Old Milwaukee Non Alcoholic | Pabst Brewing Company

Old Milwaukee Non AlcoholicOld Milwaukee Non Alcoholic

Pabst Brewing Company
pabstbrewingco.com

Style: Low Alcohol Beer

Our flavorful non-alcoholic beer for those moments when you want the taste of America’ best tasting beer without the alcohol content.

Added by BrewAskew on 08-27-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast

Spotted at a local dive bar I was inclined to try something shitty...I thought it was the red label but it was the NA. Here it goes pours a pale fizzy yellow golden color with a bright white head quickly dwindling away. Aroma has a pale malt sweetness with no real hop or spice to it just simply cooked vegetables at the basic meaning. Flavor is horrid cooked corn basically the worst tasting anyting creamed corn related in liquid form I will never go NA when it comes to beer I would rather cut out alcohol than go NA. This is horrible tasting liquid, horrible rancid finish high uncomfortable carbonation light bodied fizzy beer. Sorry I usually try to enjoy these types of reviews this one just isn't enjoyable in any sense.

2.91/5  rDev +24.9%

I was D.D. tonight so I tried this NA.

It pours a clear, palest shade of yellow, with overly foamy, detergent-like head. Head lasts a surprisingly long time. It also laces the glass beautifuly. The scent at first was wet hay or grass, then rice. The problem here is it's nearly tasteless! That is, it doesn't offend, it's crisp but not "beery" no hops, no barley malt, perhaps just fermented Rice Krispies! No lingering aftertaste. Best point, you can drink all you can stand to drink!

1.36/5  rDev -41.6%

There are not many N.A. beers in a CAN remaining for me to try, if you CAN believe it. O'Doul's Amber and Old Style L.A. are the only two that I am still aware of that have not been part of The CANQuest (TM).

My pour produced two fingers' worth of rocky, bone-white head with moderate retention. Color was a pale straw-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a foul rankness, like rotting vegetable matter. No kidding, it would have gagged a maggot! Ooof. The mouthfeel was thin, kind of watery and the taste remninded me of Wheaties, albeit fermented. Not a pleasant taste. The underside of the CAN read "SEP 27 2010" so freshness was not a factor in this gag-a-thon. Finish left me with buyer's/drinker's remorse and not much beyond that. I believe that this was my seventh or eighth N.A. beer on The CANQuest (TM) and it was hands-down the worst!

1.46/5  rDev -37.3%

Quite possibly the worst "beer" I've had ever. Drank straight from a 12 oz can.

Appearance - Your basic American lager, yellow and fizzy.

Smell - Had an odd bread like scent, no detectable hops.

Taste - Awful, absolutely awful. It was the taste you get when your eating Wonder Bread and it gets stuck to the roof of your mouth.

Mouthfeel - Very watery

Drinkability - You have to be kidding me, why would anyone even finish this one?

1.8/5  rDev -22.7%

A: Yellow urine color, excessive carbonation, bubbles never leave the bottom of the glass, the foamy head is poor and handicapped;

S: Very sweet, corn syrup;

T: Corn with little malt;

M: Watery, fizzy and sweet, no body;

D: Very good only if you have to drive cars.

2.94/5  rDev +26.2%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. Pours a deep straw/light golden in color with a half inch of head. Brief retention given the large bubbles but does offer some regeneration if needed.

Smell is odd, mostly of condensed cooked vegetables and grains and with a metallic shallowness.

Fights its way back in the flavor department. Touch of cereal texture and with a light sweetness that isn't nearly as overpowering as some of the style. Feel and drinkability are good as well, more akin to a Bud Light than an N/A.

Aside from the smell, this brew drinks OK. Just leave it in the can.

2.21/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance: Pours up a clear, light yellow body with a thin, fizzy, white head.

Smell: Whew! This is about as faint as you can get in terms of sweetish malts, friends. And that's all she wrote on the nose.

Taste: Just a mere hint of light pale malts with maybe, say, maybe a whisper of premeditated sweetness. Extremely fleeting hop character and almost nil bitterness. Very empty, very quick finish. Where some beers ride out layers upon layers of flavors on the palette, this "beer" is up and out in mere milliseconds.

Mouthfeel: Exceedingly thin-bodied. Medium carbonation. Watery mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Hard to adequately critique as there was hardly anything there. Sure, there's almost no alcohol, but there's almost no resemblance to actual beer, so I don't really understand the appeal.

2.54/5  rDev +9%

Again, another review of a non-alcoholic beer.

Pours a light golden color with a one-finger head into my glass. Seems normal.

Aroma is sweet and full of corn/grain. Not much to write home about so far.

Taste is light and smooth with a good amount of sweetness and graininess to it. Taste in the middle is surprisingly inoffensive and has a dab of bitterness.

Mouthfeel is grainy, sweet and the bitterness even sticks around a bit.

Not bad. Actually drinkable. Inoffensive. Kind of like Old Milwaukee, but with less alcohol.

2.4/5  rDev +3%

My best friends girlfriend is pregnant, and she wanted a beer. So, I went to the store and bought a 12er of OM NA for about $8. I figured since I was buying, I would sample one.

A: Very clear yellow. Looks like a regular beer

S: Non-existent. I can smell pretty much only water, and the very faintest hint of malt

T: Water with, once again, a small hint of malt. This beer is kind of funny, though, it seems like the more I drink, the thirstier I become, and the more I salivate. I wonder why?

M: Like water

D: Very high. Since it tastes like water, its like drinking water, and water is always refreshing.

This is the only NA I've ever had. It's not bad, but I'll stick to regular beer

3.73/5  rDev +60.1%

With a big old "OM" on the side of the can, I'm already whisked off into a trance. How could I pass this up?

This one is a washed-out gold with a brown tint to it. There is a furious torrent of bubbles streaming up from an imperfection in the bottom of my pint that sustains a frothy eggshell head. This leaves clumps of thin lace up and down my glass. Looks rather nice actually.

Smells of fresh wort, much like grape nuts, with a pasty white flower to boot. There's a slight floral character that helps hide a faint raw sugar sweetness.

Tastes quite similar with the raw grains, but now there's a crisp snap to it consisting of celery and birch bark that suggests a pilsner, but most of this dryness seems to taste more like CO2 than an actual hop variety. Either way, this makes me feel like I'm drinking a soda and not a beer.

Feels very light and exceptionally clean with a rough explosion of soapy bubbles that rise and fall instantaneously.

Not a bad beer for when you want a beer, but don't want the alcohol. A really easy drinker. I look forward to my other 5 cans.

2.53/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

As a whole no matter how close to a nonalcoholic beer resembles an alcoholic beer people are going to be hard on it when they rate it.

Appearance- Average looking for an N/A American Pilsner. It has a gold color and lots of fizz that comes to form an average one finger and some change white head.

Smell- Crisp but for the most part bland.

Taste- This tastes of cheap hops and mass produced adjunct flavor. On the other hand it does taste like beer. Cheap but close to real beer all the same.

Mouthfeel- Watery and a lot of fizz bite.

Drinkability- Alright when you are craving a beer but aren’t aloud to have alcohol.

1.85/5  rDev -20.6%

Never thought I'd drink a non-alcoholic beer, not to mention review one, but after browsing through the website and stumbling acrossed it, it reminded me of when I drank one of my roomates old milwaukee n-a when he was on his little kick of drinking it quite frequently, so I figure if its on here, why not.

To me it really seemed like something was missing, obviously that would be alcohol, and anything that happens in the fermentation process. It tasted grassy. Plant-like and green. It didnt seem to taste like hops, but maybe that was the flavor, and I'm just not used to tasting hops before theyve been turned into real beer. But anyways, it actually wasnt an awful of an experience as I thought it would be, its not a good flavorful drink, but its not terrible either. Grassy, not-quite-done, watery. That pretty much rounds things up.

2.14/5  rDev -8.2%

Old Milwaukee NA pours a crystal-clear and very light straw-gold body beneath a finger-thick head of frothy bright-white foam. The head retention is fair, and it even leaves some partial walls of tiny, sticky spots at the beginning of the glass. The aroma offers a bit of harshness, which is odd for a light beer or non-alcoholic, and it seems almost like a note of acetone... perhaps it's from high fermentation temperatures. It's light bodied and gently crisp in the mouth. The flavor displays a nice malt base, but again has some odd character beneath it. The only hops present are way in the background; and it's not particularly bitter, either, but still balanced. It leaves the mouth dry, and borderline astringent, with a dull, residual note of cereal.

2.38/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured a very pale yellow with large white chunky head, that rapidly dissapeared.
Smell is sweet and notable for unfermented malt.
Taste is also typical of non-alcoholic beers, being very light and on the sweet side.
Exrtremely thin mouthfeel.
Drinkable, but there are better ones out there.

2.5/5  rDev +7.3%

Old Milwaukee NA pours a very light straw color with a thick fluffy white head. Smells like vegetables and maybe rice, it's kind of musty smelling. Very light flavor, sparkling carbonation. A little sweet, a very watered down beer flavor. Some metallic flavors. Doesn't taste as heinous as I had imagined. If you can't drink beer, I guess this is a reasonable alternative.

2.22/5  rDev -4.7%

A: It is a beautiful clear blonde with a light fluffy head and carbonation on the glass.

S: The smell is your typical macro with cereal adjunctness ringing through.

T: The taste is very slight. It is so light that it is almost not there. I could pull any random light lager off the shelf and it would have more flavor than this. A hint of cereal malts, that is it.

D: The drinkability is good, but since it is NA does it have a point?

M: The mouthfeel is thinner than water.

2.82/5  rDev +21%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a slightly pale, brilliantly clear yellow with a nice, frothy white head. Aroma was clear malt with some corn--pretty decent, actually. Flavor was not quite as clean; some corn there too but otherwise not bad. Body and mouthfeel were on the flat, lifeless side. Drinkability was quite good for the style.

One of the better, more drinkable N/A beers. This is the one I buy when I want to drink a bunch of them over a long period of time. As a bonus, it's pretty cheap.

1.3/5  rDev -44.2%

Beer for a select consumers, very very low in alcohol, well that say the brewer, is down in the light beer segment, a beer for womens too, good for mexican and american food, smell like a cheaper beer, smell too, mouthfeel a little of hops and malt, drinkability not recommendable.

3.58/5  rDev +53.6%

I haven't had a whole lot of NA's so I tried to keep the style and characteristics in mind when reviewing this beer. It pours a very light caramel color and has a surprising nice head that doens't recede much at all and has moderate carbonation. You wouldn't know it's a NA based on the smell. Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated and is a little sweet. Taste is only average and again I tried to keep the style in mind. Low alcohol is gonna have less taste. Clausthaler and Kaliber are exceptions. Overall I think I this a pretty good beer for a NA. You won't ever get a buzz from this stuff, but it's nice to have once in a great while.

1.03/5  rDev -55.8%

Pale yellow, completely clear, with an unstable white head. This brew is highly carbonated and lowly flavored. It’s watery, thin, and tasteless. There may be a hint of grain, but no notable presence of hops or malt. Tinny, almost metallic off-taste. Since my wife started buying NA beer (from time to time), my tolerance for them has increased. This one, however, has got to be the worst example of the style. There is no joy in drinking this brew.

2.95/5  rDev +26.6%

This beer had a far larger head than I was expecting, and it was a clear golden yellow color. It didn't have an especially strong aroma, but smelled a little sweet, not very hoppy. I really didn't think it had much of a taste, just a small hint of malt, otherwise it was like yellow carbonated water, for the most part. As for mouthfeel, it was alright, slightly carbonated, really felt fairly similar to water in my opinion. It's a very drinkable beer, it certainly goes down smoothly, but there are definetly better non-alcoholic beers out there. If you wanted to drink beer but had to drive somewhere, this might be a decent choice.

Appearance: Medium golden color with a small white head, modest lacing, and moderate carbonation.

Aroma: Pleasant, slightly sweet malt aroma, with very little hop presence.

Taste: Slightly sweet malt characteristic, quite similar to unfermented wort, this being familiar as I have consumed wort samples after taking specific gravity tests at the start of fermentation. There is only a faint hop presence at the finish.

Mouth feel: Decent and relatively full, with mild carbonation, overall, pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: Not a bad choice wherever beer consumption is inappropriate, however, there are better non-alcoholic beers to be had. Might be a good choice if you want to drink beer while working outside on a hot summer day, but avoid the "buzz". It is certainly more refreshing than a soft drink.

3.2/5  rDev +37.3%

The only NA I've had before this was Sharps. Once. Never did the NA thing again until BA reviews encouraged me to try this. OM is bad. Really bad. Almost Beast.

Reason why to try besides BA reviews? When travelling to Pitt, on Friday late night, there is noplace to stop for ANY beer other than going to a bar and getting a 6 of Rock for $9!!! Package prices? No way. Next best thing, a 24 hour grocery store with a 6 of OM NA in the POP aisle for 3.39

How can I review this? Should I compare it to low-end beers, or compare it to pop? One of the previous reviews said this was acceptable compared to ginger ale when you are the dezzy driver. I've got to agree.

Average beer look, with average beer scent with average beer mouthfeel. That's what NA's are supposed to be. Fake beer.

Taste? Sweet, with plenty of grainy-adjunct flavors,and when finishing, resembles a beverage that I like to drink called BEER. I remember Sharps being sweet like OM NA but the difference was Sharps after a few sips, made me want to toss it out. OM scores on the drinkability category because I drank another and another and when really cold, tasted good enough to fool me. Of course, you have to like cheap beers like PBR and Busch and Falls City to appreciate it because it's like a cheapy, but when I go to Pitt late night, I'm going to get it again. Then on Sat I'm going to buy REAL BEER from a distributer.

2.35/5  rDev +0.9%

This is not a bad example of non alcoholic beer. Although this brew is fairly typical of the American pale lager style, that is not to say that it does not look and taste any worse than the average of that style. As expected, this has a pale gold body with a white head that is minimal and quickly receding. Still, the lace effect from the residual is not bad. The aroma is mostly malt with only a small adjunct sense and the taste is of a sweet malt base. A bit thin and overly carbonated on feel. Limited drinkability due mainly to lack of any strong taste qualities.

2.37/5  rDev +1.7%

This near beer pours a light golden colour, little head but has some serious glass cling,,the body is light/medium and the aroma is very crisp and clean..The taste is a little sweet but not over powering..
This NA is a nice alternative to gingerale on a night out with the keys in your pocket..

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast