Brooklyner Weisse | Brooklyn Brewery

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by UnionMade on 08-01-2001

Reviews: 256 | Ratings: 387
3.48/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured a slightly cloudy, deep, golden orange with a good foamy head. The scent of citrus and honey stand out, tiny hint of spice and the expected banana.
The citrus continues on into the flavor, more lemon than orange. It is a smooth easy going beer. There is a lot going on but none of it is overpowering, just refreshing, nice.
Mouthfeel is good, not sticky and sweet.
No complaints here, I am a fan of the white brews and this is a decent one.

3.52/5  rDev -7.6%

Had a class of this at the Brooklyn Brewery brewhouse on tap.

A-cloudy gold body and a thick white head

S-strong veggie smell overpowers other things

T-spicy front and lemony in the middle, the finish is kind of like bubble gum

M-light and highly carbonated

D-mine was a little too cold to enjoy but as it warmed up it was quite pleasant.

3.52/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a cloudy and pale golden color with a thin white head of foam. Fruity bubblegum comes through in the aroma. The flavor is bubble-licious, slightly touched with sour cherries and yeasty. Maybe even a hint of band-aids in there. The body is light and the beer goes down easy enough. A somewhat flavorful and drinkable wheat beer. A bit middle of the road and muddled. Expected a bit more I guess.

3.52/5  rDev -7.6%

Served in a pub glass. Pours a light pale yellow with small white frothy head that thins quickly into a small ring. No lacing. Large amount of tight carbonation throughout drinking.

Smells: Mild wheat, primarily yeasty/bready smell. Light banana, clove, and citrus. I'm not sure if I smell ginger or not.

Tastes as smells. Tastes more yeasty than anything. It is very light on the banana, clove, and citrus tastes. It came off of as a lightly flavored wheat beer than a hefe. I also taste a vague corn syrup taste. The clove and banana come through as clove oil and banana oil, almost an afterthought.

Mouthfeel/drinkability: Light bodied, pleasant light oiliness and lightly dry citrus finish. I would have preferred a little more body and mouthfeel from this beer. Easy to drink; easy to session, but if you looking for a good, serioud hefe, you probably will be disappointed. Good lawn mower beer though.

This is by far the worst Brooklyn Brew that I've had. I can't seem to stop drinking the others to sit down and geek them (especially the stout.)

3.53/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

In fairly typical fashion, this one pours a slightly hazy golden colour with a moderate white head that leaves a minimal amount of residue on the glass and dissolves fairly quickly.

The aroma is a mild wheat, fruit mix with some citrus and banana holding down the fruit aspect here. Yeast is present as well in a pretty big way. Basic, but effective overall.

The flavour is basically more of the same with a nice yeast/fruity balance (banana leading the way again), and even a touch more candy sweetness to boot. Again, simple but tasty. The mouthfeel is a touch above average...a bit crisp at times and a bit not.

I liked this one as it's just solidly tasty without trying anything fancy. It won't wow you but you'll enjoy it nonetheless as it hits well on key aspects of the style. A nice offering from Brooklyn overall.

3.53/5  rDev -7.3%

Best before 10/06 notched-out of the label.

Pours a cloudy-hazy golden orange with a bright white 1/2" with visible carbonation. Not really any lacing to speak of.

A funky straw earthiness is present in the nose, along with a bland cereal-like maltiness. I swirl my pounder pint glass and catch some lemony-citrus notes.

Nice clove flavors along with a stony mineral-like flavor. Not much banana or bubblegum, but there's the bright citrus edge which is nice. Flavors seem a bit muted seeing this is touted as a 'traditional Bavarian style wheat beer'.

Mouthfeel is spot-on for a wheat. Playful carbonation and a tad bit lighter in body that lets say a 'traditional Bavarian style wheat beer'.

Drinkability is very good. Quenchingly perfect for this mid-80s early evening.

A good wheat beer. Just good. I'd love to try this on-tap at the source. Until then, I'll stick with the Weihenstephaner, as long as it's FRESH.

3.54/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Caught somewhere between a German Hefeweizen and an American Wheat Ale, Brooklyn Brewery's Weisse is grainy-sweet with a balance that hinges on the success of citrus fruit and supple spice.

Pouring a pale and hazy straw color, the cloudy ale releases a cottony white head that quivers before folding back into the glass hardly midway through the session. Its short-lived lacing dissolves quickly and leaves the beer looking somewhat dull before long.

A light musty-wheat note plays on the nose while background lemon candy sweetness and clove. Grain and white pepper follow closely behind in taste, just as the taste of bread and dough build. Lemons, apples, and musty apricots pronouce until a bubblegummy middle reaches a crescendo and the dry peppery character dictates after that.

Its bready upstart unfortunately recedes to watery proportions and grainy-sweetness in the middle before the alcohol and spice carry its finish. If not for that unforgivable middle palate, the beer could be relevent in its class. Its much more of an American Wheat Ale than it is a Hefeweizen.

3.55/5  rDev -6.8%

A - Orange/Amberish color. I'd compare it to the color of rust on a car. Let's hope it doesn't taste like rust, although, I've never tasted rust before... it just can't be good and we will leave it at that. The head was a nice quarter to half inch head, but I'm not sure because it dissipated so quickly and left no trail of lacing. The head went away so quickly it's like someone pulled a magic trick in front of my eyes.. I'm not even sure if one was there to begin with. (Okay you get my point)

S - Some people say this is the most citrusy beer they have ever smelled. Yeah, I don't get the same feeling. Sure theres some citrus in there, but it doesn't dominate the smell by no means. Lemon for sure, with some spice. Theres also so banana. I don't really feel anything special from the smell.

T - So far neither the appearance or scent really did anything for me. Hopefully the taste can be a lot better than I'm starting to feel like it's going to be. *Long pause* Little bit of hop bitterness I must say. Some orange and banana. Little spicy. Definitely didn't expect this at all. (Not that it's necessarily bad, it just caught me off guard.) I was expecting something a little bit more sweet. I feel like the finish of the beer is really missing something. I'm not sure what it is, but I really feel like I was just waiting for a taste of something else and I never got it. I guess you could say it falls a little flat. No aftertaste at all. I keep forgetting what it tastes like until I get another mouthful.

M - Carbonation is crisp. The beer feels really light. It's just odd how the taste drops off so quickly. I'm not a huge fan of that.

D - Very drinkable beer. Goes down very easy, and they leave you wanting more with the way you can't savor the taste. Could easily have a couple of these.

3.56/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into Samuel Adams Noble Pils branded pilsner glass.

Appearance: Cloudy golden-brown color with a slight amber hue. Smaller white head that dissipates quickly and doesn't leave behind any lace. Doesn't really look at all like a hefeweizen.

Smell: Smells of banana bread with some grapes and citrus in the background.

Taste: Begiins tasting of grape, rounding out to banana and yeast before finishing with zesty orange and lemon. There is an undertone, though, that reveals more of an American-style ale character and less hefeweizen. Not a bad thing, but something that docks just a little bit when trying to score to style.

Mouthfeel: Light body with natural carbonation and a watery, refreshing finish.

Overall: A good interpretation of its style, but lacking just a little bit. This also doesn't seem like a "true" hefeweizen, and definitely has a lot of American character. Still sessionable and worth a try, though.

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Serving glass: Poured from tap into tulip.

Appearance: Hazy orange gold with nice head and some lacing.

Smell: Wheat mostly, with some clove and spice.

Taste: Strong wheat malt base, with a spicy hop and clove finish. Banana is limited.

Feel: High carbonation, light body, dry finish. Crisp and refreshing.

Overall: The Hefe yeast is either muted or non existent, as this seems to be an American Wheat. Good, but would have preferred the esters. Not sure if this is a batch issue, as others have noticed a more pronounced, traditional Hefe yeast. Will try again if it appears again on tap near me (or if bottled again). Regardless, it is still enjoyable.

3.58/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bright yellow hue gives off an iridescent look. The body was slightly hazy with tons of carbonation.

The scent was nice but light with bits of lemon and clove.

The taste and feel we're very much intertwined with strong bubbly expression. Almost champagne like, the bubbles lifted the flavor off of the tongue and dampened any real taste. Touches of lemony sweetness, banana and clove were present but hard to detect because of the large amount of carbonation. Overall, I wonder if I simply got a lovely batch or there's more hiding in this that I just missed.

3.58/5  rDev -6%

A-Yellow cloudy looks like a hefe should. Tight white head fades to thin coat consistenly over five minutes or so.

S- Banana, pear, clove, yeast wheat, husk

T-crisp, banana and pear, almost sweet, clove, wheat.

M-Smooth creamy perfect carbonation.

D-Not my style but pretty good within this style

3.58/5  rDev -6%

I had this on tap at Hard Times Cafe in Woodbridge, Virginia.

A: Poured a cloudy moderate to light yellow color, with tons of carbonation, and about 2 fingers worth of head which stayed at least a froth throughout the session.

S: Bananas, cloves, and a little bit of honeydew melon embedded in the fruity madness.

T: I have had a lot of saisons lately and had to remind myself that I was not drinking one of those, but a hefeweizen. Medium bodied, with a bit of fruit (banana) and spices, but the overall product is a tad watery. After a few drinks, I started to get that hefe "bubble gum" aftertaste, but only after I searched for it.

M: Okay.... no real qualms here. Nice carbonation in general.

D: Not a bad hefeweizen, and considering Brooklyn's track record for making lighter brews IMO (Brooklyn Lager is awesome!), I was a bit disappointed.

3.59/5  rDev -5.8%

Decided to pick up this brew more or less based on the cost. The brew poured into a traditional Hefeweizen glass with a nice sized white head that broke down very fast and left little to no lacing. The aroma was pretty nice, good amount of banana and some bubble gum and zest of lemon. Nice yeast aroma. Was highlighted by the banana and other fruit like flavors as well as a light spiciness. Pretty crisp feel as the carbonation is adequate. Over all this is a pretty good brew, while nothing to truly write home about this is an above average Hefe.

3.59/5  rDev -5.8%

Brooklyner Weisse is a hazy, lighter golden beer with a thin, dense, elastic, white head that shows nice retention and lacing. There is wet grass and spicy tones in the aroma. It smells a little dank and cave-like. Possibly apricot or plum in the nose. It has a soft and foamy medium-light body with a dry finish. It tastes sour, with lits of clove flavor. The is a note of dark bread and isoamyl acetate is pretty prominent. The bitterness is wooden and balanced well with the other flavors. There's a little cooking wine in the aftertaste. It's pretty light drinking, but it's reasonably engaging. It tastes like it's from Germany, like a Weienstephaner or something.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Brooklyn Brewery? Hefeweizen? This can't help but be good, I'm sure...

Not so fast, my friend. It poured a golden color with a thin, white head--pretty strange looking for a hefeweiss, with no trace of cloudyness and only a little drop of yeast. There's little depth to this one, which has a nice, wheaty flavor with hints of citrus and spice, but not much else. On the plus side, it is very drinkable, and enjoyable--even if it is a touch simplistic.

I blame myself for expecting too much from what is a good but not great beer.

12oz. bottle

Pours a hazy pale straw color with a small white head that thins. Mild lacing on the glass.

Aroma is a subdued yeasty/breadiness with light hints of clove and banana, with a touch of vanila.

Tastes like it smells - like a junior version of a hefeweizen. There is a light yeasty/bready flavor upfront with mild clove and banana. The vanilla is actually more pronounced in the flavor and lingers a bit at the finish. Refreshing on a warm eveing.

Light body, solid carbonation.

This beer is quite drinkable and does have a very pleasant taste. But, when considering the style in my review, it's just a very tame version of what a real hefeweizen should be. My scores for this beer don't reflect my true enjoyment, as I just can't score it on par with the standards for this stye such as Weihenstephaner.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer poured with a nice fluffy head, it was cloudy, or "hazy" as the label states. I could definitely smell the yeast (this is good), and upon first sip, I could definitely taste the yeast (also something good for a weisse), however, something very strange happened; the sips which followed seemed to lose some of that initial flavor. I can say, this is a nice summer beer when you want something refreshing and not heavy.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a hazed golden with some orange highlights. Whitish head, dies pretty fast. Some wheaty, bready, fruity aromas, but rather subdued. Tastes rather thin, but has a good weisse feel to it. Seems to lack the yeasty character that most other weissbiers have, but makes up for it in the fruitiness. Pretty good, though.

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from 12 oz bottle to Weizen glass a hazy golden color with a white head and clingy lace. Smells of bananna and cloves with wheat bread malts. Tastes a bit tart at first and then mellows with wheat flavor and some fruitiness but not as much as expected from the nose. It is slighty watery in the feel but a good choice for a summer's day. A respectable showing of the style here from Brooklyn.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I bought this on the cheap ($2.50 for a sixpack) from my local beerporium, likely because it's marked "best before January '08". Oh well, we'll see how its age affects its flavor. It poured a darkish yellow with copper highlights with a single-finger head and some aggressive visible carbonation. The smell is pretty fruity, with some orange and banana and some wheat smell. The taste starts off with some orange and banana that gives way to some spices and an interesting amount of floral taste. The mouthfeel is a little watery with decent amount of very fine carbonation that makes for a very crisp feeling. This is a very drinkable beer, and doesn't seem to have suffered from its age. I'd love to try it on tap somewhere to compare.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had on tap at the Country Corner in Setauket, NY. Served in a pint glass. I ordered it because I thought it was going to be similar to the Brooklyner Schneider Hopfen Weisse brew that I had in my early craft days and loved, but it turns out its a hefeweizen instead of a weizenbock.

Look: hazy to the point of murky, yellow body with a thin white head. The head doesn't retain for longer than a few minutes before disappearing entirely and doesn't leave any lacing behind.

Smell: not detecting any banana or clove aromas, which adds to the fact that I didn't think this was a hefeweizen. Sweet, bready malt with a bit of wheat and a touch of spice are the aromas I get in the nose.

Taste: again, falls short for the style. A bit of grain, pale malt, some wheat, and a bit of a bitter tang that is almost sour really stands out in the finish. This made be wonder if this wasn't a Berliner Weisse.

Feel: medium towards thin, lightly carbonated, and a bit sour and bitter.

Drink: still quite easy drinking. I had no problems finishing my pint but I did pick something different after my first pint.

Overall, this beer is okay but nothing special. I'm not a huge hefeweizen fan to begin with but this doesn't seem to fit the style for me. The banana and clove taste are the things I look for first and foremost in my hefeweizens and both seemed absent. I did think I enjoyed it more than my score will indicate but I was trying to review it against the style. There are much better Brooklyn beers available so I would select one of those. Cheers!

Bottle.

Pours a cloudy gold, fluffy white head.

Nose is banana and bubblegum, yeasty, bit of wheat.

Taste is fairly standard fare for a Weiss - crisp and light, lot of bubblegum and banana from the yeast, dry as a result, crisp finish. The wheat comes through a bit harshly. It's a nice enough package, but the why it all hits together is just a bit off.

Light bodied, Crisply carbonated.

Still, I can always drink a good hefe, and this certainly qualifies.

3.62/5  rDev -5%

served in 12 oz. bottle.
apperance is somewhat cloudy. nice banana and clove yeasty smell. the taste is good, but restrained. the german hefeweizens still pack more punch but this a good beer. very light mouthfeel and body. very drinkable, especially in hot muggy weather.
i recommend this. it will have a lot of crossover appeal with non-beergeeks.

3.62/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Minimally hazy apricot with multiple bubble streams leading up to a good-sized cap of creamy beige. Weisse is darker than most hefe weizens and could probably pass for an IPA if the lights were low. Although the head is persistent, it has a nearly featureless surface and isn't exactly wowing me with lace.

The nose is nicely aromatic and fits the style to a capital 'T'. There's plenty of fruit (banana) and spice (clove), even through several fingers of froth. If the flavor profile follows suit, this will be one of the better domestic hefes that I've had.

I'm not sure what it is, but BW falls short of greatness. Goodness is debatable, while better than average is not. Maybe the dark color is leading me astray, but the beer tastes like an amber ale-hefe weizen hybrid. I wonder if less barley malt and more wheat would help.

A lightly toasted graininess holds down the bottom end while bruised banana and a moderate amount of clove occupy the top end. Things are mildly sweet early and mildly bitter late, with tangy-sour keeping its nose out in front at all points along the way. While this is an enjoyable ale, I wish the pieces fit together a little more tightly.

The mouthfeel is smack dab medium, fading to light-medium on the swallow. An acceptable amount of carbonation gets the job done without being flashy about it. Unfortunately, the expansive light creaminess that I look for in beer of this style is noticeably absent.

Brooklyner Weisse is decent beer that does nothing to stand out from the hefe weizen crowd. I wish I could be more specific about why I don't love it, but it just doesn't float my boat. If you're looking for something both delicious and thirst quenching from Brooklyn, I'd suggest either Lager or Pilsner.

Brooklyner Weisse from Brooklyn Brewery