Brooklyn Blast! | Brooklyn Brewery

Ratings: 1,740 |  Reviews: 366

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

3.66/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Orange with tannish hues and pretty clear, not a whole lot of head or lace,l but it was a careful pour into a smaller that I usually use glass (due to location), so I won't ding it too much on that.

I'm a little conflicted on this one. This is my fourth of a four pack, and I've been noting what I think of it but waited till the last one to actually rate it. it's hoppy, and bitter, but in some ways it seems more pale ale like than DIPA like, and I actually had to do a double-take on it when I saw the classification and the ABV. ABV is pretty well hidden when it's cold. I didn't have a clue it was over 8% till I looked it up. It became a bit more evident as it warmed.

However, my beer-angst shouldn't be cause for a low rating of a tasty beer. Maybe my pallet just isn't as perfect as it should be. This is a tasty one, and I'm in no way disappointed with one of my favorite breweries, Brooklyn brewery.

Overall it's got a pretty clean hoppiness, with a little perfume and some piney notes, but no single hop type standing out individually, relatively high bitterness, and a solid malt backbone.

I'd say that lovers of over-hopped abominations probably won't go gaga over this, but given its categorization, I expect the ratings will be quite high anyway (they always are for anything IIPA or high ABV stout).

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

this one is actually very nice and clean. getting a lot of fresh pineapple , orange peel and lemon zest notes. slightly dry and bitter but mostly wet and palate coating, spice. quick bite of intensity into a rather mellow finish. good drink, lot of intense flavors

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

3.93/5  rDev -2.2%

Amber(-ish) gold in color, with a semi-aggressive pour yielding 2+ fingers of foam. Lacing was good but not nearly as intricate as I've found with some (D)IPAs. The aroma is fresh and, of course, hop-forward. According to the best-before date, this bottle is probably 8 or so weeks old so some fading has likely occurred. It's a more floral, fruity aroma than dank and pungent, for which it scores points from me. Some orange and even peach notes. A caramel maltiness comes through in the aroma as well.

The flavor profile is quite balanced for an DIPA, even though doubles can be less dry and thus less perceptibly bitter. Some characters of Brooklyn Lager in the malt backbone. There's still a solid citric astringency going on, but this isn't a typical big IBU take on the style. Still, between the citrus hop character and the not over the top malt bill, this is pretty enjoyable. Mouthfeel is smooth and slick, if perhaps the slightest bit undercarbed.

The "Blast!" moniker is quite a bit of a misnomer, as this is far from a west coast hop bomb. It's more of a gentleman's DIPA. Reminded me a bit of Chillwave, though not as well executed.

Brooklyn Blast! from Brooklyn Brewery