Country Club Malt Liquor | Pabst Brewing Company

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 04-03-2003

2.5
32%

1.28/5  rDev -48.8%

What can you say, if you have $1.39 and want to catch a buzz you can. It is strong and nasty at best. I once slammed 1 1/2~40oz and was wrecked, laying on across train tracks. It's nasty tasting. Very watery flavour. It gave me a hang over the next day. The beer does not stay cold on top of it.

2.25/5  rDev -10%

1.98/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Cheap, moderately harsh, and associated with certain reviled demographics, this is everything I seek in a beer. Livin' high with Country Club! Pouring a pale yellow with plenty of carbonation, it comes out of the can the same way it comes out of me. The aroma is of a fine industrial quality. I take a draught and immediately notice that unnamed, cryptic harshness of mysterious origins common to all malt liquors. Not much else hits me. Are hops used in this? I don't know. Are lawn trimmings used in this? Not sure, but if so, they are used stingily so as not to impart much flavor. As I swirl it around in my facial beer receptacle, pondering on the vagaries of brewing this fine beverage, I wonder if I am tasting a faint hint of malt. But malted what? Can sorrow be malted? Perhaps not. Perhaps it was just my imagination. But the harshness returns in the finish. That much I am not imagining. Ahh, good stuff! (But seriously, if the alternative is Leffe Blonde or some such rotten skunk, I will happily drink Country Club all day.)

2.5/5  rDev 0%

3.2/5  rDev +28%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

From the 40 ounce bomber stamped: OCT2912-EO5112020. Sampled on June 26, 2013.

The Granddaddy of Malt Liquors! Great double crack on the twist-off cap. It pours pale yellow with a tremendous milk shake-like white head that takes a good 2-3 minutes to dissipate. Hey! It looks like a malt liquor should but not golden like Colt 45.

The malt aroma is much more sweet and buttery than cloying. That's considerably better than I expected after reading earlier reviews. Even some yeast. Hops in the background are clean and crisp.

The body is light to medium.

The taste is malt forward but not sharp or biting like so many malt liquors can be. It does not make me grit my teeth when I drink it. Actually it is smooth and on the sweet side. Not really dry at the end but a vague lingering bitterness. I find it to be a decent malt liquor and nowhere near as gut-clearing as others I have had.

1.75/5  rDev -30%

1.75/5  rDev -30%

2.5/5  rDev 0%

3.7/5  rDev +48%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Its been a little while since Ive last hopped on the fo-tay train. 40 oz clear bottle pours into a mason jar a clear gold color with a decent cap of fluffy white head. Actually has some pretty decent retention, no lacing.

Nose is definitely corn-a-licious, but it is surprisingly unoffensive. For a forty, you really cant ask for much more. Maybe a touch of hops would be nice, but none are to be found here.

Hmmm, not bad. Clean and fairly crisp. It is not as sweet as most Malt Liquors and there is actually a little bit of dryness on the finish. Its on the low side ABV-wise and that probably is why it feels lighter than most of this style. I actually prefer mine in the 6-7% range, otherwise I just feel like I might as well be drinking a Coors. But I must say that of all the Malt Liquors I have had, this one tastes the lightest, most crisp and is probably the least offensive. Dare I say that I wont have much trouble finishing the bottle? Something about drinking out of a 40 oz bottle soothes the soul!

2.27/5  rDev -9.2%

Served from a 12oz can into a Sam pint glass.

A: Light golden. Head dissipates as quickly as it arrives and becomes nothing more than a thin white rim afterwards.

S: Smells of apple cider. Sugary sweet.

T: Alcohol overpowers the slight sweetness of the less-regarded grains.

M: Medium-carbonated, but under-carbonated for the style. Thin-to-medium body.

O: Not sure where to place this on the scale of the style. Certainly not the best. Maybe not the most offensive, but I can't think of an example that's rougher at the moment. Carbonation is too thin and not nearly sweet enough to cover-up the rough alcohol taste that is ever-more apparent as it warms up.

Country Club Malt Liquor from Pabst Brewing Company