Brooklyn Brown Ale | Brooklyn Brewery

Added by purplehops on 06-10-1998

Ratings: 2,362 |  Reviews: 957

1.25/5  rDev -65.9%

1.3/5  rDev -64.6%

Another taste of the "excessive hops nation".

This brown ale had a very good taste, right out of the bottle. Satisfying. But as I drank each additional sip, I began to notice an aftertaste of unknown taste. It was sort of smokey or bready or some extra taste like that. Not bad, but it did not add anything good to the taste. There certainly was the ever present hops taste, but not as much bitterness as I have found in others (ie - Sierra Nevada and Sweetwater put 17 lbs of hops in each bottle - YUCK!!!) and that was a welcome improvement.

The beer sells itself with the note on the bottle that tells you to look for the "chocolate and coffee" tastes. Really? I have eaten chocolate and drank coffee. They aint there. I did taste a small - SMALL - taste of what I would call dark chocolate, or maybe more exact - bakers chocolate. It was bitter and reminded me of that chocolate taste. Not what I need in my beer. If I want a chocolate taste, I know where they sell chocolate bars. I'll get one.

Brewers - Please just make beer. Stop all the floral, cinnamon, coffee, chocolate, HOPS OVERLOAD, nutmeg. rosemary, tumeric, etc., etc., etc.,etc., etc., etc.,etc...............................

No, I will not buy this one again. It was better, but not something I care to drink again.

Time to get back to German beer and their care and love of making beer, real beer, that tastes like beer.

Wow. Imagine that "crazy" idea.

1.5/5  rDev -59.1%

1.5/5  rDev -59.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

1.75/5  rDev -52.3%

Eye Candy: Pored a very thin, translucent brown color. Thin head initially, vanished after 2 minutes +/- 30 seconds adjusted to error. No lacing to speak of. Purchased fresh on tap, purchased on a "fire sale", character did not change.

The Nose Knows: Thin, thin, and more thin. This is supposed to be a brown, more like a brown in the Natty Ice tradition. Very minimal malts emerged, some caramel was detected. Simply put, Brooklyn Brown is bland.

Tongueland: Nothing there. Like I said above, thin, thin, and more thin. Bland.

Bender Factor: This poor example was on sale recently for $2.50/ pint at my local watering hole, I wonder why. Never again.

1.93/5  rDev -47.4%

Brewed with 2-row, caramel, chocolate, biscuit, and wheat malts. Hopped with Cascade, Willamette, and Northern Brewer.
5.5% ABV.

Pours out to a sparkingly clear deep mahogany with chestnut accents, forming a modest dark-beige head with average retention and very nice lacing. Carbonation is medium. Aroma is actually enticing, something I've not come to expect from this brewery...sweet amber malts predominate, a modest amount of likeable diacetyl (which I normally abhor), some mild earthen hops, vanila extract, and faint milk chocolate. Mouthfeel is initially wet, but quickly becomes ruddy and oxidized with a dry finish and medium body. Taste begins nice enough with very herbal hops, but quickly becomes overpowered by fusel alcohols, nasty buttery diacetyl, and the taste of dank musty cardboard. Finish is woody and leathery like a sofa from the 70's. Aluminum vats and caustic cleaners linger in the aftertaste.

This is my least favorite style, but truly....this is acrid, horrible stuff. This qualifies as "down-the-sink" material. Stay away.

2.01/5  rDev -45.2%

went to a non local shop with selection I would rate as below par. couldn't find anything cold that I would usually buy. decided to try Brooklyn brown ale. usually buy stronger browns but none to be had. 5.6 abv figured it to be fizzy watery brown ale. absolutely right . smells bad, tastes bad, not something I would waste money on. there are plenty of better brown ales out there . no reason to buy again.

2.04/5  rDev -44.4%

I am new to this forum and wish that I could post reviews privately as it is not my intention to influence or inform others but to remind myself. I am not a beer tasting expert and do not know the proper etiquette or vocabulary.

This said, I found the Brooklyn Brown Ale to be pretty in the glass when poured. The color is rich and the head sturdy. I was disappointed though by the thinner than expected and less full bodied flavor overwhelmed by what seemed to be too much carbonation for this brown ale. The ale left only a slight bitter aftertaste on the palate but a less than satisfying overall taste and experience.

I will not purchase in quantity but would drink if offered or even order as the first beer in a steak or barbeque restaurant if better options are not available.

2.06/5  rDev -43.9%

Halfway between a dirty peanut and an earthworm. Muted musty cedar. Splash of weak caramels and cheap black tea. Thin sweet nut-skin finish. I just don't get it. Thin, bland sweetness. I have tried this one on a number of occasions and although it strikes me a little differently each time, and is usually better on draft, I never really enjoy it.

2.06/5  rDev -43.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Paint the city Brooklyn Brown. Pours an opaque brown with amber hues throughout. A decent pour left a soft head with some larger bubbles. Not much lacing but ok retention.

The nose is light over all but some malty notes. Caramel and chocolate mostly but some lighter bready qualities as well. A big oxidation that really is off setting for everything. Some lighter yeasty and earth hop notes as well.

The taste continues much like the nose but its hard to get past the cardboard oxidation flavors. Some minor chocolate notes and a touch of astringency. Some lighter earthy and woody flavors as well.

The body is closer to mid than light. Looking for more body as there is a watery, wispy flavor. Overall really the cardboard flavor is just obnoxious.

Brooklyn Brown Ale from Brooklyn Brewery