National Bohemian Beer | Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Brewing Company
pabstbrewingco.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-01-2003

National Bohemian is what I think about when I think about Maryland. I lived in North Beach, MD for a while. I had never ever heard of this beer before (and never seen it anywhere else since). It is a very regional beer.
Basically this beer is no different than Pabst, Stroh's, Original Schlitz or any other light bodied American beer. It's really unremarkable. It's clean and crisp. You can drink 25 of them easy if they are cold. But this beer is so very regional and so hard to find anywhere else (or even anyone who has heard of it) that it goes with the occasion. This is a memory beer so to speak.

If you ever find yourself in Maryland, you must have this with a steamer. This beer goes perfectly with crabs. When I think about Maryland, I think about National Bohemian and Old Bay malt vinegar French fries....

Maryland, crabs, Redskins games and National Bohemian... Great times.

A Baltimore classic. Amy Kanooski.

If you have lived or even been to Baltimore in the last few decades you have heard of Natty Boh. Unfortunately it is not made here any more, but the tradition and pride of this beer lives on. No matter who you ask in Maryland, they will tell you that Boh is a go to choice for good times when wallets are tight or not.Cheap has nothing to do with the love for this beer, (although it helps), it is the tradition. Long live Natty Boh and the memories it has made!

This is Baltimore baby! Crabs and Boh, it doesn't get much better.

4.75/5  rDev +61%

4.6/5  rDev +55.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.58/5  rDev +55.3%

For all of the AAL`S Iv`e tried, I like this one the best! I`m not going to get technical in describing characteristics and so forth, no need to. I love how satisfying, and crisp and quenching this beer is! Nuff said!!!

4.47/5  rDev +51.5%

I love the Boh, plain and simple! Natty Boh, please don't go, I'll drive to and fro, so you can go, into my stomach below! A wonderful beverage from America's past that has surpassed potential extinction and emerged unscathed to "The Bright Side."

4.28/5  rDev +45.1%

"From the Land of Pleasant Living."

Natty Boh is one of my all time favorites.

True, it does taste "light", but after all that is on the can..."patiently aged to a smooth, light, superior taste.

light golden pour, sweet corn smell, crisp and smooth with noticeable carbonation

The best part about it; Affordable.
$5.99 for a 12 pack

4.25/5  rDev +44.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Blind buy, and glad I did. I can't add anything to what's already been detailed but know that it's a straightforward, no-nonsense old style beer and if that's what you're looking for, it'll satisfy. Tastes like you'd expect but a bit better than most big names do (at least to my limited palate). Best of all, it's the closest thing I've found out here on the east coast to my favorite, the St. Louis area's Stag...both are simple, clean, unpretentious and very satisfying. NB tastes uncannily close to Stag, which probably figures since both are now ultimately Pabst products. Could be the same dang beer for all I know, or care. Anyway, I like NB and will be buying it again.

4.25/5  rDev +44.1%

4.16/5  rDev +41%

There is no better light beer than the Maryland classic.

4.04/5  rDev +36.9%

Poured this Baltimore legend from a can into a regular pint glass. I'm a generation removed from Baltimore, so I can at least claim a little nostalgic place for Mr. Boh. By the way, this is graded to style.

A - Straw/blonde color. A little bubbly, but light head retention and thin-looking. Considering this is an adjunct lager, it looks like it should.

S - Yeast, a little sweet in the nose. A pleasant smell for this type of lager

T - Light malts, some adjunct (corn perhaps?). Very mild and pleasant flavors, though with just a tinge of bitterness in the finish (which is actually quite nice).

M - Thin-bodied and refreshing. Carbonation level is fine and a pleasant aftertaste.

O - For what it is, Natty Boh is one of my favorite cheap adjuncts. It's refreshing and doesn't have any off flavors to it. As long as you keep the style in mind, Natty Boh is definitely worth your time. Too bad I can't get it in VA (though MD is a short drive), but Natty Boh will be my go-to when I want a lawnmower beer.

National Bohemian Beer from Pabst Brewing Company