Country Club Malt Liquor | Pabst Brewing Company

32%

2.53/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.63/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.25/5  rDev -10%

3.38/5  rDev +35.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I bought a case of this stuff as a joke, once. I was rather surprised! It's got a nice clean smooth taste, hiding a hefty alcohol-level punch that will quickly track you down! I believe it used to be made by a brewery in New York State when I bought it, so I'm not sure whether my experience is consistent with the current owner's froth, but after reading some of the other reviews, they seem consistent with my own experience.

The flavor is a bit over-average on the malt taste, and a bit of a yeast flavor. The carbonation is good, not overdone.

It sure left a good headache, though.

Big ass 22 oz. bottle.

Appearance-pale golden color with a fizzy white head that is rather large and sticks around, no lace being left. Just a fizzy beer.

Smell-lots of grain, toasted barley, biscuity malts, some discernable hop lingerings.

Taste-effortlessly smooth, smooth malt profile, not really much hops and fairly bland but no worse than any other macro. Decent.

Mouthfeel-not too overbearing, alcohol is hid really well, goes down really smooth, minimal aftertaste.

Drinkability-really smooth and decent for a malt liquor, hides it's alcohol level really well. I'm shocked.

Overall-by far the best malt liquor I've had, even better than Colt 45, tastes like a normal lager but higher alcohol and insanely poundable. Don't drink too many of these, but at least I've finally found a decent malt liquor.

2.23/5  rDev -10.8%

1.36/5  rDev -45.6%

A - Very light golden color, almost thought it was water watching it to come out of the can. A finger of very thin white head quickly disappear. Shake up a can of sprite and and pour it, it'll hold head longer.

S - Cereal, bready, some alcohol...I'm dreading drinking this

T - I was expecting horrible, so when it hit the tongue with all the flavor of Natural Light, I was pleasantly surprised...but then it hit me. It was like a shot of vodka that had been bombed into the beer. Gah, the alcohol made my face twist.

M/D - Mouthfeel worked, until the alcohol burn hit. Blech. Drinkability? You have to be kidding. If you want to imagine Popov vodka and bad beer, that's how drinkable it is.

2.22/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured some from a 40oz bottle into a pint glass, drank the rest from the bottle.

Appearance/Smell - Appears pale straw yellow with about half and inch of frothy head, and surprisingly, it retains very well and even leaves soapy lacing. Highly carbonated, lots of little strings of never ending carbonation, one of the better looking Malt liquors Iv ever seen! Smells of a very potent, acidic, tart grape aroma, coupled with an almost as powerful corn & grain aroma. Ugh! It almost made me sick, the aromas get very tiring, in fact it almost reminded me of a more powerful smelling Miller High Life.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tastes of a dominate sweet, grainy/rice flavor, coupled with apple, tart grape, pair, and lite citrus flavors, there manages to be some apparent bitterness on the finish as well. Very corny overall and not to enjoyable. Mouthfeel is smooth, lots of bite on the tongue from the carbonation, watery, and very lite bodied.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - In a way this Malt was very easy to drink, but the flavors and aroma quickly get old, if not sickening, as they did with me. To me, it tasted like a really bad American Adjunct Lager, and there wasn't even any classic Malt Liquor flavors. I enjoy Malt Liquor, but this was just tiring to me, way to corny! I don't recommend this Malt at all, if your looking for something easy to drink and with a lower ABV, than Id say go with Mickeys, or King Cobra. Just not this stuff, not a fan.

2.2/5  rDev -12%

Country Club - "America's Premium Malt Liquor" according to the label. The label also says "Pearl Brewing Co." which means that it was probably a G. Heileman brew at one point and is now part of the Pabst portfolio which is now all contract brewed by Miller in Milwaukee. Anyway, the name seems like a vain attempt to add some "classy" appeal to what is otherwise the least classy type of beer you can find.

Country Club pours a clear, bright urine yellow color with a decent foam white head that lasts about a minute. The smell isn't too harsh and basically consists of cheap adjunct grain smells (that cheap grainy/husky/musty scent, if you will). The mouthfeel was watery, but not as fizzy as some other standard fizzy yellow beers. The initial taste was on the light side. Some slight sweetness and adjunct graininess. Some dirty/soapy water taste along with a very light hop bitterness. In addition there was some alcohol taste here, but it had almost a fruity character to it. Not too gagging. Overall, a standard and unoverpowering flavor. The aftertaste was a little bit cleaner then I expected: just some continuing graininess and alcohol. It all finishes with the standard malt liquor warmth (and beginnings of a headache).

Overall, not too bad. If I had to pick a 40, I'd choose Colt 45 over this. I'm not sure of the abv, but my head was slightly humming about halfway through the bottle (I gave the other half to my bro).

1.15/5  rDev -54%

Safeway gets 3 for $5 for a big bottle of this stuff so it is even cheap enough for our homeless population. What really gets me is that this was the cheap drunk of my youth. Makes me appreciate how far we have come in 50 years of beer making.

Tastes and smells like alcohol and stale water. Vodka is alcohol and water also, but this water has a rancid, chemical odor and flavor. I guess I would have to describe the flavor as a chemical-like bitterness.

Mouthfeel is like water, and there is simply nothing to like about this. I simply amazed at how many good ratings this swill gets, but many of them seem to be drinking it from the can so maybe that is better. I supposed if you chill it down to 33 degrees so the flavor is mostly lost you could choke this down, but to me this is one of the poorest “beers” on the market. Good for nothing but a cheap drunk. This may be the lowest rating I have ever given. Can you get a bad bottle of a bad beer? There must be some reason why my rating is so low compared to everyone else.

1.15/5  rDev -54%

This has got to be one of the worst beers I have ever had. It poured a straw color yellow with a small fizzy white head that lasted a couple seconds and left no lace. The smell was just nasty and was 100% adjunct with a hint of alchohol. The flavor was about the same and was tollerable when it was super cold but once it warmed up it lost all hope. This is a beer to avoid for sure, go with Mickey's or Icehouse if you must get a beer like this.

2.3/5  rDev -8%

Never heard of this before and wanted to give it a try...

Nice minimalistic (ie cheap) label on the front.. standard yellowish brew inside.

Aroma is not too clean and heavy on the corn and bready malt.

Taste is sort of like MHL and Coors blended together but a little more dry and with some perceptible hop flavor lingering in there.

Mouthfeel is extrordinarily light and dry and almost acidic.

An interesting buy, but I'll stick to OE when I'm in the mood for a 40.

1.97/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 1 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

It's cheap, it fucks you up, not sure why it's on BA but it is.

1.37/5  rDev -45.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

2.86/5  rDev +14.4%

I can't even believe I bought this, however, I am a firm believer that every beer has some redeeming value, however small, so for the sake of knowledge and experience I dropped a WHOLE DOLLAR on a 40 oz. bottle of this liquid beast.

For one, it comes in a clear bottle, bright yellow, a bubble or two at the top but thats it. I didn't even bother to pour it, however, the little that I did had no head whatsoever.

Smells like beer and a faint hint of corn, not much else.

Taste was, I have to say, better than I expected. I am NOT a fan at all of malt liquor, it gives me a nasty gut cramp, so I aproached this one with trepidation. The taste was a bit sweet, malty and a mix of corn and grain. Not really any strong tastes, and it went down pretty smooth with little to no aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was very smooth, went down much like water. Almost no detectable carbonation and no aftetaste. Weight was really light.

Drinkability here is a bit above average. In the event that I ever want a cheap ( and seriously, it's only a damn dollar) malt beverage, this is a viable option. I'll probably get a few more.

1.75/5  rDev -30%

2.38/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

1.5/5  rDev -40%