Country Club Malt Liquor | Pabst Brewing Company

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 04-03-2003

2.5
32%

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Second can picked up from the cheapo bin at Kroger. Best-by date on the bottom says December 21st, 2015.

Poured into a standard pint glass; very pale yellow while pouring, a tad darker in the glass. It's very clear, with lots of bubbles rising up constantly. Actually has a decent-looking head of foam on it at first, and though it shrinks away somewhat quickly it does leave behind a ring around the edge of the glass and some "islands" of thin foam on top.

Smell upon first cracking open the can was a pretty strong blast of corn and funkiness, though it wasn't nearly as flat-out *bad* as the smell from the first can, which I remember being by far the grossest smell I'd ever gotten from a beer (it was much more sulfurous than what I got this time, I'd almost describe it as "farty") -- I wonder why there was such a difference? Either way, the smell fades once it's in the glass for a bit, but taking a sniff gets you some corn and a bit of some not-so-pleasant sweetness. Fortunately, that weird sweetness does fade away after a while so you mostly smell just a bit of corn. It's not the worst smelling beer I've had, but definitely not all that great either, and I have to count the initial nasty smelling blast upon opening the can against it even if it is a bit more pleasant afterward.

Taste is actually a good bit nicer than the smell. It's pretty pleasant overall, actually -- certainly not what I expected going by what I've heard about malt liquor in general. The primary flavor is sweet corn, and there's also a bready, grainy malt kind of thing going on in there. There's also a bit of a not-so-pleasant sweetness which reminds me of the similar flavor I picked up in Busch Signature (just a bit more than in this one) and Foster's Ale (so strong it was overpowering and, when I got to the second half of that giant can, a drain-pour.) That kinda-gross sweetness seems to come out more if you drink bigger gulps, but even then it's still not quite strong enough to make the overall flavor outright *bad.* On a positive note, that weird sweetness (much like the smell) seems to be "tamed" more and more toward the bottom of the glass, Maybe this actually benefits somewhat from being allowed to warm a bit, contrary to all I've heard about lighter-colored cheap beers being best when ice cold.

Mouthfeel is actually pretty nice -- I was pleasantly surprised by this aspect of the beer. It's not super fizzy and prickly, but it's not at all watery or thin-feeling at all, it actually feels somewhat substantial which makes it easier to drink smaller amounts at a time to prevent the nasty sweetness from building up too much. Leaves an interesting slick/sticky sort of feel on the lips and tongue after drinking a bit, haven't had many beers that did that but I kinda like it. No complaints here.

Overall -- is this a great beer? Nah, not really. But considering the horror stories I've heard about how bad malt liquor is in general, I was honestly pretty surprised by this one -- it may not be anything super amazing, but it's definitely not anything super awful either. I've actually found it pretty pleasant to drink both times I've had it, the only real negative is the smell and even that's not so bad after the initial blast upon opening the can. If you can't afford the prices of most "craft" six-packs but still want something that tastes halfway-decent and feels like more than just light fizzy beer-water, this really wouldn't be all that bad of a choice -- I'd certainly take it over something like Bud Light, especially considering that this is 2 dollars cheaper for a six-pack!

2.25/5  rDev -10%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.63/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.38/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

1.97/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 1 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

It's cheap, it fucks you up, not sure why it's on BA but it is.

This is the Colt 45 they mop off the floor

2.5/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My only advice is drink it cold, drink it fast.

2.63/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

2.46/5  rDev -1.6%

Wow, a blast from my teenage years in Florida. I bought this on the wrong side of the tracks at a gas station in southern Virginia. When I cracked this quart bottle the first thing I noticed was the skunky aroma. the flavor was traditional ghetto malt liquor. which I grew up on. with that said, the brew was ok, but lacked carbonation to match the flavor. not completely horrible; but you get what you expected with this beer. A cheap buzz with little complexity.

3.21/5  rDev +28.4%

Could be way worse but at 2 bucks this swill is actually drinkable .. It's not a cloying malt bomb like Mickeys

Think of it as a palate cleanser

4.25/5  rDev +70%

very malty taste. taste almost like a soggy paper bag or cherrios. i miss this brew, one of my favorite 40 oz.'s Great memories of being 21 and reckless. This has been hard to find in northern cali, but a must try, much more pleasant than the traditional 40 oz. out there.

2.75/5  rDev +10%