National Bohemian Beer | Pabst Brewing Company

pabstbrewingco.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-01-2003

3.72/5  rDev +26.1%

Feeling generous with the rating but it deserves it. I hate the city of Baltimore and their Criminal football team but "oh boy what a beer." I love me a cheap light novelty beer, and I always drink natty bo from 16 oz pounder cans. Ratings are earned through finesse rather than impress. You get what you pay for for, excellent sip to sip value. No bs here this is a smooth beer that is refreshing on a hot day or after work. Goes great with some Maryland blue crab.

3.69/5  rDev +25.1%

A-poured into a frozen pilsner glass-its straw yellow, a few shades darker than water with a fizzy white head that dissipates immediately

S-typical generic "beer" nose, kind of musty and malty

T-It is slightly sweet from the malt with a nice crisp finish, with just a hint of hops. It doesn't have that thick huskiness to it like PBR which causes it to have less taste but it seems more crisp and clean, which I enjoyed. For an AAL I thought this tasted good and was very refreshing.

M-Thin and watery but it has a nice carbonated crispness to it.

D-I could drink this all day, its crisp and clean and for the style its pretty good.

Overall, this is one of my favorite versions of the style, which is why I gave it a 4 in the overall category even though my ratings would suggest otherwise. Its not as good as Schlitz Gusto, but to me it is more enjoyable than most of the others in the category. Its also cheap, which is nice.

3.65/5  rDev +23.7%

Review #300. This Natty Boh beer is special to me as I usually have it before the Orioles baseball game where they sell tall cans cheap - ~$2 to $3. Good times. National Bohemian has a thick, white head and a very clear golden appearance. Carbonation is high. Aroma is faint, but what one would expect from an American-style adjunct lager- that beer smell. Taste is delightful, with a nice hop balance; hop character is a bit more pronounced than others in this style category. Mouth-feel is light and watery. Natty Boh finishes crisp and refreshing. Overall, this is a very enjoyable beer and I usually reserve it for pre-baseball tailgating in Baltimore. Natty-Boh, baby!

3.64/5  rDev +23.4%

I heard someone talking about Natty Bo, and I wasn't sure what it was until my roommate brought some of this stuff back from Annapolis - apparently it's a big Maryland beer. The can is awesome - "From the Land of Pleasant Living" with a one-eyed face that resembles the Pringles guy. Served chilled in a pilsner glass, it pours a very light gold with few streams of carbonation and a 2 finger white head that leaves little lacing. Smells very clean with grains, a touch of fruits, hops (floral?), and a hint of metal. Taste delivers about the same with a medium/light tingly body. Overall, way better than other macro beers and just as drinkable, if not more so, for the same price.

3.63/5  rDev +23.1%

12 oz can poured into pint glass

A: Pours a pale straw yellow, with a large amount of white foam that dissipates quickly with no lacing

S: Some malt, corn, alcohol, and a kind of mineral smell

T: Malt and corn. No real hop presence. Good for a macro lager, but not an amazing beer

M: Very carbonated and light. Rather refreshing

D: This is very light, drinkable and refreshing. Its not the best tasting beer, but you can drink quite a few of these with no problems.

Overall, this is my favorite macro lager, probably cuz I grew up in Baltimore, and still live there, so its iconic of home. I prefer almost any craft offering over this, but as far as macros go, this is my go to beer.

3.63/5  rDev +23.1%

Poured from 12 oz can at Boxcar Bar + Arcade in Raleigh

First time I have ever tried Natty Boh. Flavor, appearance, and aroma are all standard for an American Style Lager. Highly enjoyable for what it is. Glad to finally add it to my list of beers tasted.

3.54/5  rDev +20%

Thanks 302BeerGuy (Kev)!

Appearance (3.5) : pours a pale straw color with a decent amount of head.

Aroma : (3.25) Nail polish remover, barley heads, grain, oily hop. Some faint fermented fruit notes as well.

Taste : (3.75) Super refreshing. The malted grain notes come out immediately and ends with a slightly hopped bite. The nail polish remover (alcohol) is in the taste somewhat, but much much less than the nose. After awhile I realize this tastes so much like Pabst but with less dirt/earth and more nail polish.

Mouthfeel (3) : Light bodied, carbonated, crisp.

Overall (3.54) : The label says it was made in WI. I think it's still Pabst made though? Anyways, this lager tastes paerrrrty good! It's a good pair for food and a night on the couch watching The Office. Love the one eyed guy on the label, and I wish they made it up here. Nice stuff! Back to the couch...

3.53/5  rDev +19.7%

Oh, oh, Mr. Boh....

From the stank of the treatment plant in Dundalk, to the freshly manured fields in Hereford....from the cross-eyed beauties in Rising Sun, to the same in Arbutus. All aroun' Balmer, hon. Goin' to see the O's....looking for my Natty Boh's.

Crabs and Boh....the two biggest reasons to come to Balmer. Not that I'm biased, but this is the best macro out there. Clean, crisp, perfect compliment to Old Bay.

It's gotta be from a bottle though. Pours yellow, normal macro color, with a thin white head. Rice and corn on the nose. Don't let this beer get warm or you can actually smell the Dundalk treatment plant. Watery with loads of carbonation. Great lawmower quality.

A real thirstquencer that I always keep in stock. Sometimes it's hard to find bottles though because popularity among the masses has skyrocketed around here.

3.5/5  rDev +18.6%

appearance - very clear and pale yellow with 1 finger head

smell - just like any other american macro adjunct

taste - fairly flavorless and easy to drink. That is what you want when go for this style of beer

mouthfeel - watery as expected

overall - I last had this beer 20 years ago in college (can). I really didn't like it then at all. I find it much easier to drink today. Owned by Papst but much better than a PBR.

3.5/5  rDev +18.6%

I like this beer. I like Baltimore. I like Camden Yards. I like to drink this beer when in Baltimore and maybe even at Camden Yards watching the Red Sox whoopin' some robin birds. Good beer, great logo. Ice cold, gimme gimme, yum yum. If not in Baltimore and I can find it wherever I live, I like to drink 'em and watch The Wire and perhaps listen to J. Roddy Walston & The Business.

3.5/5  rDev +18.6%

First, my tastes. I typically enjoy a smooth yet strong and fairly hearty beer like a sam adams or a blue moon typically, but i will occasionally binge on some Coors Light or Budweiser.

Now to Mr. Boh.

Natty Boh...this is the best beer you can buy for the money, at least in Maryland (the land of pleasant living AKA chesapeake bay). A 24 pack will cost a little more than 12 dollars.

The color is a darker piss yellow color with fizz in it. No different than Coors Light or Bud Light. Nothing impressive here whatsoever.

The smell is actually kind of stinky to be honest. Just dont go around sniffin the beer all the time...people'll prolly think your strange at parties anyway.

Taste and mouthfeel...this is where natty boh shines for its price. It has a very smooth mouthfeel at first. Not too fizzy and not too mellow like miller lite. Very clean feel to it and smooth. The taste is clean and smooth with a little bit of a hoppy taste. Comparing it to Coors Light, it has more body to it and gives it heartier taste and feel.

Drinkability is extremely easy, but don't take that negatively. I drank 6 beers in a power hour fairly easily considering the amount. Its only because of its smoother character and lighter (not too light) characteristics.

Now, this isnt to say, those of you that enjoy the hearty beer and like to sip and enjoy A beer versus a few or more in a sitting should switch brands or anything. Natty Boh doesn't try too hard to impress, it just does. For those of you that drink a lot of macrobeers like Coors and Budweiser, deff gives this one a shot. I think you will be 'pleasant'ly surprised.

National Bohemian Beer from Pabst Brewing Company