Country Club Malt Liquor | Pabst Brewing Company

2.5

Reviews: 43 | Ratings: 95
Reviews by Lacesoutcody:
2.38/5  rDev -4.8%

Drank from a 32 oz. bottle.

A: A typical dingy yellow.

S: Corn, Metal, And a sick sweet finish.

T: Bready, Slight Alcohol, And Corn.

M: Fairly thin, not overbearing.

O: It's a malt, not great, not terrible, it's cheap and efficient. Have one, it's fairly rare, but there is much better things out there.

3.23/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.75

I had been seeking this out for a long time. I found it at a liquor store in Waltham, MA one summer day in 2012. It was found in the customary 40 ounce bottle, just sitting there with a gaggle of other 40's; as if to scream out "take me home." I bought it and took it to where I was staying. I cracked open the bottle to find wafts of skunk, but these skunky scents did not deter me from enjoying this malt. The taste was something else, like a classic malt liquor should taste: sweet malts and a hint of adjunct.

I was able to consume the 'Club. Overall I'd have this again. Since that day however, I have been unable to find it; s though the beer gods seem to have said "only once."

1.15/5  rDev -54%

Safeway gets 3 for $5 for a big bottle of this stuff so it is even cheap enough for our homeless population. What really gets me is that this was the cheap drunk of my youth. Makes me appreciate how far we have come in 50 years of beer making.

Tastes and smells like alcohol and stale water. Vodka is alcohol and water also, but this water has a rancid, chemical odor and flavor. I guess I would have to describe the flavor as a chemical-like bitterness.

Mouthfeel is like water, and there is simply nothing to like about this. I simply amazed at how many good ratings this swill gets, but many of them seem to be drinking it from the can so maybe that is better. I supposed if you chill it down to 33 degrees so the flavor is mostly lost you could choke this down, but to me this is one of the poorest “beers” on the market. Good for nothing but a cheap drunk. This may be the lowest rating I have ever given. Can you get a bad bottle of a bad beer? There must be some reason why my rating is so low compared to everyone else.

3.06/5  rDev +22.4%

I am a gross fat monster and so I've been looking for Country Club for years.

I read somewhere once that it was the first high-ish ABV beer that was directly marketed a malt liquor, and I've come across more than a few old print ads showing fifties-era frat boys pouring this stuff out of what look like pudding cans while coeds stumble in the background. It would be another decade plus until ads came along that were brazen enough to directly implicate malt liquor with date rape (thanks, Billy Dee Williams!), but we still got Country Club to thank for that trend. Needless to say, this beer has long been on my must-try list.

Forties were just sitting at the bottom of the cooler in some gas station in the middle of upstate New York. I jokingly told the clerk that I thought they stopped making it in the 70s. He said they might have, considering how poorly they sold at this particular location, so that didn't bode too well for its freshness.

Untwisting the cap, however, I pick up only a faint whiff of skunk, which is actually kinda complimentary in a weird way (some green bottle Euro saisons milk this effect quite well). The skunk is almost exclusively aromatic, however, as the flavor is neigh indistinguishable from MIckey's. Trust me, I've drank a lot of MIckey's, and this is just a skunked Mickey's.

Which isn't bad, in my book, even if it's not exactly good. I wouldn't drink Mickey's so goddamn often if I truly disliked its flavor. It's not for beer geeks, yeah. But as a malt liquor served in 40s, it gets the job done and is absolutely inoffensive.

1.15/5  rDev -54%

This has got to be one of the worst beers I have ever had. It poured a straw color yellow with a small fizzy white head that lasted a couple seconds and left no lace. The smell was just nasty and was 100% adjunct with a hint of alchohol. The flavor was about the same and was tollerable when it was super cold but once it warmed up it lost all hope. This is a beer to avoid for sure, go with Mickey's or Icehouse if you must get a beer like this.

2.54/5  rDev +1.6%

Purchased across from the cop shop in Weed, CA. Rough yellow appearance. Looks like the return on rented beer. Mild sweet, corny aroma, not offensive.

Sweet, stale alcohol breath flavor to it, no hopping, might be an all corn beer, or at least a substantial portion of it. I've had worse. A little gritty, reminds me of grain belt. Doesn't seem all that alcoholic taste wise. Does seem oxidized what is there.

Wasn't bad to have before lunch. Poured a tad of it out for Macho Man, who died the day before.

2.38/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.75/5  rDev +10%

2.84/5  rDev +13.6%

A brilliant, golden body sparkles with hundreds of fast-rising, tiny bubbles. It's frothy bright-white head holds surprisingly well for the style, and it maintains a thin but solid cap of creamy foam throughout the entire serving. Surprisingly for a malt liquor, it also leaves some sheets of lace that stand a half-inch or so above the level of the beer as it drops with each sip. The nose is limited, offering only alcohol over a note of sweet malt. The body is medium and it's gently crisp in the mouth. Not unlike the aroma, the flavor delivers a dull, semi-dry malt that expresses very little grain flavor and a noticeable amount of alcohol. Still, it's well balanced by an underlying bitterness and it's not as sickly sweet as some examples of the style tend to be. It finishes clean and dry with just a mild note of residual, lightly sweet malt, a touch of fruitiness that's not really noticeable while in the mouth, and a gentle wash of drying alcohol. Well-balanced and clean; but I'd expect a little more character in a beer that displays its alcohol content so readily.

2.46/5  rDev -1.6%

Wow, a blast from my teenage years in Florida. I bought this on the wrong side of the tracks at a gas station in southern Virginia. When I cracked this quart bottle the first thing I noticed was the skunky aroma. the flavor was traditional ghetto malt liquor. which I grew up on. with that said, the brew was ok, but lacked carbonation to match the flavor. not completely horrible; but you get what you expected with this beer. A cheap buzz with little complexity.

2.53/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.19/5  rDev +27.6%

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of corn and malts. Taste is like the smell, malts with some corn and a touch of alcohol. Feels light in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall not bad as far as malt liquors go.

3.2/5  rDev +28%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

From the 40 ounce bomber stamped: OCT2912-EO5112020. Sampled on June 26, 2013.

The Granddaddy of Malt Liquors! Great double crack on the twist-off cap. It pours pale yellow with a tremendous milk shake-like white head that takes a good 2-3 minutes to dissipate. Hey! It looks like a malt liquor should but not golden like Colt 45.

The malt aroma is much more sweet and buttery than cloying. That's considerably better than I expected after reading earlier reviews. Even some yeast. Hops in the background are clean and crisp.

The body is light to medium.

The taste is malt forward but not sharp or biting like so many malt liquors can be. It does not make me grit my teeth when I drink it. Actually it is smooth and on the sweet side. Not really dry at the end but a vague lingering bitterness. I find it to be a decent malt liquor and nowhere near as gut-clearing as others I have had.

1.75/5  rDev -30%

Think of it as a palate cleanser

My only advice is drink it cold, drink it fast.

3.18/5  rDev +27.2%

This is a nostalgia review. When I was a kid (About 40 years ago) this product was sold in short 8 ounce (?) cans in a six pack. We used to refer to it as CC. One of it's pluses was a sixer was easy to conceal and the high (at the time) alcohol content. (5.5%) This was daring stuff for a young person in an era of 3.2% beer!

The six pack slid right down into a golf bag and was readily accessible once on the course. I used to go golfing with a buddy of the same age and we would split a sixer on the links with declining results on our golf game. We always had a good time anyway.

I remember this brew had a too-sweet taste compared to the macro-brews of the time but was satifying on a hot day as long as it remained cold.

2.75/5  rDev +10%

Ah, Country Club, how close we've gotten over the past several months. Strangely, this beer actually was marketed towards middle-class whites when it first came out. The ads showed classy folks having a classy time with this new "malt liquor" product. It was one of the very first malt liquors, in fact, and appear to have been sold largely in small, maybe 8oz. cans? This was marketed and sold to improve white people's lives. Those days are over, and "the Club" as I like to call it is now mostly available in lower-income areas in order to poison the poor and keep them sedated and content. It's working for me. And I got a dollar left! Here in Brooklyn, it's often the cheapest choice in the store, whether you opt for a 12oz can or a full "half quart" Forties also can be fucked with (for a mere $1.59). Still has a touch of class; it'd be a dollar-fifty even if it was really bottom-shelf. As we all know.

But enough history and value considerations. Onto the beer. I chose a single cold 12oz. can for this review. Unlike some other malt liquors, the Club is best in the can. You want it to be cold, very cold while you drink it, and I find the cans have a crisper taste. Has a sort of strange, corny, medichemical(?) stale beer smell. I'm finding this sample to be not nearly cold enough, as sour, off flavors invade immediately as it cools. At this point, one must go for broke and pound the fucker. It ain't going to get any better. The mouthfeel is OK, too 'fizzy' and scalds the throat like most lower-end malt liquors (yes, there is a lower end to the lower end of this beverage we call 'beer'). Tastes like cheap, folks.

2.5/5  rDev 0%

3.7/5  rDev +48%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Its been a little while since Ive last hopped on the fo-tay train. 40 oz clear bottle pours into a mason jar a clear gold color with a decent cap of fluffy white head. Actually has some pretty decent retention, no lacing.

Nose is definitely corn-a-licious, but it is surprisingly unoffensive. For a forty, you really cant ask for much more. Maybe a touch of hops would be nice, but none are to be found here.

Hmmm, not bad. Clean and fairly crisp. It is not as sweet as most Malt Liquors and there is actually a little bit of dryness on the finish. Its on the low side ABV-wise and that probably is why it feels lighter than most of this style. I actually prefer mine in the 6-7% range, otherwise I just feel like I might as well be drinking a Coors. But I must say that of all the Malt Liquors I have had, this one tastes the lightest, most crisp and is probably the least offensive. Dare I say that I wont have much trouble finishing the bottle? Something about drinking out of a 40 oz bottle soothes the soul!

Country Club Malt Liquor from Pabst Brewing Company