Brooklyn Sorachi Ace | Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery
New York, United States
brooklynbrewery.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

This is a saison featuring the rare Japanese-developed hop Sorachi Ace. The Sorachi Ace hop varietal is noted for its unique lemon zest/lemongrass aroma.

Added by rtepiak on 07-29-2009

4.2

Ratings: 2,854 |  Reviews: 714

2.5/5  rDev -38.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.56/5  rDev -37.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

cloudy light amber color. smell is alcohol and yeast. taste is the same but also fruit like. alcohol burn. as if beer could be a hard liqour. My first and maybe last saison. I am not a fan of Belgian style beers

Edit. 6-30-16
Funny how things work. Belgians are now my favorite style and i will need to revisit.

2.58/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Slechte reuk. Goede smaak maar nasmaak weer minder lekker.

2.6/5  rDev -36.3%

2.6/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

08/18/13
Cloudy whitish yellow. Big creamy head. Typical Belgian white though advertised as saison. Tart lemon. Pasty.
06/01/16
On tap at Killarneys.
Look:Light yellow, clear, small white head, legs.
Aroma: esters, grape, Apple.
Taste: more of the flavors in the aroma, but also a soapy taste.

Feel: thin for a saison.

Ok.

2.62/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with three fingers of white head. The head recedes into a nice white cap with some decent lacing.

S: Some sweet cloves and bubblegum aromas up front. A grassy hop aromas follow with a bit of a corn smell to them.

T: There are some spicy Belgian yeast flavors and bubblegum at first. The grass/corn hop flavors kick in afterward along with a touch of butter flavor and a light bitterness for the finish. Pretty strong metallic aftertaste.

M: Light body with medium carbonation, this beer is fairly crisp but could use a bit more carbonation feel.

O: Unfortunately, the metal aftertaste and the corn flavors kind of ruin this beer for me. I find similar flavor profiles in many American takes on Belgian styles, especially saisons and Belgian IPAs. It's not awful, but I had no desire to finish the entire bottle.

2.68/5  rDev -34.3%

2.71/5  rDev -33.6%

A: Pours a transparent yellow color. Kind of macro like. A bubbly two finger white head forms, and recedes to a ring after a minute. Light patchy lace is left.
S: Overwhelming soapy hops that really detracts. There is a light spice and lemon zest.
T: Just like the nose, overwhelming soapy hops. Dish detergent, and pin sol like. A lingering sweetness and a lemon peal flavor.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. A little on the thin side. I could finish the bottle if I had to, though I am not really interested in this.

This did not come together all that well for me, as just a Saison, or a beer. Soapy hops just takes over, and there are no other Saison qualities that I can find. Not something I would recommend.

2.73/5  rDev -33.1%

Interesting. I think if I had to drink beer I would drink this.

2.84/5  rDev -30.4%

Pour was sexy and although I want to like this beer, I can't get over the funky after taste.

2.84/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

From the second I poured this beer I didn't really like it. Too yellow. Not enough carbonation. Smell was decent, but nothing I wanted to linger over. The beer did improve as it warmed, but only enough to allow me to finish drinking the bottle. Too bitter, almost caustic. Not really dry. Aside from all those negatives I didn't like the flavor, although I can see how that would be a subjective element to this beer. Maybe something went haywire with the first bottling for 12 oz 4-packs? Glad I only bought the single.

2.85/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

The lemongrass and pepper lingers to long.

2.9/5  rDev -28.9%