Brooklyn Lager | Brooklyn Brewery

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by UncleJimbo on 02-11-1998

Ratings: 3,676 |  Reviews: 1,245

1.42/5  rDev -61.8%

Looked like a good beer in the glass. We had it on tap at the airport in New York before flying out. What a dissapointment. A flat taste to add to the dullness of the JFK airport experience.

1.58/5  rDev -57.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Had this dozens of times from the bottle but this review is for the draft. Ordered this at Peter Luger's in Brooklyn only because the other choices were dismal ABInbev. The draft arrived in a glass mug with no bubbles or head. It appeared to have been sitting at the bar too long. Otherwise, it was the pedestrian dark copper liquid. Aroma was malty with hints of nutmeg. Tasted like it was sitting in a rusty can waiting to be served to the next victim. Mouthfeel was watery to non existent. Overall the draft example was disappointing compared to the bottle version. As for the beef steak, I've had better steaks for the price but nevertheless it was a good experience.

1.68/5  rDev -54.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer pours a clear, pale gold with no head or lace. It's aroma is of fruit, bread, and caramel. The flavor is fruity with sweet malt notes followed by a hop bitterness that lasts from start to finish. The flavor is more reminiscent of an APA than a lager and leaves a lasting, dry, bitter, aftertaste. The mouthfeel is light. Brooklyn Lager is a mediochre beer, not recommended.

1.92/5  rDev -48.4%

Appearance - This was a light yellow in color with a modest head.

Smell - The aroma here is overly grainy and rough. It smelled more like an adjunct macro than a quality beer from BB.

Taste - Very disappointing. The grain was cheap and just wouldn't quit. From beginning to end this beer left a foul, graining taste in my mouth.

Mouthfeel - This was light-bodied and watery with a fizzy carbonation that made me think I was drinking a wine cooler.

Sinkability - Well I couldn't really pour this in the sink because I was at the pub, but I was drinking it so slow that the barmaid came over while I still had half a pint left and asked me if I wanted something else. I have had so many good beers from this brewery it's hard to believe that this came from the same place.

I have had this beer before. I have actually had this beer in New York City. Never been to the brewery before… but I wouldn't mind going. I love to travel, I love New York, and I LOVE beer! (Don't get excited… the beer is just okay.)

The beer smells like a lager. Makes sense… this beer is a lager. It has a weak carbonation on top, and sits like a pale in the glass. This beer does get better the warmer it gets. But the beer is an easy find, cheap, and not one that you want to sit around and get warm. At least close to room temperature. You get a hint of that carbonation on the palate, just as the flavor leaves. It's quick, slides down easy, and is a drinkable beer. Its a lager… nothing fancy about it.

I wouldn't buy this beer again, unless it was on sale. I mean, it's a typical boring lager. Brooklyn makes a LOT better beers than this. It's just okay…

Brooklyn Lager from Brooklyn Brewery