Brooklyn Blast! | Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery
New York, United States
brooklynbrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

We brew our beer in New York, about halfway between the hop fields of the Pacific Northwest and the hop fields of Kent, England. So we use earthy English hops to build the foundation and bright citrusy American hops to bring the noise in the rambunctious IPA we call BLAST! British Maris Otter and German Pilsner malts lends solidity, balance and bready flavors to brace up a beer that’s beautifully hoppy, strangely quaffable and oddly compelling. Minerally hop bitterness is followed by a shock wave of flavor and aroma. You won’t even know what hit you.

Added by ommegangpbr on 09-15-2005

Ratings: 1,745 |  Reviews: 366
3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

4/5  rDev 0%

This one is a thick orange color that is actually quite clear but for the darkness of it. There's just a bit of head lingering, the same of which could be said for the very light lacing it achieves.
The first thing that hits me is that this is one of the juiciest beers I've ever had. It's extremely jammy, like certain red wines but more of a tropical and citrus fruit jam. It's like marmalade a but less sugary and more zesty, not exactly tart. The fruits bring all kinds of bitterness but almost seem somehow to balance themselves, though there is enough malt to round it out.
The body is medium, even leaning close to full, and the jasmines translates to the feel. It's plenty crisp and has a smooth flow even as it's body keeps even between sweet and dry.

3.4/5  rDev -15%

I picked up a bottle of Brooklyn Brewery's Brooklyn Blast! last week for $2.79 at The Lager Mill. I've been hitting the Fall seasonals pretty hard lately and I thought I would take a break from them with a DIPA that i haven't had before, I'm interested to see how this one turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks looks nice, it's got a clean and classy look to it, I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a very murky golden orange color that took on more of a darker orange color when held to the light with a little over a fingers worth of creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a pretty higher amount of medium sweetness that has a nice candied like aroma to it with the hops being the first to show up and they impart a nice fruity hops aroma with a nice citrus rind aroma sticking out the most, but there's also some floral and light green onion like hop aromas showing up in the background. Up next comes the malts which impart a caramel malt, sweet malt, caramel and light toffee like aromas. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, but I could have gone without the light green onion like aspect.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but it's lighter and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops still being the first to show up and they impart a much lighter version of how they showed up in the aroma and this time no single aspect sticks out the most. Up next comes the malts which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma and they are at about the same level, but this time there's a light grainy flavors.. On the finish there's a medium amount of bitterness that doesn't really linger and it has a sweet malt, citrus rind and light green onion like aftertaste. This was a decent tasting DIPA, but it wasn't as intense as it lead me to believe.

M- Smooth, fairly crisp, slightly sticky, a little watery, alcohol was well hidden, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. The beer had a nice mouthfeel, but it would be a little better if it didn't feel a little watery.

Overall I thought this was nice beer and I thought it was a slightly above average example of the style, it was going gong the direction of a pretty good DIPA, but when I got to the taste, things started to lighten up a little and it just wasn't as intense as I hoped it would be. This beer had decent drinkability, it was smooth, fairly crisp, slightly sticky, a little watery, alcohol was well hidden, it wasn't too filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, I think one is enough for me, there's nothing that makes me want to come right back for more. What I like the most about this beer was aroma the and appearance, they were both pretty nice and what I would expect from the style. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and mouthfeel, they were both just a little lighter than I would want. I don't think I would buy this beer again, but I wouldn't turn it down. I can't say I would recommend it as a great DIPA, but it's worth trying to see how you feel about it. All in all I'm glad I tried this beer, but it didn't blow me away by any means and in most aspects it seemed to be fairly average for the style. This isn't my favorite beer from this brewery and it's far from being a favorite DIPA. I appreciate the effort, but i think with just a little work this could be a pretty good DIPA, better luck next time guys.

3.76/5  rDev -6%

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

Bottle, the date is smudged, so not sure of age:
Pours a hazy dirty-yellow with a bit of orange. The pour had decent medium bubble head than fades to a gossamer film. Nose is toffee notes with a biscuity malt and some sweet fruit scents. I also get a wet blanket kinda smell, making me wonder about age-it's not bad and could be intended (to a degree), but not sure.

Taste starts with just a bit of grapefruit on top of the malt flavors that match the nose. The new taste evolves to an even lighter pine feel. The beer feels slightly flat compared to the visible head. I got a hint of alcohol when the beer is cold, not really any with a little warmth.

While there isn't anything wrong with this beer, it doesn't really excite me either.

3.7/5  rDev -7.5%