Brooklyner Weisse | Brooklyn Brewery

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by UnionMade on 08-01-2001

4.1

2.94/5  rDev -22.6%

This might not be a great review, because as I look at the date label it reads this month. I figured since I was buying a US produced Weiss, it was the first of their spring offerings. I'm reviewing it anyway, but I promise to try a more fresh offering in the future.
Appearance: Pours a nice hefe orange-gold, but seems thinner than some others I've had. Less yeast in the beer makes it more transparent. You can tell its unfiltered, but not really. Yes, I swirled the yeast and poured it also (you gots to!)
Smell: This is where I think it might be past its prime. I get a nice lemon like citrus that burns with skunk. I got it out of a cooler, from the back. I doubt light affected it, maybe it ought to have been stored room temp to let the yeasts ferment? I don't know. Smell was very poor.
Taste: Light and clean, with some minimal aftertaste of skunking. The thing is, I don't think I really got a bad bottle. I think this beer would do a lot better fresh or within 2 months of bottling. There are faint citrus notes of lemon and orange, no real spicing comes through. Really, it's pretty boring considering what can be done within the hefeweizen style.
Mouthfeel: Eh, thin. I like more yeast, something interesting
Drinkability: Fine I guess. The aftertaste hurts me though. I ought to find this on tap next time I visit my girlfriend's family right outside of the City. Brooklyn rules the taps in nothern NJ, but I haven't yet tried it fresh.

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

Rubbed my eyes when I saw this six pack available at McLean Ave Dist in Yonkers NY. I've enjoyed it at the Brewery on Friday nights and at bars, but never seen retail.

Poured into Heffe glass with small but tight amber head. Body is cloudy dark tan and orangesque. Well balanced carbonation as it breathes.

The smell of fruit with emphasis on orange is detectable. More than likely Garrett has cloves and bananas within as well.

T: This is where the show really picks up folks. This could be the best American Weiss I have ever had out of a bottle. Medium to strong wheat meets your pallet. Rich complexity of the beer comes through in the 2nd aftertaste. This is where the darkesh hue cloudy color came through with spades.

M: Smooth and tight.

D: As easy as rolling out of bed. Has some tartness at the end.

3.4/5  rDev -10.5%

It looks like I'm going to be going against the grain of the reviews, here.

First, the aroma to me is off-base and unpleasant. Yes, I smell some wheat and some citrus, but overall I smell something sour and unpleasant, almost like charcoal briquets.

Offwhite head dies to a brief white patch. Cloudy, apple juice colored body.

Crisp wheat taste. Hints of apple, slick and sweet. Moderate carbonation. Slightly raspy.

There is something sour and off-tasting about this beer. Not my favorite weisse.

3.45/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Beautiful bright gold with a small off white head. Lots of tropical and banana esters. Typical hefeweizen nose. Bananas, good fruity flavors dominate the palate. Good, crisp, slightly sweet finish. Very nice. Light but flavorful mouthfeel. Slightly short on the finish. A very well done hefe. Not as funky as other offerings. Crisp and flavorful throughout. Good example of the style, IMO. Definately worth a try.

4.54/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a hazy orange gold with minimal head. Displays fine carbonation.

Clove and banana nose along with the rest of the typical Hefe Weizen smells.

Taste is well balanced, actually pretty impressive. Very tasty and refreshing.

Mouthfeel is crisp and clean and light.

Great drinkability. In many ways it compares favorably to some of the best with the appearance being the only area lacking.

2.67/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

On draft at the brewery. Tons of carbonation seen rising through an orangey-lemon unclear brew. Heavy layer of creamy white head with just a few bubbles. The scent is not too strong, just slightly saison-ish, but there is also a bit of a sulfur scent going on, (bit disturbing). Can feel the carbonation, but it is not too much. Cola, sassafrass, bit of sweetness. There is something in here that I just can’t place that turns me off... For some reason I keep thinking of that taste in your mouth after you have eaten a ton of movie theater popcorn, that kernel flavor. I usually enjoy weiss beers, this one just did not float my boat.

The best German-style wheat.
Great head good taste,I could survive on it alone.
Good color hazy yellow body.
The taste goes on for days.with or w/o a lemon.
Smokey after taste verry filling.But I could find room for
another!

the perfict wheat.

2.85/5  rDev -25%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Unexpectedly clear for a hefe, but a pretty gold with a bright white head that quickly falls. Smells very sour with just a bit of mustiness. Tastes extremely sour, very lemony and tart, almost like thin, sparkling lemon juice. I find this not just one-dimensional but downright unpleasant. Not my cup of tea.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

A: pours a cloudy, pale, orange-yellow with a small white head that quickly reduces to a thin layer of foam and leaves almost no lace.

S: banana, cloves, spice, citrus and honey

T: honey sweetness up front, followed by a subtle banana-spice flavour that resuces, once again, to a lasting yeasty, honey-sweet aftertaste

M: light and creamy, excellent carbonation and buttey, smooth, yet-crisp citrusy finish.

D: This is a great hefe - I'm diggin' the extra honey touch on this one compared to most other Hefe's I've tried. Nice flavour, good body and very refreshing. I could see myself throwing back a few of these on many occasion in the future. Brooklyn continues to impress me.

3.72/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured a pale cloudy orange with a less than great head in my Tucher Weizen glass. Wispy head remains throughout. Aroma is very clean. Lots of lemon and other citrus. Some clove. Taste is fairly tart with citrus, a little clove spiciness, and fairly bready. Not much banana to speak of. Prickly mouthfeel. Not a very complex brew, but great on a hot summer's day. I think I'll stick with Paulaner or Weihenstephaner.

3.05/5  rDev -19.7%

I watched the bartender pour this to a frothy head that looked like a pilsner type of beer as it came before me. After just tasting the Pennant Ale, I was looking forward to something lighter.

The first impression was that it was very dry without much body to speak of and the taste of hops just jumped out. I tried to find something useful to taste it with on the bar's menu, but this just wasn't going to be my beer.

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance: Golden clear, nice white head. Fairly clear beer for a wheat. Good head retention.

Aroma: Spicy banana. Slight citrus, with a hint of corriander in the nose. Sweet aroma.

Taste: Very dry flavor. Dry up front and finishing quite dusty. A bit of fruit on the front of the tongue, but not too much. Carbonation level seems high.

Notes: The fruit and spice level doesn't come through into the taste very much, very drinkable. Good thirst quenching backyard summertime ale.

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

The beer was a hazy golden color with the typical large hefe head and plenty of lacing. The aroma was a strong base of wheat with the usual citrus undertone and a hint of clove. The taste is all hefe with the characteristic citrus flavor and a hint of banana, I think. I really liked this beer. I haven't had many Brooklyn beers but if they're all as good as this, I will be drinking a lot more. The mouthfeel is especially cleansing with that citrusy ting. I could have had many of these but the day was young and there were other bars to visit.

4.59/5  rDev +20.8%

Served in my favorite glass, a Duvel tulip. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Says best before Jan 2009. I rarely listen to those dates.

A - A nice bright brownish orange; appropriately cloudy with little head.

S - The most citrusy beer I've smelled. Smells of fresh lemons, caramel and hops. Lovely.

T - Slightly toasty with slight, pleasant hop bitterness. Sweet banana and citrus also present.

M - Interesting, to say the least. Short on aftertaste and leaves a feeling like there's a film on my tongue. Carbonation's good, but this is the weak point of this otherwise excellent brew

D - Smooth and tasty, I could drink this all day. An excellent everyday beer.

Overall - This is going to be one of my refrigerator standbys. Tasty and easy drinking, I'm going to enjoy this one a long time.

3.77/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured into weisse glass.

A: Hazy, cloudy pale yellow with two fingers of fluffy head. Retention was good. It's unfiltered, but there's not a whole lot of yeast in the bottle.

S: Lemons, cloves, banana, vanilla and wheat. Pretty aromatic, actually.

T: Like a spicy banana bread with cream cheese frosting, though without the mouthfeel that that implies. Banana and wheat up front, and spice toward the middle. Finish has a bit of astringency to it, but not much.

M: Light-bodied and crisp.

D: Pretty good. Better than some of those America Pale Wheat beers that masquerade as hefeweizens, but it's still a bit on the light side. I still look to Germany for all my hefeweizen needs, but this is a pretty decent beer.

3.84/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours a bright yellow orange. Minimal head. Hazy, but not as much as a German hefe would be. Bits of weird sediment float about. None too appealing.

Pleasingly crisp wheat smell. The yeast adds character. Bananas are abundant, as well as some citrus towards the end.

A noncomplicated banana taste takes this one over, with a backbone of wheat that is present but not pronounced. Chalky mouthfeel at the end.

This is a refreshing beer. Very quaffable.

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

Yum, yum, yum... I have never been a huge Hefe fan, but I am coming around, and this beauty has made me a full convert. But here's the thing -- this is somewhat creamier and fuller than your avg. Hefe, and if that's not what you're looking for in the style, than maybe this isn't for you.
But the smell is pure Weiss -- citrus spritzer, banana, maybe some vanilla -- and the taste is very similar. Not as heavy on the banana as some others I have had, and I like that. This had more citrus, maybe some orange, definitely some lemon, a little bit of clove spiciness, and again, just the faintest banana essence. The mouthfeel is so creamy and delicious, and there is no astringency or watered down character as I have found in too many Hefeweizens. And I could drink this all night. Excellent job, Garrett...

3.65/5  rDev -3.9%

Appearance: Pours a light golden amber with minor cloudiness. A thin white head appeares which does not lace the glass at all.

Smell: Notes of banana, some citrus, and minor malt tones hit the nose. Also some other estery yeast tones are noted.

Tastes: Citrus and lemon hits the palate first, with a light refreshing carbonation. Flavors of slight banana and wheat hit in the middle along with some dry biscuit notes. This beer finishes dry with a slight bite to it.

Mouthfeel: This beer is crisp and the carbonation gives it a nice little zing to it. Light body for a weisse.

Drinkability: Due to this beers lightness it is very drinkable. Flavors go together well to make this a decent summer brew.

4.34/5  rDev +14.2%

From notes taken 1/5/08.

Served fresh at the brewery while I was waiting for the tour.

A cloudy pale yellow with a finger of white head which lasted quite long.

Wonderful aroma of bananas and clove and bubble gum. This was truly fresh because usually I can't smell the bubble gum.

A wonderful palate as well. I was struck initially with a lemony bite before being lulled with a soft, bready sweetness. And then, a light fruity note of banana. Very refreshing altogether. Creamy and yet crisp.

3.7/5  rDev -2.6%

3.94/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pure white, centimeter thick head. It doesn't last long. The beer is a golden yellow and pretty clear. Good lacing. Very pleasant aroma. I would give it a 4.25 if I could: the extra quarter for the real oomph of the smell. I guess I'll round up to 4.5. The aroma is definitely the best thing about this beer. A traditional hefe, and lots of it. Wheat, lemon, spice. It tastes good, but not great. Not as chewy as I like. It feels crisp, but a little sour. Light aftertaste that makes me forget what I was drinking, not necessarily a bad thing, but it doesn't lure me back to the glass. I'll enjoy this and have again on occasion. Brooklyner Weiss on tap is one of my favorite beers... I'm disappointed with the bottle.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%