Fire & Ice | Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery
New York, United States
brooklynbrewery.com

Style: American Porter

Brooklyn Fire & Ice is a robust porter that wraps beechwood smoke around a silky core of oatmeal and roasted malts. Wood is cut in the beechwood forests surrounding Bamberg, Germany, and our maltsters use it to dry their smoked malts, which form the basis of this beer. Together with a blend of roasted malts, it creates a beer that is gently smoky and beguilingly chocolaty, with notes of coffee and caramel.

Added by dwagner003 on 11-14-2013

4.75/5  rDev +29.4%

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Delicious flavors of chocolate and smoked oats. Definitely accomplishes what it set out to do in terms of flavor. Dark, dark beer with a tint of red, nearly no light penetration. A solid finger and a half of light brown foam.

Beer loses lots of points for being aggressively carbonated. My mouth wanted smooth to accompany the flavors, and the traditional feel of a porter or a stout. But instead my tongue was tortured by lots of prickly bubbles.

Still very tasty. Recommend sacreligiously stirring this one before you drink it.

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A very smokey porter, chocolatey, almost sharp in its flavor. Very nice brown color. Got this from a keg at the Columbus Winter Beer Fest... I'm surprised to log on here to see it says "retired"... I didnt know I was sampling the last batch of it.

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%

4.11/5  rDev +12%

At Meadhall, Cambridge MA

Black with a grayish khaki head. Retention is wispy ring of foam. Served in a 12 Beers of Christmas glass.

One of the more inviting and complex smoke aromas I've had the pleasure to sniff. It's warm, beechy (I would have guessed birch though I don't know that I can differentiate different wood smokes but I'll pretend I can) and very inviting. Mildly charred roast malt to round out the nose.

Doesn't taste as smokey as it smells. It's enough but I love a smoke bomb. Not sure if it's the smoke or acid with the roast malt but there's a definite savory character to this beer.

Is Brooklyn hopping on George Martin's bandwagon or if there's a deeper reason for this beer's namesake? I get the Fire as symbolized by the smoked malt but what about the ice?

4.01/5  rDev +9.3%