Brooklyn Monster Ale | Brooklyn Brewery

New York, United States
brooklynbrewery.com

Style: English Barleywine

Availability: Fall

ABV varies a bit year to year.

Added by Todd on 11-26-2000

Ratings: 1,869 |  Reviews: 1,085
3.6/5  rDev -3.2%

Although there is very little head, the ring of lacing crowning the deep chestnut body is enticing enough.

The alcohol scent is very strong on the nose but there are more delecate notes of prunes and brown sugar that make this appealing enough.

Though not nearly as potent as I had expected, there is nice alcohol warming to be sure. A drier finish than I would have guessed with dark fruit and burnt flavors. The aftertaste is actually a bit rough leading me to think this could become a bit more refined with some aging.

Somewhat thick, low on carbonation but these are characteristics I would expect from a barley wine. Not the kind of beverage that lends itself to multiple helpings.

Thanks to AKSmokedPorter for the taste.

3.68/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It pours a quite clear ruby amber, like dark brewed tea. A finger of fine light tan head settles soon to streaks of surface froth. Prongs of lacing fork the inside of the glass.

The aroma delivers the swarthy sweetness of toasted malt, with caramel, dark berries, and vanilla, along with a touch of biscuit. A floral pine hop eddy toys with a wispy draft of alcohol.

Upon tasting, a sinewy sweet tendon of toasted malt prods along caramel, plum, and black cherry on a staccato march. A surprisingly light pine pillow of hops accompanies a port-like alcohol tendril that expands and attempts almost successfully to dominate. A baked bread grain note slids into an increasingly bitter close that lingers long and almost astringently in the finish. The flavor starts nicely enough, but loses to a disjointedness, and it ends distractingly and perhaps gratuitously bitter.

Full bodied, the slick malt coats capably, but the bitter blanket numbs the palate to pretty much all else.

Mischief night seemed like a fitting night to drink this, but I think I could have chosen more wisely. It's not truly bad, but neither is it especially good, and not so good that the big ABV is worth its hefty weight. So I'll finish this bottle, somewhat willingly but also obligated, but it sure ain't no graveyard smash, with all due apologies to Wilson Pickett.

4.55/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

from notes:

Reddish /toffee in color... 1/4" head that dissipates slowly into a nice cap. Great swirl with great legs...

Aroma is sweet, caramel, hoppy, maple, alcohol... wonderfully good.

Mouthfeel is creamy smooth... silky... a slight burn. I would say perfect.

Taste is near perfect with a sweetend hoppy accent... great balance with caramel, malt and licorice.

Easily one of the best barleywines if not best beers I've ever had.

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%

A - Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass at 45 degrees; a reddish/amber color with a small head. I fear time has not been good to this bottle.

S - Powerful alcohol aroma with dry fruit hints...more of a sour scent.

T - Malty alcohol dominates the taste, and it's a little rough on the way down. The typical Brooklyn taste has been replaced with a peppery, slightly hoppy kick. Not like most barleywines I've had.

M - Medium body, but not very smooth going down.

D - I actually had difficulty finishing my one bottle. I have a feeling I got an unlucky bottle...I'm saving another one to see if the results are different.

2.89/5  rDev -22.3%

# 2004 #

Presentation: A 12 fluid ounce brown glass bottle with a silvery chrome neck and main label, very 70’s……why does it remind me of Slade!?!? Labeled as “This Monster Ale was Born in 2004”. Crown cap is also silver in color. Listed as 11% ABV.

Appearance: Lucid rusty dark brown body with a clear uniform ¼” white head cap which lays a smooth coating on the glass walls. 360˚ Belgian style lacing coats the entire circumference of the head as it sinks into the goblet. Longevity of the white crown is very good and decent enough overall looks.

Nose: Sweet, even after 36 months!!!…the sugary sickly nose is a surprise; I wanted old fruits and ended up with a sickly sweet mess. Cloying annoying aromas blended with raw alcohol reminded me of a young homebrewers first attempt at a Barleywine.

Taste: Light toffee, some hard boiled barleysugar candy and a smidgeon of Werthers Orginals, but the sweetness is too prevalent to distract you to the niceties of this brew. Warming alcohols penetrate the finish and light the epiglottis with a heated rear seat. One-dimensional with no complex tones.

Mouthfeel: For an 11% brew, the body is thin, a little metallic and suffers from the “brown sugar dissolved in ale” texture. Fading warmth and bland caramels don’t even begin to rescue this from boredom.

Drinkability: Simplistic profile actually lends Drinkability, though I have to say that I expected a heavier brew, the thin Mouthfeel and run of the mill tastes do indeed make for an easy going effort.

Overall: Some 3 years old by now, but I would have expected a little more depth and resilience, as well as a more polished refractive interface. I safely cellared this one for a couple of years and even had it in my fridge for at least the last year settling away – but I don’t feel rewarded, and I really didn’t get much back from this one, heck I even feel let down and like a Muppet for wasting good chilling space in my beer igloo.

OK, but nothing special, and definitely not worthy of fridge space!! A desperate let down as a “Barleywine” and a lightweight Boy amongst Men. Probably better fresh!

3.42/5  rDev -8.1%

Born in 2005.

Pours a clear, dark amber color with a thin, light tan head that quickly fades to just a ring. No lacing left behind, but the ring remains.

Scents of dark fruits (raisins, dates, plums), caramel, some light citrus hop notes. Alcohol is present in the aroma. Kind of reminds me of a red wine my wife recently had.

Taste is strong on the dark fruits and alcohol. Hop bitterness comes out in the end. The alcohol is almost too strong for my liking.

Medium bodied with light carbonation. Dry, bittering finish with aftertaste of alcohol remaining in my throat. It may improve with some aging, but as of now it's not one of my favortie English barleywines.

3.97/5  rDev +6.7%

Born in 2005

A- Pours a clear dark amber with nice tan head.

S- Sweet fruits, caramel and toffee. Nice citrus hop presence.

T- Dark fruit flavor, sherry like alcohol, and toffee. Hops provide a nice spicy note too.

M- Crisp and dry.

D- A little lighter than others. All in all, a nice barleywine, just not my favorite.

3.91/5  rDev +5.1%

Born in 2003. Brilliant, glowing candy apple red when even tangentially backlit. This is one of the brightest, reddest barleywines that I've ever laid eyes on. Given the ABV, I'm amazed that the head was as expansive as it was after the pour and that it's lasting as long as it is. Creamy, light caramel-colored foam crested the top of the snifter and is even now, many minutes later, a fat one finger in height. I don't even care that there's almost no lace because Monster is a great looking beer.

I really thought that three years in the bottle would have been long enough to tame the alcohol (and it might have on the palate). Unfortunately, ethanol is still the main component of the less than multi-faceted nose. A whiff of Islay whisky is buried way down deep and might have come to the rescue if it was stronger. The usual boozy berry notes are present, but they're long on boozy and short on berry.

The flavor is a definite step up, largely because rampant alcohol is no longer an issue. It still infuses each and every mouthful, but has been so rounded and softened by the years that it's a welcome visiter on the tongue. In fact, the flavor itself is a bit too rounded and softened for my tastes. It's so hard to know how long to age a barleywine, especially when one has just a single bottle and can't see how each vintage is progressing.

Due to its age--I'm guessing--each sip starts out with a measured burst of dark caramel, cherry tobacco, anise and black raspberries and then starts to lose flavor concentration (slowly but steadily) rather than hanging tough as a younger beer might do. It's still an enjoyable little sipper though and is one of the more tasty English-style barleywines that I've had in a while.

The body/mouthfeel isn't as large as I like, but taken within the context of the gentle, 'rounded edges' flavor profile, it fits like hand in glove. Tactilely as well, the beer loses momentum as soon as it registers, but sticks around long enough not to disappoint. In spite of a surprisingly loud 'pffft' on crown cracking, there's very little noticeable carbonation. Just like I like it.

I've had this bottle of Brooklyn Monster Ale for several years at least and have hung onto it hoping that it was improving with each passing month. I may have waited a bit too long, but I feared the alcoholic heat that I experienced in a newly minted bottle of Black Chocolate Stout. I'd love to get my hands on a fresher bottle some day, if only to see how it compares to this now mellow fellow.

3.55/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy chocolate milk-like appearance with a low beige ringed head. Strong solid malt aroma with alcohol on the nose. Similar flavors with a decent balance; very malty with some aged hop bitterness. Medium-full bodied; almost milky with a fairly bitter finish.

I vow not to age any more barleywines...

Per BB website: Alcohol 10.8 (ABW?)
OG: 23.7P; 1095
Malts: Scottish Floor-malted Marris Otter & English 2-row Malts
Hops: Willamette, Cascade, and American Fuggles

2000 version (Per label: "Specially Brewed for the Millenium")
Tasted: 07/13/06

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep amber color, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of caramel, hops, malt and fruit (citrus & raisin), with a hint of alcohol.

T: The tastes of caramelized malt and hops come at you first. The fruitiness is quite faint compared to the smell. You taste the alcohol, but I didn't find it as strong as I expected given the high ABV. The bitter after-taste isn't too strong, but it didn't seem like a hops bitterness which would have made it more pleasant, it's more of an alcohol bitterness as should be expected with an 11.80% ABV.

M: Very crisp, medium carbonation, medium body, dry finish, a little thinner than I expected but not necessarily bad.

D: The beer has a well-balanced flavor and although the alcohol presence is notable, it certainly doesn't seem like 11.80% ABV. I could see myself drinking more of this beer than one might normally consume in this style.

While this beer is by no means the best that I've had, it's good enough to restore my faith in a style that I hadn't been too thrilled with to this point.

3.56/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2005 Vintage. No best by date, and none required.

Appearance:

Pours a reddish orange with an incredible 2" head that lasts a while, though upon settling leaves behind some impressive lace.

Aroma:

Slightly burnt caramel with just a touch of hoppy bitterness.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Mildly sweet with almost ripe plum coupled with a sherry-like nuttiness that is heady with alcohol.

3.27/5  rDev -12.1%

12 oz. bottle, 2005 vintage. It pours a mildly-hazed orange/ruby with a hint of pink and low visible carbonation with a fizzy head that reduces to nothing. Smells of bubblegum, tart apples, and melon rind, with sugary, almost artificial malts. It has a medium, syrupy body and there are heavy sugary malts on the palate that almost completely mask the hops, which are noticeable mostly in the mild to medium bitterness. I'm not really impressed, but I'd like to see how a few years in the cellar would treat this one.

2.78/5  rDev -25.3%

This sample, a 2005 vintage, poured from 12 oz. brown glass bottle created very little dark white head, and leaves a little lace down the straight sided tumbler. Mahogany color and very little sweet malt smell for such a big beer. Flavor is of raisins, bread, alcohol and sweet malt, without much hop to balance. I like the mouthfeel, it is my favorite aspect of this beer, which I enjoy often. Drinkability is quite low, due to the overwhelming strength. I always enjoy this beer, which I don't rate all that highly. I just wish I had the restraint to be able to age it a bit, it might rate higher with a bit of age on it.

Just a thought,

barleyman

3.42/5  rDev -8.1%

Monster Ale 2004. Sampled from 12 fl oz bottle courtesy of a friend, traded from the USA.

Clear brown color with a tan head.
Lots of alcohol in the scent, some of the barley wine style classic notes as well. Also a little bit fruity smell.
Taste is hidden by the alcohol, it stunnes the taste buds.
Big mouthfeel with medium high bitterness.
Pepper and bitter after taste.
Might win on being laid down for a while, see if the taste can evolve from the alcohol some.

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

2004 Vintage. Pours copper to orange in color and clear with a decent size creamy off white head that fades rapidly. Smell of sugary sweet malts, sweet prunes and apricots, a big whiff of alcohol as well. A little biscuit/yeasty as well, which when mixed with the sweet malts is like a pineapple upside down cake. Taste is also a flash of sweet maltiness, caramel, no hop flavors to speak of, quickly followed by a large alcohol presence. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with an oily slickness and finishes with a slightly warming, dryness from the alcohol. I enjoyed this sample, but would like to try it raw and fresh as well.

3.56/5  rDev -4.3%

Class of 2004 12oz bottle - This was my first one in three years but also the first one I had allowed to age for 12+ months.

Has a very appealing orange/copper color with an off-white head that quickly dissipated. Lots going on with the smell...fruits, malt, alcohol (but not so much as to clue one in to the power of this brew). It was sweeter and smoother than I had remembered it. Good fruit balance to help distract from the potential onslaught of alcohol and hops taste, but still not a personal favorite in this aspect. Mouthfeel was lighter than expected but still left a bit of a coating... not very satisfying. Very clean finish and lack of bitterness made for a high probability of multiple visitations in a single session. Do this at your own risk as that 11.8% ABV will make it presence known soon enough.

I might want to pour my next one more aggresively to wake things up a bit. Quite drinkable for the high ABV. I'll let a couple age for another 3 months and then give it another spin.

12 ounce bottle that states "this monster ale was born in 2005" poured into a large sized snifter glass.

A - A translucent red-orange color with a small tan head. Not bad.

S - Sweet fruity smells along with some caramel. A bit of cherry and grape flavors specifically.

T - The fruit tastes are leading the way here with a bitterness and some of the caramel flavors on the finish. A pleasant tasting barleywine.

M - A little thin for the style buit still pretty good.

D - Not the most complex barleywine I've tasted but seems to drink rather easily for the style.

Not too bad. I like the more in your face American barleywines better but this is a pleasant sipper after dinner or at the end of the night.

4.37/5  rDev +17.5%

The 2004 vintage of this beer was the first one I picked up after the law change in Georgia, and at the time I though this was a beer worth cellaring. In the past year and a half I was able to avoid the calls of the lone remaining bottle of Monster. I suppose now is as good a time as any to take the plunge.

Poured into a tulip, the beer looked as clear as ever, with reddish brown body, and a small head that formed for a short while before settling down to a thin ring of bubbles. Not much carbonation to speak of either. The aroma was sweet, and floral. There were lots of fruity esters reminding me of figs, cherries, bananas, oranges, and apples. The alcohol was like rose oil. There was no hint of any oxidation, despite the warmish cellaring conditions in my basement.

The taste was smooth and mellow, with the flavors melded together to form a taste similar to fruit punch mixed with caramel sauce. The warm and spicy alcohol came shortly after, until giving way to vanilla. The texture was silky smooth and delicate. The hops which I remember being somewhat noticeable when fresh, had all faded into a slight peppery tingle.

This Monster was definitely a better beer with some age on it. The warmth of the alcohol has me wondering if this beer can go on improving a little more with age. Sadly the 2004 is now history, and 2005 bottles have some ways to go. Good things come to those who wait I suppose.

4.12/5  rDev +10.8%

This is a vintage 2004 bottle

A clean dark amber/copper colored beer with ruby hightlights. Has a nice off white head. The aroma has a creamy caramel character up front with a hint of apple in the background followed by a strong alcohol note. That creamy carmel character flows over into the taste. Bringing with it a creamy smooth mouthfeel. There is a quick snap of bitterness on the finish. Which is where the heat from the alcohol starts to slowly make it's presence felt. Marvelous

2003 Vintage

Pours a bloody amber color with an off-white head after a pretty aggressive pour into my balloon. Nice lacing as it slowly fades and a little bit of carbonation rising up.

Apples, raisins, grapes, and a sweet caramel malt sweetness that is tied together with a bit of alcohol.

A good bit of caramel malt with some notes of apples, cherries, rasins, and some woodiness that I can't pinpoint. Very sweet malt and the alcohol is barely noticable. Smooth as silk finish. The 3+ years of aging has done this one some justice. I had the previous 5 of the six-pack before I learned of aging and its benefits and remember it being a bit hot for my tastes. But that was before my pallate could handle any Impy Stouts.

Medium-Full body and little carbonation. Regardless, this one is smooth as hell and goes down surprisingly easy. I wish I hadn't drank the other 5.

3.37/5  rDev -9.4%

bottled in 2005

Pours a clear medium brown color with a thin head. Cap was gone in seconds and left no lacings. Aroma was fruity esters, brown sugar and hops. Flavor was more the same with raisins, brown sugar, light roastiness, and unusualy strong grapefruit hops I thought. Had a spicey harshness that left a slight peppery aftertaste. Hops hangs in back of tongue for a few seconds. Body is medium, with medium carbonation, leaves a bitter dry mouthfeel. After reading some posts on cellaring this beer, I'm more looking forward the to future drinking of the rest of this six pack.

3.08/5  rDev -17.2%

As far as this style goes this one is average at best. The beer poured with little head. It is a mahogany color. The smell is alcohol with grain notes weaved in. The taste is alcohol up front. A slightly sharper barleywine. The mouthfeel is alcohol first. I could drink this beer again but there are better barleywines out there. Average at best.

4.04/5  rDev +8.6%

2003 vintage, sampled may 11/2006

pours a deep amber color with a 1/4" of tight yellow head. the head quickly dissipates into a ring around the glass. carbonation is fairly light.

aroma is really interesting. caramel, dried fruit, slightly vinous, alcohol in the background.

taste is great. nice roasty/malty flavour, with no trace of any sticky or cloying sweetness. just a hint of the dried fruit/vinous character. nice alcohol finish. really nice well balanced and quite smooth. any trace of hops, even bitterness, seems strangely missing, but i think that's just because i'm more used to american style barleywines.

mouthfeel is actually a little thinner than i expected. i'd have expected a beer of this size to be a little fuller, but it makes it more drinkable.

overall this is a good beer. the slight thinness to the mouthfeel and lack of bitterness leaves a little something to be desired, but it's definitely worth a try.

3.83/5  rDev +3%

Great colour to this beer. Gem-like and shiny amber, very smooth. Almost no head.

Sweet, malty smell -- canned tangerine oranges, and easily detectable alcohol.

Taste has a strong alcohol bite, even a little bit harsh. Stings the mouth. Once past that, it's quite pleasantly malty, with some hop presence that's overwhelmed by the yeast and alcohol. Slightly watery mouthfeel for a barleywine, but still smooth.

Could probably do with some aging to remove a bit of the bite, but still relatively easy drinking.

3.87/5  rDev +4%

2005 Edition

A - 1/2" slow forming dense khaki head. Head sticks around for a couple of minutes. Slow moving bubbles. Amber / golden in color. No lace.

S - Sweet aroma. Nice balance of malt and hops - neither dominates.

T - Sweet malt with a thorough hop bitterness in the finish.Tangy. Alcohol. Caramel / nuttiness. Slight hint of fruit. Mellow BW overall, I can see the 11.8% sneaking up quick though!

M - Big mouthfeel. Thick, coating. Mid-level carbonation.

D - Very nice! I was very excited to be able to sample this and Black Chocolate thanks to xcjetta. I have one more to look forward to as well!

Brooklyn Monster Ale from Brooklyn Brewery