FLUID OUNCE can
Served in a Busch goblet

This beer pours a brilliant golden color and is topped with an inch of white head that settles quickly to a thin layer leaving little lacing.

It doesn't have a lot of aroma. It has typical sweet grain aromas albeit subtle.

It has a mild sweetness with some grain and floral hops.

Thin to moderate

This is an easy drinker. Does Pabst just can all these regional rust belt beers and slap different labels on the same beer? They all taste pretty much the same.

3.53/5  rDev +36.3%

Glass - Pint

A - Classic BMC appearance, clear yellow with ample Co2 rapidly rising to the top, and a fizzy 1-finger head that dissipates in a snap. A thin ring stuck around the top of the beer but no lacing here.

S - Typical sweet corny aroma with some other grainy notes underlying, a bit of fruity grape or apple as well. Some cracker, mild hop when swirled.

T - Mildly sweet corn & grain flavor dominate, around the middle I get a bit of soft citric hop character, it's very soft but helps balance this beer well. Finishes with just a bit more bitterness than your average for the style.

M - Moderately crisp & pretty thin feel. Goes down fast.

D - Hmm, not bad at all. Most of it is average but the taste is a little better to me, as it doesn't have an intense grainy flavor like Budweiser, and drinkability is through the roof as it should be for the style. I'd buy this again over Most other BMC brews, but competes against my favorite for the style, Schlitz! Recommended.

3.53/5  rDev +36.3%

Ahh, Olympia Beer. I remember witnessing my father's scary grizzled friends sucking back a few of these in the summers when I was a little kid. I also recall it's many appearances in the film Every Which Way But Loose. Olympia is one of those beers that you know deep down inside sucks but you keep coming back to it. Probably because your job sucks worse than Olympia and you hate your life. To me it symbolizes a simpler time in the Pacific Northwest, when little breweries like the one in pleasant Tumwater were king. I never had a chance to experience real Olympia (note: this Pabst/Miller version is not the same, I'm told), so unfortunately I'll never know if it really was indeed the water. But today, I hold a can of Olympia in my hand as a time warp back to 1977. Here we go.

It pours what all standard cheap American Lagers pour - a dense, golden color with a head that disappears almost instantly. I cannot smell too much aroma from the glass. When you smell from the can it smells like beer, cheap beer, which is exactly what it is. Go figure.

The taste has that tinny, corn-syrup taste that good bad beer is known for. It's light-bodied and crisp and there is a slight (very slight, probably tin and corn syrup) kick to it once it goes down the throat, but when it's cold and the sun is ablaze, this is the beer that I want to have. It was made for mowing the lawn on hot summer days, sitting by the pool on hot summer days, having a barbecue with loved ones on hot summer nights...there's a reoccurring theme here. Hint: think hot summer. Now think wet hot America summer and go drink some bad beer.

Overall, this is my favorite cheap American Macro Lager. I've had many sessions with it in the past and I do believe I shall have many more in the future. For the cost and the taste it's better than the big three, and it's always fun to support the little man, even if he was swallowed up by the machine decades ago.

The can is pleasing to the eye as well. Good luck! Good luck indeed.

3.48/5  rDev +34.4%

Don't know if this is 95% malt any more but they are using a can similar to it. No 95% malt label though. From a 24 ounce can labeled as "The Bigfoot" 24 oz.
Pours clear gold with a huge long lasting white head and plentiful lacing.
Smell is pungent spicey earthy hops with more than enough bready malt.
Taste is a bit too sweet for the OLY of memory but a tasty but less crisp than the beer of old. I think the older version used more of a Cascade hop flavor where this has some type of euro hop character now. More malt or malt + corn syrup than I like in a macro style beer.
Mouthfeel is medium and a slightly wet finish. Carbonation is robust or flaccid depending on how it is poured.
Over all if you want a good tasting malty macro beer for the hot weather give it a try. It was $1.79 for the 24 oz. can at a local gas station. Plus it has a shaded Bigfoot walking through the fir trees!

3.46/5  rDev +33.6%

For what it is, a cheap, drinkable lager. It's delicious compared to beers like Rainier, PBR and the like.

3.43/5  rDev +32.4%

This was a beer that I remember my Granpa drinking in California in the late 70's. It was also a cheaper and tasty alternative to BMC in my college days as well. I hadn't seen this brand around in a long time but had to buy the 12 pack for $7 when I saw it in a grocery store in Missouri recently.

The beer poured a golden yellow into my pint glass with a well carbonated 1 inch white head that left in no time flat. Minimal lacing on my glass.

Not much smell at all here which is okay for me when it comes to adjunct lagers in my book. Maybe some slight corn or tart apple perhaps.

The taste was of some corn, a hint of malt and a little lemony tart hop flavor to balance this. No nasty bitter aftertaste here, pretty smooth and clean. I like this better than BMC.

The mouthfeel was pretty watery but that helps this go down pretty easy. A good thist quencher on another miserable hot summer day. It is decent for what it is. The price is nice and it is a suitable lawnmower beer for a hot day.

Olympia Beer from Pabst Brewing Company