Brooklyn Sorachi Ace | Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery
New York, United States
brooklynbrewery.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

This is a saison featuring the rare Japanese-developed hop Sorachi Ace. The Sorachi Ace hop varietal is noted for its unique lemon zest/lemongrass aroma.

Added by rtepiak on 07-29-2009

Ratings: 2,811 |  Reviews: 702
3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A solid 4. Pours a light straw yellow, bubbly with a nice creamy white foam. The nose is of light citrus, sweet grasses, hay and spice. Excellent citrus character, lemons and orange. Belgian yeast, light bubble gum and pepper there too. Light to medium mouthfeel with a dry champagne like finish. I like saisons and I liked this one.

3.89/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.37/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Brooklyn is one of my favorite brewers because it can produce great beers in all three traditions. For its best and most popular Belgians, Sorachi Ace is the only one I had not Had. Usually seen in bombers, I saw Sorachi in a small bottle in Binny's build-your-own-6-pack section and snagged it. And now, I know how much I was missing.

My review and my take-aways from others distills down to this: this is an original creation, but thoughtfully within the style. Its use of a flowery, lemony hop that encourages my imagination. But, the Ace remains soft in the mouth and goes well with mild, flavorful food.

Brooklyn's brewmaster, Garrett Oliver, published a seminal work in 2003 that I spent a lot of time with in the last year. "The Brewmasters Table" recommends tripels and strong Belgian pales with the dish I had tonight, which was pesto. Well I want Garrett and you to know that Sorachi complements pesto well, also.

My only concern with Sorachi is that I did not buy the big bottle. At this moment, I really want more.

12/21/16 In the deepest part of winter and America's discontent, I thought Belgian Darks were reinforcing my mood too much. (That is to say, I was depressed and it was Christmas.) So, I pulled out an Ace and was redeemed... at least as much as a good ale can. Search again was most of what I said above; and it made me pucker (which sour pusses don't do often.)
In addition to tasting Ace unaccompanied, I also had with my world famous vegetable stew. (The Ace goes with lighter dishes.) But , it was worth the lesson... to feel good despite the discontent.
No change in rating.

6/19/17 Bought a Brooklyn 12 pack and 3 were Sorachi. Again, I Have a welcome complement to food. Almost a friend of my cooking when my dish is sub-par.
6/24/17 Had in a test-taste with Indian food against the Duvel Beer Camp collaboration (also lemony). Sorachi went well enough because it is a great beer. But, IPAs remain my beer of choice for the spicier kitchens.

4.09/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2.5/5  rDev -38.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

2.33/5  rDev -42.9%

Nothing wrong with the look. But the prominent alcohol taste, unfortunately single handedly brings down the other categories. Sometimes more is less.

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle best by October, 2016 (2 months from):
Pours a nice yellow gold, with just a fuzzying haze. Fluffy white head that lasts strong until about a quarter of the beer is left, and lingers with *only* half surface coverage the remaining sips. Lacing is very, well... lacy.

Nose early shows a stronger lemon note with some herbal grassiness and a little yeast. Later in the pour, I get less lemon and more of what I find to be distinctly Sorachi, and what I think of as cocnutty - though maybe a Thai dish involving coconut milk might be a more accurate thought.

The opening is yeasty more than malty before the lemon notes hit. Quickly the lemongrass specific nature of the taste replaces any mistake for the citrus fruit. A little sweetness continues to buoy the notes as they shift toward a more herbal grassiness and then to that "coconut" note. I might argue its that thin brown skin of a coconut between the flesh and the shell.

This beer seemed more flat early in the taste than it does later, strangely. Maybe it holds its light carbonation well and when I am expecting a flatter beer, it delivers.

The whole beer has a fairly distinctive Brooklyn beer impression to it - guessing maybe the yeast? Been a while since I enjoyed one of these (and I never rated it??). I am not rating it as highly as I would've back then, but it isn't a long fall to this rating. Definitely will grab this again more quickly next time.

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

BB date 11/02/16 - Consumed 08/13/16 - No bottling date

Appearance- Pours a pale straw, bright golden color, mildly hazy. Finger thick, frothy, white colored head. Good amount of spotty head lacing on glass.

Aroma- Grassy, earthy spice, lots of zesty lemon. Belgian yeast, clove, fruity esters.

Taste- Lemon zest, slight citrus notes. Clove, spicy pepper, grassy. Crisp, grainy malts. Belgian yeast, dry herbs and pine.

Feel- Light bodied, very crisp and clean, dry finish. Moderate carbonation.

Overall- Very bright, crisp, zesty, and dry.

4.48/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.16/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.99/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz bottle into a -pint glass. Label said best by date printed on bottle, but I couldn't find a date on the bottle.

Straw yellow body, hazy, good head and lacing, many floaties.

Aroma of yeast, lemongrass, faintly fruity.

Lot going on in the taste department. not too tart, faint yeastiness, lemongrass,. A not unpleasant aftertaste, quite tingly on the tongue. Has some bite to it.

Mouth is around medium.

All in all an interesting and different beer. Quite enjoyable.

4.78/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Are you telling me that there's lemon or other citrus in it? Just hops?? This is definitely unique beer

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle

Pours hazy gold with a creamy white foam head. Smells like bready cereal malt, peach, vanilla, banana, clove, vinous white grape, spicy pepper, lemongrass, zesty lemony citrus, dill weed, with bitter floral earthy herbal pine. Tastes spicy and peppery, balanced by bready cereal grain malt notes, lemongrass, dill weed, zesty lemony citrus, vinous grape, vanilla, banana, clove, with bitter herbal earthy floral pine. Feels dry and crisp, medium bodied, creamy with moderate low carbonation. Overall a real nice and unique saison.

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.92/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.21/5  rDev +3.2%