Brooklyn East India Pale Ale | Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn East India Pale AleBrooklyn East India Pale Ale

Brooklyn Brewery
New York, United States
brooklynbrewery.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Plenty of IPAs will promise you the moon and the stars, looking to seduce you with words of smashing bitterness and hops everlasting. Actually, we're not here to "blow you away with a lupulin cannon," or "peel the enamel off your teeth." East IPA is a clean, drinkable IPA that's packed with flavor and offers a bold balance, not a smack in the head. American hops soar in the bright piney aroma, while East Kent Goldings hops bring the taste of stone fruits and firm bitterness from IPA's ancestral British home. Give our East IPA a try with some rich crab cakes or salmon, strike up a conversation with farmhouse cheddars, and find harmony alongside spicy dishes. East IPA's blend of tradition and exuberance sets the standard for hop-driven deliciousness.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-14-1998

Ratings: 2,497 |  Reviews: 990
3.52/5  rDev -3%

Poured into my Surly pint glass, looks slightly hazy orange in color. The aroma is lightly peppered citrus with a nice bready character. The flavor is nicely bitter with zesty citrus notes. Mouthfeel is very light, great session ipa. I could easily knock a few of these back. Welcome to MN Brooklyn!

2.74/5  rDev -24.5%

A: Kinda weak head. No pop to it.

S: Can't really tell what I smell here. Not what I thought I would get from this beer.

T: A little malty at the end. Not something I liked in the beer.

M: Dark bitter and dry.

O: Just not a beer for me. I tried it, didn't like it and will move on to something else.

3.51/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

pours a light brown/amber clor with solid white head. head sits steady and holds for a while. excellent lacing. Very nice looking brew. Smell is faintly of tropical fruit hoppiness, but not strong. taste is malt forward, bready and almost like a slightly hopped version of Brooklyn's pale. mouthfeel is medium bodied. overall this is a decent throw-in EIPA in the brooklyn variety pack. I wouldn't seek this out, but don't mind it in the variety pakc.

3.77/5  rDev +3.9%

Brooklyn Lager was the first lager I enjoyed drinking since Sam Adams Boston Lager, so with that in mind I was eager to try out their IPA.

I feel like alot of people forget that there is a third ingredient to beer brewing that gets overlooked, and that's the grains. Untill a couple of months ago I myself overlooked this important flavor inducing igredient and passed it off as an odd flavor. However, grains are Brooklyns strengths, it's what gives their Lager it's refreshingly simple pre-prohibition taste, and their EIPA it's distinct flavor.

The smell is fruity, but covers the lingering smell of the grain. The taste is also fruity, but covers the long grainy after taste that lingers after a sip. The mouth feel is hardly watery but isn't sticky like other IPA's can get.

Overall Brooklyn EIPA plays to the strengths of grains that many brewers try to cover up, and it shines through. The drink-ability might not be there, but when you take the time to consider the complexity that grains can impart on a beer, don't overlook Brooklyn EIPA, the brewers certainly haven't.

2.27/5  rDev -37.5%

Bottle poured into pint glass. Bottle date best before July 2011.

A - Nice medium amber color. Slightly hazy with some minor carbonation. Head was about finger and a half immediately after pour but only lasted about a minute.

S - Not what I expected from an IPA. Virtually no hop smell. This is my first experience with Brooklyn Brand and I'm a little worried.

T - Decent bitter/hops aftertaste but the initial taste is almost watery to me.

M - Despite my issues with the taste, it has a very smooth feel in my mouth.

O - I don't think this is a bad beer. However, it just doesn't smell or taste like an IPA to me. I doubt I would buy it again.

I'm on the fence on this. It is unique, yet similar. To me it tastes like Bass made with Brooklyn brewery's water. I taste that same water (not really a good taste, but not bad - but a signature for sure) in several of their beers.

It has a dry bitter darkness that I think is right for the style. I think this brew deserves a serious multi-beer session. I will try to do that (some other time, though).

3.21/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a pint glass.

A- Nice amber gold with a thin white head.

S- Smells fruity, grassy and candy/gumballish. Heavy on the malt with Faint floral hops and bready. It smells fairly good, just doesn't smell anything like an IPA to me.

T- Malty and piny with a strong bittering on the end.

M- Medium bodied and very bitter and dry.

D- This is certainly a beer that goes down smooth and is drinkable, BUT im failing to find the hops in this beer. This has got the malty taste of a EIPA but im hop-less right now, and wishing i weren't.

3.82/5  rDev +5.2%

Bottle into Sam Adams sensory glass, Best Before date of July/2011.

Pours a light golden copper, barely hazy, with a thin white cap that fades very quickly. Nice streams of bubbles flowing up.

Nose is nice - orange marmalade, caramel hiding underneath, toasted bread, and a light layer of spicy pine on top. Nicely balanced, refreshing to see an American take on a British style that doesn't load itself down with American hops.

Taste is nice - subtle blend of toasty, orangey malt underneath, bready, and a nice, soft layer of spicy, earthy hops hinting at pine. Moderate lingering bitterness. Bit of butter, slick, not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel is nice as well - soft prickle, slick, full bodied, mellow. Lovely.

Drinkable is an understatement - mellow and flavorful, really enjoyable beer. Balanced and, above all, tasty.

4.06/5  rDev +11.8%

Yet again the mighty eastcoast strikes again upon the EIPA society. As most of the brews from Brooklyn i say this has a great balance. True true mild yet hoppy sensation makes the tastdrones go nuts. Sugar can be discovered once you stick your nose in. I would say that biscuits is also i player on this field. The best part about this brew is that it contains so much taste for a bargain price of pretty much nothing compared to other in the same style.

4.2/5  rDev +15.7%

Dated best by Mar 2011.
Pours a nice egg shell white two and half finger head of tight bubbles, this fades to a solid bubbly cap with big lacing clinging to the glass. Initially I get a big floral nose, some fruit, sweet malts, some alcohol as well but in a good way which accentuates the other smells. Tastes sweet and malty at first, some earthy hops, piney, some crystal malts, woodiness, quite nice for an english ipa. A good bit of lingering bitterness, some coating oilyness, medium bodied, medium/high carbonation. I enjoyed this one to the end, another good beer from brooklyn. $1.50 a single from whole foods bargin bin.

3.63/5  rDev 0%

Pours a medium amber color with a thick yellowish white head and a bit of lacing. Smells of earthy and piny hops and a little biscuit. Tastes of earthy hops, sweet malts, and a bit of grain. Quite nice. Mouthfeel is medium and there is a medium carbonation. Drinkability is high.

2.68/5  rDev -26.2%

Reviewed from notes

Appearance: light amber with a 1½ finger off white head

Smell: grassy, earthy, malts, mild floral hops

Taste: malts melded well with floral hops, bitter/dry finish, but does not linger

Mouthfeel: mild carbonation, well balanced

Drinkability: lighter than expected, not bad, but the dryness at the backend is off-putting

Cheers!
The CPJ

1.92/5  rDev -47.1%

Really ??? This is not an Ipa by any standard I'm sorry the apperance is good a amber color but the taste is literally like someone took wet leaves and fermented them and the aftertaste is a bit like a chili pepper I guess as others have said but nowhere do I get a bitter hop profile or nose. The mouthfeel was lightly carbonated as far as drinking goes by all means if someone wants a trade please feel free I won't drink this anytime soon. PLease brooklyn go back to the drawing board.

3.97/5  rDev +9.4%

Been waiting to find some Brooklyn E.I.P.A. for awhile. finally found it, no idea why it took so long. taste is pretty good. not too hoppy, wish it had a bit more hop to it. Color is good. drank it straight from bottle. very good. would recommend to drink if opportunity arises.

2.17/5  rDev -40.2%

Bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: Sad looking lacing on top of a amber-gold brew. Very light levels of carbonation.

Smell: Yard work, literally smells like yard work: leaves and sweet grass, maybe a bit of tea.

Taste: very low levels of bitterness for an EIPA. The IBUs on this brew must be fairly low. Weird leafy flavor, has this flavor I've tasted before in food. Seems out of place, but I can't put my finger on it; not a fan. It is almost like Brooklyn added chili peppers to accent the flavor. After almost finishing the beer... I figured it out. This tastes just like cream of mushroom soup, with leaves.

Drinkability: Why Brooklyn Brewery? Why? Dear god, why? If I had brewed this I would have thrown it out. I bought a 12 mix pack of Brooklyn's brews and luckily there is only 2 of these in the pack. It seems like Brooklyn might have added this EIPA to the pack to get rid of them. Even the mouthfeel is off.

3.63/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a bottle into my Otter Creek nonic.

Pours a light amber hue that's pretty transparent, with a big, thick frothy head that leaves some sticky, bubbly lacing clinging to the inside of the glass. Lazy lines of carbonation rise up from the bottom. Smell has a subdued floral hoppiness, with sweetish malts being the overriding scent. Little bit of citrus on the back end. Not quite a forward with the hops as I'm used to with IPAs.

Bit of a malty kick to start things off. Nuances of caramel and a biscuity crispness follow that up. Hops make an appearance on the back end, but are subdued as in the nose. They mingle with the malts to create a taste that's just slightly skewed towards sweetness. Aftertaste is lightly bitter, but doesn't linger at all. Mouthfeel is light-bodied. Not quite watery, but lighter than I was expecting. Mild carbonation provides fleeting effervescence.

Pretty easy drinking, all things considered. Would have liked a bit more balance and a bit more punch from the hops, but I can live with it. Maybe my palate is evolving?

3.52/5  rDev -3%

Best before May 2011

A - light amber with hints of redness. Small off white head goes away fast. typical.

S - Mostly malt in the nose, backed by some bitter hops. hint of peppery spice.

T - Nice malt sweetness to balance the bitter hops. light and crisp citrus taste is the front of it, which is altogether a mild tasting beer. develops some real funky flavors as it warms

M - light and smooth.

D - pretty drinkable, the bitter and dryness of it is a bit off putting but it's nothing terrible.

Appearance - Clear, orange hue with 2 finger white billowy head like a Belgian Strong. Plenty of carbonation throughout.

Smell - Nice scent of fresh hops.

Taste - Very well balanced and plesant flavorings. Nice and crisp with slight hop bite but just enough to offset the maltiness. Not overpowering at all.

Mouthfeel - Nice puffy head feels creamy on the upper lip. Slightly fizzy carbonation in the mouth.

Drinkability - This is a well made IPA and I could put down several of these in one sitting. I can't really say that for some of the super-hopped IPAs.

This was the first Brooklyn beer I've sampled. Very impressed. I plan to find some more of their styles to sample.

4.07/5  rDev +12.1%

Found at The Grille Room in Portland, Maine I was told it was a Brookly IPA, not East India Pale Ale, and I have to say this was a much more enjoyable IPA than what I recall of the East India version I tried previously from the bottle. So I'm not sure if I have the wrong variety here but I don't see any other IPA choices under the Brooklyn flag and this did not seem anything like an imperial IPA, so...this brew is a clear pale gold color with a whispy white film on top and moderate rings of lacing. The aroma offers citrus biscuit, firm but polite. The flavor is bright grapefruit/lemon and tangy orange rye bread, medium light bodied with a fairly crisp feel. This is a tasty and highly drinkable ipa with a mellow base and bright highlights. What a nice balance. Highly recommended.

3.64/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a clear yellow-orange with a thin head. Very nice sweet bready malt with muted pine hops aroma. Taste starts off piney then to grapefruit to grapefruit zest that lingers clean on the palate. Mouthfeel is just a bit thin. Smell is better than taste, but could have more than one.

3.68/5  rDev +1.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A - nice rich yellow with an amber hue; good head but dissipates quickly but lacing certainly holds up

S - hops and malt -- definitely not the nose of an American IPA -- this smells decidedly British

T - malty and flat -- been awhile since I had an "original" style IPA, but this is what I remember; not overly complex, but brings back fond memories of pints in the UK

M - smooth with just a bit of carbonation

D - very easy to drink -- with the balance, could drink a few without pummeling the palate

3.72/5  rDev +2.5%

A: The beer is light coppery orange in color and has a slight amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin white head that quickly faded away and left a ring of bubble around the edge of the glass and lacing in the center.
S: There are light to moderate aromas of biscuit malts and citrus hops in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and has a light amount of bitterness from the hops.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied and slightly crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
D: The beer is very drinkable for the style, especially considering its relatively high alcohol content.

2.04/5  rDev -43.8%

Best by 5/11. Light copper color with a thin white head. Lots of fast moving bubbles ascending the glass. No lace but a'ight retention.

Aroma is oxidized pear and apricot (as if you leave a pear slice out to long, not that the beer itself is oxidized) like a skunky tripel. Little bit of pepper. Has an Orange Citrus Listerine alcoholic solvency that is egregiously unattractive. Needs, um hops?

Fruity green apple malt like a hop-less ESB. Has a cheap champagne dry alcohol solvent taste that makes me cringe. Fizzy.

WTF Brooklyn?

I trust Brooklyn to brew exceptional beer so this is a huge letdown. Maybe they were going for a historical IPA that is reminiscent of when it reached India, rather than prior to?

Not a fan.

3.26/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Huge head on this one, takes up half the glass after a normal pour. Beer is a darkish golden color with some amber sneaking through. Really good

S: Different, not what I was expecting. Some piney notes seem to dominate, perhaps from the hops? I'm not getting much else here, maybe some floral notes.

T: Hops really dominate the flavor. Piney throughout, complex hops flavor that really kinda takes over. After drinking and warming up a bit, maltness can be found in the beginning of the taste, but it's very short.

M/D: I'm not sure what this beer is trying to be IPA? East IPA, thought this was supposed to be more on the malty side but i'm not seeing it. I've had better IPAs, this is decent, but not my goto

3.55/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Nice, partially hazy orange color. Some faint yellow highlights at the bottom of the glass. Off white head that was somewhat small and not much retention. Settled to a decent ring and left some ok lacing.

Smell - Touches of grapefruit and orange citrus on the nose. Some mild floral and perfumy notes. A bit of alcohol is detected along with a bready characteristic. I also got hints of a nuttiness and maybe some resinous flavors.

Taste - The taste had some fruitiness accompanied by splashes of pine. I swear I think I'm tasting hickory nut or something. Something is different for sure.

Mouthfeel - Medium and dry. A touch of alcohol warmth. Leaves a bit on the palate. Smooth and mostly refreshing. Not bad.

Drinkability - This is an ok beer. Nothing horrible. I could set back a couple during one setting. Worth a try. Maybe not the best IPA I've ever had, but solid none the less. The citrus aromas seem to be pushed to the backgound, which I think is a bit unusual for an IPA.

Brooklyn East India Pale Ale from Brooklyn Brewery