Brooklyn Brown Ale | Brooklyn Brewery

Style: American Brown Ale

Added by purplehops on 06-10-1998

Ratings: 2,370 |  Reviews: 957
3.61/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, dated best by 6/11, served in a pint glass.

Pours a very dark mahogany but not opaque. Clear with 1+ finger of tan head. Head settles to a thin top coat rather quickly.

Surprisingly fruity aroma {investigating, I find there are some "Belgian aromatic malts" in here}, with a mix of toasted malts.

Taste - certainly some hops in with the malt; plenty of dark roast malt flavor. Aromatic fruitiness not evident in flavor, but it does have hints of coffee, burnt toast and roasted nuts (mainly walnut). Medium duration dark roasted malt finish with some hop bitterness.

M - good carbonation; smooth but [too] thin body; somewhat dry.

O - mostly recommended for its fine aroma and rich malty flavor.

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

3.97/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light brown color with a very thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of chocolate, coffee and roasted malt with a decent amount of hops in the background.

T: The taste starts out with a good roasted malt character, which seems significantly lighter than most beers in the style and definitely not as sweet, along with flavors of chocolate, coffee & nuts. A nice hops presence quickly follows and provides an excellent balance. The after-taste is bitter-sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, clean finish.

D: Very tasty, goes down easily, not very filling, good representation of style, this is a good beer to stick with for an evening and overall is pretty good beer.

3.82/5  rDev +5.2%

Nice color very little head,nice chocolaty aroma.Nice malty/cocolate flavors with earthy undertones just like a good brown should be.Finished nicelel didnt thin out towards the end like alot of brown ales do.Really enjoyed will have again,hopefully soon.

4.3/5  rDev +18.5%

A - Nice, light brown head that settles to a nice film of foam. Medium brown body with good clarity.

S - Toffee malt aroma with some caramel. Spicy hops with a hint of mocha.

T - Nutty malt with a smooth, spicy hop flavor. Subtle chocolate and caramel flavors in the middle with a malty finish and moderate hop/malt bitterness.

M - Smooth, moderately thick body with medium carbonation. Slight alcohol warmth in the finish.

D - A very drinkable and flavorful brown ale. Easily one of the best examples of the style that I have experienced.

3.7/5  rDev +1.9%

3.78/5  rDev +4.1%

Golden brown in the glass. Rather nicely sudsy mouthfeel. Pleasant aroma of roasted malt. Lots of nutty, browned barley. Some dark burnt malt lurks in the background along with a reclusive bitter touch. Slightly sweet with a hint of tartness.

A hint of pecans and slightly buttery. Slight hoppiness in the aftertaste gives an interesting edge. Quite rich and lively, especially for a Brown Ale. Thoroughly quaffable. A 12-oz bottle from the mixed 12-pack bought in Lubbock, Texas.

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

3.52/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.19/5  rDev -39.7%

First had: on tap at Casey's, Newtown Square, PA

Mediocre at best, as mostly every brown ale I've ever tried. Poured mahogany with quickly receding whitish head. Mostly malty nose. Taste is thin, nutty and malty, watery, with a bit of sweetness. Light mouthfeel, and not very drinkable...just not my style.

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

3.52/5  rDev -3%

A - Deep cherry amber color. Off-white head sits low with poor lace.

S - Semi-sweet. Brown suar and oak. Raisiny malt. Slightly sour backnotes.

T - Nutty malt. Pine and wood hop character. Oak-line dryness. Light raisin backend.

M - Med body with a semi-dry finish.

O - A nice session beer with a nice flavor.

3.48/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

3.85/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.82/5  rDev +5.2%

Modest head that leaves low level lace. The color is neutral brown--appears clear.

Warm caramel aroma with a touch of chocolate. Light hop in the background.

The taste reminds me of a pale ale with lots of crystal malts. Pleasant hop finish--still this is a malty beer with light chocolate malts. Relatively thin liquor.

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

Appearance: Dark red-brown body with a tan head that disappeared almost instantly.

Smell: A nearly nonexistent aroma of chocolate and cherries.

Taste: Indistinct, weak tastes of chocolate and coffee with traces of bitterness leading into a dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Slightly watery.

Drinkability: Very average. Far too bland and ordinary for me to seek out again in the future.

4.48/5  rDev +23.4%

It must speak volumes about my dedication to both CANs and AIPAs that it has taken me over 2,600 reviews before I have gotten around to this one. I am trying to reduce my backlog of bottles so that I may resume The CANQuest (TM) in earnest. Please bear with me in the interim.

From the bottle: "Brewed in New York"; "Ruby mahogany in color, Brooklyn Brown Ale is richer and hoppier than its mild and malty English forebears. Chocolate and coffee flavors punctuate the roasty malt background. Brooklyn Brown is brewed with malted barley, hops, water, and yeast, and will taste best before the freshness date indicated."

Chez Woody's kitchen is much like the alley at the beginning of each episode of "King of the Hill" - nothing happens until the CAN is cracked, the bottle cap is popped, the keg is tapped and pouring, etc. The bottle is like my Old Lady at this point - sweating in anticipation of my touch and ready to pop. Boom! The rush of liquid into my glass was fascinating, creating a big, rolling pseudo-cascade as I watched. Like most males, I am a very visual learner and I was transfixed by the creation of two-plus fingers of dense, light-tan head with great retention. I held it up to the naural light of the day to behold and I was not disappointed. I fully agree with "mahogany", but I might substitute "garnet" for "ruby" (SRM = > 27, < 34) as I need to put my own stamp on this review. Otherwise, I might just do a cut 'n' paste and call it a day. Did they mention clarity? No. I will classify it as "button-bright" and leave it at that. The nose was malty, sure, but cut with a minty, grassy hoppiness. Remind me, why have I not reviewed this until now? Mouthfeel was full and creamy and the taste was like Baby Bear's Brown Ale - just right! The malt was present, but not cloying and the hops were in the mix, but not overwhelming. I have had English Brown Ales that were sickeningly sweet and American Brown Ales that caused me to wonder if the brewer knows when to take his foot off of the gas when it comes to hops. Finish was smooth, semi-dry and eminently drinkable. I do not often drink Brown Ales, but when I do, Brooklyn Brown is my choice. Stay crazy, my friends.

3.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark cherry-chestnut that becomes lucent dark cherry with tangerine trim when light enters the glass. It didn't appear as if much head was being generated during the pour, but the end result is a two finger disk of faded sandalwood. The foam is melting unevenly and looks especially creamy as it does so. Thin, broken sheets of lace end up on the glass.

I know that brown ales don't usually have the olfactory power and presence of stouts, or even porters, but this one could use some giddy-up-and-go. It smells like gently roasted malt and barely toasted nuts, with no hops that I can detect. My hope is that the nose is having an off day and that the flavor has brought its 'A' game.

Several mouthfuls later... it looks like the flavor has brought its 'B-' game. There isn't enough malt to satisfy me; something that should have been obvious from the luceny of the beer and the weak nose. BBA tastes like heavily toasted brown bread sprinkled with cocoa powder. Rich chocolate is nowhere to be found. It's still sort of walnut nutty, with a little fruity hoppiness for good measure.

The beer's lightness isn't the sole reason for my lack of enthusiasm. The flavor never really finds its stride and doesn't grab me the way the best versions do. Brooklyn Brown is neither sweet, nor bitter, nor sour. If forced to pick one, I'd say that it's mildly sweet.

The mouthfeel is light-medium; starting out near the latter and finishing near the former. Again, more malt please. As could have been predicted from the pour, carbonation is a bit lacking. All in all, the mouthfeel lacks substance and excitement, although I'll keep style in mind and won't be too critical.

Early on, I wasn't overly thrilled with Brooklyn Brewery beer. The two that I had prior to this one (Pilsner and Lager) were excellent, especially Lager, so my hopes were on the high side for Brown Ale. It's definitely better than average, but better browns shouldn't be that hard to find, no matter where you happen to live.

3.58/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a deep brown color with 2-3 inches of light tan head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of chocolate, roasted malts, and caramel malts.

t - Tastes of roasted malts, caramel malts, chocolate, and some hops.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Pretty smooth.

d - A nice brown ale. Some nice roasted malts and chocolate in the smell and taste. Would have again

Brooklyn Brown Ale from Brooklyn Brewery