Brooklyn Brown Ale | Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery
New York, United States
brooklynbrewery.com

Style: American Brown Ale

This is the award-winning original American brown ale, first brewed as a holiday specialty, and now one of our most popular beers year-round. Northern English brown ales tend to be strong and dry, while southern English brown ales are milder and sweeter. Brooklyn Brown Ale combines the best of those classic styles and then adds an American accent in the form of a firm hop character and roasty palate. A blend of six malts, some of them roasted, give this beer its deep russet-brown color and complex malt flavor, fruity, smooth and rich, with a caramel, chocolate and coffee background. Generous late hopping brings forward a nice hop aroma to complete the picture. Brooklyn Brown Ale is full-flavored but retains a smoothness and easy drinkability that has made it one of the most popular dark beers in the Northeast.

Added by purplehops on 06-10-1998

Ratings: 2,396 |  Reviews: 964
4.21/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

3.93/5  rDev +8.3%

3.53/5  rDev -2.8%

this beer is good. nothing amazing. nothing bad. its good

i had this beer when a friend of mine at the distributor recommended it. when he saw that i got a lot of newcastle ( this was a while ago. i'm a big Stone IPA fan now )

but he basically described it as a creamier version of newcastle. which i think is a fair statement.. its not quite as easy to drink as newcastle. but still has the same similarities

this beer is certainly worth giving a try. but again. its not one of those beers i can picture myself coming back to time after time.. but thats not to say it isn't good

3.74/5  rDev +3%

Poured out of a chilled (kitchen refrigerator) bottle into a pilsner glass.

Poured a deep mahogany ("my apartment smells of rich mahogany") or chestnut color with a quick foaming reddish-tan head that fades rather quickly.

Even after significant agitation, the smell remains crisp and clean, almost like a lager. Pleasant, but not complex. Hints of roasted nuts, or roasted coffee, subtly inform the bouquet. I should mention that my allergies mute my sense of smell to a point, so take this part with a grain of salt.

The taste starts out much like the smell, but more intense, with roasted, nutty coffee notes dominant. As it moves to the back of your mouth, however, subtle citrus notes come out. If you allow it to settle into your mouth before swallowing it, you will detect some subtle hops and malt flavors, neither of which is overpowering. As the beer approaches room temperature, or if it is poured at room temperature, a chocolatey taste will complement the flavors mentioned above.

Feels smooth and light in the mouth.

As for whether I LIKED this beer ... I did. The flavors are well balanced and very tasty. My only personal criticism is that I did not find them to be very strong, so I found myself wanting more intense taste. This problem might be solved if I drank it at a temperature about ten degrees warmer, so I will have to review it again at that temperature and see. But overall this is a good beer that I will not turn down unless a nut brown with stronger tones were available. But this beer is an enjoyable, high quality brew. I've come to expect this from a solid, respectable brewer like Brooklyn. I would recommend trying this beer if you're trying the style out for the first time or if you don't want to be overwhelmed by the taste of your beer.

4.5/5  rDev +24%

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

3.84/5  rDev +5.8%

4.56/5  rDev +25.6%

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 3

I usually love a good brown ale. I like most of what BBC puts out, but their brown ale left me a poor taste in my mouth. It poured very well. Good dark brown to dark amber color. The nose was of good aroma. It smelled like a brown ale should. Good malt qualities, but the mouthfeel was not there at all. Now I tried it from a bottle served in a pint glass so I will would try it again off a tap (if I could find it in indiana), but until then I would not suggest this for a bottle purchase. Get it on tap otherwise go with something else.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

3.13/5  rDev -13.8%

for a slightly sweet taste and decent body the Brown Ale is not bad
got some in a variety pak from COSTCO for 27.99
i like it as a change of pace, but could have got Sam Adams Boston Lager for less
Brooklyn beer is decent but overpriced relative to quality

1/12/14
about a buck a bottle would be a good price at COSTCO

3.4/5  rDev -6.3%

4.84/5  rDev +33.3%

Very rich in flavour....loved it

3.67/5  rDev +1.1%

A: Poured a deep reddish-brown into a nonic pint. Had a nice light tan head which quickly subsided.

S: Very good aroma. Cascade and Fuggles hops very recognizable. Could also smell hints of roasty malts.

T: A very tasty brown ale. Very smooth with just the right amount of hops for a lupulin lover. Great malt profile, you can really taste hints of chocolate and caramel on the finish.

M: A little thin and maybe a little dry. Has a bit of a bite with the carbonation. Very pleasant.

D: I could drink a six-er of this and not even realize it.

Not a Northern English Brown or a Southern English Brown, but influenced by both styles and 'Americanized' in very good way. Fits right in between.

Brooklyn produces some great beer. This one is a staple in the beer fridge,

4.5/5  rDev +24%

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

L-Medium brown, light head

S-Pretty rich, def some grain and graham crackery sweetness

T-Fairly robust for a brown, yet finishes crisp. I really liked the balance here.

F-On the thicker side, but not syrupy.

O-I really enjoyed this beer. It was great with food as well as without. Very versatile. One of my more favorite browns (upslope is good, too). I'm a bit confused by The Bros rating here; I think this is a solidly "good" beer (mid 80's score worthy). JMHO

4.29/5  rDev +18.2%

4.06/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.1/5  rDev +12.9%

I love a brown ale that's solid, dark brown. It tells me it's a serious dark beer without being Guinness. That's this beer.

Smell was . . . okay. At one point the word "garbage" flashed across my mind, but by then it was in my mouth already, and that made up for everything. . .

. . . because the taste was delicious.

And the feel was good. . .

And I could have sat there all evening drinking it without feeling bloated . . . .

3.09/5  rDev -14.9%

For starters, I am often impressed by Brooklyn's brews. Brown Ale does not win such praise.

Purchased as a part of their 12 bottle "Brooklyn Beer Party"

Appearance- Pours mahogany to walnut brown, with some lacing and a 2 finger, especially carbonated head

Smell- Upon first sniff, I was very hopeful. Strong odor of hops, but also some chocolate.

Taste- Rather hollow tasting. The beginning starts nicely, reminiscent of cola and chocolate, but then the taste seems to vanish, and finishes with a bitter, hoppy kick. Reminds me strongly of drinking a cola

Mouthfeel- Due to the strong effervescence and light, airy head, I once again was reminded of a bitter soda, rather than a well-composed ale.

Drinkability- Perfectly drinkable, really. Nothing is blatantly wrong with the beer, but also, nothing stands out whatsoever.

Will not be purchasing again, but I never turn down trying something from Brooklyn.

Brooklyn Brown Ale from Brooklyn Brewery