Brooklyn Black OPS | Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery
New York, United States
brooklynbrewery.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Brooklyn Black Ops (2008 commercially available version) was aged for four months in bourbon barrels, bottled flat, and re-fermented in the bottle with Champagne yeast. 940 cases produced.

10.7%-2008

Added by RixBeer on 12-20-2007

4.1

Ratings: 2,416 |  Reviews: 851

1.42/5  rDev -65.4%

Bad. Just bad. Thin. Muted flavors. Odd combination of champagne that merges with a bourbon nuanced... stout? Drainpour beer. Do not pay 18+$ for this garbage.

1.5/5  rDev -63.4%

1.72/5  rDev -58%

I really wanted to like this beer. I like bourbon and I love stout. Plus, I paid a dear price for the bottle.

I opened it with two beer-loving friends and we couldn't drink it. With much regret, I poured it down the drain.

A - Rich black color with a tan head that dissipates quickly.

S - Wow. Smells like bourbon. I was expecting more of a blend with the stout.

T - The bourbon flavor overpowers everything. There might be something more going on underneath, but I can't really taste it.

M - Mouthburn, as you'd get with liquor, and a thin texture, but a lot of carbonation. Not rich and smooth, as I'd expect in a stout.

O - I know they went to great lengths to do this project, but unfortunately, it's just not my thing.

1.75/5  rDev -57.3%

1.8/5  rDev -56.1%

Tasted at Philly Real Ale Invitational - 2009 at Yards Brewery.

Brooklyn Black Ops is opaque black...lots of alcohol and bourbon notes rush the nose and palate, just like its name describes, it's a covert, black ops taste - stealthy and deadly.

Personally: My tastebuds and I can not get into bourbon infused, super powerful 10W-30 strength imperial stouts.

2.02/5  rDev -50.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Shared with some friends at a tasting I hosted last weekend 5/1/11.

A: Midnight black in color with a dark brown chocolate colored head. This is about as good as this beer is going to get. Read on.

S: The smell was weak. Faint chocolate aroma, mild burnt nutty aroma, bourbon and kind of a gassy alcoholic aroma.

T&M: Miserable. I'm sorry, but this is waaaay too light bodied for a RIS. It's super DRY (possibly over attenuated from the champagne yeast, or mashed REALLY low). The flavors I'd expect from a RIS are completely missing here, or so lackluster that they're insignificant. It tasted like fizzy, dry, highly diluted chocolate water that had alcohol in it. I couldn't finish my glass.

O: Total disappointment. I wouldn't try again. I'm not sure how others have rated this so high, but taste is subjective so who knows. This was horrible though...

2.12/5  rDev -48.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

Honestly I've had better imperial stouts, black ops is definitely not worth the $25. You really have to let it sit on your pallet for a while to form a opinion of flavor. It's more vanilla (Madagascar) dominant, not the traditional coffee, espresso, chocolate, flavors you'd expect.

-cheers

2.15/5  rDev -47.6%

A - very dark with a tight large head that laces very well.

S - smells very apcohol-like to me. However that is probably because of the bourbon and champagne portions of the brewing. Not very stout like.

T - tastes like a car-bomb or whatever it is called when you toss a shot glass into a beer. There is not much stout flavor to grab onto or rate. I do not like hard alcohol so this flavor combination is not for me.

M - typical hard alcohol tingles and burn, just a milder than usual shots.

D - if you like bourbon then you will like this. I do not so I do not. I do not like dissing this brew, but it is not my bag.

2.21/5  rDev -46.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2012 - Paid ridiculous price, cellared for over 2 years, EXTREMELY DISSAPOINTED.

Thin and watery. Bourbon overwhelms the weak base beer. Bourbon gets stronger as it warms.

Also,...Holly Hunter is a whore.

2.24/5  rDev -45.4%

vintage 2010

A: Pours black and I can't see a damn thing thru it. A three finger dark mocha head of fine foam falls slowly to a quilt of the same. Little to no lacing. The champagne yeast is obvious in the head formation.

S: Lees. Some licorice, plastic, molasses, banana. Sweet mixed with hearty smells are poorly mingled here.

T: More creamy lees. Astringent alcohol. The bourbon is cheap feeling. Just not good. Reminds me of KGB '11 (Widmer).

M: Empty and hollow body. Overly carbonated (even after recapping for a night in the fridge. Extra dry.

O: Yep, I tried this beer, wanted to be sure about my palate so I threw in the fridge with a champagne cork only to have the near-same experience the next night. Poor beer.

Brooklyn Black OPS from Brooklyn Brewery