Brooklyn Local 2 | Brooklyn Brewery

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009

Reviews: 542 | Ratings: 1,398
4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

A - a very confusing appearance. Tons of head and retention, zero lacing. Strange color of a dark red, almost wine-like when held up to a light. If this was painted, there would be reds, purples, greens and browns.

S - awesome. Citrus, raisin, nothing like the way it looks. Slightly starchy but very "in your face."

T - more impressive stats in this category, but again, total confusion. Tip-toes the line of complex vs confused/muddled. Surprisingly light and tasty. I wish I could be more descriptive, but its one of those drinks you really just need to try.

M - very very good. Coats the tongue in a very delicious way, bubbles in your mouth and goes down smooth. Content masked.

O - one of the harder reviews I've had to write, but highly recommend this.

4.15/5  rDev +3%

Dark caramel color, dense long-lasting head. Smells like ... Belgian yeast esters! And dark fruit. Maybe I'm weird, but it tastes like cola, as well as raisin, a little bit of bread, maybe a touch of alcohol. Highly carbonated, as expected, medium body. Over all, about what I expected--dark Belgian strong ales frequently taste like cola to me. But there's much more to it than that, and I like it.

4.29/5  rDev +6.5%

a - color ranges from amber to darkness, complete with a 3-finger caramel-color head that drops to a cover. Not much lacing.

s - smells great. sweet and spicy belgian.

t - tasty standard belgian leaning toward the sweet side. Nice. A little alcohol is apparent but nothing overwhelming.

m - mellow carbonation with a medium mouthcoating. Relatively light in body. The dry finish arrives as advertised. A bit of warmth on the swallow.

d - very drinkable. Pretty solid masking for a 9% ABV. I bought another bottle to age...if it lasts that long. Maybe I got my hopes up but I think I would grab the Local 1 before the Local 2.

UPDATE: The ABV jumps out as it warms. Taking taste from a 4.5->4.

3.86/5  rDev -4.2%

Interesting beer full of surprises. I imagine that BA is calling it a BSDA not Brooklyn because I this deviates from the style a bit. Not that I mind

Pours dark and fizzy

Aroma is interesting. Familiar nutty, earthy yeast. Brown sugar. Smidge of orange.

Taste lacks the sweet malty taste and dark fruit tastes that one would expect from a dark Belgian-style. No lack of complexity though. Bread, orange, smoke, spice. Bitter and extremely dry finish.

Thinish but evervescent mouthfeel. Very drinkable. Alcohol is there but acceptably so.

3.17/5  rDev -21.3%

Probably some of the best head retention Ive ever seen in a beer. It nice dark brown with 3 fingers of white head that seem to last forever!!!! the aroma is ok,Brown sugar, malty, spiciness from the Belgium yeast. The taste is about the same. Very dry mouth feel. Overall this is an OK beer. It is nothing grand. I was expecting a lot more, but this just the beer equivalent to table wine. Nothing against the brewery. I have enjoyed there local 1 and Sarachi ace.But I don't think I would go out of way for this one again!

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Caged and corked large brown glass bottle. Sweet with a slightly plastic(?) aroma. Head dissipates reasonably quickly with some lacing. Taste is of a delicious coffee/chocolate nature, with a warm finish. Very little alcohol flavor for such a big beer. Would definitely have this again, but putting back an entire bomber by yourself should not be entered into lightly.

3.92/5  rDev -2.7%

It's handy when they have the BA ratings posted at the store. This is what caught my eye to give this a try.

a- A medium brown color with a light brown and long lasting head.

s- Smells sweet, like plum and raisin

t- This is a pretty tasty beer, similar to the taste of Chimay Red, but is also very unique in the after taste

m- You can really taste the alcohol in this one and the mouthfeel could be better

d- Overall I'd say this is a really good beer, especially for the price it was a bit cheaper than comparable beers of the same style.

3.58/5  rDev -11.2%

Champagne bottle into tulip glass!

A: 3/4 inch head and big bubbles (yay bottle conditioning!) Brown body with red hues. Wavy lacing.

S: Banana's and bubble gum!

T: Slight banana, bready, slight citrus. As it warmed up in my hands the bubble gun sugary fruit was evident.

F: Tickles, medium to heavy bodied. Syrupy at the end.

D: Smell was great, taste was interesting. When going for bubble gum and bananas I think I'll stick with wizendoppelbocks. Still very glad I tried it, and the individual bottle conditioning was a great idea, beautiful looking beer!

4.39/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a snifter.

A - dark brown, nearly no head
S - honey, orange, apricots, apples
T - honey, citrus, apples, hops, some spice or something
M - medium bodied, good bit of carbonation
D - The alcohol sneaks up on you quickly at 9%, but this is an awesome beer! Not real heavy, but pretty complex, yet completely drinkable all night and with a variety of food.

4.17/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured in to a tulip glass. Tried to pour this gently, at an angle, but created excessive head that required patience to fill the glass.

Color and appearance was a little disappointing. Very murky, opaque dark chocolate look. Smell really didn't leap out of the glass at me. Pretty restrained notions of sugar, raisins and caramel.

Taste was sweet, but did not have an overly long finish. Sweet roasted malts, raisins again and candied fruits.

Unfortunately, the pour was the first hint of the execessive carbonation this beer exhibits. Really has an adverse impact on the drikability of an otherwise decent tasting strong dark ale.

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

Comes in a corked and caged 750ml bottle. Extra credit for presentation here...keepin' it classy, Brooklyn.

Pours a deep, rich chocolate brown with an off-white head that reduces fairly quickly but nonetheless lingers throughout.

Smells of malt sweetness, with some bready honey and a bit of spice in the background. Complex, especially as it warms up.

Equally complex taste. Somewhat typical of a solid Belgian dubbel to start, but with some nice notes of yeast and honey that stand out slightly without being ingratiating. As it warms, the alcohol comes in, as does a bit of caramel and chocolate, along with a nice warming alcohol.

Mouthfeel is quite nice, with a good bite and soothing warmth as you work through the bottle.

Very drinkable, and dangerously so. A bottle of this will do you for the evening. I had this with roasted pork and it worked very well together. I'd also do this with a good chocolate dessert or some high-end cheese and fruit.

3.2/5  rDev -20.6%

The bottle discretely states: "Ale brewed with honey and citrus peel". Sounds good to me so I bought a bottle.

I have mixed impressions here. It is a decent Abbey influenced beer, but the taste is not evoking either honey or citrus peel. Still, its a good beer - but pretty much a straight belgian style ale...and not particularly distinctive.

The malt notes strike me as a bit muted and the overall mouthfeel is a bit more liquidy than I would expect for this style. Also there is a slight lagerish nose which turns me off a bit.

I'm not going to pan it completely, but I probably won't be drinking this one again unless they refine the recipe a bit. This has potential, but it's just not quite there yet for me. It needs to be more distinctive and exhibit a bit more character. This one seems a bit timid.

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured into a Stone tulip to kick off the NFL playoffs.

A - Dark and brown with a wonderfully fluffy head. Lacing was minimal but consistent down the glass. A very nice looking beer.

S - MMM... Malts and sweetness over all. Some citrus notes and plums. Very inviting.

T - A non-cloying sweetness up front is met with a nice caramel malt flavor. The orange peel shows up in the middle, married well with some hop bitterness. It opened up as it warmed a bit, displaying more of the alcohol and caramel flavors. Wonderfully complex!

M - The carbonation was mild, and the beer left a nice carpet of flavor across my tongue. It wasn't too heavy but it had some nice "staying power" on the palate.

D - A little heavy for a sessionable beer, but highly drinkable. Would be fantastic with a nice roast. Pair this with some food and it will be a fantastic complementary beverage.

Big fan of Local 1, but Local 2 might be better. At a very reasonable price, this is a beer that could make its way to my table frequently.

3.29/5  rDev -18.4%

A-Pours medium brown with a thick beautiful head.

S-Bready smell dominates with a faint touch of unidentified spice and candy.

T-Malty and candy like with bitterness at the back of the tongue.

M-Thin and watery.

O-Overall, a drinkable beer, but not very complex. Worth a try, but not one that I'll buy again. I'll stick with local number 1.

brooklyn local #2

OMG! i think i found the worlds best beer .

P/A=pours a dark burnt caramel color with a off white three finger head that cascades like a guinness.

S= chocolate, hazelnuts, caramel,chocolate malt, barely their citrus.

T= chocolate malt, Hazelnut, caramel, heaven.

This is the best beer i've had best 7 bucks i've ever spent you have to be stupid not to like this.

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

750 ml poured into a triple karmeliet tupip

Appearance - dark brown almost black with a strong head. As soon as I unwound the cage the cork fired off violently! The head poured very strong...at least three fingers high. Lacing was amazing, maybe the best I've ever seen. Slight chilled haze to the beer.

Smell - The smell is quite nice with honey and brown sugar being the most evident qualities. The malts are caramel, roasted coffee, and chocolate. No hops are evident. There is also a strong smell of dark fruits.

Taste - The taste is much more complex than I expected. The malts are the dominant flavor with dark chocolate, roasted coffee, and caramel. There is a slight sourness which I really like. The Belgian yeasts are also present but relatively subdued. The alcohol is masked well. The flavor really reminded me of a Cigar City brew.

Mouthfeel - The beer is relatively thick but effervescent in carbonation.

Drinkability - I loved this beer. Although a strong brew, I could definitely have another. The 750ml was easy to get through! I'm looking forward to exploring more of Brooklyn Brewery!

4.23/5  rDev +5%

A - Pretty dark and hazy. I like it a lot. Nice brownish/tan head. Very nice.

S - Very nice. Sweet, from the candi sugar. Almost fruity, but not hoppy. Something different. Love it.

T - AHHhhh. Great. Sweet, caramelly. Touch of a honey like taste even though the honey was fermented out

M - Nice carbonation levels. Crisp taste. Finishes rather dry on the tip of the tongue.

Overall a wonderful beer. By far my most favorite of their beers.

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I love this beer and will pick it up whenever I see it. One of Brooklyn Breweries better offerings.

Tastes like a quality Belgian. Nice fruit notes and complexity.

4.07/5  rDev +1%

A: Pours deep pale orange, comes out looking dark brown with an orange tint, rambunctious head that's tough to control. With patience, pouring slowly along the side of the glass, a proudly bubly light orange head forms, with an extremely clinging grey touch on the sides.
S: Deep syrup, sweet tone of dark fruit and hops.
T: Honey, plum, syrupy on the teeth, touch of citrus peel. A well-developed beer.
M: Well-carbonated, medium-to-heavy bodied.
D: Very drinkable, but heavy--not much of a session beer.

750ml bottle from American Beer Distributors, Cobble Hill, BK

4.87/5  rDev +20.8%

A: Dark ruby with an off white head that lasts a long time.

S: Dark fruit, belgian yeast, spices.

T: Sweet dark fruit, banana, clove, and caramel malts. The dark fruits just get more prominent as it warms. Excellent flavor.

M: Great carbonation and mouthfeel. Only a slight note of booziness.

D: Very drinkable and excellent representation of the style. I have sought this beer out several times in the last couple of months, which is not my usual MO. I think that says a lot about how I feel about this beer. Just make sure you let it warm. That's when it really comes alive!

3.73/5  rDev -7.4%

kind of reminded me of Unibroue trois Pistoles, but not quite as good

a: opaque dark brown-black. nice thick head at the start but fading down to a thin covering. carbonation is so high that it keeps it coming.

s: fairly neutral, but fruity, esthery, perhaps plum

t: slight belgian flavor (would like this to be more significant. at times the alcohol pokes through, but mostly fairly maxed. slight iron-taste. fruity, flowery taste/smell. bitter, chocolate/coffee malt taste

m: very highly carbonated. coats the mouth...is this from the honey? sweet up front, but dry finish

d: after a little while the alcohol shows up. high carbonation makes drinking this a little sharp.

good beer overall, but as I said, I think I prefer Trois Pistoles.

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

VERY nice: Very deep caramel brown color, smooth drinking, caramel flavors are most prominent, slightly floral. Medium body, big and full on the palette. It may very well not last until the entree is served...

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance was mahogany-dark finish just a bit lighter than a belgian dubbel. Smell was sweet and warm. My first taste seemed to be dominated by brown sugar and molasses. On the second and third taste, a wonderfully complex beer emerged. Although a little bit drier, this reminds me a bit of Trois Pistoles (which is a good thing to me). Mouthfeel was very complex (are those raisins I taste?). Absolutely wonderful drinkability. An exceptional beer from Brooklyn. Great job!

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

A- Dark brown color with an off-white head.

S- Dark fruits, honey and a little chocolate.

T- Stone fruits (plums & cherries) sprinkled with dark brown sugar with a hint of coffee. It's also a little spicy, like Dr. Pepper, and I mean that in a good way. It's a real good belgian strong dark ale overall that has a medium body.

Food Pairing- Would go great as a dessert beer or with a cheese plate.

3.31/5  rDev -17.9%

The beer poured a deep, murky brown with reddish highlights. It's head was a dirty brown color, 2-3 fingers thick, and frothy. The head had good retention, sticking around for quite a while, and leaving some lacing on the glass.

The smell was fairly complex, and predominantly wild and sweet. There was a tart smell, apple cider and spice that dominated the nose at first. It then gave way to more grassy aromas - hay and other sweet plant smells, with a hint of flowers underneath. The smell of honey comes through as well. Even though it says it was brewed with citrus and honey, I didn't notice any citrusy smells, although it could have been masked by one of the other aromas.

The taste was initially round and sweet, with some of the hay flavors coming through as well. I didn't notice citrus in the taste either, so it made me wonder what exactly was going on with that. Still the smell was a fairly good indicator of the flavors of the beer, and I got some apple in the taste. The one major surprise was the moderate level of bitterness present in the back of the mouth, leaving a rounded bitter aftertaste that sticks with you for a while. However, there was a disturbing medicinal flavor, possibly from the honey, possibly from the alcohol, but it sat just around the edges of the flavor and reminded me of vicks vapo-rub or minty breath spray. I tried to ignore it and just enjoy the beer, but it kept getting in the way for me.

In the mouth the beer sits somewhat thick, round, and heavy. It's got a substantial feel to it. The carbonation is moderately high, but round rather than sharp. I found the carbonation a little distracting as I drank the beer, and I felt like this was contributing to the medicinal flavor somehow. The beer was on the wet side, and at first was warming from the alcohol, especially in the throat.

I felt that this brew was a little bit of a chore to get down. It's disappointing because I had such high hopes for it. There were definitely some very good aspects to the flavor, but between the high carbonation and the medicinal quality I had a hard time focusing on them. The sweetness was a little cloying, and the bitterness although unexpected did not offset it quite enough for my tastes. As the glass progresses it gets a bit better as the carbonation drops off some. I really enjoyed the wildness in the aroma and flavor too. All in all it's decent, but not one I'd go out of my way for. The balance just seems off.

Brooklyn Local 2 from Brooklyn Brewery