National Bohemian Beer | Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Brewing Company
pabstbrewingco.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-01-2003

A classic. A necessity for anyone visiting downtown Baltimore for the first time. Cannot beat Natty Boh when you are looking for a satisfying, cheap beer in Maryland. While it will not please those who strictly drink craft beers, I will take a Natty Boh over any other similar Macrolager any day of the week.

3.96/5  rDev +34.2%

3.9/5  rDev +32.2%

On-tap in the Charm City. Who am I to resist. At John Stevens Ltd. to be exact.

A: Pale and fizzy, it's nothing to get excited about. The lager is translucent, nearly clear.

S: The nose is nondescript, adjuncty and sweet. Enough corn-like aromas to keep me around.

T: For an adjunct lager, this one is pretty damned good. Smooth and mild tasting, corn and pale malts do a nice job. Hops are mild, as are most aspects of the beer. Despite the mildness, I'd belly up to another pint or two, especially on an overly warm winter day like today. The finish, like the rest of the beer, lacks a redeeming characteristic, but I'm not disappointed at all.

M: A sweet flavor lingers throughout. It's not craft but it'll do.

D: On tap. In Baltimore. What more do I need? Oh yeah, happy hour pricing. A nice way to end the Belgian Beer day.

3.88/5  rDev +31.5%

National Bohemian has a thick, white head and a very clear, golden color. Aroma is what one expects from American-style adjunct lager- that beer smell. Also, it is highly carbonated. Taste is delightful, with a nice hop balance that is somewhat higher than others of its ilk. Mouth-feel is light and watery, and Natty Boh finishes crisp and refreshing. For fans of regular beer, this will be a real treat. I loved it. It is NOT sold in Louisiana.

RJT

3.88/5  rDev +31.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I got 4 cans from the generous RA. Thanks dude!

Best before March 2, 2015 on the bottom of the can.

It pours the crystal clearest of pale gold with what ends up being a fine broken layer of foam.

There's sweetish malt and grain in the smell with a hit of a bitter note or 2.

The taste is sweetish malt, corn/grain/ with a hint of a bitter note or 2. :^)

Almost at the US defined Session Beer at 4.6%, I'd take this over the few other AALs that linger in the stores around town that include BMC(old name of course) and non BMC.

3.86/5  rDev +30.8%

3.84/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

good old boh! so many great memories were made with this beer which may be the reason for my higher rating. I still say the best way to enjoy natty boh is poured into a plastic cup at an o's game on a mid summer night...although it will cost you $8. well worth it in my opinion!

3.82/5  rDev +29.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance, yeah it looks great in the can - no way am I pouring this into a glass! Smells very clean, a bit of hops and carbonic acid and maybe the slightest impression of malt, but it does smell a tad sugary. Starts off wanting to have a taste, then there is a bit of a hop bite in the middle before the (mostly clean) stinging carbonic finish. Doesn't sound too appetizing, but for the category it's a winner.

3.8/5  rDev +28.8%

Eventhough my address says that I am south of the Mason Dixon line, I did grow up with Mr. Boh and his cohorts. Actually half of my immediate family was employed by the National Brewery so I awoke many of Christmas' and opened Mr. Boh memorabilia. Man if I knew what I know now. So for the review.
Just poured a 12 oz can into a pint glass, but drink from the can if you have the choice.
A: straw color with little to limited head retention, tight bubbles around rim of glass.
S: Cidery smell like all macro brews
T: Bitter but light feel in mouth
M: Carbonation, can feel the bubbles going down the throat
D: very easy to drink, good balance. Finished 12oz in 3 seconds one time, well many times!

3.8/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A - Typical of any US macro brew. Pale transparent yellow with a small quickly disapating 2 inch snow white head. Moderate carbonation. Barely any lacing whatsoever.

S - Practically non-existant. I smell a hint of hops, and some cereal.

T - Better than just about any other US Macro beer. It has a traditional taste with a little bit more bite. All I can say is that this beer has character.

M - Clean, crisp, and dry. Little to no aftertase.

D - Amazaing drinkablity. In fact, in a baltimore local pub setting, I don't think I would ever choose anything else.

I'll be honest, granting you, the reader, full disclosure. I wasn't going to do an ASTMD review of this beer. However, I changed my mind because I didn't want to appear to be too biased. Do you want me to be honest though? I am biased. With this beer, I loose my objectivity and I think back to experiences around fell's point, and the west side of Baltimore. This brew has history on its side, and regardless of where you stand, I'm in Mr. Bo's corner.

3.78/5  rDev +28.1%

This isn't the best beer for most places, but at a baseball game - especially at Camden Yards - this is THE beer to drink. It's a perfect "pale beer" and very refreshing with little to no aftertaste and really hits the spot on a hot afternoon. This is what the other yellow water beers should try to be.

3.75/5  rDev +27.1%

Presentation: 12 oz, chilled brown bottle. Mr. Boh is on the label, but it also gives some mention to the ingredients. No freshness dating. Although it says that it was first brewed in 1885, I’ve heard rumors that this is only a pale imitation of the original, that Pabst changed the recipe, and that the old recipe is now owned by Clipper City, one day to emerge from the ashes like a Phoenix… but I digress.

Appearance: A hard pour is needed to rustle up a head on the clear bright yellow brew. Reduces to a nice collar and spotty lacing.

Smell: Light sweet malts with the bottled version.

Taste: Mostly malts, with just a bit of grainy and hop bitterness flavors at the end. Still finishes a bit dry, but still with some lingering sweetness.

Drinkability: Medium bodied, smooth and quick.

Say it is August. It is 100+ degrees outside, sunny, and 100% humid. You've spent a big mass of money on a bushel of crabs, your family is coming over, and you need something to drink that won't overpower, but will still give them what they want. Yes, Mr. Moneybags, you could fill them up with Prima Pils, but the Old Bay will pimp slap the delicate hop oils without even trying. You go and get yourself an insanely cheap case or two of Natty Boh.

This is your perfect beer to enjoy whilst tailgating and/or eating bushels of crabs. I’ve seen a lot of negative reviews. However, most appear to come from the rancid can version and not from the fine, fresh bottled versions around. For the price ($3-4 a sixer retail and as low as $1.25 at some local bars) you can’t really beat it. This is my go to brew when stuck somewhere with nothing but macros or questionable taps, which happen to be too many of the bars in the area. I’ll try to throw this one in with the next few BIFs to get some non-regional love. Boh's day is coming. If people will give mad props to PBR, they will surely fall under Mr. Boh's mystique.

National Bohemian Beer from Pabst Brewing Company