Brooklyn Local 1 | Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery
New York, United States
brooklynbrewery.com

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Brewed with German malts and hops, first-pressing Demerara cane sugar from Mauritius, and a Belgian yeast strain. 100% bottle re-fermentation; OG=18.5; AE=1.7. Classified as a "strong saison" by Garrett Oliver.

Added by akorsak on 02-18-2007

4.8

firstprev| 2026-2050 | 2051-2075 | 2076-2100  | next → last
Ratings: 2,093 |  Reviews: 925
4.63/5  rDev +12.4%

This beer rocks!!! It's a saison all the way. It's closest to DuPont Avec... However it doesn't have the cognac taste. It is beguiling.It's actually a changeling...the flavor goes from sweet to citric...I'd prefer you to drink it in lieu of telling you about it. Somethings are better left unsaid. Garrett...your love of the style shines through. Thank you...Case up...and make this a regular offering particularly in Chicago please.

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

Interesting looking 25oz'er pours clear golden with a white head that does leave some lacing behind on the glass. Aroma shows some sweetness/fruitiness, but mostly yeastiness. Flavor too is full of yeastiness with a bit of spice. 9% alcohol is clearly there, limiting drinkability & adding to an already somewhat dryish finish. Somewhat spritzy carbonation levels. Interesting beer for sure, but not really much like other Saisons I've had, perhaps more like the Strong Goldens? (or a "smaller" Tripel)

4.34/5  rDev +5.3%

Found Brooklyn's Local 1 to be a great offering, it was very refreshing and crisp. The higher alcohol didn't overpower the flavor. The aroma was amazing, it just kept pulling me back for one more sniff. I will be looking forward to Brooklyn's next big bottle beer.

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

I picked this up last week at a local place where I get a lot of my beer from. After seeing lots of articles and hearing the publicity over this, I was excited to try it and see how good Brooklyn's first "big bottle" was. Most of their other offerings were enjoyable and well-crafted, and I figured that Garrett would not let me down with this highly anticipated brew. After working my way down it over a nice, long period the other night, I have to say that beer met my expectations of it!

This had a very nice pour to it - golden, with a beautiful head and the lacing to match. My first sips of this were strong - with a very crisp, sharp taste to it and a strong alcohol kick to it. As it warmed up and I worked my way down, it resembled it's listed style of saison more and more. It was more doughy, and the sediment on the bottom enlivened the taste as I got closer and closer to it. It was champagne-like in it's texture, but never light enough to where I could ignore what I was tasting. It just grew on me very quietly, and it's rare that I've had a beer that changed this much from start to finish.

Sure, it took a lot of getting used to, and the alcohol can be felt here, but this is to be savored and enjoyed at a comfortable clip. There's no hop bitterness here, and the quality of the ingredients really stands out since this is solid from start to finish. It's hard to picture this as a saison, since the bottle fermentation leads me to believe this is a more Belgian-type style than that. No matter - Brooklyn's to be commended for going out on a limb, coming up with another Milton Glaser-packaged gem, and for brewing in the Borough that it calls home. Here's hoping that the Express 2 is on it's way down the track!

4.01/5  rDev -2.7%

A-Pours a cloudy yellow with hints of orange. a deep thick head about one inch thick. Very nice lacing here. It clings to the glass very well.

S-Main contributer here is the yeast, but it actually is quite mild. Some faint hopping.

T-Very much on the yeasty side, it doesnt taste Belgian but is a good representation. The yeast is interesting, kind of like the Unibroue strain but not as potent. This is followed up by a dry grass like hop taste and some sweetness.

M-Effervecent and medium bodied.

D-I could suck this down if it was cheaper. I wouldnt call this a Saison and i think it is mislabeled on this site. This is almost more like a Belgian Pale, or a light Tripel. This one is hard to score because it doesnt fit squarely into a traditional style. In the end this is a tasty beer and one i will be getting again.

3.6/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Wow. Just the smell of this beer makes me giggly with anticipation. I like saison's a lot. If I see them out, I love to try them. I find them always well balanced and medium bodied. Very nice change of pace from my normal stout and barley wine love.

Pours a unfiltered wheaty puke yellow. Little light head, plenty oif lacing.

Smells unbelievable. Yeasty, lemon, citrus. Floral and I do get ABV in there. Needless to say Im excited.

Kinda bitter up front. Not hoppy, but bitter. It doesnt feel as balanced and full as it smells. The middle is boring, and the finish is somewhat alcohol biting. I wonder if this beer needs to sit, this is a fresh purchase. My guess is the Belgium ingedients make for this taste, definately not what Im used to.

Very nicely carbonated. Sits very well, nothing harsh here.

Overall disappointed. With the smell and pour I was ready for fireworks. It tastes more like a wheat than a typical saison. I know this one was brewed and bottled differently than most as with a Belgium twist, but overall for the style the taste didnt do it for me. I hope time will make this one better, or maybe this could be reclassified closer to a belgium pale (reminds me of Orval).

4.7/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Brooklyn in da house!

750ml bottle, corked and caged. Beautiful bottle and even a nice looking cork!

Poured slightly below room temperature into my Duvel tulip glass creating a huge white fluffy head.
Color is a pale gold, with a lot of clarity, and visible carbonation (I guess if the "D" at the bottom of my glass was a "B" it would have been more?).

Aroma is nice estery banana bubblegum with candy, yeasty sweetness.

Taste is a bit more mellow compared to the aroma, the sweetness is diminished. More sharp/light lemon, with lots of mineral flavor. A very dry finish.

Mouthfeel is very nice, a perfect medium body with just enough carbonation felt on the cheeks and tongue, but low enough to create a soft pillowy effect. Extremely low bitterness.

9% abv will prevent you from drinking too much of this beer, but over quite a few hours and a bunch of spicy seafood (calamari with hot sauce and shrimp fra diablo in my case) you can put down a fair amount of this fine beer I like to call, 'Belgium in Brooklyn'!

3.11/5  rDev -24.5%

Appearance – This is gorgeous! It’s a beautiful hazy orange in color with an amazing, stubborn head that left plenty of lacing.

Smell – The yeast is strong here. I’m getting an American-style yeast that seems off from the classic Saison nose. Besides that the malts are a bit grainy and the hops predominantly floral and very mild.

Taste – The American-style yeast drives the flavor profile as well. The light floral hops and classic grain taste rounds things out.

Mouthfeel – This is in between light and medium-bodied with a nice, velvety mouthfeel.

Drinkability – I thought this was off from the style but not a bad mix of ingredients.

3.78/5  rDev -8.3%

750 mL bottle bought from DAG in Park Slope, Brooklyn. Usually these corks are easier to get out, oh well. Poured a cloudy orange color. Lovely. It had a nice fluffy 1" head. Fruity/citrus smell, then flavor. Mouthfeel is right on. Nice and quaffable, almost chewy. Fairly drinkable, but one bottle is enough. Very good over all. I was very excited about this release, but I think I will be sticking with Hennepin in the future....actually I'll probably have a few more this year. But Hennepin is about half the price for similar quality.

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours an almost clear perfect gold color with a sticky bright white head that leaves lacing and a collar. Very intriguing aroma of interesting sweet aromatics (left over from the sugar, I assume) along with some earthy hop notes and a slightly oxidized (after some time warming up in the glass) pearish smell. On the palate, huge carbonation and a touch of that Mauritian sugar, followed by substantial hop bitterness and raw alcohol. Some spiciness comes out at the finish (tastes like a yeast byproduct, not added spices), which is quite dry and long. Mouthfeel is full of carbonation, with some hoppy acidity but also some residual sugar making for a medium body. The mouthfeel is what places this somewhere between a dry saison and a thicker, sweeter Belgian golden ale. Overall, this is quite an interesting brew, sitting as it does between two famous and important styles. It will be interesting to see how this brew ages, but for right now it combines some of the better characteristics of each style without sacrificing much in the way of flavor or mouthfeel.

4.38/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Brooklyn in the house!
No, really. This bottled offering was actually brewed in Brookyln, as opposed to the usual Utica-ally bottled brews. I suppose the name of the beer is related to this factoid.
Upon pouring I almost get the danger of a Belgian strong pale ale, a la Duvel with a big aggressive head that threatens to take over the world. Fortunately it is polite enough to keep all of itself inside the glass (my Czechvar cervoise in this case). The color is a pretty dirty blonde... you know the sort I mean... the kind that makes eyes at you from across the room. A pretty enough pour for a multi million dollar beer commercial.
Scents remind me a bit of the last time I had La Fin du Monde. A bit boozey sweet but with fresh citrus layers and effervescence. You get some sort of warning of an alcoholic kick but no real alarm bells.
Flavors start out sweet but they dry up right quick in a rye cracker kind of way. There's a realy solid dry malt spine to this... fresh toasted grains that play back and forth with the sweetness. I dig it.
Mouthfeel is multidimensional. It's both smooth and oily with a lingering bitter tingle near the back of the tongue. Rye cracker, again, lightly buttered with a thin layer of apricot/tangerine jelly on top.
Drinkability is very high for something this strong. A bit of age will likely serve this one well but as it stands is a fine version of American made Belgian brew. This is one I'd like try in a taste test next to Westmalle tripel, La Fin Du Monde and Southampton's tripel. Such would make for a tasty time and some critical comparisons.
Brooklyn Local 1 easily holds its own with those big boys (or ladies as they may be). Found my 750 mL bottles for 9.99 (or a 2 for $16) on Freshdirect.com. Beer delivered to your door. It's good to be alive.

4.57/5  rDev +10.9%

3/18/2007 $7.75 750 mL 9.00% No best by date. 100% bottle fermented. Bottle labeled 0327.

Appearance:

After battling with the cork, a small pop is emitted, and this pours a hazy color reminiscent of peaches, topped by a quarter inch of tight white head that has lasting power.

Aroma:

Fresh floral and citrus aroma, with touches of honey and banana. This one is all over the place, and all of those places smell delicious.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

I must say I am very impressed. I didn't know that Brooklyn had it in them to make a beer of this sophistication. Very nuanced, subtle flavors that emerge layer upon layer as the beer warms in the mouth. The intense carbonation lets the various flavors of banana, honey, lemons, flowers and anise dance across the tongue. Finish has a nice herbal hop bitterness to it. This is on par with the best Saisons I've ever had (Southampton Cuvee Des Fleurs springs to mind).

Kudos to Garrett Oliver for producing the best new beer, and perhaps best beer period to grace my lips yet this year.

3.53/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A strong Saison, eh?

I'll admit, upon my first sip of this beer, I didn't think much of it. At first, it was too subtle for me, and only with great mental effort did I break out of this extreme, hoppy, High Gravity (110 Tribe, what!), souped-up beer mode in order to enjoy the subtle flavors of this brew.

Now granted, I'm not saying I had an epiphany and think this is the second coming. It's a good beer, I'll give it that. The smell has a slight sour-apple, boozy, grainy, yeast thing going on. It's a light smell, not overpower. A bit vinegary too.

The taste is a wee bit sweet at first, then the tartness sets in. The hops are herbal and grassy, with some graininess in the taste. Sugary sweetness dominates throughout. Alcohol heat comes through on the backend.

Mouthfeel is a little oily. Carbonation is light. All around it's a good beer, not greatly impressive to me, and I don't think I'm missing the point of the style. It just doesn't suit me incredibly well.

4.45/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Interesting bottle, caged and corked, no freshness indication. Pours light yellow , cloudy, supporting a long lasting fluffy looking near white head. Leaves nice looking splotchy/spotty and ringed lacing. Nice looking beer. Bright, fresh smelling. Notes of more lime, pepper, yeast, grassy, smells so good, time to dive in for a swig. More lime, Belgiany yeast, peppery spice, gin, honey, melon, soap, yum, sucker for the style and this one has got it going on. Fine creation from Brooklyn. Looking forward to trying it with a nice summer meal, salad, cheeses, chicken, fish, BBQ etc. Wide and year round distribution in the NYC area hopefully...life is good...

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a clear golden/yellow with a large white frothy head. The head leaves great lacing and lasts along time. The color is alot lighter than other strong ales,but it does look good. The smell is pungent with sweet malt,alcohol,lemon,pepper,and corriander. The smell is candy sugar,lemon,wheat,pepper,and alcohol. Not ,bad,but I have to say this is more like a Saison than a strong ale. The m/f is light with all the flavors mixing very well. A very good beer that I think is listed in the wrong style.

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

Brooklyn meets Belgium -- two of my favorite beer sources -- in the latest offering from the Brooklyn Brewery. The Local 1 comes in an unusual 750-ml bottle (the cursive, trademark "B" is etched subtly into the neck of the bottle and absent entirely from the large label). This batch is brewed using 100 percent refermentation--a rare method in which the beer is conditioned within the bottles, not before--giving it a natural effervescence. The resulting ale has a rich, golden color with a cloudy head that never entirely disappears and leaves a bubbly lace residue when swirled in the glass (I used a wine glass). Aromatic and sweetly scented. It's light on the tongue but has a complex flavor, with a hint of honey that masks the high alcohol content (9% ABV), and no bitter aftertaste.

4.38/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served from a chilled 750ml corked bottle into a St Bernardus goblet. The bottle itself is quite interesting, and unlike anything I've seen from Brooklyn before. I almost didn't realize at first who made this, since the main label lacks the stylized B logo, and it comes in a fancy, two-ringed glass bottle. Being a long-time Brooklyn fan (not to mention resident), I knew I had to try this one. I am sampling bottle 267.

Local 1 pours a bright, cloudy golden color, with a big fluffy white head, and is rather reminiscent of a Duvel in that regards. The head comes down quite a bit, but never disappears, and leaves a bit of lacing behind. A very nice looking ale.

The nose is yeasty and spicy, with hints of clove, orange, and coriander, followed by a fairly strong candy sugar smell.

The taste follows up and exceeds on the promises of the scent. A slightly yeasty opening, mellowing with the slight touch of German hops brings the bitterness up front, while the more delicate bready and malt character follows. The finish is definitely on the sweet side, but not nearly as cloying as some Belgian-style ales can be; I felt that the sugar elements were well-integrated in the flavor in a way that many American BSPAs strike out on. In addition, for an ale this strong, the alcohol flavor is largely absent. A very tasty Belgian-style ale in my opinion.

The mouthfeel has substance, but is smooth and in no way a hindrance to enjoyment.

Drinkability is very good. Luckily, there is enough in the bottle to split amongst friends :)

When did Williamsburg get moved to Belgium? And did anyone alert the (wannabe/ex-) hipsters? Seriously though, this has become my favorite American Belgian-style ale, and is easily one of the best Belgian Strong Pale Ales overall. This is an excellent ale, and any fan of the style owes it to themselves to give it a try.

3.8/5  rDev -7.8%

A bottle of the new release, Local 1, served at the Winterfest at the General Lafayette. This beer was poured here approx. one month before its general release.

A: The ale is a golden yellow color with a respectable head that has held up well after multiple pours.

S: The aroma from the ale is spicy with coriander notes taking control early. Candi sugars and Belgian yeast create an explosively fruity nose.

T: The ale reminds me of LaChouffe. It has a soft golden ale body, malty with a strong spice profile. There are spicy peppery coriander notes and a nice sweet honey profile that take charge over the malty biscuit profile. The hops are minimal but the spice profile more than makes up for it. The flavor doesn't show off the candi sugars that the nose did.

M: The mouthfeel is a nice, strong on the spice without overpowering the malt body.

D: The ale is very drinkable. The abv is moderate and the spice profile is a strong enough to make this an enjoyable beer.

firstprev| 2026-2050 | 2051-2075 | 2076-2100  | next → last