Country Club Malt Liquor | Pabst Brewing Company

Liked:
2.37/5
Alströms:

1.36/5  rDev -42.6%

A - Very light golden color, almost thought it was water watching it to come out of the can. A finger of very thin white head quickly disappear. Shake up a can of sprite and and pour it, it'll hold head longer.

S - Cereal, bready, some alcohol...I'm dreading drinking this

T - I was expecting horrible, so when it hit the tongue with all the flavor of Natural Light, I was pleasantly surprised...but then it hit me. It was like a shot of vodka that had been bombed into the beer. Gah, the alcohol made my face twist.

M/D - Mouthfeel worked, until the alcohol burn hit. Blech. Drinkability? You have to be kidding. If you want to imagine Popov vodka and bad beer, that's how drinkable it is.

1.37/5  rDev -42.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

1.38/5  rDev -41.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

My housemate bought me this because it was literally the cheapest beer per ounce at Safeway.

Appearance is like post-asparagus urine. A slimy white froth sits atop the column of liquid.

Doesn't smell really like anything, maybe a bit mealy and corn syrupy.

Taste is pretty clean but still unappealing. Standard malt liquor corn sweetness with no hops whatsoever. Towards the end it degrades into basically sugary spritzer water.

Mouthfeel is too carbonated, paper thin, dirty.

This gave me a headache. Even for novelty's sake I won't be drinking this again.

1.5/5  rDev -36.7%

1.5/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Now this is one atrocious beer, even for its type.

Pours the same sickly yellow color we come to expect. Not much head.

Just a disgusting skunky corn taste. No redeeming quality. I used to reject this regularly in favor of more palatable malt liquors.

Cool name, and that's about it.

1.56/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A: From the can, this beer pours a clear yellow with a big, rocky white head. Head retention is much better than I would normally expect from a beer of this style.

S: Very sterile on the nose, with aromas of roasted corn, grain husks, and an odd fruity smell reminiscent of green apple. The aromas present are a bit repellent, but I don't think that any malt liquor is designed to smell good, so it doesn't really matter.

T: This beer starts off sweet with definite fruity accents. I'm picking up green apple, as well as grain husks, roasted corn, minerals, wet straw, and a touch of grassy hops. As the beer warms a bit, cooked vegetable, lemon, and alcohol notes creep out of the woodwork. The finish is short and simple with grain husk and corn notes.

M: Light bodied and dry. The beer has a flabby, lethargic feel to it despite the presence of relatively active, crisp carbonation. Not drinkable at all.

O: Well, it is a typical American malt liquor, which is to say that this beer was probably never intended to be all that great. Compared to other examples of the style, it's not absolutely wretched, but it is extremely close. Actually, scratch that. It's wretched.

1.97/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 1 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

It's cheap, it fucks you up, not sure why it's on BA but it is.

1.98/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Cheap, moderately harsh, and associated with certain reviled demographics, this is everything I seek in a beer. Livin' high with Country Club! Pouring a pale yellow with plenty of carbonation, it comes out of the can the same way it comes out of me. The aroma is of a fine industrial quality. I take a draught and immediately notice that unnamed, cryptic harshness of mysterious origins common to all malt liquors. Not much else hits me. Are hops used in this? I don't know. Are lawn trimmings used in this? Not sure, but if so, they are used stingily so as not to impart much flavor. As I swirl it around in my facial beer receptacle, pondering on the vagaries of brewing this fine beverage, I wonder if I am tasting a faint hint of malt. But malted what? Can sorrow be malted? Perhaps not. Perhaps it was just my imagination. But the harshness returns in the finish. That much I am not imagining. Ahh, good stuff! (But seriously, if the alternative is Leffe Blonde or some such rotten skunk, I will happily drink Country Club all day.)

My only advice is drink it cold, drink it fast.

2.16/5  rDev -8.9%

I bought a 40 of this at Safeway many years ago.

A- Looks like normal beer to me, very clear.

S- Didnt smell all too great from what I remember, not terribly bad though.

T- This is probably my least favorite malt liquor that I can think of.

M- Mouthfeel is very bubbly.

D- I probably will not buy this again, I might drink a glass if someone had some that was cold.

Country Club Malt Liquor from Pabst Brewing Company