Brooklyn Winter Ale | Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery
New York, United States
brooklynbrewery.com

Style: Scottish Ale

Brooklyn completely changed the recipe in 2006. It’s now a Scottish-style ale. Brewmaster Garrett Oliver explained to us that: “There are no spices at all. Good British floor malts and hops along with our yeast strain account for all the flavors. It has a Scottish-style cooler fermentation, which pushes malt to the forefront rather than fruitiness.” It was brewed with Scottish Floor-malted Maris Otter, English crystal malts, Belgian Aromatic malt, American roasted malts, American oats and hopped with Willamette.

Added by dedrinker on 11-03-2006

Ratings: 1,123 |  Reviews: 480
3.45/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep brown with not a lot of carbonation. The smell has a good amount of nuttiness from the roasted malt with some nice sweet flavors like caramel coming through. The taste was sweet without being overtly heavy but was a bit more subtle with the flavor. Overall it was a nice beer but I wanted a bit more of the malt in the flavor.

2.86/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours a deep amber color. Purely transparent, but quite a striking color. Not much head, but a small amount is noticed.

The aroma reminds me of cinnamon raisin bread. Sweet, bready, and sugary like rum soaked raisins.

Flavor is lightly malty, and flat. The appearance definitely looks better than the flavor tastes.

I feel a higher level of carbonation, and possibly even a higher abv would suit this beer nicely. I think I was expecting something a bit better here from Brooklyn.

3.46/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.4/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.04/5  rDev -16.3%

3.28/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.91/5  rDev +7.7%

3.73/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Enjoyed this winter ale. Not what I expected but wonderful nonetheless.

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Scotch Ale taste...not my thing.

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.24/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

3.05/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Lackluster. Not outright bad, but disappointing.

3.22/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.14/5  rDev +14%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

3.68/5  rDev +1.4%

3.65/5  rDev +0.6%

3.44/5  rDev -5.2%

3.12/5  rDev -14%

3.33/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.52/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.98/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. Aroma- Has a nice hop and malt mix Appearance- This beer is copper colored with a small white head. Taste- Has a big malt flavor. Palate- A medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation. Overall- A real good beer.

3.07/5  rDev -15.4%

I picked up a bottle of Brooklyn Brewery's Winter Ale last week for $1.59 at The Lager Mill. I was looking for some winter seasonals to try and since I haven't had this one I thought I would give it a shot, so lets see how it goes. Best by April 5th 2015. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looked ok, it's pretty typical for this brewery, but I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a fairly clear amber color that took on more of a red color when held to the light with two fingers worth of creamy light tan head that died down to a really thin ring that stayed till the and it left pretty much no lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, but I wish it had some lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart some nice caramel malt, sweet malt and caramel like aromas. Up next comes the yeast which imparts a big fruity English Ale yeast flavor that seems to stick out the most in this beer. This beer had an ok aroma, but I wish it was more balanced, the fruity yeast seemed a little too dominating.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same caramel and sweet malt aspects with a slight bit of grainy malts coming through. Up next comes the yeast which imparts the same strong fruity English Ale yeast flavors that still is the aspect that sticks out the most. On the finish there's a pretty much no bitterness with a caramel malt and fruit yeast aftertaste. The taste was ok, but it was as unbalanced as the aroma.

M- Smooth, not too crisp, medium bodied with a higher amount of low carbonation. This beer had a decent mouthfeel, but i wish it has some more carbonation.

Overall I thought this was an ok beer and I thought it was an average example of the style, it really didn't seem to Scotch Ale like, it reminded more of an average English ale, especially with that fruity English ale yeast flavor sticking out the most. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, not too crisp, not too filling, but the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention and one would be enough for me, the flavors doesn't want to me make drink another one. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance it was a pretty nice looking beer. What I like the least about this beer was the balance, I wish the caramel malts showed up more and the fruity yeast showed up less. I wouldn't buy this beer again, but I wouldn't turn it down, it just isn't something that I'm that into. I can't say I would recommend this beer, it doesn't have any aspect that makes it stand out. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer and in the end I wanted better balance from it. It's on the lower end for this brewery and it's in the middle for the style. I appreciate the effort, but this one just isn't for me, better luck next time.

3.29/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Brooklyn Winter Ale from Brooklyn Brewery