Brooklyner Weisse | Brooklyn Brewery

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by UnionMade on 08-01-2001

Reviews: 256 | Ratings: 387
4.35/5  rDev +14.2%

Yum, yum, yum... I have never been a huge Hefe fan, but I am coming around, and this beauty has made me a full convert. But here's the thing -- this is somewhat creamier and fuller than your avg. Hefe, and if that's not what you're looking for in the style, than maybe this isn't for you.
But the smell is pure Weiss -- citrus spritzer, banana, maybe some vanilla -- and the taste is very similar. Not as heavy on the banana as some others I have had, and I like that. This had more citrus, maybe some orange, definitely some lemon, a little bit of clove spiciness, and again, just the faintest banana essence. The mouthfeel is so creamy and delicious, and there is no astringency or watered down character as I have found in too many Hefeweizens. And I could drink this all night. Excellent job, Garrett...

4.34/5  rDev +13.9%

From notes taken 1/5/08.

Served fresh at the brewery while I was waiting for the tour.

A cloudy pale yellow with a finger of white head which lasted quite long.

Wonderful aroma of bananas and clove and bubble gum. This was truly fresh because usually I can't smell the bubble gum.

A wonderful palate as well. I was struck initially with a lemony bite before being lulled with a soft, bready sweetness. And then, a light fruity note of banana. Very refreshing altogether. Creamy and yet crisp.

4.34/5  rDev +13.9%

Had this on-tap at the brewery on 4/9/11.

Review taken from notes.

A - This beer pours a hazy golden yellow color. It has a nice 3-figner slightly off-white head. The head had good retention and left behind some nice lacing.

S - The smell is awesome. There is a huge banana aroma. Also, there are nice notes of spicy yeast, lemony citrus, and a touch of caramel. Great great smell.

T - The taste is great as well. It tastes just like a hefeweizen should. There are flavors of bananas, bread, yeast, citrus, and some sweet malt. The finish is nice and clean.

M - It has a medium body with crisp carbonation. It goes down very smooth and creamy. It has a great mouthfeel for the style. The finish is clean and a touch dry.

O - This had great drinkability. The flavor was great, and it goes down so easy. I could easily drink a bunch of these in a sitting. Overall, I thought this was a great beer, and I will most definitely be getting some more of this.

4.33/5  rDev +13.6%

Beautiful spring day at BT...finally! I hope winters cold grip is behind us, and stave off summers muggy, stinky breath as long as possible.

A- Typical cloudy brassy sandy brown with a good 1 " white tight bubbled head on top. No thanks on the lemon though.

S- Clovey banana bubble gum with a touch of lemony zest.

T- Just like the nose I get the same banana-gummy flavor with some clovey yeast and touch of coriander white pepper. Citrusy finish.

M- Good consistent bubbly carbonation throughout, dryish finish.

D- I really enjoy this style, makes me think of summer time. I am no expert in the german hefes, but I do endorse this beer as a great represetation of this style done by any US brewer. The spice / floral notes are very pronounced, which is not for everyone....but thoroughly enjoyed by me.

4.32/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Executive Summary: Makes me actually look forward to mowing the lawn! Slight age to the case had me worried, but I'm happy I gave it a shot. Had this one last summer at the NJ Beer Festival, and it's just as good as I remember it. Fantastic interpretation of the style. I think I've found a new summer staple!

Just bought a case of this from Shangy's in Emmaus, PA. Told it was fresh, I found later that the bottles say "Best by October '05." Figured I'd give one a shot before returning it. Glad I did!

Appearance: Pours a hazy gold/light amber into my glass, with a less fervent head than I expected, but I'll attribute some of that to the age.

Smell: Wheat, bananas, cloves. Prototypical Hefe here.

Taste: My dear Lord. Just fantastic. Good wheat backbone with a good dose of yeast. I'm not getting the bubblegum here that others have reported. Perhaps it's because mine isn't as fresh. No matter...I've got a wonderful, bright tasting Hefeweizen here.

Mouthfeel: Perfect for the style. Good, but not overpowering carbonation and moderately thin body. Wonderful for the summer!

Drinkability: Can drain bottle after bottle of this. This would be perfect for a summer BBQ. May have to remember it.

4.32/5  rDev +13.4%

I was very happy to try this beer now that it is in bottles. Wonderful fluffy white head with a vigorous pour. A little clear for it's style, but certainly enough presence of yeast floating in the glass. Aromas were wonderful, with classic bananna and clove like scents. Very fresh tasting- this would have fooled me into thinking it was from Germany had I not known. Spicey and slighty tangy, this beer is the first American made Weissbier to really match up against the Germans. A smooth beer, perfect for the warm months, as easy to drink with all kinds of food.

4.32/5  rDev +13.4%

Pale, hazy yellow with a bubbly 3 finger head that fades to a lasting ring.

Aroma is crisp and very wheaty, with hints of lemony citrus, banana, clove, and Bavarian yeast.

Flavor is exceptional for an American Hefe. Crisp wheat, lemon peel, mushy banana, light clove spice, and peppery hops make this one of my all-time summer favorites.

Body is medium, slick, and wheaty with a soft mouthfeel and infinate drinkability. Light, loose carbonation add to the slippery mouthfeel. Great stuff.

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

Hazy gold color with a nice bright white head that leaves nice lacing. Sweet malt aroma with wheat, banana, clove, lemon, and a touch of vanilla. A fruitness sets things off, followed by bread and spice. Light hops and citrus finish things off and a slight bitterness lingers. Medium in body, crisp and smooth. Easy to drink and very quenching. Very nice.

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

Appearance: Golden clear, nice white head. Fairly clear beer for a wheat. Good head retention.

Aroma: Spicy banana. Slight citrus, with a hint of corriander in the nose. Sweet aroma.

Taste: Very dry flavor. Dry up front and finishing quite dusty. A bit of fruit on the front of the tongue, but not too much. Carbonation level seems high.

Notes: The fruit and spice level doesn't come through into the taste very much, very drinkable. Good thirst quenching backyard summertime ale.

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, typical Brookyln styling in green. Best by date notched on the label, and a good description on the neck - kudos for the full set of information.

Appearance: Pours orange with some red hints and a bit of haze, average head, but good retention.

Smell: Yeasty and some malted wheat, also seems to be a bit of spice.

Taste: very nice combination of yeast notes and plent of wheat flavor, if there is spice here, it is very light and highly complimentary.

Overall impression: Nice weisse beer - good notes I expect from the style, and highly drinkable.

4.27/5  rDev +12.1%

Had on tap at the brewery.

A: Golden straw. Nice white 2 finger head.

S: Strong belgian yeast, clove and banana.

T: Excellent belgian wheat beer. Great!

M: Nicely carbed and clean.

O: Easy drinking and perfect flavors for the style. Love it.

4.27/5  rDev +12.1%

32oz growler filled at Whole Foods served in a weizen glass.

L - slightly hazed golden color with a white head that went away altogether after a few minutes.

S - heavy on the banana along with some other spices.

T - very good tasting hefe, banana, some bubblegum, wheat, yeast and spice all blended nicely.

F - medium bodied with a good level of carbonation.

O - a very good example of the style.

4.27/5  rDev +12.1%

Brooklyn's take on a hefe, paired at one of their dinners with a grilled shrimp pretzel with dual mustard sauce.

A - What you would expect from a hefe. Large, billowing head

S - Very good. Maybe I was really hungry, maybe my smell receptors were dialed up, but this had the banana/clove hefe aroma down and then some.

T - Maybe just the power of suggestion, but I tasted a bit of mustard seed along with the fruit and spice contributed by the hefe yeast.

F - A little burpy, but that's something I can't get around with hefes.

D - Good. Tasty, filling...but more than tasty enough to make you want to keep drinking.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

I liked this beer a lot.

Got a pint of it at the Brooklyn Jazz Bar in Newark Liberty International Airport. Poured in totally the wrong glass, but I won't hold that against it.

Probably one of the best hefes I've had. Nice and cloudy, a little lighter than some... no head at all, but I think that was the glass.

Great banana-and-clove smell, as befits the style. Some hoppiness in there as well, and some more sour fruits... apples or pears maybe. Also a bit more malt presence than some others.

Taste matches the aroma very well. Bananas and spices, primarily, with some grainy notes, and a slightly more bitter bite than I'm used to in a hefe weizen.

Very easy drinking for the style, and I think I wouldn't get as tired of the flavour as fast with this one than with others I've tried. Too bad it cost me $8 for the pint. Yeesh.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

A: pours a cloudy, pale, orange-yellow with a small white head that quickly reduces to a thin layer of foam and leaves almost no lace.

S: banana, cloves, spice, citrus and honey

T: honey sweetness up front, followed by a subtle banana-spice flavour that resuces, once again, to a lasting yeasty, honey-sweet aftertaste

M: light and creamy, excellent carbonation and buttey, smooth, yet-crisp citrusy finish.

D: This is a great hefe - I'm diggin' the extra honey touch on this one compared to most other Hefe's I've tried. Nice flavour, good body and very refreshing. I could see myself throwing back a few of these on many occasion in the future. Brooklyn continues to impress me.

4.23/5  rDev +11%

This is a great domestic and generally I don't go for weisse because imports as they just don't taste right. Pours a fluffy white head, that has staying power. This has the sour, mashy, wheaty flavor without a heavy after taste. Goes down smooth, slightly heavy but is definately thirst quenching. It's more complex than I'm describing, but I'm overwhelmed with a solid fondation and freshnesss. Well worth trying.

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

A- Poured a straw colored yellow with more clarity than expected for unfiltered. Small thick white head that didn't linger to long.
S- Clove heavy with undertones of bananaa and yeast.
T- Clove at first with a finish of banana and yeast. Crisp and clean and smooth.
M- Nice mouthfeel not as smooth as some hefe's but overall nice feel
D- very drinkable went well with the fish I prepared on the grill. Great beer for warmer weather. Could easily had more than one!

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

This beer pours a pale, golden, cloudy color with a decent amount of carbonation. Subtle hints of clove and banana stand out. Taste is kind of thin and somewhat watery with hints of clove and banana as well that stand out after another sip. Not a bad example of this style but I swear I've had better ones.

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

The beer was a hazy golden color with the typical large hefe head and plenty of lacing. The aroma was a strong base of wheat with the usual citrus undertone and a hint of clove. The taste is all hefe with the characteristic citrus flavor and a hint of banana, I think. I really liked this beer. I haven't had many Brooklyn beers but if they're all as good as this, I will be drinking a lot more. The mouthfeel is especially cleansing with that citrusy ting. I could have had many of these but the day was young and there were other bars to visit.

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

23 oz pour at the JFK Airport pub. Hazy, dark yellow to golden color. Big creamy fluffy off-white head, specs and holes in it. Sticky. Lots of usual spot on for the style smells of cloves, herbs, sweetness and bananas. Taste was crisp and refreshing with a sublte spiciness to it. Definitly a tart citrus crispness that matched the full weisse bananas sweetness. Light to medium body, very easy going down. No harsness, a true weiss, and very good for the style. I really enjoyed this one. Bit pricey though about $8.50 for a beer.

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

Rubbed my eyes when I saw this six pack available at McLean Ave Dist in Yonkers NY. I've enjoyed it at the Brewery on Friday nights and at bars, but never seen retail.

Poured into Heffe glass with small but tight amber head. Body is cloudy dark tan and orangesque. Well balanced carbonation as it breathes.

The smell of fruit with emphasis on orange is detectable. More than likely Garrett has cloves and bananas within as well.

T: This is where the show really picks up folks. This could be the best American Weiss I have ever had out of a bottle. Medium to strong wheat meets your pallet. Rich complexity of the beer comes through in the 2nd aftertaste. This is where the darkesh hue cloudy color came through with spades.

M: Smooth and tight.

D: As easy as rolling out of bed. Has some tartness at the end.

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

The beer pours a cloudy golden wheat color, topped with a big, frothy white head. I had some yeast sediment in the bottom of my bottle, so i don't know about this being unfiltered. Not as cloudy as some weiss beers I've had, but still attractive. Great head retention, keeping a thick foam.
Aroma is excellent, with plenty of clove and some banana. Clove is very pronounced, with a pleasing spiciness. Soft wheat malt, with a bit of yeasty aroma. A bit of phenolic thinner-like feel you get with real german weissbiers. A bit mild and subdued, not quite up to speed with the imported versions, but definitely a fine rendition from an american brewery.
Flavor is very light and refreshing. A soft, gentle wheat malt caresses your tongue with a sparkly effervescence, giving way to a rich, almost cloying, estery phenolic fruitiness. Moderate banana, with a hint of bubblegum. Spicy clove follows, finishing the beer with a resurfacing wheat presence and some powdery yeast. A lingering maltiness, leaving a powdery, dusty yeasty feel in your mouth. Nice and dry in the finish. Extremely satisfying on a hot summer day.
Easily one of the best domestic wheat ales this summer. Not quite up to the standard of Schneider or Ayinger hefeweisens, but very good. I thoroughly enjoyed the single i bought, and promptly went back for a six pack.

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

A: Nice cloudyness, fluffy white head, but disipates quickly.

S: Mostly citrus and yeast with some malty sweetness.

T: Initally banana sweetness, followed by quick yeast nuttyness. Malty aftertaste and some cirtusy yeast, in conjuction with a slight bitterness.

M: Moderatly full, small bubbles, good carbonation, mouth watering finish, which I like.

D: Hefes are bound to score pretty high, here. Light and refreshing, but I can't take too much hefe flavor after awhile.

Good overall flavor, though not as complex as some hefes. Still really good, especially for the price.

4.19/5  rDev +10%

Pours a slightl hazy golden/orange with pretty thin head,nice aroma of citruis and cloves and malted wheat nice array going on there.Very refrrshing brew lots of lemon with a light spice and a wheaty taste in the finish and aftertaste,very nice.One of the better wheat beers I have had in awhile and its American to boot.Could drink these under the sun with ease.

4.19/5  rDev +10%

Very good American brewed wheat... bavarian style. I'm often skeptical of a american brewed weisse, but this was damn good. The clove was slighty overshadowed by the banana, but I love my fermenting ester flavors so I dug it. it's pour was too filtered, for claiming to be unfiltered and too bottle carbonated- the pitfall of most popular american heffeweizen (Widmer-UFO)... But the taste was nice banana ester, but not as strong as the nose. I would recommend this beer both as a meal beer and a drinking man's beer, versatile and a solid wheat... not too fruity, but not to plain...too carbonated, but I imagine a great american/bavarian weisse on tap. I think it's a premire brooklyn brew.

Brooklyner Weisse from Brooklyn Brewery