Olympia 95% Malt | Pabst Brewing Company

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by MNJR on 03-18-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast

3.28/5  rDev -2.4%

We all just want cheap beer sometimes. Surprisingly, with Olympia it's like you're not even on a budget. It really isn't that bad of a beer. I mean, you know what you're getting into, but you don't have to cringe every time you take a sip. It's a great alternative to the major American adjunct beers.

2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

Drove 35 miles to get this stuff and was it worth it! By far the best American Macro it really needs to be more available.

A-Looks like a good old fashioned Lager
S- Some grains and sweet malts very nice nose for the style
T- Awesome, bready malty goodness as noted in other reviews no off taste whatsoever, this is far better tasting than even PBR or Schlitz
M- Creamy, grainy and smooth taste doesnt last linger to long but thus stuff is the goods.

Find this beer and drink it, you will be suprised how good it is. My new favorite Macro!!!

2.5/5  rDev -25.6%

4.5/5  rDev +33.9%

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

3.38/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Jamming to Funkadelic's "Freak of the Week" at Millie's, Oly cans for cheap, why the hell not?

Can dated MAR 12 12 on the bottom, so it's in code.

Appears a light shade of gold, fizzy white foam that later ends up as a feeble skim, but the head does last longer than usual for an AAL. Rapid carb trails visible.

Smells grainy and dry, some vague apple, maybe from the yeast.
Tastes malty, mild white bread and apple flavors, crisp and fairly quenching. Light bodied, no discernible off flavors. Not bad for what it is really, a simple utilitarian lager. Simplicity is underrated these days, there's a time and a place for a beer like this.

1.5/5  rDev -55.4%

3.77/5  rDev +12.2%

A- Aggressive pour leaves a three inch tall off-white head on a medium golden/light amber bodied beer. Well above average head retention for the style...spotty lacing.

S- Smells of grain and lemon zest perhaps. Kind of weak.

T- More cereal malts but no off-putting flavors like you find in nearly every adjunct lager, very nice.

M- Crisp, medium mouthfeel. Medium carbonation.

D/O- After being warned numerous times how awful this beer was I didn't find it half bad. Absolutely love the can graphic. Very drinkable, would drink again is the moment called for it. Thanks fdkayti for bringing this little gem back from Montana for me!

3.36/5  rDev 0%

12oz can poured into a pint.

Note, this is micategorized, its not malt liquor, its an AAL.

A- A crystal clear golden yellow, topped with a nice thick relatively dense 3 finger head that is slow do dissipate. Some lacing.

S- Benign nose, mostly sweet cereal malt. No yeasty funk.

T- Nice clean crisp cereal malt sweetness, with a tiny bitter kick at the end. To say there was a hop profile would be a lie though. There's something there though.

M- Very drinkable, well carbonated but a very light body.

O- Very drinkable. This is an improvement over the Oly of old that had a peculiar nutty flavor. Has decent taste and a light body. A quality sessionable lager with proper flavor and a body that doesn't feel too light, nor too heavy.

3.36/5  rDev 0%

This just showed up in town, best by date on the bottom of the can...Jan 2, 2012.

It pours a hazy orange yellow with a pretty impressive head of foam that seems to have some real staying power. Holy cow, the lacing is outstanding!

The smell is pretty much the usual for malt liquors and American adjunct lagers. Light bitterness, light sweetness, corny, grainy.

The taste is kind of earthy; nondescript bitterness, not much sweetness at all, more of a grainy flavour with, surprisingly, very little character of the corn persuasion. Much better than the Olympia that's been around locally for the past whatever years, but still isn't anything that approaches the heights of say, a Narragansett or a Schlitz Gusto. Still, it's a good effort and for the price, I think I can live with buying some more.

3.81/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours a deep yellow - almost gold. Huge head on this and I needed two pours to get all 12ozs into a pint glass. Smells like most all other AALs - grassy and sweet.

First taste was a very pleasant surprise. Nice and malty with full body and a nice clean finish. No skunk, no beechwood flavor, none of the other adverse aspects of your typical AAL. I actually enjoyed this one quite a bit, and am looking forward to drinking the rest of the affordable 12 pack over the next couple days.

3.68/5  rDev +9.5%

$4.80 for a 12-pack at a local ghetto liquor joint...you have to be joking me, this is too good of a deal to pass up.

Clear, deep gold with a seriously impressive head of white, creaminess...hmm.

95% is close to 100% malt and this certainly tastes like it. Clean, with a definite cereal note and a mild general hoppiness to boot.

Better than some of the American craft Blonde Ales out there and a hell of an improvement over most of the American Adjunct Lagers. This just beat out PBR and Schlitz Gusto as the go-to cheap AAL.

Note: This beer was reviewed to style with the price point in mind.

Just tried this tonight.

Pours almost orange-yellow

Sweet taste, not bad, and very smooth.

Smells nice and Clean, and improvement over regular Olympia.

Overall, not bad for the price. A lot better than other beers more expensive (You know who you are.)

I noticed they removed the word "Tumwater" on the packaging. Someone told me this is the "NEW" Olympia, and they are not making the old. I got a few cans of the old if somebody wants one for their collection..

3.54/5  rDev +5.4%

Another CAN from Chaz who deserves a nice return package from me for the gem that he shipped out! Someone recently inquired as to whether I am holding on to my spent CANs and the answer is generally "No" with some exceptions, especially those with cool graphics, like this one.

I have a distinct fondness for Oly, dating back to the mid-1980's when I was a young, (usually) broke punk sailor who loved to frequent Annie Newsome's El 'n' Gee Club in New London, CT. The best night was Oly Night, when CANs were on the cheap, the music was loud and I was having a rockin' good time. I know that it is no longer brewed in Tumwater (I spent a lot of time staring at the label back inna day), but the mere logo speaks volumes to me. I like that they are willing to tweak the recipe to bring something even slightly different to the table. Yeah, I could be a smartass about what CANstitutes the other 5%, but its Oly and it gets a pass from this aging rocker. Anybody know what became of Circe? Was that The Reducers that just took the stage?!?

A nice example of the Crack & Glug resulted in two-plus fingers of thick, rocky bone-white head that held in like a champ, finally falling into nothingness. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Dang, I wish that I had poured this into a schooner glass, as was the standard. I may have been hallucinating, but I could have sworn that I smelled Saaz hops on the nose. Hey, it's my story and I'm sticking with it. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was maltier than many AALs to which I have subjected myself, but it was not completely unadulterated, either. I got some cereal flavors in there, but still ... better than the standard. Finish was semi-dry, not sweet at all as that grain bill might suggest. The lacing was phenomenal for the style. I would put some in the cooler for both nostalgia purposes as well as the aesthetics of a cool looking CAN.

3.21/5  rDev -4.5%

My brother likes good beer, but he also likes cheap stuff too (so do I from time to time) so when he came over last night, I went beer shopping, and picked this up for $6 for 12, 50 cents a can!

95% malt, I guess that leaves 5% rice?

Here goes, pours a bright yellow color with a very nice big white head, I see some lacing too. This actually looks good!

Aromas are about non existent. I smell maybe some sugars and minerals, but nothing else. Not bad though.

Taste is much like the nose, hard to find. Taste is pretty clean, some bready flavors, light spice, and a crisp mineral like finish.

Mouthfeel is not bad, fairly full, with good body, smooth too.

Overall, a pretty decent adjunct lager. It lacks aromas and a lot of flavor, but it's refreshing and thirst quenching.

2.47/5  rDev -26.5%

This is a totally average beer in almost every way: which is to say, it's better than many macro lagers and some of it's liquor store neighbors but just as easy to swig.

I have to comment on the design. The can is awesome. Classic gold, black and pumpkin orange with a nice layout of river rapids, a giant horseshoe for luck and iconic northwestern evergeens in the back. One of the best can designs out there, which is what got my attention in the first place.

The color is surprisingly impressive, it's a nice bright amber orange with a big fluffy head that drops fast. It looks much better than its piss-colored competitors it shares a shelf with.

BTW, it was $7.99 for 12.

The smell is pretty blah. Slight sugary maltiness, but really it smells just like every other cheap beer Pabst owns, which is to say, it's like walking into an old barn full of hay. Cereal. Actually the scent gets slightly more malty as it warms (it's 95 degrees right now and I don't have the A/C on) but just barely. The scent has a hint of the heavy, sweet air that surrounds the AB brewery in my little town. But even half a mile away, the Bud plant exhaust is more interesting than this.

For all its great color there is not a lot of flavor here. It tastes just like it smells. It's very thin and watery, more than I expected from the flavor present. The sweetness lingers on the tongue. It's not as crisp as say Budweiser or Pabst, but I could chug 12 of these just as easily.

I'm glad to see a classic every-man's beer like this coming back; even though it's not exactly a standout, it's still something different for folks like me who can't afford to pay $6/six pack or $12/twelve pack. I could easily confuse this with Stag except Olympia's a bit thinner. It's like a cheaper, slightly watered-down Michelob; not bad at all and more interesting than most other Pabst productions.

3.35/5  rDev -0.3%

I had only heard mentions of Olympia, usually referring to the past. So I go to my little corner store tonight, and there it is, Olympia; since I had never even seen it before, the colors didn't throw me off. I grab a 12pack for $8.99 and start chatting with the owner of the store. "Oh yeah," he says, "Oly, we used to sell hundreds of cases of this a week back in the day." He said that back in the 70s, Olympia decided to just stop marketing altogether, to avoid trying to compete with Budweiser. But anyways, on to the beer. For the price, this is a decent beer, nothing special but not terrible either. Its basically a much better Budweiser, Coors or MGD and at a much better price considering that it doesn't have to pay for advertising.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast