Country Club Malt Liquor | Pabst Brewing Company

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 04-03-2003

2.75/5  rDev +15.5%

1.75/5  rDev -26.5%

1.28/5  rDev -46.2%

What can you say, if you have $1.39 and want to catch a buzz you can. It is strong and nasty at best. I once slammed 1 1/2~40oz and was wrecked, laying on across train tracks. It's nasty tasting. Very watery flavour. It gave me a hang over the next day. The beer does not stay cold on top of it.

1.98/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Cheap, moderately harsh, and associated with certain reviled demographics, this is everything I seek in a beer. Livin' high with Country Club! Pouring a pale yellow with plenty of carbonation, it comes out of the can the same way it comes out of me. The aroma is of a fine industrial quality. I take a draught and immediately notice that unnamed, cryptic harshness of mysterious origins common to all malt liquors. Not much else hits me. Are hops used in this? I don't know. Are lawn trimmings used in this? Not sure, but if so, they are used stingily so as not to impart much flavor. As I swirl it around in my facial beer receptacle, pondering on the vagaries of brewing this fine beverage, I wonder if I am tasting a faint hint of malt. But malted what? Can sorrow be malted? Perhaps not. Perhaps it was just my imagination. But the harshness returns in the finish. That much I am not imagining. Ahh, good stuff! (But seriously, if the alternative is Leffe Blonde or some such rotten skunk, I will happily drink Country Club all day.)

2.5/5  rDev +5%

2.75/5  rDev +15.5%

3.2/5  rDev +34.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

From the 40 ounce bomber stamped: OCT2912-EO5112020. Sampled on June 26, 2013.

The Granddaddy of Malt Liquors! Great double crack on the twist-off cap. It pours pale yellow with a tremendous milk shake-like white head that takes a good 2-3 minutes to dissipate. Hey! It looks like a malt liquor should but not golden like Colt 45.

The malt aroma is much more sweet and buttery than cloying. That's considerably better than I expected after reading earlier reviews. Even some yeast. Hops in the background are clean and crisp.

The body is light to medium.

The taste is malt forward but not sharp or biting like so many malt liquors can be. It does not make me grit my teeth when I drink it. Actually it is smooth and on the sweet side. Not really dry at the end but a vague lingering bitterness. I find it to be a decent malt liquor and nowhere near as gut-clearing as others I have had.

Country Club Malt Liquor from Pabst Brewing Company