Brooklyn Brown Ale | Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery
New York, United States
brooklynbrewery.com

Style: American Brown Ale

This is the award-winning original American brown ale, first brewed as a holiday specialty, and now one of our most popular beers year-round. Northern English brown ales tend to be strong and dry, while southern English brown ales are milder and sweeter. Brooklyn Brown Ale combines the best of those classic styles and then adds an American accent in the form of a firm hop character and roasty palate. A blend of six malts, some of them roasted, give this beer its deep russet-brown color and complex malt flavor, fruity, smooth and rich, with a caramel, chocolate and coffee background. Generous late hopping brings forward a nice hop aroma to complete the picture. Brooklyn Brown Ale is full-flavored but retains a smoothness and easy drinkability that has made it one of the most popular dark beers in the Northeast.

Added by purplehops on 06-10-1998

Ratings: 2,389 |  Reviews: 962
3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

3.84/5  rDev +5.8%

4.56/5  rDev +25.6%

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 3

I usually love a good brown ale. I like most of what BBC puts out, but their brown ale left me a poor taste in my mouth. It poured very well. Good dark brown to dark amber color. The nose was of good aroma. It smelled like a brown ale should. Good malt qualities, but the mouthfeel was not there at all. Now I tried it from a bottle served in a pint glass so I will would try it again off a tap (if I could find it in indiana), but until then I would not suggest this for a bottle purchase. Get it on tap otherwise go with something else.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

3.13/5  rDev -13.8%

for a slightly sweet taste and decent body the Brown Ale is not bad
got some in a variety pak from COSTCO for 27.99
i like it as a change of pace, but could have got Sam Adams Boston Lager for less
Brooklyn beer is decent but overpriced relative to quality

1/12/14
about a buck a bottle would be a good price at COSTCO

3.4/5  rDev -6.3%

4.84/5  rDev +33.3%

Very rich in flavour....loved it

3.67/5  rDev +1.1%

A: Poured a deep reddish-brown into a nonic pint. Had a nice light tan head which quickly subsided.

S: Very good aroma. Cascade and Fuggles hops very recognizable. Could also smell hints of roasty malts.

T: A very tasty brown ale. Very smooth with just the right amount of hops for a lupulin lover. Great malt profile, you can really taste hints of chocolate and caramel on the finish.

M: A little thin and maybe a little dry. Has a bit of a bite with the carbonation. Very pleasant.

D: I could drink a six-er of this and not even realize it.

Not a Northern English Brown or a Southern English Brown, but influenced by both styles and 'Americanized' in very good way. Fits right in between.

Brooklyn produces some great beer. This one is a staple in the beer fridge,

4.5/5  rDev +24%

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

L-Medium brown, light head

S-Pretty rich, def some grain and graham crackery sweetness

T-Fairly robust for a brown, yet finishes crisp. I really liked the balance here.

F-On the thicker side, but not syrupy.

O-I really enjoyed this beer. It was great with food as well as without. Very versatile. One of my more favorite browns (upslope is good, too). I'm a bit confused by The Bros rating here; I think this is a solidly "good" beer (mid 80's score worthy). JMHO

4.29/5  rDev +18.2%

4.06/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.1/5  rDev +12.9%

I love a brown ale that's solid, dark brown. It tells me it's a serious dark beer without being Guinness. That's this beer.

Smell was . . . okay. At one point the word "garbage" flashed across my mind, but by then it was in my mouth already, and that made up for everything. . .

. . . because the taste was delicious.

And the feel was good. . .

And I could have sat there all evening drinking it without feeling bloated . . . .

3.09/5  rDev -14.9%

For starters, I am often impressed by Brooklyn's brews. Brown Ale does not win such praise.

Purchased as a part of their 12 bottle "Brooklyn Beer Party"

Appearance- Pours mahogany to walnut brown, with some lacing and a 2 finger, especially carbonated head

Smell- Upon first sniff, I was very hopeful. Strong odor of hops, but also some chocolate.

Taste- Rather hollow tasting. The beginning starts nicely, reminiscent of cola and chocolate, but then the taste seems to vanish, and finishes with a bitter, hoppy kick. Reminds me strongly of drinking a cola

Mouthfeel- Due to the strong effervescence and light, airy head, I once again was reminded of a bitter soda, rather than a well-composed ale.

Drinkability- Perfectly drinkable, really. Nothing is blatantly wrong with the beer, but also, nothing stands out whatsoever.

Will not be purchasing again, but I never turn down trying something from Brooklyn.

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

4.53/5  rDev +24.8%

I just tried this beer tonight. It was at a place called paddy's irish pub in rochester, NY. Had a couple of the brooklyn brown ale on tap. I thought it was awesome. Very smooth brown american ale.They sell it at our local wegmans. Wegmans Just opened a couple isles full of micro brews in rochester. There must be at least 200-300 different beers.

2.04/5  rDev -43.8%

I am new to this forum and wish that I could post reviews privately as it is not my intention to influence or inform others but to remind myself. I am not a beer tasting expert and do not know the proper etiquette or vocabulary.

This said, I found the Brooklyn Brown Ale to be pretty in the glass when poured. The color is rich and the head sturdy. I was disappointed though by the thinner than expected and less full bodied flavor overwhelmed by what seemed to be too much carbonation for this brown ale. The ale left only a slight bitter aftertaste on the palate but a less than satisfying overall taste and experience.

I will not purchase in quantity but would drink if offered or even order as the first beer in a steak or barbeque restaurant if better options are not available.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%