Brooklyn Sorachi Ace | Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery
New York, United States
brooklynbrewery.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

This is a saison featuring the rare Japanese-developed hop Sorachi Ace. The Sorachi Ace hop varietal is noted for its unique lemon zest/lemongrass aroma.

Added by rtepiak on 07-29-2009

11%

Ratings: 2,827 |  Reviews: 708
3.2/5  rDev -21.8%

Served in a Sloeber tulip glass.

A nice extra catch when I found the BCBCS. It pours a somewhat hazy (though mostly clear) plae golden straw capped by over a finger of bright white foam. The nose comprises lemon zest, a light funk, cardamom, hay, and mandarin oranges. The taste goes somewhat sideways: notes of grass, hoppy citrus and bitterness, greens, stinging lemon and lemongrass, garlic, and a very light butter in the background. Something is heavily amiss, though. I must just not like the sorachi variety, I guess. The body is a very light medium, with an active carbonation and a dry, strangely dusty feel. Overall, a pretty large disappointment that I chalk up to a distaste for the sorachi and the weird dusty feel.

3.2/5  rDev -21.8%

My first Sorachi Ace beer. Local beer guy saw me picking up Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale as usual & convinced me to try this one instead. Short summary - a perfectly respectable beer, but I'll be staying with the Tank 7 in future.

This was a large format bottle poured into pint glasses. I was startled by the amount of head - a lot more than I expect from a saison. Appearance is cloudy & unremarkable. Surprisingly low aroma beer in general - every description I've read talks of lemongrass, but I didn't catch it. Taste - the "other" hops seem to dominate over the Sorachi Ace. Very good on the amount of "sourness" that you get on the front of a saison, before settling into a hoppy back end. Mouthfeel is definitely on the dry side which I appreciate very much.

Obviously I need to try a couple more Sorachi hopped beers before I decide if they are worth the fuss for me. This is a very drinkable saison but not a great one.

3.23/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.24/5  rDev -20.8%

Bottle purchased in July in Niagara Falls, NY.

Pours slightly cloudy, pale straw yellow. Nice white head that retains, though only laces lightly. Lots of spice on the nose though accompanied by an off-putting aroma of vegetal that is quite clearly cauliflower. This is not what I'm looking for in a beer. A bit of faux-lemon in the crisp and dry body of the beer. Once again it isn't sitting well for me for what I want in a beer. The body though does have a nice black pepper taste to it... Dry and perfect mouthfeel with crisp carbonation, though the oddity of the aroma and taste knock this one right down...

look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Color: Light yellow, hazy with abundant white foam.
Aroma: mandarin, lemon and next to them the Belgian earthy accents. The aroma is slightly sweet with a hint of acidic white grape.
Taste: lemon, plus delicate "barn", again white grapes, slightly acidic. Mandarins hid somewhere, but left after their sweetness. All the time in the background accompanied by the Belgian, herbal accents. Generally, sour lemon is nicely balanced sweet fruit.
Gentian: dry, herbal, quite long, I would say that even slightly backlog but great fit with the rest. Saturation average, adequate. Alcohol, even though it is 7.2%, it is perfectly stowed away.

Brooklyn Sorachi Ace from Brooklyn Brewery