Brooklyn Sorachi Ace | Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery
New York, United States
brooklynbrewery.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

This is a saison featuring the rare Japanese-developed hop Sorachi Ace. The Sorachi Ace hop varietal is noted for its unique lemon zest/lemongrass aroma.

Added by rtepiak on 07-29-2009

Ratings: 2,810 |  Reviews: 702

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%

3.2/5  rDev -21.6%

My first Sorachi Ace beer. Local beer guy saw me picking up Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale as usual & convinced me to try this one instead. Short summary - a perfectly respectable beer, but I'll be staying with the Tank 7 in future.

This was a large format bottle poured into pint glasses. I was startled by the amount of head - a lot more than I expect from a saison. Appearance is cloudy & unremarkable. Surprisingly low aroma beer in general - every description I've read talks of lemongrass, but I didn't catch it. Taste - the "other" hops seem to dominate over the Sorachi Ace. Very good on the amount of "sourness" that you get on the front of a saison, before settling into a hoppy back end. Mouthfeel is definitely on the dry side which I appreciate very much.

Obviously I need to try a couple more Sorachi hopped beers before I decide if they are worth the fuss for me. This is a very drinkable saison but not a great one.

With the rampant availability of this in my area, I'm smacking myself in the head for not having tried this sooner. Picked up a bomber at the local Stop & Shop. It definitely needs to warm a bit before all the complexity comes out. First glass was a bit too cold and I found it good but not great. Second glass, I let sit for about 10 minutes and that's when this beer really shined. Very pleasant mild funk on the nose with grass and lemon interwoven. Poured out with a nice head that held on till I drained the glass. Kind of earthy taste, again with the grass and lemon. And it goes down quite easily. A very good beer which I will definitely buy again; and can find virtually anywhere.

Brooklyn Sorachi Ace from Brooklyn Brewery