Brooklyn East India Pale Ale | Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn East India Pale AleBrooklyn East India Pale Ale

Brooklyn Brewery
New York, United States
brooklynbrewery.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-14-1998

Ratings: 2,470 |  Reviews: 986

Here is another hop beer that I wanted to try to expand my taste experience. Brooklyn has a couple others I am also going to try.

While this IPA, IMHO, is better than the other one I tried (Sweetwater 420 and its medicinal taste), it still isnt my taste. I prefer the maltiness of a full-flavored German beer, not the bitterness of USA overhopped beers. Octoberfest? Cant wait for it.

This beer has a decent, more full taste, but the hops is just too much for me. My gosh folks, there are more ingredients needed in beer than just hops. I cant stand the hops bitterness, but I understand some is needed.

Some. Not all. American "craft" brewers add 100% hops to give their beers 15 years of shelf life. Yuck.

IMHO, try German Krombacher or Weihenstephaner for a fuller taste that includes some - SOME - hops flavor which adds a great extra flavor that enhances the beer. I love those two beers, even with the hops. There, I said it. I plead no contest. Beer does better with hops. Agreed.

Just not 100 % hops, please. I will not buy this one again.

1.92/5  rDev -47.4%

Really ??? This is not an Ipa by any standard I'm sorry the apperance is good a amber color but the taste is literally like someone took wet leaves and fermented them and the aftertaste is a bit like a chili pepper I guess as others have said but nowhere do I get a bitter hop profile or nose. The mouthfeel was lightly carbonated as far as drinking goes by all means if someone wants a trade please feel free I won't drink this anytime soon. PLease brooklyn go back to the drawing board.

1.97/5  rDev -46%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

2.01/5  rDev -44.9%

Wow, I sure have had a lot of IPAs that are better than this. I want to like it, if for no other reason than Brooklyn brewery's reputation, but this is just NOT good.

The appearance is normal IPA color - shining & bright & golden. Everything else is downhill from here.

No blast of hops in the nose. More like yard clippings.

Biggest disappointment of this beer = the taste. Um, this is just rank. No large hop flavors. It tastes even more like grass than the smell. Not a lot of carbonation. Nasty cardboard/packing materials aftertaste coupled with a rather offensive pungent bitterness. Foul.

I have now had two very-less-than-satisfying beers from Brooklyn brewery. My opinion of them has fallen greatly, and I dont know if I really want to spend the money to drink anything else they've put out.

2.03/5  rDev -44.4%

Only beer I have ever poured out. Disgusting

2.04/5  rDev -44.1%

Best by 5/11. Light copper color with a thin white head. Lots of fast moving bubbles ascending the glass. No lace but a'ight retention.

Aroma is oxidized pear and apricot (as if you leave a pear slice out to long, not that the beer itself is oxidized) like a skunky tripel. Little bit of pepper. Has an Orange Citrus Listerine alcoholic solvency that is egregiously unattractive. Needs, um hops?

Fruity green apple malt like a hop-less ESB. Has a cheap champagne dry alcohol solvent taste that makes me cringe. Fizzy.

WTF Brooklyn?

I trust Brooklyn to brew exceptional beer so this is a huge letdown. Maybe they were going for a historical IPA that is reminiscent of when it reached India, rather than prior to?

Not a fan.

2.11/5  rDev -42.2%

I had out of a 12 ounce bottle.
A- Rust brown color. Clear and bubbly. Excellent bubbly head with excellent lacing.
S- Decent spice smell followed by a slight metallic scent.
T- Ugh. That just tastes too dry with no flavor except for a mild sourness. This might be skunked but it almost has an American Macro Lager taste, instead of a spicy pale ale.

2.11/5  rDev -42.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.15/5  rDev -41.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

A beer haiku for you:

"Unfortunate ale;
Leave this bad boy in Brooklyn!
Currently shell shocked...."

Um...not sure what just happened: this had to be a bad batch or single bottle that I picked up. Looked and smelled good: taste? Oy vey! For a world class brewer--from whom I have never had anything less than a delightful experience--this one literally "pales". If I hadn't had another of their products prior, I would boycott all Brooklyn offerings. Thankfully, that is not the case. I can not recommend this one, though, at all.

Cheers!

2.17/5  rDev -40.5%

Bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: Sad looking lacing on top of a amber-gold brew. Very light levels of carbonation.

Smell: Yard work, literally smells like yard work: leaves and sweet grass, maybe a bit of tea.

Taste: very low levels of bitterness for an EIPA. The IBUs on this brew must be fairly low. Weird leafy flavor, has this flavor I've tasted before in food. Seems out of place, but I can't put my finger on it; not a fan. It is almost like Brooklyn added chili peppers to accent the flavor. After almost finishing the beer... I figured it out. This tastes just like cream of mushroom soup, with leaves.

Drinkability: Why Brooklyn Brewery? Why? Dear god, why? If I had brewed this I would have thrown it out. I bought a 12 mix pack of Brooklyn's brews and luckily there is only 2 of these in the pack. It seems like Brooklyn might have added this EIPA to the pack to get rid of them. Even the mouthfeel is off.

2.24/5  rDev -38.6%

Aroma-hops not much else in the first wiff

Appearence-Foamy white 1 finger head/not much retention/decent golden color

Flavor-hoppy/bitter/kinda bland

Mouthfeel-Decent carbonation/bitterness fade too quick

drinkability-Easy to drink if you like it/not much flavor/leaves a bit to be desired

Brooklyn East India Pale Ale from Brooklyn Brewery