Big Bear Premium Malt Liquor

Added:
Oct 20, 2004
No description / notes.
View: More Beers
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.
Ratings by beergorrilla:
Rated by beergorrilla from Michigan

Feb 01, 2014
More User Ratings:
Reviewed by mparks11 from Colorado

3.54/5  rDev +45.1%
L: that big bear just pissed in this bottle but man does it look tasty

S: see above, bear urine is putrid

T: here's where the money was made, it's indescribably good. My friends Tom Jordan and Ellen couldn't stop raving about it.

F: how can something that's liquid feel like someone or something is running a belt sander over your face?

Overall, Pabst needs to sell this recipe and rights to someone with the creativity and ambition to make Big Bear relive it's past glory.
May 21, 2020

Rated: 2.5 by kurtulbricht from Wisconsin

Jul 17, 2013
Reviewed by woodychandler from Pennsylvania

1.9/5  rDev -22.1%
An empty bottle for the pic?!? This Big Bear deserves to be shown in all of his 40-oz. glory!

From the bottle: "The Superior Malt Liquor".

Today was such an all-around success that I felt compelled to celebrate. My mayoral campaign is ramping up, I made my banner for my porch today, I visited with my uncle, laundry and dishes are both done, my weekend plans are cemented and I want to drink some beer. It is just too bad that they do not put more AMLs into CANs ...

I began with two fingers of fizzy french vanilla-colored head that hung in pretty well in the face of the humidity that is helping to keep me up tonight. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity and suddenly Croesus and King Midas were back to their fighting. Knock it off! This is not worthy of your efforts! Nose smelled like a Minhas product and I do not mean that in a good way. Plastics, pink bubble gum, dry cleaning fluid were all perceived. Could it get any worse? Yes! The taste was burnt rubber and a metallic tang that made me wonder from what kind of glass the bottle was made. Whew! Finish was bone-dry and I was afraid to breathe near any open flames. Phew! I will NOT be allowing this to warm up. It might self-combust. M'man, Snoop Lion says that his jawnt "Works Every Time" and I would be willing to bet that this gem will work equally well. The best example of a really poor style. Do I now taste eau de cigarette ashtray? I knew I did not want this warming!
Jul 10, 2013
Reviewed by atr2605 from New York

2.33/5  rDev -4.5%
pours a yellow transparent color with a white head with average retention. sweet corn skunky aroma. More of the same in the taste. Pretty light body considering the abv. Fairly straight forward malt little with a bit of a funk to it. Not looking to drink this again
Dec 06, 2012

Rated: 3.5 by Gtg642 from Michigan

Sep 26, 2012

Rated: 2.5 by ADA32

Jul 14, 2012

Rated: 2 by beerhaver from Canada (ON)

May 14, 2012
Reviewed by jsisko01 from Michigan

3.2/5  rDev +31.1%
Appearance - Pours a clear dark golden color with an inch and a half thick head (probably because I poured aggressively) and it lingers for a few minutes. Leaves a frothy layer on top and has pretty nice lacing.

Smell - Citrus, grains, corn, and a little bit of funk.

Taste - A lot better than I was expecting.. Creamy with caramel, corn, grains, a little bit of spice that I can't pinpoint, and a grassy bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Love the creaminess. Medium body with mild carbonation.

Overall - This is definite a LOT better than most of the malt liquors I've tried.. So I give them props for that. Probably not something I would drink regularly though.
Feb 28, 2012
Reviewed by emerge077 from Illinois

1.73/5  rDev -29.1%
Why Pabst, why?

Pours a pale urine gold, slow rising carb trails feed into a clumpy, feeble skim on the surface. Random spotty lace, not enough to really qualify it as such though. Foam breaks, leaving a scab-like birds nest of foam floating on swill island. Transparent, dull coloration.

Smells like an old wet dishrag, minerals and soggy cereal grain.
Tastes like cream of wheat and corn starch. Odd toasty note of puffed wheat cereal.

It has a gross filmy slickness that is like glycerine, literally phlegm-like and utterly disgusting. Low carb levels makes it a chore to drink, with an astringent bite. Dumping the rest now. Nasty. A poor choice, even for a novelty 40 buy. Stay far, far away from this garbage. Calling this "crisp" or "easily drinkable" is laughable...
Feb 07, 2012
Reviewed by TMoney2591 from Illinois

2.53/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5
Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint glass.

Been a while since I tried a new malt liquor, so why not something random I found during my last visit to Kenosha? It pours a clear pale straw topped by over a finger of off-white froth. The nose comprises light hard water, light sweet flowers, and very light grass. Almost no smell going on here... The taste holds notes of corn, sour wheat, spicy hard water (I really hope that makes sense to someone other than me...), and grass. The body is a hefty light, with a moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, not much to see here. It isn't horrid, thankfully, but it's nowhere near good.
Dec 26, 2011