Brooklyn Brown Ale | Brooklyn Brewery

Style: American Brown Ale

Added by purplehops on 06-10-1998

Ratings: 2,357 |  Reviews: 953
3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

Appearance is, well, brown of course, with good clarity. A two-finger head with pretty good retention, some spotty lacing. Straightforward aroma that features caramel and toffee. Bright floral character from the American hops used.

Caramel malt dominates on the palate too, then hops pick up and linger for a bit up til the dry, bitter finish. Slight undertone of coffee. Mouthfeel is slick and nicely carbonated, though the bubbles are a bit harsh.

Brooklyn Brown (bottled) is a solid brown ale that never "wows" you, but it's a good representation of an American brown available in a sixer at a good price. It's likely that this is even better in draft form as opposed to the contract-brewed bottled version, as I've found that this has been the case with other Brooklyn Brewery offerings.

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

Picked this up recently since it's the one of the last of Brooklyn's portfolio that I have yet to review on here. Newcastle Brown Ale was one of the first beers that got me turned on to what was out there beyond BMC, and I thought this might taste a bit like it. It's been a while since I've "visited the castle", and I don't remember that tasting anything like what I'm having tonight. Additionally, I'm having a hard time pinpointing this beer's flavor and mouthfeel...

It poured a lot thinner than what I was expecting. There wasn't much of a head to be seen, and the lacing was nowhere to be found. I enjoyed the rich, deep mahogany hue, but the mouthfeel left a bit to be desired for. It was thin, hoppier than I pictured, and a bit lacking in it's notes. I could detect some caramel, nut, and chocolate, but none of them stood out from any of the others. There's not a lot of visible carbonation here, but I can certainly taste it, and the mouthfeel is very sharp and punctual; like the Brooklyn Lager. This is warming me nicely on this cold night, but I was hoping for a bit more depth and introspection from this beer.

The 5.50% ABV is fitting for this, even though I could detect it during my first few sips. During my late-night drinking sessions in cold weather, I usually prefer stouts, winter warmers, or winter wheats. This suffices nicely, but after sampling nearly everything that Brooklyn brews, I had high expectations for this. This is enjoyable, but there's just a certain something missing here. Nevertheless, I'm glad they have this on their roster - I wish I had this style of beer more often.

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

Brooklyn Brewery makes some solid beers, usually nothing spectacular mind you, but always good beers for sharing with others.

Its brown ale is no exception, offering a much lighter, more drinkable brown ale than is often found. This style can lean toward either over-carbonated Coca-Cola or a thicker, maltier beer. Brookyn's Brown falls somewhere in between and it's a nice middle ground.

The appearance and smell are average: dark brown with decent retention, though barely cloudy enough and the aroma needs a bit more waft -- presently its closest to potatoes.

But the taste has a studied simplicity to it, mostly of unsalted peanuts and buttered starches. The brewery deserves points for not making the beer overly sweet.

This is a nice brown ale to try for someone stretching out their beer palette.

Brooklyn Brown Ale from Brooklyn Brewery